Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Grey Wolf

Donor
Most technologically advanced world possible with a POD of after WWII? It's a 1-liner, so it's in the miscellaneous thread.
Space exploration has been shown to drive technologies that one might not even consider associated with it. No Vietnam War, and no 1973 Oil Crisis, and keep the Apollo programme going, with the aim of inaugurating a Mars missions ASAP. Maybe the USSR stays out of Afghanistan and can continue to compete at the higher end

Why wasn't Mauretania ever able to ban slavery? Or is this a case of "banned on paper, happens in practice because the government is too weak?"

AHC : Make a majority european/white country in Africa from 1900, how is this plausible ?
Make a independent Bir Tawil during the times of British influence in Egypt and Sudan, populated by British?:
1280px-Topographic_Map_of_Bir_Tawil.png

Aka, make the part of sand that nobody wants a little independent country with at least some persons of white origin.
Maybe make it the British Las Vegas or something I don't know XD.

Why wasn't Mauretania ever able to ban slavery? Or is this a case of "banned on paper, happens in practice because the government is too weak?"
It was banned under French rule (but few were ever prosecuted because it wasn't really a concern), but no slavery ban was ever issued after the end of colonialism so it was legal again. They banned slavery in 1980 but the law was unenforceable until 2007 due to how it was written. Right now the government does occasionally prosecute people for slavery, but is just as likely to prosecute abolitionists since claiming there is slavery in Mauritania is considered un-Islamic and subversive to the government since the majority of slaveholders are/were powerful people.

Make a independent Bir Tawil during the times of British influence in Egypt and Sudan, populated by British?:
1280px-Topographic_Map_of_Bir_Tawil.png

Aka, make the part of sand that nobody wants a little independent country with at least some persons of white origin.
Maybe make it the British Las Vegas or something I don't know XD.
Hahahaha I was more thinking about countries where there is a strong european minority such as Namibia, South Africa, I'm asking for an eventual POD I have in mind

JosephWorld

Banned
Were nuclear bombs necessary to make Japan surrender? I have read a theory that explains that the Japanese surrender was, in any case, imminent in the summer of 1945 and that the war would not have lasted more than a few weeks even if the United States had not dropped atomic bombs. The United States would have simply dropped atomic bombs to precipitate the Japanese surrender, to prevent the Soviets from taking control of all of China, all of Korea, and even northern Japan, and to make the world believe that the United States was the only one who defeated the Japanese...

What if ww1 was britain russia and austria hungary against france germany and italy? (Ignore how this would happen just imagine it did, what would be the results)

I think it is reasonable that Russia being such an antagonist on the world stage has allowed the EU to justify further centralization further. If Russia was more peaceful, how far could European integration go?