The Forge of Weyland

Deleted member 94680

Were there any serious propositions to expand the FAA to take over Coastal Command and the like?

Or even the same for the Army Air Corps to be a Tactical Airforce?

When Bowman replaced Clansman as the standard battlefield radio in the British Army, the conversion course that everyone had to do included a warning not to lick the radios.

Why would they feel the need to include a warning about something so stupid, unless...

When you buy any yard or DYI equipment take a look at all of the silly warning stickers on it and wonder "Why do they need to warn me about that?".. Weeeell.

To be fair the bombers usually did.
Whether or not they did anything useful when they got there remains the great debate about strategic bombing that remains debated to this day...
Reading the USAF's own post-war audits on how effective strategic bombing was a real eye-opener for me, both for its frank assessments and the conclusions of 'eh... not really'.

Were there any serious propositions to expand the FAA to take over Coastal Command and the like?

Or even the same for the Army Air Corps to be a Tactical Airforce?

The problem is that the RAF and Air Ministry were very much a mirror image of Goering in one aspect. "If its got wings its mine, mine, mine and you can't have the precious".

After I left the army a guy in the factory I worked in was hospitalized after sticking his tongue on the terminals of a 9V battery for a bet! Also don't piss on the ground spike.
Hunh? That's a standard science fair kind of thing to do. All you should get is a tingle.
Sure it wasn't something else, and he CLAIMED it was only a 9v?

The RAF brass wasn't too keen on spending money on fighters. It went against their mantra that "The bomber will always get through".
To be fair the bombers usually did.
That was before the invention and development of RADAR. Once RADAR appears, the bomber will never get through.

The populations of Hamburg, The Ruhr, Berlin and Dresden aged over 80 beg to differ. Germany had a substantial radar network.
They could detect them but they were unable to 100% intercept them. In the UK, they were able to intercept most incoming raids and attack their formations of yes, bombers...

The populations of Hamburg, The Ruhr, Berlin and Dresden aged over 80 beg to differ. Germany had a substantial radar network.
While true, how many nights did RAF aircrews spend bombing the bejesus out of fields? Didn't Germany think the RAF were bombing cattle on purpose? The RAF relied mainly on luck and persistance early on. Night fighters were kind of second place compared to German air defence crews starting fires in the woods to trick the bombers following the pathfinder flights.

Glyndwr01

Banned
While true, how many nights did RAF aircrews spend bombing the bejesus out of fields? Didn't Germany think the RAF were bombing cattle on purpose? The RAF relied mainly on luck and persistance early on. Night fighters were kind of second place compared to German air defence crews starting fires in the woods to trick the bombers following the pathfinder flights.
If I remember right they were told not to bomb privately owned factories in the early months of the war, because the powers that be were worried about legal action!