Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

The Papal State and their vassal Marches in 1453 (The color is a bit darker than normal so you can actually see the vassal outlines.)
1610039782657.png

:) Thanks! May I ask for what specifically?
im pretending im writing a story set in 1429 onwards, and the confidence you are putting done lines with is very reassuring. im more of a compositer than a drawer, and there are a couple conflicting depictions of this time period on the site as well as coastlines. so for u swoop in and make a map fresh from source materials that address both is a real relief.

im pretending im writing a story set in 1429 onwards, and the confidence you are putting done lines with is very reassuring. im more of a compositer than a drawer, and there are a couple conflicting depictions of this time period on the site as well as coastlines. so for u swoop in and make a map fresh from source materials that address both is a real relief.
Nice!

Navarre's borders, more specifically that bit that extends south of the Basque counties, looks a bit odd. What are your sources on this, if you don't mind me asking?
Castile gained that panhandle in the 1460s, it was Navarran before, my source is Ollie Bye's History of Iberia: Every Year (2020)

Castile gained that panhandle in the 1460s, it was Navarran before, my source is Ollie Bye's History of Iberia: Every Year (2020)
I would not rely too heavily on those "history of X every year" videos, they are often inaccurate... expect for the ones by @Admiral A. Kolchak of course.

For some advice, I like to cross-reference multiple sources before mapping an area. Maps from academic papers/books and up to date atlases are generally the best. (The one below is from an Italian paper on the spheres of influence in Italy during the 1450s for instance). I would slow down some so you can make sure that you are really mapping the situation accurately, especially if your references are from decades or even centuries prior/future to the date being mapped. Also when possible try to find and read information on the history of the polities for the year you are mapping.

With just a cursory glance of your recent patches, for instance, central Italy is way way off.

Here this is a map from my hoard collection of the Papal States in 1455.

Left map is all the territories de jure under the Pope, while on the Right map is the de facto situation and territory subject to the Papacy in 1455. Only the areas colored in yellow on left map are domains owned by/ fiefs which at the time were de facto subject to the Pope. Everything else was under the influence of another Italian State or otherwise "independent"... though that's not really the proper word for it.

PapStat1455.jpg

The Orsini Principality of Taranto is also slightly off but I can't seem to find my maps of it right now, apologies.

I did a bit of collecting info and resources on Iberia and Sardinia, and I have plenty more maps from this period lying around somewhere on my computer. I will try to send what I can if I end of having time. I'd map some of it myself but I try not to intrude on other people's projects like that.

Last edited:
a patch for koreanic languages (korean and jeju), with respective dialectic zones for either

Attachments

• koreanic_langs.png
    koreanic_langs.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 261
I would not rely too heavily on those "history of X every year" videos, they are often inaccurate... expect for the ones by @Admiral A. Kolchak of course.

For some advice, I like to cross-reference multiple sources before mapping an area. Maps from academic papers/books and up to date atlases are generally the best. (The one below is from an Italian paper on the spheres of influence in Italy during the 1450s for instance). I would slow down some so you can make sure that you are really mapping the situation accurately, especially if your references are from decades or even centuries prior/future to the date being mapped. Also when possible try to find and read information on the history of the polities for the year you are mapping.

With just a cursory glance of your recent patches, for instance, central Italy is way way off.

Left map is all the territories de jure under the Pope, while on the Right map is the de facto situation and territory subject to the Papacy in 1455. Only the areas colored in yellow on left map are domains owned by/ fiefs which at the time were de facto subject to the Pope. Everything else was under the influence of another Italian State or otherwise "independent"... though that's not really the proper word for it.

View attachment 614498

The Orsini Principality of Taranto is also slightly off but I can't seem to find my maps of it right now, apologies.

I did a bit of collecting info and resources on Iberia and Sardinia, and I have plenty more maps from this period lying around somewhere on my computer. I will try to send what I can if I end of having time. I'd map some of it myself but I try not to intrude on other people's projects like that.
I didn't use History of X videos for much, actually, just a few things. For the Papal States, I've used these two maps: https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/apenninica/apenninica_1500.html https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Repubblica_Venezia_espansione_in_Terraferma.png And on the Italian wiki for History of Venice, which was extremely detailed, showed the acquisition of some northern Papal duchies to Venice. Also, your map does show Ferrara incorrectly, it was an entirely independent duchy ruled by the d'Este, not Papal in any way. Actually, I've used the Italian Wikipedia quite a bit, since it is extremely detailed in the history of Italy.

View attachment 614498

Also I would love some other maps/sources, but yeah please don't make the map for me lol

I didn't use History of X videos for much, actually, just a few things. For the Papal States, I've used these two maps: https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/apenninica/apenninica_1500.html https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Repubblica_Venezia_espansione_in_Terraferma.png And on the Italian wiki for History of Venice, which was extremely detailed, showed the acquisition of some northern Papal duchies to Venice. Also, your map does show Ferrara incorrectly, it was an entirely independent duchy ruled by the d'Este, not Papal in any way. Actually, I've used the Italian Wikipedia quite a bit, since it is extremely detailed in the history of Italy.
You misunderstand the map, Ferrara was a part of the Donation of Pepin, making it de jure a subject of the Papacy, but as you said the e'Este ruled it with virtual independence, though they were in reality under Venetian and Milanese influence. As I said, everything in the map on the right not in yellow was de jure subject to the Pope, but not de facto.

Here's the holdings of the Apulian branch of the Orsini family in 1459 (the Princes of Taranto), its the closest I have to one of 1453.
img-6.jpg

(From I domini del principe di Taranto in età orsiniana (1399-1463). Geografie e linguaggi politici alla fine del Medioevo by Francesco Somaini)

There were many other large fiefdoms in the Kingdom of Naples at the time though.

Venice 1454-1455 (ignore the lighter shaded portions, except with reference to borders of the polities, they are "it merely shows the Venetian "sphere of influence" as seen by Venice)
img-1.JPG

Milan 1454-1455 (same principle for the lighter shades as above)
img-2.JPG

Also Castiglione della Pescaia was part of the Crown of Aragon.

Apologies for the map spam everyone.