The Forge of Weyland

'I'm sorry Mr. Christie, but a tank does not qualify as a "farm tractor" just because you've drawn it next to a cow.'
'It does in Russia!' (storms off yelling about the quality of the American education system)

IIRC Christie suspension was kind of a dead end and whilst it offers advantages it does have some major drawbacks on the volume taken up inside a tank, so now with that out the way, what will the UK go with for its cruiser tanks?

IIRC Christie suspension was kind of a dead end and whilst it offers advantages it does have some major drawbacks on the volume taken up inside a tank, so now with that out the way, what will the UK go with for its cruiser tanks?
Likely an improved bogie suspension which shouldn't cost much in terms of maximum speed compared to what the Brits had OTL (most Cruisers did 48-51 kph tops). Doesn't take as much space, springs are easy to access, possibly less oscillations at high speeds, more stable firing platform but arguably worse vertical wheel travel and somewhat heavier. The major advantage is that it's less sensitive to weight increases and is not limited to 35 tons so combined.

Torsion bars might be used in the long run but it was only used on Assault Tank designs of the Tortoise family, and even then it was a really weird layout. Vickers did it postwar so it's still possible they use that in WW2 by 1943 or so.

Most likely an improved Horstman. That will be adequate, the fast speeds Christie allowed were fairly useless in a real battle. It worked for the Sherman and Centurian, after all. Note that Carden et al have already gone with a Horstman type due to it's weight on their proposed Infantry tank. They may also look at horizontal/vertical volute, its the end of 1936 so they do have time to experiment a bit. Torsion bar is in use in Swedish tanks, they may look at that too. But it's only been implemented on light tanks, scaling may well be a problem (the Germans didn't exactly get it working fast and on time).
Horstman will give them more space in the tank for a given width (useful with railway limits), and is easier to fix in the field.

The Sherman ended up with, effectively, a Horstman suspension using horizontal volute springs in lieu of the British coils. The Centurion stayed with coils. Horstman is well up to the job, allowing more hull space and easier maintenance and faster repairs.

I'd agree they go with a Horstman suspension variant. They're scrambling for new tanks and wouldn't wish to take a chance with a novel system that they have no experience with.

"Don't worry, Mr. Christie. We're from the Government and we're here to help..."
"... make sure you don't do anything we wouldn't approve of."
Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just acting as an agent of chaos/pointing out that "Tracks" and "Military Vehicle" aren't entirely synonymous.

(If memory serves, the Landship committee imported a tracked tractor from the USA during the design work for the first tanks.)

"... make sure you don't do anything we wouldn't approve of."

Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just acting as an agent of chaos/pointing out that "Tracks" and "Military Vehicle" aren't entirely synonymous.

(If memory serves, the Landship committee imported a tracked tractor from the USA during the design work for the first tanks.)
That's true, but I'm not sure there's really a market for a 70mph farm tractor in the UK...

They already had some Holt artillery tractors, which were the basis of the first tank tracks. And the Holt was an American version, and slight improvement IIRC, on the Hornsby track system that they had turned down pre-war.

That's true, but I'm not sure there's really a market for a 70mph farm tractor in the UK...
Depends on if you ask the farmers kids or not.

marathag

Banned
Most likely an improved Horstman.
Israeli Merkava use a leading/trailing arm with coil spring, and then just trailing with the III
1608729445886.jpeg

1608729478010.png
1608729939136.png

So that's either half a Horstmann or Christie with smaller wheel and unit not behind armor
This is Centurion
zHlOP5kq6LiSheHbxLI9yqVoAdkF7vhdrj_uOvJFvP39N_0npysEYh_2dK4q1L3N3MMAaCOTTwRgSWN_M9furzmnYy42hddI-s2m7sM2BM4VfK2yj9s79Xbhlc9hu327OCtLdXCB9vAwlk_wO16_lpagm3Ey--pb2wWcxDTR
1608730406116.jpeg

The big difference?
Christie uses longer arms, allowing more travel, and is protected by outer armor plate
Comet
fz57mtR.png

where it had improved Christie with a shock absorber, and at an angle
T-34
1608730850840.png

marathag

Banned
. And the Holt was an American version, and slight improvement IIRC, on the Hornsby track system that they had turned down pre-war.
both developed independently, Holt was a better businesman, selling the crawlers all over Europe. That's why it was the basis for UK, French, and German Tank development in WWI

both developed independently, Holt was a better businesman, selling the crawlers all over Europe. That's why it was the basis for UK, French, and German Tank development in WWI
AIUI Hornsby sold his patents to Holt in 1912/1913. The complicated Hornsby tracks were not of much use to Holt, but the differential, controlling the vehicle by applying power to one side or the other, became the standard on tracked vehicles. So, yes, Holt being an improved Hornsby is incorrect, but they were not totally independent in design.

Israeli Merkava use a leading/trailing arm with coil spring, and then just trailing with the III
View attachment 610294
View attachment 610295View attachment 610296
So that's either half a Horstmann or Christie with smaller wheel and unit not behind armor
This is Centurion
zHlOP5kq6LiSheHbxLI9yqVoAdkF7vhdrj_uOvJFvP39N_0npysEYh_2dK4q1L3N3MMAaCOTTwRgSWN_M9furzmnYy42hddI-s2m7sM2BM4VfK2yj9s79Xbhlc9hu327OCtLdXCB9vAwlk_wO16_lpagm3Ey--pb2wWcxDTR
View attachment 610297

The big difference?
Christie uses longer arms, allowing more travel, and is protected by outer armor plate
Comet
fz57mtR.png

where it had improved Christie with a shock absorber, and at an angle
T-34
View attachment 610301
Those are interesting photos, I knew the Christie suspension took up room, but I didn't realise it was as dramatic as that!

IIRC the only tanks that have individual road wheels independently sprung by coil springs are the Merkava and the Vickers Valiant.

I think Christie's best bet to sell his suspension would be as a high-speed manure or fertilizer spreader. Such a vehicle would need a good payload (in place of armor and a turret), off-road mobility provided by tracks, and high road speed to reduce cycle times.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
AIUI Hornsby sold his patents to Holt in 1912/1913. The complicated Hornsby tracks were not of much use to Holt, but the differential, controlling the vehicle by applying power to one side or the other, became the standard on tracked vehicles. So, yes, Holt being an improved Hornsby is incorrect, but they were not totally independent in design.
going from 'Little Willie' to the Mk I, something got lost as they went to independent crash gearbox transmissions for each side, shifting gears to get the difference in speed for the tracks in each side.
So it steered more like a Naval Vessel, rather than every other crawler, that used a differential to split power and to steer.
That why the WWI rhomboids had half the crew set aside for steering the damn thing
Landship, indeed.