AHC: An actual Wild Wild West

Occurred to me that, for all the talk about freedom and states' rights, that the CSA wasn't at all shy about restricting the movement and personal freedoms of its citizens... they had a system of "internal passports" that quite pre-dated the Soviet ones... The thought of grey-waistcoated men stopping passing travelers (no doubt in a steam carriage :p) to inquire "your papers, please" is NOT that far-fetched! :)

Speaking of steam carriages...
trevithick-4.jpg

Virot_Steam_Carriage_1887.jpg

francis-goeltner-francisgoeltner-hypothermia-20-steamcarriage-s.jpg
Funny thing is the first steam car was technically built the 1770's by a french inventor so it's honestly not to much of stretch.

Speaking of steam carriages...
trevithick-4.jpg

Virot_Steam_Carriage_1887.jpg

francis-goeltner-francisgoeltner-hypothermia-20-steamcarriage-s.jpg
Funny thing is the first steam car was technically built the 1770's by a french inventor so it's honestly not to much of stretch.
Not a stretch at all... main issue was infrastructure. With the building of canals, and then railroads, road construction lagged terribly. Most roads were uniformly terrible throughout the 1800's...

Checkpoint Charlie on the Potomac, the great North American dreadnought race, an early version of the dreadful British K-Boat steam submarines... silent-but-deadly pneumatic cannon/dynamite guns... steam "war-wagons"... in the civilian field, maybe pneumatic-tube trains in areas where traditional rail construction is too difficult... earlier development of vaccuum tube and CRT technology would have some interesting implications... all kinds of things could be worked into this, not to mention the political and social implications of a North American Cold War... and not all of it ASB, strictly speaking - since most of the technology was already there, just in its infancy and in bits-n-pieces...
Dammit now I have the "Mission: Impossible" theme in my head :p
Well that may be a bit out there crystal set radio's wouldn't be to far of a stretch and we've already talked about the successful development of mechanical computers so perhaps things could be slightly teslapunk?
Not a stretch at all... main issue was infrastructure. With the building of canals, and then railroads, road construction lagged terribly. Most roads were uniformly terrible throughout the 1800's...
Very true. They'd have to be pretty solid all terrain vehicles in that case.

How about steam turbine trains?
Or Fandpm or Books & Media.
Admittedly I thought of doing "a Cattlepunk Wild West" but I figured it wouldn't be so well recieved.

Well that may be a bit out there crystal set radio's wouldn't be to far of a stretch and we've already talked about the successful development of mechanical computers so perhaps things could be slightly teslapunk?

Very true. They'd have to be pretty solid all terrain vehicles in that case.

How about steam turbine trains?
Steam turbine trains were developed in the 20th Century... I believe Sweden and Switzerland used a few turbine locos for a while. I think the fuel consumption was higher and low-speed efficiency was an issue. Also had the misfortune of being developed right as diesels were gaining in popularity.
What I've wondered before is, what if the gas-turbine engine was developed earlier for terrestrial/maritime use (sort of like the old Union Pacific GTEL locos) before the development of heavier-than-air flight? The technology's not complex (need good metallurgy though) and they can burn crap fuels like Bunker "C" Oil (at least until the blades get fouled)...
19th Century hydrofoils, or ground-effect vehicles like the later Russian "Ekranoplans" (except slower, of course) would be an interesting thing... maybe ground-effect vehicles developed before "true" HTA flight?

Steam turbine trains were developed in the 20th Century... I believe Sweden and Switzerland used a few turbine locos for a while. I think the fuel consumption was higher and low-speed efficiency was an issue. Also had the misfortune of being developed right as diesels were gaining in popularity.
What I've wondered before is, what if the gas-turbine engine was developed earlier for terrestrial/maritime use (sort of like the old Union Pacific GTEL locos) before the development of heavier-than-air flight? The technology's not complex (need good metallurgy though) and they can burn crap fuels like Bunker "C" Oil (at least until the blades get fouled)...
19th Century hydrofoils, or ground-effect vehicles like the later Russian "Ekranoplans" (except slower, of course) would be an interesting thing... maybe ground-effect vehicles developed before "true" HTA flight?
Hiram Maxim's steam-powered contraption proved itself capable of leaving the ground... controllability once in the air would've been another matter (hence the fact that he discontinued the attempt):
Maybe with an early discovery of aerodynamic ground effect, and with engines with a sufficient power-to-weight ratio, you could've seen a Lake Michigan Sea Monster well before the Caspian Sea Monster :p

Very large-long freight wagons employing sail assist on suitable great plains routes with reliable winds. Possibly using exist RR tracks. Better and more high speed RR tracks. More deep dug out underground dwellings and structures to resist weather-climate. More-earlier evaporative wind powered swamp coolers. (ac) Evaporative (sp?) ice making machines in desert areas or anywhere else where possible. More telegraph connections with quicker telephone upgrades. Better beers and rotguts.

Very large-long freight wagons employing sail assist on suitable great plains routes with reliable winds. Possibly using exist RR tracks. Better and more high speed RR tracks. More deep dug out underground dwellings and structures to resist weather-climate. More-earlier evaporative wind powered swamp coolers. (ac) Evaporative (sp?) ice making machines in desert areas or anywhere else where possible. More telegraph connections with quicker telephone upgrades. Better beers and rotguts.
All intriguing ideas. Wind power especially was very much a thing in the nascent days of electricity... what would a farm be without a windmill? :)
But as to the last sentence... before Prohibition, there was a VAST array of beers and assorted rotguts that were available on the North American continent... Damn those teetotalers, damn them!! :openedeyewink:

Hiram Maxim's steam-powered contraption proved itself capable of leaving the ground... controllability once in the air would've been another matter (hence the fact that he discontinued the attempt):
Maybe with an early discovery of aerodynamic ground effect, and with engines with a sufficient power-to-weight ratio, you could've seen a Lake Michigan Sea Monster well before the Caspian Sea Monster :p
Well there has been a number of Steam powered aircraft over the course of the 19th and 20th including the besler steam plane in 1933. Actually with the various improvements in metallurgy that would be necessary for such steam vehicles we might also internal combustion engines developing a bit faster. Maybe to the point that the 1880s and 90s are a mix of steampunk and dieselpunk.

With everyone in the frontier western town gathering at the local salon to listen to the boxing match on the radio.
Actually the first modern air conditioner was developed in the 1840's by the Floridan doctor John Gorrie. Perhaps in this timeline with the rapid technological advancements the technology could become widespread.
All intriguing ideas. Wind power especially was very much a thing in the nascent days of electricity... what would a farm be without a windmill? :)
But as to the last sentence... before Prohibition, there was a VAST array of beers and assorted rotguts that were available on the North American continent... Damn those teetotalers, damn them!! :openedeyewink:
Prohibition... America's dumbest and biggest mistake.

Out in the vast lands west of the Mississippi, trains and steamboats would deliver specially-equipped steam engine cars to towns, forts, and watering stops. The steam engine cars had the ability to slowly move themselves away from their unloading area. Where the steam cars went, light rail lines would follow, or lead the way; these cars were well known for their slowness.* These engines were larger and more powerful than the steam tractors that were becoming common sights on farms throughout the Americas.

*Steam engine car chases featured in some of the earliest moving photo comedies. :)

Am I wrong to think that the boiler tank there would be an extremely easy target? I believe even in the earliest 20th century tanks they ensured the motor was the most heavily protected portion of the tank.
Nooo not wrong at all... don't think I'd want to be anywhere near the thing... much less inside it... once the artillery shells started coming in!

Wonder if the far future of this timeline would be vaguely Firefly/Outer Worlds esque.
Occurred to me that, for all the talk about freedom and states' rights, that the CSA wasn't at all shy about restricting the movement and personal freedoms of its citizens... they had a system of "internal passports" that quite pre-dated the Soviet ones... The thought of grey-waistcoated men stopping passing travelers (no doubt in a steam carriage :p) to inquire "your papers, please" is NOT that far-fetched! :)
Post-dates the French ones though, and Wikipedia tells me Sweden abolished theirs in 1860...
This is making me think of the Confederacy eventually falling to Communist revolutionaries and getting very dictatorial.

Am I wrong to think that the boiler tank there would be an extremely easy target? I believe even in the earliest 20th century tanks they ensured the motor was the most heavily protected portion of the tank.
Nooo not wrong at all... don't think I'd want to be anywhere near the thing... much less inside it... once the artillery shells started coming in!
The description makes me think it's less of a frontline combat vehicle and more like a patrol vehicle for the country side and urban ghettos.

The description makes me think it's less of a frontline combat vehicle and more like a patrol vehicle for the country side and urban ghettos.

Even then how thick would the metal there have to be withstand pot shots from .577 rounds from Martini Henry's for example?

Also what kind of country sides and ghettos are these being patrolled that would need multiple Gatling gunners??

Even then how thick would the metal there have to be withstand pot shots from .577 rounds from Martini Henry's for example?

Also what kind of country sides and ghettos are these being patrolled that would need multiple Gatling gunners??
Border guards! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Troops_of_the_German_Democratic_Republic
Or something similar, of course... this is a Cold War, after all...
But yeah, I'd say one good round from a Martini Henry would cause lots of hot shards of copper or iron, along with lots of scalding steam and boiling water everywhere in the vicinity, and essentially turn what was left of the contraption into a fixed battery :) But armour plates on each side may help with that...

What if portable Mini Gatlings had been evolved ?

For that extra steampunk touch in the Confed-Union Cold War, give the Confeds a souped-up version of the Winans Steam Gun. Also, let the confeds be the "submarine power" of this Cold War, like the Soviets were in our Cold War. I.e., the Confeds get souped-up, improved versions of the Hunley. Maybe ones capable of firing 19th century incendiary rockets at enemy targets, launched semi-vertically from hatches after the submarines surface. XD With the steam guns and incendiary rockets, the Confeds will also have steamwagon katyushas ! If you felt TL-191 had some silly Confederate tech-wankery, you ain't seen nothin' yet. :p

There should be freed and escaped slave resistance cells, supported and financed by the Union to wreck havoc in their great southern enemy. Some confeds would be like Afghan vets, LOL.

Also, lever-action rifles, good as they are, are kind of boring. For that extra steampunk flavour, maybe a cheaper alternative to them, used by some people, would be harmonica rifles. I don't know about you, but they always struck me as rather steampunky in terms of appearance and how their mechanism and magazine frame worked. Also, also, air rifles were actually quite advanced in the 19th century, including some repeater versions. Maybe you could use these for stealthy precision-sniping ? Otherwise, the Springfield and the Sharps cartridge rifles would be the Dragunovs or Accuracy International AWM of their day. Add some steampunk accessories, and you might get Victorian or Gilded Age equivalents of "tacticool". ;) :D

Brilliant!!! I'd also like to point out the 1995 tv series Legend featuring Richard Dean Anderson and John de Lance that also had quite a bit of steampunk.

Legend was often referred to, even at the time, as something of a spiritual successor to The Wild Wild West, sans the espionage genre elements.

A few years ago, I wrote a brief parody of it and the WWW franchise, with a Persian adventurer/spymaster and his Italian inventor buddy, solving crimes and busting nefarious villains in Renaissance era Europe. The title was the same, but it was a reference to the Persian character's initial disdain for Europe as a less civilised place, the "Wild Wild West" from his Persian perspective. ;) (And yes, the spoof included a send-up of the 1999 film, giant clockwork scorpion, "younger n' hipper" approach and bad reception as an overproduced remake included. The rap number in period Persian was well-received, though. :p)

Last edited:
What if portable Mini Gatlings had been evolved ?
How about the Gardner gun?
Border guards! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Troops_of_the_German_Democratic_Republic
Or something similar, of course... this is a Cold War, after all...
But yeah, I'd say one good round from a Martini Henry would cause lots of hot shards of copper or iron, along with lots of scalding steam and boiling water everywhere in the vicinity, and essentially turn what was left of the contraption into a fixed battery :) But armour plates on each side may help with that...
Sounds about right. Considering the Cold War & James Bond inspired aesthetic we're going with on this.

Guess some steel plates could help or it could be an early model that was replaced with a more conventional looking vehicle.
Legend was often referred to, even at the time, as something of a spiritual successor to The Wild Wild West, sans the espionage genre elements.

A few years ago, I wrote a brief parody of it and the WWW franchise, with a Persian adventurer/spymaster and his Italian inventor buddy, solving crimes and busting nefarious villains in Renaissance era Europe. The title was the same, but it was a reference to the Persian character's initial disdain for Europe as a less civilised place, the "Wild Wild West" from his Persian perspective. ;) (And yes, the spoof included a send-up of the 1999 film, giant clockwork scorpion, "younger n' hipper" approach and bad reception as an overproduced remake included. The rap number in period Persian was well-received, though. :p)
There's also the Adventures of Brisco County jr. that came out around the same time as Legend so I can see some of it leaking in too.

(You wouldn't happen to have a link to that story?)
For that extra steampunk touch in the Confed-Union Cold War, give the Confed's a souped-up version of the Winans Steam Gun. Also, let the confeds be the "submarine power" of this Cold War, like the Soviets were in our Cold War. I.e., the Confeds get souped-up, improved versions of the Hunley. Maybe ones capable of firing 19th century incendiary rockets at enemy targets, launched semi-vertically from hatches after the submarines surface. XD If you felt TL-191 had some silly Confederate tech-wankery, you ain't seen nothin' yet. :p

Also, lever-action rifles, good as they are, are kind of boring. For that extra steampunk flavour, maybe a cheaper alternative to them, used by some people, would be harmonica rifles. I don't know about you, but they always struck me as rather steampunky in terms of appearance and how their mechanism and magazine frame worked. Also, also, air rifles were actually quite advanced in the 19th century, including some repeater versions. Maybe you could use these for stealthy precision-sniping ? Otherwise, the Springfield and the Sharps cartridge rifles would be the Dragunovs or Accuracy International AWM of their day. Add some steampunk accessories, and you might get Victorian or Gilded Age equivalents of "tacticool". ;) :D
Well the Confederates were early pioneers in submarine warfare so I can see them expanding on that. Especially as they attempt to expand their influence into the Caribbean... who knows they might end up jumping on the colonial bandwagon.

As for lever action rifles they may not be steampunk in the usual sense but they sure fit with the wild west.