The Rainbow. A World War One on Canada's West Coast Timeline

Being Chased by Cruiser
Aug 19, 1610 hours. Dockyard Commander’s office, Esquimalt Naval Dockyard.

There was a knock on the door. A rating entered the office. “Sirs,” he said, “this message was just received, I thought it was important.” Several hands reached for the slip of paper, but the Senior Intelligence Officer ended up with it.

RRR SS DEMODOCUS BEING CHASED BY CRUISER RRR, he read. “She gives her position as Dixon Entrance, off Langara Point, Queen Charlotte Islands. This is a contemporary report. The only delay has been in the relay transmissions.”

All paused to consider the implications.

“The Otter reported contact with an unknown warship,” said the Senior Intelligence Officer. “This report and the other report from Dixon Entrance specifically mention a cruiser. It is possible the southern raider is an armed auxiliary.”

“If the Nürnberg was last sighted at…” began Captain Trousdale.

“1500 hours yesterday,” the junior intelligence officer finished his sentence for him. “by the Fisheries Patrol.”

“Then could the Nürnberg steam from Fitz Hugh Sound to Dixon Entrance in…”

“Twenty five hours,” the junior officer answered. “Yes, yes it could.”

“But could it leave Fitz Hugh Sound at 1500 hours on the 18th and be spotted coaling in Dixon Entrance at 1345 today?” asked the Senior Intelligence Officer.

“Again, yes,” answered the junior officer. “Nürnberg would only have to average 13 knots to make that distance,” he chuckled. “Why, even the Rainbow could cover that distance in that time…” His voice trailed off. All others in the room frowned.

The runner appeared at the door with another telegraph message.

HMCS RAINBOW TO HMCD ESQUIMALT WITNESSES CONFIRM NURNBERG SIGHTED 1500 HOURS AUG 18 FITZ HUGH SOUND ALONG WITH PRIZE PRINCESS CHARLOTTE CURRENT POSITION UNKNOWN STOP AM CONTINUING NORTH FROM BELLA BELLA TO PRINCE RUPERT UNLESS OTHER DESTINATION DESIRED STOP

Another runner came in on the heels of the first.

RRR SS DEMODOCUS BEING ORDERED TO STOP BY GERMAN CRUISER RRR

“This is remarkable,” said McBride. “This technology allows us to be flies on the wall to this tragedy, yet we are helpless. How long would Rainbow take to reach... what is it?”

“Langara Point Light,” said the junior officer. “Fourteen hours at her top speed,”

“It seems like the Nürnberg is content to stay marauding the north coast. We must send the Rainbow,” said McBride

“I concur,” said Trousdale. “The distances are great, but we will not force an action unless we seek the enemy.”

A different runner arrived at the office with a new message.

RRR SS DEMODOCUS GERMAN CRUISER WITH THREE FUNNELS HAS FIRED SHOT ACROSS OUR BOWS AM STOPPING

“Wait,” Trousdale told the runner. “He quickly scratched an outgoing message.

HMCD ESQUIMALT TO RAINBOW STOP PROCEED TO LANGARA POINT LIGHT AT BEST SPEED GERMAN CRUISER REPORTED IN VICINITY 1600 HOURS TODAY BELIEVED TO BE NURNBERG GODSPEED STOP – Naval Code. Transmit to Ikeda Bay and Dead Tree Stations.

“Take this to the Cryptography department,” ordered Trousdale. The rating ran off. “What state are the submarines in Lieutenant?”

“Boat One is on patrol now, perhaps as far as Sooke,” answered Keyes. “Boat Two is expected to be launched again before nightfall. The mechanics have addressed every fault that was identified. We will just have to cross our fingers.”

The first message runner arrived again, now breathing heavily.

RRR SS DEMODOCUS HOVE TO OFF LANGARA POINT GERMAN CRUISER NURNBERG BESIDE US AND PUTTING BOATS IN WATER

Nürnberg. There you have it,” said McBride.

“What is that merchant doing out there at all,” asked Keyes. “I thought there was a shipping stop?”

“Some don’t get the message, for whatever reason,” said Trousdale. “It hardly matters now.”

“I say,” asked McBride, “What is it with these messages and runners?”

“The messages arrive at the Dominion Wireless Station at Shotbolt Hill,” answered Trousdale, “then they are repeated by land telegraph to the Dockyard telegraph station, then they are brought where they are needed. In this case here. Why?”

“Would it not be faster for the wireless station to telephone, in an urgent situation?” asked McBride.

“I suppose…” pondered Trousdale, “but then this is the way it has always been done.”

The office door had been left open so that the procession of message runners would not have to submit to the formality of knocking.

The runner arrived, now thoroughly panting.

RRR SS DEMODOCUS BEING BOARDED LAST TRANSMISSION

But if it somehow is accurate and Rainbow runs into Nurnberg... very interesting, even if Rainbow is sunk by a much more modern vessel than herself

Hard hearted
Aug 19, 1625 hours. Dockyard Commander’s office, Esquimalt Naval Dockyard.

Lieutenant Keyes left the Dockyard Commander’s office to supervise the remaining work on the submarine CC-2.

“Has any attempt been made to garrison Prince Rupert?” asked Trousdale.

“A squadron of the 30th British Columbia Horse is deploying to Prince Rupert as we speak. By train this time,” answered McBride. “The last thing we need is for another militia unit on a troopship to get captured, or worse.”

“Cavalry?” asked Trousdale.

“The 30th BC Horse is the nearest unit. In Vernon. They are leaving their horses behind. Prince Rupert is also raising local militia, but they are at the early stages.”

The Intelligence officers began putting away their materials.

“Wait,” interjected Premier McBride. “Leave the map out. The officers leaned over, the table, surveying the coastline. “Unless it is the intent of the Nürnberg to linger, she could go anywhere in the time Rainbow takes to reach Langara Point. We have some assets closer, do we not?”

“The Fisheries Patrol ship CGS Falcon is at Masset,” said Trousdale. “And the Fisheries Launch Josephine.” The Falcon is a steam tug capable of 10 and a half knots I believe, and she has a wireless. But no armament.”

“Armament on a tug will be of no consequence if she meets the Nürnberg. Her wireless is her armament. How soon could she reach Langara Point?”

“If she has steam up, three and a half hours,” answered the junior intelligence officer.

“That is still a long time,” said McBride. “But at least she will get there before dark.”

“The keeper at Langara Point Light should have a ringside view of the action,” said the Senior Intelligence Officer. The light is on a 30 foot concrete tower, on top of a cliff.”

“If he has visibility, and line of sight,” said Trousdale. “Too bad the lighthouse has no wireless.”

“What if we send the Falcon, to investigate, and have the Josephine follow, to observe?” McBride floated the question.

“You mean, to see if the Falcon gets sunk,” said Trousdale. “That is hard hearted.”

“It would be a shame for the Falcon to simply disappear, and we learn nothing for all her effort,” said McBride. “This is war, after all. Perhaps the Josephine could pick up survivors.” McBride shrugged hopefully. “Look, we have to use the resources we have to the utmost effect, we simply don’t have very much to work with.”

“Yes, yes, very well,” said Trousdale.

“Sir, if I may,” said the Senior Intelligence Officer, “We do not know the intentions of the Nürnberg. She could go south through Hecate Strait, or out to the open Pacific, or even over to work the Russian coast. I recommend putting all of the Fisheries Patrol resources out to sea, as much as possible, to maintain a watch on the coast. I know the launches do not have wireless sets, but we could establish some system, coast watchers looking for different colours of flares. Something to extend our picture of vessels moving on the coast.

“The Newington is patrolling Queen Charlotte Sound now,” said Trousdale, “and the Alcedo will be patrolling the Georgia Strait as far north as Seymour Narrows, once her engine work is done.”

“I suggest we move our patrols more forward”, said the Senior Intelligence officer. “Have Newington patrol Hecate Strait as far north as Sandspit, and have the Alcedo patrol Queen Charlotte Sound. The Falcon can patrol the approaches to Dixon entrance. The launches can patrol the Inside Passage, where they are more protected from the weather.”

“In Juan de Fuca Strait, we should have the Restless and the Malaspina patrolling as far out as Cape Flattery,” he continued. “That will give us an extra hour of notice if an attempt to force the Strait is made. That is my advice, from an intelligence perspective, sir.”

“Yes, we could adapt a more aggressive posture,” agreed Trousdale. “We are decisively trailing in this game of cat and mouse.”

“That is because,” said McBride, “we are most decidedly not the cat.”

or out to the open Pacific, or even over to work the Russian coast

Both of these are rather unlikely. The Russian shore is darn close to the Japanese navy, even if the the Russians can't muster anything. The Pacific is vast, which makes it unlikely that they'll be found...but harder to find anyone to harass. No, working over the Canadians is the best thing for the short term, and honestly has about the biggest material effect of anything they could do.

“Yes, we could adapt a more aggressive posture,” agreed Trousdale. “We are decisively trailing in this game of cat and mouse.”

“That is because,” said McBride, “we are most decidedly not the cat.”

That's a great line to wrap things up. Love this yarn :)

Has anyone thought of getting any aircraft available to perform rudimentary scouting? I doubt Canada has any aircraft at this time, especially so early in the war, but with how rampant Nurnberg is running unchecked, perhaps some thought should be given to the matter?

Driftless

Donor
Has anyone thought of getting any aircraft available to perform rudimentary scouting? I doubt Canada has any aircraft at this time, especially so early in the war, but with how rampant Nurnberg is running unchecked, perhaps some thought should be given to the matter?

It would almost need to be a float plane or seaplane, given the very limited range of planes in that era and the mountainous shoreline. You'd need to set up a quick & dirty group of bases for refueling, probably near Victoria/Vancouver? The often foggy weather is no help though

In 1914, even if a craft is available, I'd say there's an even money chance that it can't get airborne at a given time for any number of reasons. That, and there's a not insignificant chance that, even without help, the aircraft may be victim to an unplanned rapid aerial disassembly.

Regardless as you note, I doubt that the backwoods of Canada have many around. Any that are around, operational radius is small, probably no more than 150 nm at the high end. Also note that there will not be any aircraft with radios, so your aircraft needs to get off the ground, find and correctly identify the target, and get safely back on the ground to report. I emphasize correctly identify, because even through WW2, aircraft scouts were often ludicrously incorrect in identification.

So, as far I can gather ITTL Italy stays out meaning that there's no war in North Africa, the Atlantic and Med are pretty firmly in Allied hands and Japan aren't getting any further than Indochina. Does this mean that the Nazis and Japan basically go for Russia with few distractions and with the idea of carving it up between them, maybe at the Yenisei River?

Without US support can France and the UK do much to reclaim mainland France?

Oops. Wrong thread. :hushedface:

Last edited:
So, as far I can gather ITTL Italy stays out meaning that there's no war in North Africa, the Atlantic and Med are pretty firmly in Allied hands and Japan aren't getting any further than Indochina. Does this mean that the Nazis and Japan basically go for Russia with few distractions and with the idea of carving it up between them, maybe at the Yenisei River?

Without US support can France and the UK do much to reclaim mainland France?

Wrong war.

In deference to the posts after this about the challenges of airplanes;

Wouldn't it have made more sense to take the money they spent on the two subs and buy as many planes and supporting facilities as possible? If you could set up 6 to 8 patrol areas I would think that would be more valuable then whatever the subs will give???

Plus when you lose contact with a particular telegraph office a scout plane going 80mph is going to be much faster then a boat doing 12mph.