MotF 207: Come Hell For Hot Water

MotF 207: Come Hell For Hot Water
The Challenge

Make a map showing a country which has gained control of a valuable port.

The Restrictions

There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.
If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
---

Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Monday, November 18th, 2019 (Extended by one week).
---

PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES TO THE MAIN THREAD.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread.
If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post.

Remember to vote on MotF 206!

Last edited:
History of the World Port of St. Petersburg: 3rd Edition

The history of the Prussiyns has not been an good one, however, unlike some other baltic tribes, like the Livonians, they have survived and thrived in one of the most important areas in the world. Their history first began, at least to modern historians, in the 9th century, when the famed missionary Adalbert of Prague met with the High chiefs of the Prussiyn tribes and offered them protection from the vikings and the other baltic tribes, if they converted to Christianity. They reluctantly accepted the offer, and Adalbert was later made a saint (post his death) due to him converting most of the baltic region, which is now part of the nations of Pruthenia, Lithuania, and the United Baltic Duchy. The Prussiyns later decided to stay with the Catholic church during the Great Schism, and is still today a major source of Catholicism in the region, with the Bishop of Brandenburg having control over most of Scandinavia and Ruthenia.

The black death was less devastating than some regions, like the HRE and even Pest, due to their tolerance of the Jews, but it still killed off 20% of their population, which led to the date of the end of the plague (for the most part) to become their national holiday, Peace Day, to be one of the most celebrated holidays even to this day. They later expanded to include St. Petersburg after the Fall of Poland in the late 1500s. St. Petersburg was started by the king Peter the Great, when he decided that to survive, Pruthenia had to have a major part in trade. It was at first only worked on by Prussiyns until the early 1600s, when the king Peter II invited stateless Polish people to help with the construction, which is why both the town and province has Polish as a secondary language. The town was completed on 1657, and was at first called Poletown, until Henry I decided to name it after his grandfather to honor his name and his expansion of the Pruthenian Economy. They continued to expand the economy and fleet, until the 1800s, when the French Empire invaded them, and they were added to the Wendian March, which lasted until the Russian Liberation in 1830, and they later gained Memelland in the peace deal. They were neutral in the Great War, and St. Petersburg was the largest city remaining in Central Europe for a decade, until Evansburg was unoccupied. To this day, Pruthenia is the strongest holdout against Laborism in Eastern and Central Europe, and was the meeting place for the Harxburg Nuclear and Australis treaties, and was a founding nation of the Community of Nations. Today, St. Petersburg is the Major City in Europe, and is a potential capital for the Accords for Democracy and Peace, which advocates for the unity of all peoples and for greater space exploration.

upload_2019-10-31_20-39-17.png

Map of St. Petersburg and the other major cities of Pruthenia.

9Bpcfwm.jpg

This map shows the Ukraine and its 2 allies (the Don Republic and the Kuban republic) in a world in which the Russian civil war went differently. They are shown after invading the Crimean Tatar republic after long standing tensions boiled over. Ukraine took the lion's share of its small neighbor's land, with Kuban gaining a little bit of land on the eastern side of the Bosporus. Ukraine has yet to consolidate power in Crimea completely, but it is already reaping a lot of reward from the well positioned and developed port of Sevastopol. I was considering making a smaller map on the side or underneath showing the frequency of Tatar rebel terrorist attacks, but decided against it. Overall, a Ukraine wank. Not an insane one, but the Ukraine ITTL is a significant regional player.

I apologize in advance for any typos and bad Ukrainian. My only help was Google translate and knowledge of a South Slavic language (which isn't a huge advantage with the very different East Slavic family).

Also, the things under head of state are titles, in case people can't infer it.

If there are any problems with viewing the image please either PM me, @ me in the MOTF discussion, or tell me in my map thread

Ok, since there was an extra week, I decided to actually finish this map I started for the challenge. I feel like it's missing something, but alas, I hope you like it.

luIsDf8.jpg

The full background is not decided, but the main point would be Swtizerland purchases Monaco, possibly in the aftermath of the succession crisis at the end of Prince Albert's reign, serving as a rather netural party to the territory and thereby acquiring a seaport. As it's clear from the borders that the CP won WWI, perhaps science and engineering have remained more nationally-focused, rather than acquiring the international cooperation bent of postwar, which means no big European projects in Switzerland. I can imagine that, instead, Swiss engineering could have focused on the building of this tunnel linking its sole seaport to the rest of the country. A great feat, I can imagine no better people than the Swiss to seek to accomplish it. The need for it being underground can also have some dark suppositions, such as a less stable European continent, more prone to war.

The map is far from where I wanted to get it, but I think it turned out decently, with the rest of the graphics such as the schedule, the shield, and all else. At least I help it be less boring than what would otherwise almost be a map of 1914 Europe.

Sorry I wasn't able to finish it sooner, this has been a hell of a fortnight.