Rock albums from alternate timelines

POD: Phil Collins doesn't leave Genesis in 1995 to focus on his solo career. However, the band remains on hiatus for some time, until around 1998. From the same universe as this album: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ernate-timelines.369850/page-10#post-18280538

The band (then composed of Collins, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks) had convened in the studio to begin work on their first album since 1992's We Can't Dance. Collins brings in two pieces he wrote for the upcoming Disney Tarzan film (Strangers Like Me and You'll Be In My Heart) while Banks and Rutherford brought in Calling All Stations, Congo, and The Dividing Line (and given the thematic link between Collins' material and Congo, it was decided that Congo would be the working title) It was decided that the remaining material needed to fill out the album would be group compositions (at one point mulling over doing another "Duke Suite", though the band had at that point felt tired of long form compositions). Then halfway through recording, Banks would receive a phone call from an old friend.

"Hi, Tony. It's Pete. Heard you were doing something again and I was wondering if I could drop by."

As it turned out, Peter Gabriel did more than just "stopping by"... and another figure from the past would join them as well.

Now And Forevermore - Genesis

Released November 2, 1999

Tracks 6-12 credited to Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins, and Steve Hackett.

1. Strangers Like Me (Collins)
2. Congo (Banks, Rutherford)
3. Calling All Stations (Banks, Rutherford)
4. The Dividing Line (Banks, Rutherford)
5. You'll Be In My Heart (Collins)
6. The Carpet Crawlers 99
7. No Way Out
8. 7/8
9. Sky Blue
10. One Man's Fool
11. More Than This
12. Firth of Fifth 99

Personnel:

Peter Gabriel - lead vocals on tracks 7-12, co-lead vocal on track 6, flute, percussion
Phil Collins - lead vocals on tracks 1-5, co-lead vocal on track 6, drums, percussion
Tony Banks - keyboards, synthesizers
Mike Rutherford - bass, guitars, bass pedals
Steve Hackett - guitars

The album derived its title from a line in Collins' You'll Be In My Heart, which the band felt suited the material moreso than the working title of Congo, as well as the fact that by mutual agreement of the band that it would be their swan song.

The resulting tour featured the signature quintet lineup of Genesis from 1971-1975, as well as touring musicians Chester Thompson (drums) and Daryl Stuermer (guitar/bass). Gabriel and Collins would perform the lead vocals on their respective material, trading off verses in The Carpet Crawlers 99. Most notably, live performances of Firth of Fifth 99 featured a guitar duet between Hackett and Stuermer, to the chagrin of many a fan. The tour was a roaring success, and though Genesis chose to effectively retire as a unit at the end of it, they did have a one-off reunion at Live 8 in 2005.

POD: Phil Collins doesn't leave Genesis in 1995 to focus on his solo career. However, the band remains on hiatus for some time, until around 1998. From the same universe as this album: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ernate-timelines.369850/page-10#post-18280538

The band (then composed of Collins, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks) had convened in the studio to begin work on their first album since 1992's We Can't Dance. Collins brings in two pieces he wrote for the upcoming Disney Tarzan film (Strangers Like Me and You'll Be In My Heart) while Banks and Rutherford brought in Calling All Stations, Congo, and The Dividing Line (and given the thematic link between Collins' material and Congo, it was decided that Congo would be the working title) It was decided that the remaining material needed to fill out the album would be group compositions (at one point mulling over doing another "Duke Suite", though the band had at that point felt tired of long form compositions). Then halfway through recording, Banks would receive a phone call from an old friend.

"Hi, Tony. It's Pete. Heard you were doing something again and I was wondering if I could drop by."

As it turned out, Peter Gabriel did more than just "stopping by"... and another figure from the past would join them as well.

Now And Forevermore - Genesis

Released November 2, 1999

Tracks 6-12 credited to Peter Gabriel, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford, Phil Collins, and Steve Hackett.

1. Strangers Like Me (Collins)
2. Congo (Banks, Rutherford)
3. Calling All Stations (Banks, Rutherford)
4. The Dividing Line (Banks, Rutherford)
5. You'll Be In My Heart (Collins)
6. The Carpet Crawlers 99
7. No Way Out
8. 7/8
9. Sky Blue
10. One Man's Fool
11. More Than This
12. Firth of Fifth 99

Personnel:

Peter Gabriel - lead vocals on tracks 7-12, co-lead vocal on track 6, flute, percussion
Phil Collins - lead vocals on tracks 1-5, co-lead vocal on track 6, drums, percussion
Tony Banks - keyboards, synthesizers
Mike Rutherford - bass, guitars, bass pedals
Steve Hackett - guitars

The album derived its title from a line in Collins' You'll Be In My Heart, which the band felt suited the material moreso than the working title of Congo, as well as the fact that by mutual agreement of the band that it would be their swan song.

The resulting tour featured the signature quintet lineup of Genesis from 1971-1975, as well as touring musicians Chester Thompson (drums) and Daryl Stuermer (guitar/bass). Gabriel and Collins would perform the lead vocals on their respective material, trading off verses in The Carpet Crawlers 99. Most notably, live performances of Firth of Fifth 99 featured a guitar duet between Hackett and Stuermer, to the chagrin of many a fan. The tour was a roaring success, and though Genesis chose to effectively retire as a unit at the end of it, they did have a one-off reunion at Live 8 in 2005.
This would have been a much more fitting swan-song to an incredible band!

rOFZyBz.png

Help!
(1964)

Side A
1. Help! (Elvis with The Beatles)
2. Once Is Enough (Elvis)
3. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (Lennon)
4. I Need You (Harrison)
5. Another Girl (Elvis and McCartney)
6. You're Gonna Lose That Girl (Elvis and Lennon)

Side B
1. It's Only Love (Elvis)
2. Witchcraft (Elvis with The Beatles)
3. You Like Me Too Much (Harrison)
4. Tell Me What You See (Elvis and McCartney)
5. I've Just Seen A Face (Elvis)
6. Yesterday (McCartney)

The Beatles' second film with Elvis would go on to be a big success. Elvis would go on to film Kissing Cousins before he would do the unthinkable...Tour Europe!

On the Beach Bums, I think "She's a Friend of Dorothy" would be a completed song for the band. Lennon's High Hat White Soul 70s sound (the damn trumpets), Harry Nilssons similar sound with a bit of a more rough bite, and Randy Newman's neo Dixieland piano rock style. I mean, merge these two:

Also, I can't resist the comparison between Nilsson's "Many Rivers to Cross" (with the orchestra arranged by Lennon) and Lennon's own Number 9 Dream. Squint and have these as just 1 song duet in a parallel universe.

Last edited:
B91C5D52-612F-4B96-BD39-329B55CBE767.jpeg

The Beach Boys 76’- The Beach Boys
(1976)

Side 1

1. Good Timin’- (B. Wilson - C. Wilson)​
2. Had to Phone Ya- (B. Wilson - Rovell - Love)
3. That Same Song- (B. Wilson - Love)
4. Everyone’s In Love With You- (Love)
5. TM Song- (B. Wilson)
6. Back Home- (B. Wilson - Norman)​

Side 2
1. It’s O. K.- (B. Wilson - Love)
2. Susie Cincinnati- (Jardine)
3. Pacific Ocean Blues- (D. Wilson - Love)
4. San Miguel- (D. Wilson - Jakobson)
5. She’s Got Rhythm- (B. Wilson - Love - Kalinich)
6. Rock And Roll Music- (Berry)​

I wish DEVO's Total DEVO album and the Hollies' comeback album What Goes Around... would have been more successful and well recieved. They are both amazing.
Yeah, I can imagine. However, both bands are fairly experimental and for the most part of their careers, not terribly mainstream enough to get big.

I don't know if it came up yet, but the Yes album "90125" was not originally a Yes album. The band had broken up, and became a band named Cinema, brought on Trevor Horn of the Buggles for their new band and recorded a new album. They then ended up brining former Yes lead singer Jon Anderson back to record vocals, and that album became a new Yes album and almost by happenstance, Yes reformed and album became another Yes album. So for want of a nail, that album is not a Yes album. Bet you wish the Beatles had the same thing happen. "Oh, Ringo is doing a new album and Paul's in town. Ok, we'll all pop in for a song. Oh hell, we just reformed the Beatles, didn't we?"

I don't know if it came up yet, but the Yes album "90125" was not originally a Yes album. The band had broken up, and became a band named Cinema, brought on Trevor Horn of the Buggles for their new band and recorded a new album. They then ended up brining former Yes lead singer Jon Anderson back to record vocals, and that album became a new Yes album and almost by happenstance, Yes reformed and album became another Yes album. So for want of a nail, that album is not a Yes album. Bet you wish the Beatles had the same thing happen.

Honestly, I'd just want the Buggles to actually be like the Beatles of the 80s

I don't know if it came up yet, but the Yes album "90125" was not originally a Yes album. The band had broken up, and became a band named Cinema, brought on Trevor Horn of the Buggles for their new band and recorded a new album. They then ended up brining former Yes lead singer Jon Anderson back to record vocals, and that album became a new Yes album and almost by happenstance, Yes reformed and album became another Yes album. So for want of a nail, that album is not a Yes album. Bet you wish the Beatles had the same thing happen. "Oh, Ringo is doing a new album and Paul's in town. Ok, we'll all pop in for a song. Oh hell, we just reformed the Beatles, didn't we?"

Doesn't Ringo's self-titled album from 1973 feature all four Beatles (though on different tracks)?

Let's say, maybe around the late 70s, when John/Paul/George have cooled their heads, this could probably happen (with Ringo as glue guy again).