The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

No, he likely won't, but I shall be focusing on England, rather than Europe after the next couple of chapters. I can't write a TL that spans Europe the way some of you can. If anyone would like to imagine what Charles must be doing at this point (panicking, I shouldn't wonder) and send it to me, I am more than happy to consider it canon and threadmark it here, but I won't be writing it.

A point was France and England bleeding each other. Another would be a new English-French union. But I know this is not the main focus of the TL. So is all right!

Nice chapter there!

Great to see King Henry doing so well against King Francis. I've been to Rouen, it would look lovely with a English Flag over it.

The English need to be careful with the 'slash and burn' though, its a good way to turn folk against you.

Nice chapter there!

Great to see King Henry doing so well against King Francis. I've been to Rouen, it would look lovely with a English Flag over it.

The English need to be careful with the 'slash and burn' though, its a good way to turn folk against you.

Oh, Henry VIII knows that. Thanks for the reminder. I shall put in a mention of how he tries to endear himself in a later chapter....

I'm just catching up on this story, definitely enjoying it. Great update, I did not see Henry's victories coming. Or at least not to this extent, but it's believable. Tbh I don't feel sorry for Francis at all. France is going to be a mess, sounds fun. On the other hand, Henry gains power on the continent and much prestige by this win, I wonder how that will affect events going forward. I'm looking to seeing domestic impacts as well. Thanks for writing and sharing!

I'm just catching up on this story, definitely enjoying it. Great update, I did not see Henry's victories coming. Or at least not to this extent, but it's believable. Tbh I don't feel sorry for Francis at all. France is going to be a mess, sounds fun. On the other hand, Henry gains power on the continent and much prestige by this win, I wonder how that will affect events going forward. I'm looking to seeing domestic impacts as well. Thanks for writing and sharing!

Well, you'll get far more of the domestic than anything else, but I am glad you're enjoying this. It's always fun to have people along for the ride.

Quick question for you all: Who do you think Henry might name Governor of Normandy ITTL? He's not going to want to leave the post open for long but I can't decide who to name to the post. Brandon is out because I need him in England, as is Papa Boleyn because I am sending him to Ireland. George Boleyn is a possibility, but he's still very young. Suggestions welcome!

Quick question for you all: Who do you think Henry might name Governor of Normandy ITTL? He's not going to want to leave the post open for long but I can't decide who to name to the post. Brandon is out because I need him in England, as is Papa Boleyn because I am sending him to Ireland. George Boleyn is a possibility, but he's still very young. Suggestions welcome!
Some names come to mind...
Audley... Wriothesly... Riche...Possibly even the Duke of Norfolk?

What about one of Norfolk's sons? Not sure of their age at this point, though.

What about one of Norfolk's sons? Not sure of their age at this point, though.

Thomas Howard, Anne and Marie's Uncle, didn't become Duke until 1524, IIRC, so he's a possibility, but his sons are too young. Ok am also trying to avoid making too many of Marie's family too powerful. I don't want another Woodville clan on my hands. Another reason I don't want George...

Thomas Howard, Anne and Marie's Uncle, didn't become Duke until 1524, IIRC, so he's a possibility, but his sons are too young. Ok am also trying to avoid making too many of Marie's family too powerful. I don't want another Woodville clan on my hands. Another reason I don't want George...
The Woodville in OTL were not really so powerful. Sure some of Elizabeth’s siblings had made very good weddings but that was a quite logical consequence of Elizabeth’s elevation. Warwick hated Elizabeth and her family because she was not the foreign princess he wanted as Queen and because her family was an obstacle in his tentative to get almost full power for himself (as he wanted marry his daughters to Edward’s brothers and Edward to a foreign).
Edward’s biggest and most discutibile acts and ruling were all in favor of his siblings George, Richard and Anne of York and not to the benefit of his in-laws

At least, I think. The next time we see him, Marguerite is tearing into him for throwing away all her late husband's hard work in Normandy...

I would assume that governor of Normandy would need to go to an established noble family, though I don't know which families are valid at the immediate period.

Section XLIX - November 1520
"When the King gets back, you must press him to allow the marriage between George and Lady Margaret,” Thomas reached out and grabbed his daughter’s chin, forcing her head up so she had to look him in the eye, “It’s your duty to this family!”

Marie winced at the strength of his grip, though she knew he would be careful not to leave bruises. Not on her skin; not where anyone could see.

Inwardly she was shaking, but then she remembered Henry’s words on the day he had left for France, “You’re still his Queen. He still has to answer to you. Make sure he remembers that.”

They gave her courage; courage to meet her father’s eye and say calmly, “Oh really, Papa? I was not aware that my duty lay with the Boleyns anymore, or even with the Howards. I thought it was to England and the King. Forgive me if I was mistaken.”

Thomas Boleyn gaped. Marie had never spoken to him in such a manner. She had always been the most obliging of all his children. Yet now it seemed that the chit had let her newfound power go to her head. He released her as though he’d been stung, though he compensated by making his voice even harder as he hissed at her, “You fool! What use do you think your new title will be if you don’t have the powerful friends to back it up? Do you forget that you have replaced a Princess of Spain on the throne?”

“No, Papa. I know how important family is. You have my word that I will speak for the match if I think it appropriate. You’ve had that for weeks. But I intend to watch the two interact before I make a decision. That’s my final word on the subject.”

“Marie, for pity’s sake!”

Marie cut her father off, adopting an authority she did not yet feel entirely comfortable using, “I think you’ll find, Lord Ormonde, that the correct way to address a Queen is ‘Your Majesty’. If you cannot even remember that, then leave me.”

“Your Majesty..”

“Leave, please.”

Faced with a direct royal command, Thomas Boleyn had no choice but to obey. If he wanted his daughter to ever be respected in her new role, than he had to set at least a semblance of an example. Grumbling under his breath, he sketched a sort of half-bow and backed out of the room.

Marie watched him go, trembling. She’d never defied her father before, not this openly.

Anne noted it immediately, coming up behind her, “So? Royal power made you grow a backbone at last, did it?”

“Annie! I could have you arrested for speaking to me like that!” Marie retorted, but her blue eyes were laughing as she turned to face her little sister. The whole room of ladies, who had been unsure what to do when the Queen’s own father started manhandling her, breathed a collective sigh of relief.

Not one of them missed their mistress glancing back at the door her father had just come through and muttering, “That’s the last time he treats any of us like that. We’re not pawns to be sacrificed for the sake of his ambition. Not anymore.”

The determination in her graceful body was too clear for that.

Many thanks for the suggestions as to who should become Governor of Normandy. I think I have reached a decision, and you'll all find out once Henry gets back from France.

Speaking of France, we shall be hopping back and forth across the channel for the next few chapters - I need to give Marie some space to rewrite her family relationships now that she's Queen, and having Henry out of the way on a matter of conquest seems a good time to do that!

And before anyone says anything - yes, I know the historical record says Papa Boleyn was never this cold, but it's the way he's portrayed in many a media and I'm guilty of using it myself because it just gives me more scope to play with...

Oh well played Marie, well played indeed.

She's not dim. She's not as bright as her younger sister, maybe, nor as keen on playing the game, but in many ways, I've always seen Marie as the Boleyn sister who could read people better, she just didn't have the same drive to use it as Anne (and to an extent, George). I hope that's the kind of character that's coming across here...