The Queen is Dead!: Katherine of Aragon dies in 1518

It's good Mary was wise enough not to promise a son, and having a child so soon would do a lot to increase court confidence in her influence, fertility, and staying power with Henry regardless. That presumes the pregnancy and birth is successful, of course, and that's far from certain.

Still, there's a golden path here for Henry if he's lucky: Inflict a severe defeat on France, gaining a big indemnity from Francis and maybe an enlargement of the Pale of Calais. (Grabbing Normandy seems unlikely and very troublesome). Return to England in triumph, and announce the upcoming birth--which goes off without a hitch, giving Henry a healthy male heir who survives infancy. The Tudor line gets secured, the Crown is flush with cash, and is able to play off Hapsburg ambitions without the commitment of a marriage for further advantages.

None of that is unrealistic or even terribly unlikely. Certainly, such a favorable outcome requires some luck, but more along the lines of an absence of bad luck than the need for good luck.

It's good Mary was wise enough not to promise a son, and having a child so soon would do a lot to increase court confidence in her influence, fertility, and staying power with Henry regardless. That presumes the pregnancy and birth is successful, of course, and that's far from certain.

Still, there's a golden path here for Henry if he's lucky: Inflict a severe defeat on France, gaining a big indemnity from Francis and maybe an enlargement of the Pale of Calais. (Grabbing Normandy seems unlikely and very troublesome). Return to England in triumph, and announce the upcoming birth--which goes off without a hitch, giving Henry a healthy male heir who survives infancy. The Tudor line gets secured, the Crown is flush with cash, and is able to play off Hapsburg ambitions without the commitment of a marriage for further advantages.

None of that is unrealistic or even terribly unlikely. Certainly, such a favorable outcome requires some luck, but more along the lines of an absence of bad luck than the need for good luck.

Well, I always thought Anne was stupid promising Henry a son OTL, when she had no control over the baby's gender.. Mary is not doing that TTL. And given Henry is five years younger here than he was when he got involved with Anne OTL, he's not pushing her to, either.

Now, I am not very good at writing war, so I was planning on skimming over it. If anyone would like it in detail, get in touch and you can help me write it.:)

Well, I always thought Anne was stupid promising Henry a son OTL, when she had no control over the baby's gender.. Mary is not doing that TTL. And given Henry is five years younger here than he was when he got involved with Anne OTL, he's not pushing her to, either.

Now, I am not very good at writing war, so I was planning on skimming over it. If anyone would like it in detail, get in touch and you can help me write it.:)

I don't know much about this period in terms of Warfare, but I figure that the invasion via Rouen has a good chance of coming off, as the French will be expecting Henry to defend and try and expand from Calais. I think it would be interesting to see Henry take Normandy, if nothing else just to read Francis's reaction...

Yes. In many ways, especially in the area of reproduction, Henry's luck was incredibly bad. I know Henry's someone we all love to hate, and sometimes with good reason. But let's give the guy a break this time...

Please?

Yes. In many ways, especially in the area of reproduction, Henry's luck was incredibly bad. I know Henry's someone we all love to hate, and sometimes with good reason. But let's give the guy a break this time...

Please?

Well, if you want things to go well for him, I can certainly see what I can do... *shrug*

If would be a boy, if will of course be healthy, and above all survive, England Tudor may live for a very long time. And the Boleyns will be accommodated in perpetuity. I know I am saying the obvious, but if this war will go bad for Henry... Naturally, thinking to become King of France is definitely in his character. Becoming it... Well. I do not think the French would approve... Probably not only them.

If would be a boy, if will of course be healthy, and above all survive, England Tudor may live for a very long time. And the Boleyns will be accommodated in perpetuity. I know I am saying the obvious, but if this war will go bad for Henry... Naturally, thinking to become King of France is definitely in his character. Becoming it... Well. I do not think the French would approve... Probably not only them.

Oh yeah, that's aiming high, even for Henry...

Section XLVIII - September-November 1520
A massive thank you goes to @Tudorfan who very helpfully wrote the majority of this section for me. Thank you for rescuing me from being unable to write war!

Brandon had never liked war. He had lost his own father when he was little more than a babe suckling on his mother's breasts to a war that had created barely sustainable peace and then, ultimately, even more bloodshed before the Kingdom had finally been united. That did not, however, mean that he would not fight when his King commanded it. His wife might shout herself hoarse at the thought of him endangering himself in battle and he might be barred from her bed for a month on his return, but she was not the King, not the master of his fortunes.

At the King's command he had sailed to Calais with a thousand men and half as many archers to relieve it from the French - much to his surprise, this had been surprisingly easy. King Francis had been stunned to hear of Henry’s surge out of Cherbourg and had dropped the siege of the city in favour of marching to Normandy’s aid almost before Charles had had a chance to disembark his forces. The people of Calais had had been delighted to see their rescuers, showering Charles and his men in garlands of autumn blooms as they rode through the town.

And now, they were all reuniting, preparing for one last push before the winter truly set in. Having sailed from Hull, Henry had taken Cherbourg by force, burning and pillaging their food stocks, forcing the people to their knees in servitude to him. As he’d said he would, he’d taken a leaf out of his ancestor Edward III’s book in terms of tactics - if it was not vital for his forces and he did not need it, then it would be burned. Using the English familiarity with the autumn damp to his advantage, the King drove his force hard. They moved quickly, strategically - for his advanced age, Norfolk really was an excellent general - and they had managed to stay ahead of King Francis’s pursuit. Moreover, they’d taken town after town, as they advanced towards Rouen - every major town, city or even village they came across, from Bayeux, Longueville to Caen, from Lisieux to Brionne, and, finally, Rouen itself. No matter where they went, people valued their lives more than anything and surrendered to the King, or else paid him off with food and money, leaving the majority of his forces unharmed and prepared to fight in Rouen as they needed to.

Charles had come from Calais himself, and he hadn’t come alone – though he’d left half the soldiers behind to refresh the garrison at Calais, the other 500 and the archers had travelled with him to support their King.

As they rode up to Rouen, it became clearer by the day that the French King had underestimated the English King. He’d failed to consider that Henry might be willing to risk Calais in the hope of larger gains. In doing so, Francois had been caught unawares, and while on the defensive, lost a large measure of the trust his Norman subjects, always a fickle lot, had had for him. Henry, however, was more firmly ensconced in his soldiers’ hearts than ever. He’d thrown himself into the fight, never asking more of his men than he gave himself. Indeed, he’d been the first over the walls at Caen, and had a nasty slash across the top of his left arm to show for it. When the two armies finally clashed, on the fields within sight of Rouen, it wasn’t the difference in skill that mattered. It was the difference in loyalty. Riding high on their own confidence and trusting their King to guide them to victory, the English fought like lions, battling out of their skins to win him the city that had once been the ducal capital of his ancestors.

Stunned by the onslaught, the French lines wavered, then shattered, despite the presence of King Francis, who rode the whole length of the battlefield countless times, screaming himself hoarse as he implored his troops to hold their position.

In vain. Before the next day dawned, the Duke of Longueville found himself a prisoner of the English, Anne de Montmorency was wounded and King Francis was gravely injured by a misfired canon ball and something which the English would later term as 'a billhook that mysteriously came out of nowhere.'

Knowing when he was in desperate need of a regrouping, King Francis retreated behind the walls of Rouen, but it was only a matter of time before the town, too, yielded. After a week of constant fighting, the walls of Rouen fell.

They crashed to the ground in a cacaphony of dust and noise just as it was getting too dark to see.

Henry gave a jubilant shout.

“That’s it! England and St George!”

He spurred his horse forward and the men followed, exhaustion and the dim light forgotten in their surge of triumph.

The night was one of those that seemed to pass in both the blink of an eye yet drag on forever, as the French battled them for every inch of ground within the streets.

Yet when the morning came, as they marched into the central square, the situation proved to be very different.

Charles, Duke of Bourbon stood on the Cathedral steps, filthy and haggard with exhaustion. For all that, he was a most welcome sight for many of the Englishmen. Indeed, he sent a wave of relief and exhilaration crashing through the English ranks, for he was waving a strip of white linen above his head.

Oh my. Henry has really France on his feet now. Sometimes we tend to forget certain characters can turn the winds of history on their whims... I totally got surprised by this turn of events.

Cracking - all he needs now is son to be born as he arrives home ;)

If it is a boy, I know he wants it to be named after himself but for his victories and his bellowing "England and St. George" all the time, could George be a possible name?

I couldn't resist making Henry do well against the French for a change!

This is more than a simple charge, is becoming a new Agincourt and Pavia mixed together for the French... If Henry will capture an ailing Francis and the city of Rouen, Normandy will likely be painted in red again on European maps soon... Unless in Paris someone will gather the rest of the French forces and fight for their freedom.

Also, Charles won't likely stay idle at this point.

Cracking - all he needs now is son to be born as he arrives home ;)

If it is a boy, I know he wants it to be named after himself but for his victories and his bellowing "England and St. George" all the time, could George be a possible name?

Well, all I'll say to that is that I apparently never name a living (legitimate) son of Henry's after him. I didn't realise this was a thing, but @HRH Cecily pointed it out and when I thought about it, I realised they were right. So if I ever name a Prince Henry, that's when you start to worry!

This is more than a simple charge, is becoming a new Agincourt and Pavia mixed together for the French... If Henry will capture an ailing Francis and the city of Rouen, Normandy will likely be painted in red again on European maps soon... Unless in Paris someone will gather the rest of the French forces and fight for their freedom.

Also, Charles won't likely stay idle at this point.

No, he likely won't, but I shall be focusing on England, rather than Europe after the next couple of chapters. I can't write a TL that spans Europe the way some of you can. If anyone would like to imagine what Charles must be doing at this point (panicking, I shouldn't wonder) and send it to me, I am more than happy to consider it canon and threadmark it here, but I won't be writing it.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Brilliant update. This is going to cause Francis a whole world of pain. But then, one must wonder, might there be a plan a foot in Paris?