One of the Beautiful People

According to Factrepublic.com, Steve McQueen's infidelity saved his life. He was supposed to attend the dinner party where the Manson family murdered Sharon Tate and others, but skipped it after he "ran into a chickie".
-https://factrepublic.com/25-random-facts-list-3/

Interesting. Well, in this case he just wasn't invited since it was a party for Rich and he wasn't in that circle. Maybe he was busy driving through empty streets in a hot mustang in San Francisco instead?

Interesting. Well, in this case he just wasn't invited since it was a party for Rich and he wasn't in that circle. Maybe he was busy driving through empty streets in a hot mustang in San Francisco instead?
Sounds good.
I'm sure Ringo would've liked to have met McQueen but I don't think the feeling would've been mutual.

Only You Know And I Know
Only You Know And I Know
tumblr_pn8h76o4WJ1wsin1no1_r1_250.jpg

Dave Mason was one of the 'friends' of Delaney & Bonnie and when he wrote the song "Only You Know And I Know" in the summer of 1969 they added it to their set. The following year he'd record it and they'd finally record it two years later. But while they toured North America that summer there was George Harrison in his long hair, beard, sunglasses, and floppy hat at the back of the stage playing the song away with fervor. It was as if the song was about the secret that Dutch Egmond was really one of the Beatles, George Harrison, and as Delaney sang to Bonnie, it was as if he also was saying "Only you, George, know that's you and I know it too."

But the kicker was the later phrase sung by both Delaney and Bonnie, "You know you can't go on gettin' your own way 'cuz if you do it's gonna get you someday." George's way that he wanted was to play rock and roll music and not be the star, be the famous Beatle with all the wah-wah and screaming and nonsense that went with it. But sooner or later if he kept this up he'd be found out and it would get him someday soon.

When Bonnie sang back to Delaney, "Now if I seem to mislead you, it's just my craziness comin' through, but when it comes down to just two, I ain't no crazier than you," it was as if George was saying back that they all were crazy.

Then both Delaney and Bonnie sang, "I appear to be pleasin', Oh no no no not deceivin', but it's hard to believe in when you've been so mistreated," it was as if Dave Mason had written what was going on with George that he wanted to do this. Yes, he'd reconciled with John and since the Beatles ceased being the Beatles, Paul had been respectful and treated him like an equal. But still, he needed to be out here, trying to please the gods of Rock and the audience, not deceive them, but get out of being mistreated as the junior member of the band.

But there was a problem and it was becoming more and more apparent with each gig. What had made George feel like the junior member of the band was that he was regulated to back up vocals and playing guitar for others' music. The irony was that his playing as one of the Grease Band for Joe Cocker and now as one of the Friends for Delaney & Bonnie was doing exactly that, except without the back up vocals. And here with Delaney & Bonnie, he wasn't doing it for the two biggest stars in the Rock world, like he'd done with John Lennon and Paul McCartney, he was doing it with two lesser known figures not even known by everyone who listened to rock music, much less the entire world. (From rock and roll wannabee teens jumping on stages to holy monks hidden from the world to crazy murdering reverse Hippies living in the desert.)

George was a song writer. He was still writing. He couldn't help it. But the moment he'd step into the spotlight and up to the mic and front one of his own songs, the whole gig would be up. It wasn't like Delaney & Bonnie didn't want him to do that. Of course they did. Not only would it be a wonderful musical moment, but it would surely add to their own fortunes. But they deserved more than to be George's back up band and he wasn't going to do that to them. Maybe with the Grease Band, they could go from being Joe Cocker's band to being George's, they'd done that already in the studio. Rumors were swirling that Joe was already thinking beyond the Grease Band to a new group, snatching Leon Russell to head it right out of Delaney & Bonnie's Friends. That would free them up to be George's band.

He was conflicted. He was still enjoying being out of the spotlight, being adored by the musicians on stage with him, and none of the 'wah-wah' craziness that had gone with the Beatles. But a growing part of him wanted to be back in the front doing his own songs. Not when he was on stage. Not in Tucson on Saturday, July 12, when John and Yoko returned to London. Not in Kansas City on Friday, August 8 when Paul and the Anfield Band sent Believe Me to be pressed on vinyl. Not in Buffalo on Tuesday, August 12 when Rich did his last voice over for They Shoot Horses Don't They.

But on Sunday, August 17, he was ready. The gig in Buffalo was his last gig with Delaney & Bonnie. Joe Cocker had called four weeks before on Sunday, July 20, when Delaney & Bonnie and he were in Houston. For one last time he and the Grease Band would perform, on the 17th and he wanted Dutch and maybe let Dutch step out and take off the hat and the sunglasses if he wanted. It wasn't like the Grease Band didn't know his songs. When Joe asked him to be on stage he said yes. When Joe asked if he wanted to step out front, he said he'd think about it.

He'd been thinking about it more and more. Pattie was all for it. He called Rich, he was all for it and after the attack at Sharon's he and Maureen made plans to join George and Pattie to be there. George and Pattie had gone to Poughkeepsie after Buffalo and that's where Rich and Maureen met them. They had a few days to practice with Joe and the Grease Band. They ran through George's set too. Rich would replace Bruce Rowland for George's set, being Ringo once more.

George had called Paul and John. Both were thrilled he was stepping back into the spotlight. "We're going to be over there starting on the 16th," Paul said, "Maybe we'll run into each other."

"I wish you all the luck you deserve, little brother. I have a surprise for you, I'll tell you later," was what John said.

OOC: In OTL I have no idea when Dave Mason wrote "Only You Know And I Know" and when Delaney & Bonnie began performing it. In TTL it's as I wrote above. Mason and D&B recorded it the same time in TTL as in OTL. /OOC

Last edited:
That's two updates with others' music, yes, others who were connected to our former Beatles, but still. But it's appropriate since Rich was not doing music but film and George was not doing his own music but others. Still, it was strange...

But also I just really like those songs (and the other non-Beatle songs we've had [even though two were written by a Beatle])

That Would Be Something
That Would Be Something
Sunapee Paul.jpg

(OOC: This OTL tune is similar to TTL's "Meet Ya On A Sunny Day, Mama" /OOC)​

The audience for the Saturday, August 16th midnight showing of Anfield at the old theater in Sunapee, New Hampshire were expecting musical equipment of who ever had signed up to be the play along band to be on stage off to the side of the big screen as usual. (Most of them still thought of it as Friday, the 15th.) The first midnight showing to have local musicians to play on stage had started to require them to sign up. This was because when they at first just let whoever do it, there might end up five acts set up and no room for audience members to come up and just sing and dance along. So they started requiring only one a show and a sign up in advance. It also made it easier to schedule the set up. The schedule was posted in the lobby and everyone knew who'd signed up that night and so the place was crowded beyond normal- people sitting in the aisles in fact. The band that had signed up was the Jam Band, the local band that had started the whole thing off.

By now Steven Tyler had joined the band and they'd added a second guitarist, Ray Tabano, and a drummer, Joey Kramer. The Jam Band was very popular in the region due to their stunt. But audience members could see the local stars sitting there in the front row. So why wasn't their equipment set up? One girl went up to Steven and asked him if they were playing or not. He smiled strangely and winked, "Wait and see."

The film started and then after the credits and opening music it panned over the crowd waiting for the concert last January. Then came the close up of Tanya and the audience joined in on her line, "IT WAS A DREAM, A DREAM. A DREAM. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT."

The next scene was a view of the stage that Paul and the Anfield Band had played on, but empty. Then the members of the band would walk out and get ready, until finally Paul joined them. In the film the crowd would go crazy clapping, whooping, and screaming. In the theater that was the standard ritual too. But this time the film just stopped right before Paul was to walk out. A slide showed up on the screen instead. Two cartoon T-Rexs were biting each other, it wasn't clear if they were biting each other to fight or during sex. Around the figures were the world, "Sorry. Please Be Patient. We Are Having Technical Difficulties."

Suddenly the five kids in the Jam Band jumped out of their seats and ran up the side stairs of the stage and then off stage behind the curtain. A moment later the first song of the concert, "Get Back" started playing. But the film still wasn't there. Many in the audience thought it must be the Jam Band playing behind the screen, it sure didn't sound the same as the version in the film or released on vinyl. But it sound good.

Then the stage lights went on, the slide went away, and the screen began to lift.

Like many old theaters, this one had started as a vaudeville palace. A movie screen had been added later, which still could be raised for live shows.

The audience did see a band set up and playing. But it wasn't the Jam Band.

It was the Anfield Band.

Then Paul McCartney walked out with his bass to a microphone and began singing the words of "Get Back."

It was pandemonium in the Sunapee theater. But the sound system was better than the crowd's noise. After the song Paul asked them, "How are you doing?"

"WE'RE HAVING FUN!" They yelled in unison.

"Good! Our first scheduled show in our North American tour is tonight, or tomorrow night depending on how you look at it, in Manchester." Manchester, New Hampshire was the bigger city in central southern New Hampshire. "But we wanted to do this surprise, secret first performance here, where you guys made our film what it's become. Thank you."

Later after another song, Paul said, "You know it was a big deal scheduling this and keeping it secret. We want to thank the owner, management, and staff of the theater and the band that was scheduled to play. I'll tell you another secret. You may have noticed they'd signed up way in advance with lots of empty shows. You know why?

"Because they were in on it!

"We've been real glad to have them as our back stage guests tonight, but right now we want to give them the stage."

Out walked the members of the Jam Band. Paul stayed but roadies had unplugged his bass from the amp and plugged Tom's in. The other members of the Anfield Band had left. Paul turned to Steven and said, "What are you going to play, Steven? I hear you like to cover my friend John's song "'Get Together Right Now.'"

"No." Steven smiled out at the audience. "We've got one of our own."

"You've written your own song! What's it called?"

"I was inspired by what we all say from Tanya."

The audience yelled, "IT WAS A DREAM, A DREAM. A DREAM. I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT."

Steven said, "It's called 'Dream On.'"

Paul clapped him on the back and walked off stage. Then Steven sat at the keyboard and the Jam Band played their new song for the first time. By the time they got a recording contract and did a studio recording of it, two years would pass. It would be a hit. By then they'd changed their name to Aerosmith and Tabano had been replaced by Brad Whitford. This not only was a top ten hit, but it became their signature song.*

Afterwards as the audience was applauding, Paul walked back out. "You guys are great. I say we give you another song and I'd like to hear your version of John's song. What do you say?" He asked the audience.

"WE'RE HAVING FUN!"

"Then go for it!"

By then Steven was out in front just to sing.

(OOC: Well, I can't post TTL's version, right? So here's OTL's version by Aerosmith. Different lyrics. /OOC)
After the two song set, the Anfield Band joined Paul and they finished off their abridged concert, only an hour and a half like the film, instead of the normal two and a half hours. At the end he said "I just want everyone to know. This is the only one of these we're doing... this tour."

That night they were in Manchester. His show had a lot of material from his solo recordings and one new song that hadn't yet been released, a song describing his love of Maggie, "Meet Ya On A Sunny Day, Mama."

Maggie and baby Jackie were with Paul. Jackie was just a month old little guy. He usually was in a baby pack on Maggie, but sometimes, when he wasn't on stage, it was on Paul. They had a big bus they were going to use to travel from city to city for the shows. Paul had a concert scheduled in Albany, New York for Sunday, the 17th. But he made arrangements a few weeks before to change it from Sunday night to Monday night. It meant it cost him, as he had to put a second deposit down. But he was okay with that and the fans with tickets didn't mind that it was Monday night instead of Sunday night.

Paul had other things he wanted to do that Sunday.

After the Manchester show the band and support staff went to Albany. Paul, Maggie, and Jackie flew on a small chartered plane to Poughkeepsie. They arrived there in the early hours of the morning and checked into the same hotel that George, Pattie, Rich, and Maureen were all staying. They had a wonderful visit the next morning at breakfast. "I told you we might run into each other." He told George. "How could I miss your first solo show? I couldn't."

*In OTL Steven did first meet Joe and Tom in Sunapee in 1969 and he did write "Dream On" before he joined the band. So in TTL we just have the band perform it earlier and record it earlier than in OTL

Last edited:
...can't wait until tomorrow...

...working on next update right now....

anyone want to try and be astute on this one? ;)

Because
Because
Beautiful John and Yoko.jpg

(OOC: The first video is pretty accurate for TTL except it's all US not Canada
TTL's song is called "It Turns Me On" /OOC)
On Friday the 18th of July, John's album with the Dirty Truth, You Know It Ain't Easy, was released. By Monday, the 21st, the whirlwind of publicity over it had gone crazy and Billy Graham's invitation had been made. Peter Brown had to respond. He called John and suggested a performance on Sunday, August 17th, but that it would be best to not let anyone know he was doing it, but announce there would be a John Lennon and Dirty Truth performance at an unannounced location and date. Peter explained to John what the gig would be.

"It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, John. I think it's something you can't pass up."

John liked it and agreed.

That quieted the press. But now the rumor mills were rampant and many were guessing correctly where and when Dirty Truth were going to perform.

What John and Peter didn't know was that Joe Cocker had called George the day before. By Saturday, August 2, George had thought enough to start calling his friends and inquire. He and John had exchanged letters but not talked, even on the phone, to each other since India. But then John got the call. George said what he was thinking, that he'd take off the sunglasses and hat and step out at the front at Joe Cocker's performance on the 17th. John felt his heart race and his mouth go dry. A year earlier he would have probably said something about he was doing a gig then and it was like George was stepping on his toes again. Instead he swallowed and said, "I wish you all the luck you deserve, little brother. I have a surprise for you, I'll tell you later."

Then they chatted a bit about other things. After the phone call, John immediately called Peter. "Cancel my gig. No one knows anyway."

"John, this is something that will never come again."

John explained why he wanted to cancel it. "I will not step on the toes of my little brother. The 17th is his big day. I'm not going to compete."

"We've already made arrangements for you to fly to New York for the bed-in for peace you wanted to do before it. We've set it up to film it. We made arrangements with the customs to cooperate."

"That's okay. We'll still go and do the bed-in."

"But no show with Dirty Truth?"

"No. Just Yoko and me and Kyoko will go." Julian would stay home with Cynthia. "I have another song and I don't want to do it with Dirty Truth. It feels more like a thing to do with Paul and George and Rich when we can. George Martin producing. Can you talk to him about it?"

Peter said he would. John had plans to discuss things himself with the others. He spoke to Paul that week when he visited him recording in the studio. Paul was thrilled.

John planned on speaking with George and Rich when he next saw them. The following Saturday, the same day that Rich was explaining that Lord must be in Hollywood, the family flew to New York. From Sunday, the 9th, through Sunday, the 17th, just as planned, John and Yoko stayed in bed for a week speaking about peace to whoever would listen. Kyoko was in the same suite, being watched by a hired nanny for the week. This was just as planned. But instead of getting up that day and going to meet his band to perform, he instead went to listen to George.

Paul and Maggie knew all this when they joined George, Pattie, Rich, and Maureen for breakfast. Paul had pulled Rich aside and told him. "John, Yoko, and Kyoko will be joining us to support George. Don't tell him. John wants to surprise him at the gig, give him a hug and a blessing before the show and then join us," Paul meant himself, Maggie, and Jackie, "in the audience."

During the bed-in, John and Yoko did a live performance of "All We Are Saying" that was filmed. This film version of the acoustic performance is the one most people think of when they think of the song. Early Sunday morning they ended their bed-in and rode in a limousine north up the Hudson.

"I feel like I'm moving into something new that is like a better version of something old," he said to Yoko as they pulled out of the city and rode along the Hudson river.

"It's because you sacrificed from love."

John smiled. "Because."

Kyoko laughed, "That's your new song, Daddy." She'd been calling him that for a while now.

"Yes, baby." John said, "My song "It Turns Me On."

She began singing it.

Last edited:
Bang Bang
Bang Bang!
e17.jpg

George wasn't schedule to perform with the Grease Band and Joe Cocker until 2 pm. The actual gig wasn't in Poughkeepsie, but out in the countryside about an hour and a half away. To give themselves all plenty of time, they left for it at 11 am.

That gave them a little free time after breakfast. Paul took Rich and everyone over to a piano that was in the hotel lobby and said, "I wrote another silly little song and I wonder if you want it?"

He began to play "Bang Bang!" and Rich listened and then started laughing when it turned out to be about a serial killer. "That's crazy, especially after what I just went through. I can't do that."

Paul looked at him and frowned. "You are right. I wrote it before all that." They hadn't heard about the murders that had been done that morning, they hadn't even been discovered yet.

George said, "Why don't we write some other lyrics, maybe make it about kids playing games or something?"

So they did. By the time they were ready to leave "Bang Bang!" had new lyrics and Rich felt it was okay to do it.

"When we all get back to London," Paul said, "We can all record it. You got anything for a B-side?" He was looking at Ringo.

"I haven't been writing music too much. Had some time to work with Harry. But that was about it."

Paul looked at George, "You got a song he could use?" George didn't. "All I've got is not really 'Ringo' material, I'm afraid."

Rich nodded. That made sense. His vocal range was limited and when he wrote he natural put it in his range. But his friends had to intentionally make it that way.

"Well," Paul went on, "John demoed a new one for me that he was thinking might work for you. I think I can play it for you. I won't remember all the lyrics though, a lot of Italian or Spanish or maybe nonsense." Paul did a good job of getting the music down on the piano, even though the demo he'd heard was John on an acoustic guitar. But the only words he could remember correctly were the main part, "Here come the light queen, everybody's laughing, everybody's happy."

Rich liked it. He liked it more than Paul's silly song. He didn't tell Paul that.

George said, "I'm surprised he'd want to give up a song obviously about Yoko, if you got the lyric right."

"That part I got right."

Rich laughed, "I'll sing it to Maureen." He turned to her, "You okay with that."

"It's better being a light queen than having everyone ask if I was in a car wreck." She was referring to the line in "Don't Pass Me By."

George looked at Rich and smiled, "You know." He turned to Paul, still sitting at the piano, "But you don't. One of my new songs is to Pattie. I'm calling it 'Like No Other Lover.'" Pattie blushed.

Maggie said, "So he's switching back to romance songs from religious ones?" She put her arm around Pattie, "You'll enjoy it. I do."

"You doing it today?" Paul asked George.

"No. I love working with the Grease Band, but it's not a Grease Band type of song. I'd rather work on it with you and John," he turned to Rich, "and you too, Rich."

"Looks like I'm going to be Ringo still, doesn't it?"

Paul, George, and the women all laughed.

Last edited:
I can't believe I did three updates today. Tomorrow we'll get to the big one.

By the way, all the actual updates are not threadmarked. I didn't do the timelines, the covers, or the videos from OTL in separate posts. I will sooner or later do a post to link to all the videos and one to link to all the covers and then threadmarks those. Of course I'll also do the final timeline.

I can't believe I did three updates today. Tomorrow we'll get to the big one.

By the way, all the actual updates are not threadmarked. I didn't do the timelines, the covers, or the videos from OTL in separate posts. I will sooner or later do a post to link to all the videos and one to link to all the covers and then threadmarks those. Of course I'll also do the final timeline.
Not only dd you post three updates in one day but three pretty cool updates and one quite touching.