In this country , it is good to kill an admiral from time to time

How is the Italian population in Libya reacting to this mess?
How do countries that got off lightly like the UPNG the Republic of Carolinas and the Peruvian Republic feel about the war?

Not well? Many colonists sold everything and fled to the continent when it became obvious which way the wind was blowing. Some factions are rallying to the Spanish or the French in the hope fellow white-coloured conquerrors are better than the natives they oppressed. Otherwise, the sum-up can be described as 'not good'.

Depending on their losses and the amount of territory annexed...'it was not worth it' is in general the dominating feeling. The Entente has emerged more powerful than them, and the bulkwark they have errected has proven more than useless, because the moment your foe has control of the sea, he can pretty much strangle you...

so I'm guessing that the Scottish language is going to be extinct?

There's going to be enormous passive resistance, but unless Scotland somehow manages to reconquer its independence soon, yeah the Scottish language is going to disappear from memories.

There's going to be enormous passive resistance, but unless Scotland somehow manages to reconquer its independence soon, yeah the Scottish language is going to disappear from memories.
I hope it survives in other places, then just Scotland.

It's enormously difficult to kill of a language. Being banned from speaking it outside your home would certainly cause usage to fall with every generation, but I wouldn't expect it do be lost to history.

Americans spend a long time separating Native American children from their parents and culture to try to eradicate the language, history and traditions. Children were taken from their parents and raised in boarding schools. They did this for more than a century, roughly 4-6 generations.
The Native Americans had a much smaller population base than the Scottish do, and their treatment was with cultural genocide as the stated goal, but still the languages persisted.

I don't foresee a happy future for the Scottish people, but I also doubt the will to subjugate Scottish culture to the extent that the Native American cultures were and to then enforce it across multiple generations.

Some factions are rallying to the Spanish or the French in the hope fellow white-coloured conquerrors are better than the natives they oppressed
Well, I don’t think Italian in Libya have to worry about that, just going off what you wrote about its colonisation and the time it has been in Italian hands, I am pretty sure Italian are the majority over there, by far.
Not that it’s hard, considering local demographics... in 1900 OTL the entirety of Libya had a population of around 500 000 if I remember right?

Well, I don’t think Italian in Libya have to worry about that, just going off what you wrote about its colonisation and the time it has been in Italian hands, I am pretty sure Italian are the majority over there, by far.
Not that it’s hard, considering local demographics... in 1900 OTL the entirety of Libya had a population of around 500 000 if I remember right?

Well there have been...foreign parties arming and sending mercenaries to threaten Italian interests for several years before the Great War. But yeah, even considering different demographics, there is a majority of Italians-speakers...which doesn't please at all the minorities and the new administrators in several provinces, of course;

While I eagerly wait for the new update, here is a map of the world in 1902, one year after the end of the Great War.

upload_2019-3-20_21-12-36.png

Last edited:
One China Rises One China Suffers (China 1902)

The Great War had not spared the Far East and in particular China. The provinces near the pre-war frontier had been devastated, and they were not the only ones. Never before had there been an industrial effort of this magnitude in Asia, and the two Empires of China had been far less prepared to the apocalyptic conflict than the European nations. Starvation and diseases took their toll. Bandits and deserters imposed their violence on isolated villages and non-patrolled roads. A few more years of war, and it was likely provinces far from the frontlines would have been cut from the authority of the central governments in all but name.

But the Great War ended in 1902. For Southern China, mauled but victorious, this was all to their advantage. Divisions and regiments redirected from the war against the North went on the offensive to restore order. The authority of the Southern Emperor was intact, and the war machine and the industries were in their great majority intact.

Furthermore, Southern China had someone to rally against: the foreigners. These so-called ‘allies’ had invited Chuan China in their ‘Central Alliance’ with false promises. In hindsight, the citizens of Guangzhou and the great coastal cities were forced to acknowledge the Danish, the Californians and the Granadans had never treated them as near-equal peers. The territorial ambitions of China had been ignored the moment Bogota and its allies were confident they would not face any military opposition. Add the conquests of Russia and Japan to the north, and before the treaties of the Great War were signed, millions of Chinese were all too ready to believe the Europeans, Americans and their allies wanted nothing less than the humiliation of China and add their cities to their growing colonial empire.

Of course, Southern China was in no condition to counter-attack for the time being. The ministers of Guangzhou knew the Great War had revealed uncountable flaws and issues in the nation’s administration levels, taxation and military forces. Moreover, being furious at their former allies did not change the fact virtually the entire pre-war army died in the last four years of struggle.

Southern China had to rebuild for the next clash with the Great Powers. It would need years, but the Emperor and his Generals were keen on playing the long game. With the capture of Hainan, the Chinese sailors had captured many merchants and auxiliaries of the Central Alliance, and while the overwhelming majority were returned, some hulls were ‘lost’ in the transfers. The Chinese shipyards were going study attentively cutting-edge technology and disseminate the knowledge all over the coast. Already plans were made to improve the existing Navy in a first five-year plan. The Southern China Sea was lost for the time being, but Southern China would wait for an opportunity to regain their dominance. No longer would it bow to false friends who broke the treaties like honour meant nothing. And in the mean time, opium, tobacco and several other drugs the great trading companies had loved to sell at Shanghai and elsewhere had their customs increased by five times. This was, of course, a prelude to the formal ban of these goods destroying the soul and the body of millions of Chinese, but few in the Far East realised this.

In contrast, Wu China was becoming more and more a non-entity in its own lands. Where the Southern Emperor reaffirmed his authorities and created a Great Council of Nobles and Generals, the Northern Emperor was a prisoner in own palace, and Russian ‘advisors’ were the real masters on theatre. And their commands were really lacking in subtlety. The loss of Chosen and the peninsula might have been forgotten by the Chinese, as their armies had been transferred southwards to prevent the Southerners from overrunning everything. However, the loss of Manchuria, sacrificed to appease the Russians, was a monumental humiliation for the subjects of Wu. Battered and defeated, the inhabitants of Beijing did not stay silent as their vast Empire was divided by the wolves circling around them and the Russian companies began to impose their rules on their country. Assuredly, their rulers had not been perfect, but they had the same skin colour. These foreign devils did not, and their taxes and their arrogance were too much.

In taverns and cities, people began to whisper the Wu dynasty had obviously lost the Mandate of Heaven, and that the Southerners had got something right for once: it was the fault of the foreigners. They had betrayed China and forced them to fight other Chinese for their own games. And what had they gotten for their plains covered in corpses and dangerous ammunition? Nothing, no worse than nothing: death, taxes and the iron fist of people who mocked their culture. This was not acceptable anymore.

As the puppet regime tried with a succession of half-triumphs and heavy-dosed propaganda to convince everything was soon going to return to pre-war levels of prosperity, the first insurrections began. The first revolt began in the city of Yinchuan, but soon dozens other joined it. Rifles and cannons which had mysteriously in the stocks confiscated by the Russians re-emerged in rebel hands in pristine conditions and the further one went west, the faster the regular forces of Beijing disintegrated when they did not outright joined the rebellion with their weapons and their supplies. In defiance of the ugly green colours of their opponents, red flags, red turbans and red armbands were prepared by the hundreds of thousands. Beijing annihilated five rebel columns in the west in November 1902, but it was too late to prevent the fires of rebellion from spreading. The Red Banners’ Rebellion had begun.

Yeah, Wu is going to fold into Southern China. I don’t see how Russia can put down such well armed rebellions so Far East. This is further compounded by Poland and Persia. So much territories to pacify, so little time to do so.

Funnily enough, I think France might be the western country with the best reputation in China right now.
A huge Rebellion... well, northern China is probably going to be a non-entity for the next few decades. they should be reaching manpower limit soon...

I just hope the Tsarina understands that giving up all but Manchuria and the OTL Russian Empire, coupled to French friendship are worth far more. Else she might find a Russian rebel’s war weary bajonet up her privileged rear. And the Empire in civil war.

Yeah, Wu is going to fold into Southern China. I don’t see how Russia can put down such well armed rebellions so Far East. This is further compounded by Poland and Persia. So much territories to pacify, so little time to do so.

It's indeed a likely scenario. Though the rebellions in Persia aren't that much of a problem. Not enough potential rebels around to worry a Russian division.

Funnily enough, I think France might be the western country with the best reputation in China right now.
A huge Rebellion... well, northern China is probably going to be a non-entity for the next few decades. they should be reaching manpower limit soon...

Yeah, although it isn't saying much. Propaganda doesn't differenciate too much between the different 'foreigners' and the common population tends to be full of prejudices, especially if they lived on the coastal areas.

I just hope the Tsarina understands that giving up all but Manchuria and the OTL Russian Empire, coupled to French friendship are worth far more. Else she might find a Russian rebel’s war weary bajonet up her privileged rear. And the Empire in civil war.

The Tsarina doesn't intend to abandon Manchuria or any of the areas they have just conquerred. While Wu China is the hotbed of the rebellion, there are far enough troops the further you come close to Russian territory to prevent any successful independence bid. Not to mention the majority of the rebels are Chinese troops and volunteers...the Russian army is far, far better led and armed than these opponents.

Hey, I really like this thread and was just wondering if someone could give a list of the populations of all the nations? Wanna know who I should reasonably root for!

Thanks...unfortunately I don't have exactly right now the time to make a population list, I will try to give some numbers every update, but I can't promise more than that.