Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my alternate atlas of the twentieth century
Dark red=Axis
Light red=Axis occupation
Orange=axis puppet
Blue=Allies
Do you any more information on this? I'd love to have more information, like specific battles etc.

labarum-2-png.450846

labarum-png.450847

romania-flag-map-4-png.450849
romania-flag-map-2-png.450848

romania-flag-map-png.450850
romania-flag-map-3-png.450851

Just playing around with some flags. The trouble is, is that the Romans wouldn't use heraldry and even flags in the way that the West does or would. That presents a problem. While the Palaiologoi did begin using a heraldic form for their family as well as creating a "flag" in the last century of the Imperium, this Romania has not had to go through the difficulties of a post 4th crusade existence, and was able to return back to a free peasantry and a growing middle class, thus escaping feudalism in the time. Thus I used the Cross of Constantine to symbolise the Romans. Maybe hammer and sickles will take on new forms? Just having fun.
I imagine the flags would be considered a lot more on what kind of material they were printed on. High-quality? Low-quality? If there's still an Emperor in this Romania, I would anticipate the flag to be purple. If it's an alt-Communist government, I would guess white or beige, something to symbolize wool made for commoners. Merchant republic: blue maybe? Lower-caste dye and also the color of the sea (hey, some things are pretty consistent across cultures!)

I imagine the flags would be considered a lot more on what kind of material they were printed on. High-quality? Low-quality? If there's still an Emperor in this Romania, I would anticipate the flag to be purple. If it's an alt-Communist government, I would guess white or beige, something to symbolize wool made for commoners. Merchant republic: blue maybe? Lower-caste dye and also the color of the sea (hey, some things are pretty consistent across cultures!)
Oh that's a great idea! However I'm trying to keep the Republican aspects of the state, maybe reds and golds. Purple although is the imperial colour, the polity is a common thing, thus the standard, the emblem of the Empire, must be public as well. Purple for the standard when the Basileus is in the presence of Western diplomats.

Another interesting concept... does the Basileus, equal of the apostles, fashion themself an imperial standard like the westerners or the Chinese emperors?

Oh man, I sure do love great pixel maps, and yours is no exception.

I love this so much.

So did Islam fail to break out of Arabia/less Islam conversion?

What's up with all those Pagan Religions? (Not that I'm complaining. I really love that part of this.)

Tell us more about Egypt, Assyria, and Persia.

Outstanding map! Is there a main POD for the TL? What's the story behind the resurgence of the Kemetic faith in Egypt?

Thank you all so much! This probably isn't thought out enough to warrant posting a map, but too late now. My plan is that Islam swept across North Africa as OTL but struggled to maintain control over Egypt, which was still solidly Kemetic due to much lesser Christian and Roman influence in the area. Islam did, however, catch on among those in northwest Africa, and Islam was, albeit in a limited manner, mixed with some of the local religious groups, creating a syncretic sect of Islam that was eventually declared heretical by Mecca. I find Polytheism fascinating and a more interesting scenario than monotheism everywhere, so expect a hell of a lot more paganism in this series. Egypt maintains a strong cultural identity and is often quite isolationist compared to her neighbors, proud of their religion, language, and history. Assyria maintained a monarchy for many years before being overthrown in a military coup which has maintained power through smart political maneuvering and giving more political and social freedoms to Assyrian nationals. They are proud of the Christian church as well, and the Patriarchs in Antioch and Jerusalem maintain a large degree of influence to this day. Persia is somewhat similar to Egypt with their isolationism, but has also found opportunities to expand their power on the international stage, making them let up on that, as well as work to spread Zoroastrianism to other parts of the globe. The POD is very vague, and as fantasy races and things are probably going to exist in this timeline, I'd place the POD as indefinite, but certainly tens of thousands of years back. Thank you again for all the questions

I mean it's ASB and all but how is there Pakistan if they are a majority Hindu country? Doesn't even look like Islam made it to there.

With the latest installment of my Rajahs and Hornbills timeline, I can finally show the map I've been tweaking for the past year! Colonial Africa in 1905!

pay no attention to the misspelled Madagascar. Also, you saw nothing in the Request Maps/Flags thread.

C85OWoA.png

With the latest installment of my Rajahs and Hornbills timeline, I can finally show the map I've been tweaking for the past year! Colonial Africa in 1905!

pay no attention to the misspelled Madagascar. Also, you saw nothing in the Request Maps/Flags thread.
... Hmmm. Should I assume that all the Freedmen and such were made to keep to the coast of Sierra Leone and Liberia while the Brits and Yankees for some reason gave their support to those hinterlands due to not having as much as they do IOTL? Because if they didn't know about IOTL, I would say it looks like the French got quite a lot. Also, Tripolitania seems to have expanded into Egypt, despite the two having pretty much the OTL border at the coast for four hundred years.

Here is a map inspired by a thread I saw about a uk wank in ww2, basically this a map of all cold war relevant international organisations in 1976, POD is a successful business plot coup in the USA. (note. the Commonwealth of nations is basically TTLs version of the UN)
kWXEjYC.jpg

(Higher res Version: https://i.imgur.com/nl3TXxT.jpg)
Interesting facts about TTL:
1. WW2 dates are (1939-1940, 1941-1947)
2. Hydrogen Bombs dont exist yet
3. Franco lives a few more months
4. 1960's American Civil War
5. Successful Mussolini

feel free to give me tips and criticisms

Very nice. I assume the Sokoto Caliphate has some support from the Ottomans? Neither the French nor the British are likely to want it as a neighbor.

Poor Portugal: so near, yet so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.