Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MOTF entry, and a love letter to my two favorite works of post-apocalyptic fiction - one reference is obvious and central to the concept, the other just touched on in places. This is more or less a remake of this map from 2015 (jesus christ I'm getting old) and speaks well to how far I've come in ability. Maybe come 2023 I'll make another one just as much better.

4CnPlJF.jpg

In his time, Emperor Keyser of Arixo rose from nothing to the most powerful ruler in old North America. He unified the tribes of Red Rock country, became master of the Four Corners, and crossed the Colorado in triumph, smashing the forces of the upstart Californian Republic and claiming the gleaming city of Vegas for his capital.

And then he died, and his empire - that which he hoped would be the seed of a new American civilization - died with him.

The feared Malpais Legate, leader of the bulk of the imperial armies in California, was lifted onto his troops' shields and named the natural successor. He marched into Vegas in a glorious triumph and by all accounts, appeared to cement his position as Emperor. But he was not to be unopposed.

Prefect Lucius, one of the old Emperor's most trusted advisers, fled to the old capital of Flagstaff and arrayed many of the Empire's elites behind him, raising an army to rival the Legate's.

Tribune Gaius Magnus, leader of the Empire's conquest of Baja California and a major rival of the Legate, declared himself Emperor and marched back north, seizing much of Southern California.

Procurator Aurelius of Phoenix, ruler of the second richest province in the Empire, declared himself for the Legate and led a coalition of southern provinces to oppose the Prefect.

Prefect Silus of Cibola, an ambitious man, declared his province an independent kingdom and crowned himself Dux of all New Mexico. Moving his capital to the Rio Grande, he foresaw the final end of the empire and planned a new hydraulic empire under his dynasty, stretching all the way to the Gulf of Mexico.

Praetor Inculta of the Army of the North had been given the unenviable task of guarding the Long 15, the only link between the Imperial core and the rich border provinces of the old Utah and Colorado. As the Empire fell he kept to his duty, using his army to strongarm local governors and tribes to recognize him as the supreme authority in the absence of an uncontested Emperor.

Vexillarius Tiberius, leader of the military province of Denver, marched west with his legion and seized control of the depot of Circle Junction. Naming himself Magistrate of the Upper Colorado, he declared continued allegiance to the Empire but neutrality among the three claimants.

Propraetor Ulysses, governor of the isolated province of Chihuahua, was left isolated on the edge of the civilized world with just a handful of units as garrison, as imperial resources were redirected to the civil war. Pulling back to the province center, he prepared as best he could to hold out until the empire reunited and sent reinforcements.

But the reunification never came. The Legate and the Tribune, both seeing each other as the greatest threat, tore into each others' armies and both died at the brutal battle of Hesperia Pass. California fell into a chaos of squabbling statelets and never recovered.

The Prefect marched triumphantly into Vegas and claimed the imperial title, and spent the rest of his short life chasing the dream of reconquering the empire, reclaiming almost all of old Arizona and New Mexico before the earth reclaimed him. His heirs ruled in decadent indolence for almost another 500 years, slowly losing territory to younger, more vigorous powers.

The Procurator of Phoenix was the first victim of the Prefect's reconquest, losing his capital and the northern half of his kingdom. But he and his heirs rebuilt survived in the old border province of Sonora, becoming one of the dominant powers of Northern Mexico.

The Dux's grand plans never came to fruition. He soon faced the threat of a coup from a group of soldiers who declared their commander Emperor Lanius, throwing the kingdom into civil war. The Dux eventually won, but the war left his state vulnerable to the Prefect's armies, which easily seized the territory.

The Praetor quickly lost the province of Utah to a Canaanite revolt, and in the absence of this tax base, he proved unable to defend the Long 15 from the raiding tribes of Inner Nevada. His realm fell into dust within a generation, forever severing the tenuous link between East and West which so much blood had been spilt to build.

As the West fell into anarchy, the Domain of the Upper Colorado slowly turned eastwards and grew in power as the military orders of the Great Plains were slowly replaced by nomadic tribes. As the old Empire of Flagstaff declined, the heirs of the Magistrate claimed the title for themselves, becoming Emperors of Denver and ruling a good portion of North America for nearly a millennium and a half.

The Propraetor of Chihuahua held on against all odds, repulsing native rebellions as well as invasions from Sonora, Laredo and Texas. His heirs consolidated the realm into a mighty kingdom which survived over 900 years before being politically outmanoeuvred by a power of a new age.

Last edited:
ISRAEL.

POD: CSA win civil war after capturing Washington DC in August 1861 after winning the Battle of Bull Run.

After gaining it's independence the CSA would quickly become a Slavtocratic Military dictatorship. Between 1861-1901 over 6 million free whites would leave the country as the planter elite monopolise land ownership. Over the next 40 years after independence the CSA would bring in over 7.5 million people of African descent into the country as "immigrants", but it was an open secret in the world that they were to be sold into slavery. Many of these blacks came from the Caribbean and Latin America as slave raids were conducted on nations like Haiti, or smuggled into to nation by human traffickers from Latin America. Or came from Brazil as many slave owners decided to sell their slaves to the CSA merchants when plans to abolish slavery became public, fearing the compensation fro the government wouldn't be enough. But a solid chunk came from Africa, when the British tried to intervene the CSA pretty much declared that they were temporary migrants just like the Chinese in California and Australia and would go back home after 10 years with their pay. The problem would be that many of these Africans would lose their "papers" and without a way to distinguish between slaves and Africans, CSA laws ruled that those blacks without papers were runaway slaves, aided by the Belgian free state, just under 4 million Congolese found them self's in america. With 40 years the population of the CSA went from 9.1 million with around around 3.5 million being black to 31 million with around 21 million being black.

As the black population grew due to new slaves and also the high birth rate of blacks as slave owners in charge of the government concentrated more of the nations land into their hands owning sprawling estates that covered an area as large as the counties they lived in and thus bred their property to produce more working hands. CSA started to industrialise rapidly. Unable to attract immigrants from Europe or Latin due to the spread of white flight from the nation became a world wide talking point, the first industrialists in the country started to buy slaves, this would lead to a rebound in slave prices after the bubble for cotton and other agricultural products burst in the late 1870's. Unable to buy slaves at the now higher prices the factory owners started to rents slaves to work at their factory. This had the effect of accidentally educating the slaves and in the city and far away from their masters eagle eye, the slaves started a conspiracy.

Things came to ahead when in late 1899, the CSA wanting a pacific coast went to war with Mexico. The CSA government had under sound wisdom believed the threat of their ally in Europe and main creditor Germany would be keep the French out. But when Austria-Hungary joined their Hapsburg kin in the war against them and the Italian king gave his full support to his Mexican Brother in-law, the Germans declared neutrality not wanting to choose between their European allies and the CSA. With the Germans Neutral France declared war, and So did the British. The war was a disaster for the CSA, but just as it looked like they were in a position to make peace, in 1901 the Slaves revolted, with most of their armies west of the Mississippi and the British navy in control of New Orleans, the Mostly Black East quickly fell to the slaves revolt, led by Northern Black Communist that came south and home grown Christian radicals things quickly became ugly. Whites fled for their lives and when an alliance of European powers and the USA couldn't defeat the rebels peace was made.

Calling their new nation Israel due to the mass popularity that they were gods chosen people, inspired by Pastor Martin Luther King who lost his life in the war, they made their capital Atlanta Georgia, renaming it Jerusalem. Israel became the first Communist Theocracy in the world. The war was Bloody of the 21 million Blacks before the war around 17 million had made it into Israel, another 2 million still resided in the western CSA and 2 million died, most were civilians massacred by angry whites, after very firm international pressure, the CSA would "expel" allow the remaining blacks to leave for Israel. Over the next 10 years, Britain would hand over all of the coastal cities they had captured during the war, finally giving back New Orleans in 1912 as part a trade treaty. The USA was both terrified and curious about its new neighbour, but after the humiliating defeat against Israeli rebels at Harrisonburg Virginia, the USA would withdraw CSA territory and after the war signed the Philadelphia Treaty, which it recognised Israels independence alongside the European powers and recognised it's border to be that of the former CSA.

Israel first act was to redistribute land to the former slaves . The coalition of Pastors and Communist quickly came to an understanding and started to build their new nation. Following the teaching of the late Pastor King that a man only needed freedom, land and education to contribute to his society, the new government focused on that after a tumultuous first decade were they managed to thwart 4 different coup attempts, Israel quickly started to develop a nation, an identity, a economy. For the rest of the world they couldn't wait that long the Former CSA was a breadbasket fro the world economy and with it gone food prices rose, and cash crops became so expensive that many African colonies became profitable over night. This was not an issue for Israel, much of the new farmers didn't bother with cash crops but instead used their lands to grow food to feed themselves,their families and what ever was left was sold for profit. While many former slaves took to landowners ships like fish to water, most that used to live in the cities instead demanded that they be given ownership stakes in factories they worked in, at first the Israeli government was hesitant and they believed that they should own the means of industrial production, but after the 4th coup led by hard communist hardliners was defeated, privatisation of industry took place. Over time the Church of Israel would grow powerful enough as both a cultural and political force that they were able to muscle out the communist or force to to turn coat. By 1930, the country had become a full blown theocracy, with the head of the Church also become the head of State. Under the Title of Premier, the Premiership of Israel would slowly but in end become a Military and Economic power by the start of the 40s.

Today Israel is a fairly prosperous nation, It is a innovator in technology and one of the largest contributors to the UN security force. Unofficially called West Israel, it is a top 5 world economy, behind China, India, the USA and ahead of Britain.

Map of North America as of 2019

Untitled.png

flag

Untitledq.png
Blue: USA
Red: Israel
Grey: CSA
Green Mexico
Pink: UK

Populations:
USA: 180 million
Israel: 180 million
CSA: 65 million
Mexico: 140 million
Canada: 70 million

Last edited:
Crosspost from MotF 193:
motf_193_page_by_courageouslife_dd3ihjm-pre.png

Somewhere back in the annals of history, the Franks migrate to the island of Britain as the Saxons, Angles, and Jutes expand westward on the continent. The result of the alternate migration is a more politically divided west Europe and the powder keg for the Great War.

Purely to intensify the colours of the countries and to let me use blue as a country colour which I usually avoid
As far as I observed, basemaps with a limited color set are very annoying when it comes to blues if you have already the sea and rivers in that color.

From my alternate atlas of the twentieth century
ahww2 me and koby 1938.png

Fall 1938
ahww2 me and koby 1938 1.png

winter 1938
ahww2 me + koby 1939.png

ahww2 me + koby 1940.png

ahww2 me + koby 1941.png

ahww2 me + koby 1942.png

ahww2 me + koby 1943.png

spring 1943
ahww2 me + koby 1943 1.png

winter 1943
ahww2 me + koby 1944.png

march 1944
ahww2 me + koby 1944 1.png

November 1944
Dark red=Axis
Light red=Axis occupation
Orange=axis puppet
Blue=Allies

Map from my ASB TL. I'm very, very sorry for the amount of butterflies murdered to create these convergent borders, but I hope y'all enjoy anyways :p
Questions welcome

e.png

Map from my ASB TL. I'm very, very sorry for the amount of butterflies murdered to create these convergent borders, but I hope y'all enjoy anyways :p
Questions welcome

View attachment 450839

I love this so much.

So did Islam fail to break out of Arabia/less Islam conversion?

What's up with all those Pagan Religions? (Not that I'm complaining. I really love that part of this.)

Tell us more about Egypt, Assyria, and Persia.

labarum-2-png.450846

labarum-png.450847

romania-flag-map-4-png.450849
romania-flag-map-2-png.450848

romania-flag-map-png.450850
romania-flag-map-3-png.450851

Just playing around with some flags. The trouble is, is that the Romans wouldn't use heraldry and even flags in the way that the West does or would. That presents a problem. While the Palaiologoi did begin using a heraldic form for their family as well as creating a "flag" in the last century of the Imperium, this Romania has not had to go through the difficulties of a post 4th crusade existence, and was able to return back to a free peasantry and a growing middle class, thus escaping feudalism in the time. Thus I used the Cross of Constantine to symbolise the Romans. Maybe hammer and sickles will take on new forms? Just having fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.