What is the least accurate alternate history you have ever read?

I have two.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. Yes, you read that right. Someone decided to make a alternate history novel and slap the name of the in-universe book from Man in the High Castle on the cover.

This is the literal description for it on Amazon.

"1966 -- a century after the Confederate States of America won the Civil War -- the Cold War rages.

The Soviets control the west coast. The British have The Colonies. The Confederacy is a powder keg in the middle.

A terrorist attack in dystopian Atlanta lights the fuse.

A Captain in the KKK grows disillusioned with his country. A widow who won’t grieve grows disillusioned with herself. A slave working at a weapons factory reaches his limits. A British invasion of Black Panthers. A Russian spy hides in plain sight. A President cashes in his chips.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy tells the story of an America on the brink- of war, of identity, of starting over",

I remember reading a review about that.
It sounds like it's been written by an alien space bat.

I have two.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy. Yes, you read that right. Someone decided to make a alternate history novel and slap the name of the in-universe book from Man in the High Castle on the cover.

This is the literal description for it on Amazon.

"1966 -- a century after the Confederate States of America won the Civil War -- the Cold War rages.

The Soviets control the west coast. The British have The Colonies. The Confederacy is a powder keg in the middle.

A terrorist attack in dystopian Atlanta lights the fuse.

A Captain in the KKK grows disillusioned with his country. A widow who won’t grieve grows disillusioned with herself. A slave working at a weapons factory reaches his limits. A British invasion of Black Panthers. A Russian spy hides in plain sight. A President cashes in his chips.

The Grasshopper Lies Heavy tells the story of an America on the brink- of war, of identity, of starting over",

There is one more. The Fuhrer's Daughter.

Yep, you read that right. But don't be deceived. It's not about Adolf Hitler's daughter. It's about the daughter of the Fuhrer of German-occupied United States. What happened to the Fuhrer of the actual German Reich? That's simple. For that, they threw out the title of Fuhrer and replaced it with the Kaiser.

Yes, seriously.

I know that probably doesn't mean much for most of you, but it drives me around the bend. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2V3QZ6/ref=series_dp_rw_ca_1

God, making the leader of the nazis basically a royal? What is so hard to understand for these people!!!

Poorly thoughts alternate-history are dime a dozen, but one that keep coming back to mind are the background story of both Homefront games.

The first one I could still (barely) suspend my disbelief. And it was more future story than alternate story when it came out. Since then, they realized Kim Jong Un is a doofus, and rewrote the whole things in pure AH with North Korea developing a Silicon Valley-style tech hotbed in the 70s.

And somehow a half-starving autarcy outpaces everyone in technological development, with robots and stormtroopers in power armors straight out of Wolfenstein.

It's not unambiguous alternate history, but Mike Lunnon-Wood's Dark Rose , which features the Libyans and Palestinians invading Ireland to secure it as a bargaining chip to leverage the US to leverage Israel in Arab-Israeli negotiations (I'm not making this up) is certainly one of the most "out there" conflicts I've read.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Well, libertarians are very silly people in general. They go on and on about how they hate "moochers" and "looters", but they are the moochers themselves. They want to have all the benefits of a rule-based society -- the police, the courts, the intellectual property protections, clean water that comes out of faucets -- without obeying those rules.
Be grateful that I've just had my morning coffee.

Next time you try to derail a non-Chat thread with current politics it won't matter.

Do NOT REPEAT.

Jack Brisco

Banned
Many years ago, found the paperback Amerika, based on the awful 1987 mini-series. Couldn't find it on Amazon a few minutes ago, so guess the book has disappeared under the waves, where it deserves to be.

It's not unambiguous alternate history, but Mike Lunnon-Wood's Dark Rose , which features the Libyans and Palestinians invading Ireland to secure it as a bargaining chip to leverage the US to leverage Israel in Arab-Israeli negotiations (I'm not making this up) is certainly one of the most "out there" conflicts I've read.
It was certainly an original premise if nothing else.