What is the least accurate alternate history you have ever read?

Not "Least Plausible" (though that certainly helps) but the least accurate to how the players involved actually are. Relying on historical misconceptions etc. The most inaccurate ones i have read are "Live in Infamy" and "The Only Thing to Fear" by Caroline Tung Richmond
  • Nazi Germany as a monarchy led by Hitler's Descendants
  • America being conquered by Japan and Germany with the USSR still in existence and not attacked
  • Americans are seen as untermensch
  • The war is won with literal fucking superpowers including Summoning Ice, Summoning Fire, Destroying entire cities, Mind reading, and flight. Despite the germans getting these first they still decide not to attack the USSR!

Not "Least Plausible" (though that certainly helps) but the least accurate to how the players involved actually are. Relying on historical misconceptions etc. The most inaccurate ones i have read are "Live in Infamy" and "The Only Thing to Fear" by Caroline Tung Richmond
  • America being conquered by Japan and Germany with the USSR still in existence and not attacked
  • The war is won with literal fucking superpowers including Summoning Ice, Summoning Fire, Destroying entire cities, Mind reading, and flight. Despite the germans getting these first they still decide not to attack the USSR!

Well, I'm sold.

in days past, we had a general agreement across the board that the least accurate/plausible AH was the Stars and Stripes trilogy by Harry Harrison. The UK gets involved in the war, siding with the CSA, and screws up so badly that they attack a city in the south instead of the north. The south and north reunite to take on Perfidious Albion, the USN defeats the RN, the US invades first Ireland and then the UK itself, using primitive tanks (yes, tanks). Even in all the years since it was published, it's hard to find anything comparably bad...

Deleted member 2186

in days past, we had a general agreement across the board that the least accurate/plausible AH was the Stars and Stripes trilogy by Harry Harrison. The UK gets involved in the war, siding with the CSA, and screws up so badly that they attack a city in the south instead of the north. The south and north reunite to take on Perfidious Albion, the USN defeats the RN, the US invades first Ireland and then the UK itself, using primitive tanks (yes, tanks). Even in all the years since it was published, it's hard to find anything comparably bad...
Was going to say the same thing, unless a new rival for least accurate/plausible AH has appeared sins then.

They never attacked the Soviets because (besides never breaking the molotov-ribbentrop Pact) the USSR developed it's own super men, where as the United States decided to stick with creating an atomic bomb. The bomb was either too late or never built.

That's why the Americans are seen as untermensch: they never built their living super weapons.

Granted, the book is still ASB

like 500 years of good government? where the POD starts in the 15th century and makes the Mexican government the best in the world...

They never attacked the Soviets because (besides never breaking the molotov-ribbentrop Pact) the USSR developed it's own super men, where as the United States decided to stick with creating an atomic bomb. The bomb was either too late or never built.

That's why the Americans are seen as untermensch: they never built their living super weapons.

Granted, the book is still ASB
If i remember right though the POD is 1942 though id have to check again to be sure.

Just posting a link to a fairly comprehensive review of book one ...
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/review-of-stars-and-stripes-forever.97729/
... parts two and three actually get worse.

Through Darkest Europe by Turtledove.

Europe is a horrible, religious hotbed and the middle East is peaceful and rich. Why?
Because two theologians changed their views on God and science.

Yup, that's why the OTL middle East is in its current state: cause one guy said Allah doesn't go with science, totally ignoring the effects of colonization, the rise of Arab nationalism under the Ottomans, etc.

Europe is poor and terrible because it's Christian in TTL. That's it. No domination by Africa or the Middle East, just because it's religion.

Seems rather inaccurate.

Warning
Well, libertarians are very silly people in general. They go on and on about how they hate "moochers" and "looters", but they are the moochers themselves. They want to have all the benefits of a rule-based society -- the police, the courts, the intellectual property protections, clean water that comes out of faucets -- without obeying those rules.

Well, libertarians are very silly people in general. They go on and on about how they hate "moochers" and "looters", but they are the moochers themselves. They want to have all the benefits of a rule-based society -- the police, the courts, the intellectual property protections, clean water that comes out of faucets -- without obeying those rules.

What does this have to do with the discussion? There's no post under it that lines up with it either... did you just post this in the wrong place. Not touching what you are saying because I personally don't care.

What does this have to do with the discussion? There's no post under it that lines up with it either... did you just post this in the wrong place. Not touching what you are saying because I personally don't care.

We were talking about the silly libertarian ATLs Probability Broach and Roswell, Texas, and I pointed that libertarianism is itself silly. A few multiquotes would likely have made the connection clear, my bad.