Why wasn't Gustave Whitehead credited with "first flight" ahead of the Wrights?

The Primary reason they give it to the Wright brothers was they could prove they could do it and did it in a manner that enough witnesses saw it happen that people could say for certain it flew at a press showing a month later. This makes it much easier to believe their first flight actually happened than Whitehead’s attempt.

If you cant or dont replicate the act, dont be surprised when people doubt you.

It is really giving me the chills to envision this. Quite moving, really. Ok, here is my thought on this.
The Wrights stifled American aviation development due to the chill THEY put on inventors and potential manufacturers, including our foremost inventor, Curtiss. This might have led to a stronger America with stronger European allies.
The Wrights marketed heavily to all the European nations poised for war. One might say the Wrights may have felt that was an aspect to their marketing that made aeroplanes which could be used in war very desirable as spy planes and for bombing enemy targets. This is actually documented in the newspapers of the day and in correspondence archives (LOC).
The marketing to the Germans and Russians may not have ever occurred, as Whitehead was a staunch pacifist. If he'd received generous funding for development of his inventions, he'd not have used aeroplanes as a further poker in the fires of impending war in Europe.
Without WWI, and the reparations required after Germany lost, the Germans would not have had such a severe depression where they were starving as the country had to pay such heavy fines for causing WWI, in the terms of the settlement of the end of the war. Hitler rose to power because the nationalist feelings were so strong, as Germans were vilified and blamed, and he also put them to work, solving their dire economic problems. Without those two aspects, no Hitler, no WWII involving Germany.

Mmm no. As Johnrankins stated, WWI was the result of unbalanced power dynamics in Europe (due to Germany's unanticipated appearance and rise in the 19th century) combined with Edwardian politics and byzantine alliance systems.

The Primary reason they give it to the Wright brothers was they could prove they could do it and did it in a manner that enough witnesses saw it happen that people could say for certain it flew at a press showing a month later. This makes it much easier to believe their first flight actually happened than Whitehead’s attempt.

If you cant or dont replicate the act, dont be surprised when people doubt you.

Yeah pretty much they got their claim global first. Its not a conspiracy, they just had better publicity. It doesnt matter in the end except for those individuals who miss out pn the fame.

McPherson

Banned
https://web.archive.org/web/2012032...-history.com/Gustave Whitehead Flying Machine
The alternative truth about who invented the first successful airplane and made the first successful flight of mankind is controversial. Gustave Whitehead is said to be have successfully flown a powered aeroplane of his own invention - closer to the design of modern planes than the Wright Flyer 1 - successfully taking off and landing during the period 1901-1903, on multiple occasions. The testimonies and articles testifying to the flights include those of 18 witnesses, the Scientific American aviation editor in at least five of its issues of the of the era, in 12 local news articles by numerous local newspapers, and Gustave Whitehead, himself, in trade journals, regional newspapers, and at least one surviving letter. What do you think and please cite primary sources if known, as much misinformation exists on the web and in previously authored books by historians. I am the author of "Gustave Whitehead: First in Flight", having been involved closely with the research conducted from 1963 forward to this current date, and in past years, met a number of Whitehead's contemporaries, including flight witnesses. Please see my profile. A related question is how did the Smithsonian-Wright Agreement of 1948 hamper investigations and credit, if credit is due? It is fitting to ask this question on Jan. 1, the birthday of Gustave Whitehead.

Several SEVERE claims have to be verified. Let's apply some basic aeronautical principles.

Plane_rear_w_crew.jpg

Look at it. There is no I repeat NO 2-d three axis control at all. That thing never flew the way Whitehead claimed. Where is the vertical stabilization? Where is the banking control? Glenn Curtiss and Orville Wright beat that one. Ailerons and wing-warping. Where are the cable runs for those controls?

I agree. Ultimately it is the person who publicizes and exploits the invention that reaps the glory and rewards.

But there are plenty of examples of inventions and theories that have been developed multiple times before reaching public acceptance. Teh Telephone leaps to mind immediately. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention_of_the_telephone . How about good old Gutenberg and his mo... oh wait https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movable_type . You get the idea.
Hell, I still hear people saying that Edison invented the light bulb.

Was he a storyteller?
Yes.

Were all the witnesses also storytellers?
You mean Andrew Cellie and James Dickie? Dickie vehemently and consistently denied the truth of the newspaper account, that he's ever witnessed Whitehead fly or that he'd even met the other alleged witness, Cellie. Of whom, BTW, there's no record of having even lived in, or being in, Bridgeport.
Junius Harworth and Anton Pruckner were the other two alleged witnessed, both of who were employed by Whitehead. Pruckner later recanted and admitted he's merely been told about the supposed flight in 1901.

Were the newspapers and Scientific American articles all wrong?
There was one newspaper story (in the Bridgeport Herald), without byline. It was merely duplicated by others.

Was the witness Anton Pruckner, who worked with him and whose home I visited and observed him giving testimony totally deluded? Really?
Yep.

Any model builders confident they could build some test examples from that photo?

https://web.archive.org/web/20120324181648/http://www.machine-history.com/Gustave Whitehead Flying Machine

Several SEVERE claims have to be verified. Let's apply some basic aeronautical principles.

Plane_rear_w_crew.jpg

Look at it. There is no I repeat NO 2-d three axis control at all. That thing never flew the way Whitehead claimed. Where is the vertical stabilization? Where is the banking control? Glenn Curtiss and Orville Wright beat that one. Ailerons and wing-warping. Where are the cable runs for those controls?

Any model builders confident they could build some test examples from that photo?

This would be a great idea for a Mythbusters!
1) Models
2) Full-sized replica with period materials
3) Full-sized replica with modern materials just for laughs
4) BLOW EVERYTHING UP (you've seen Mythbusters, you know how this works).

McPherson

Banned

That contraption is from 1901-1902.

Let me show you what Whitehead supposedly does in 1903.

Whitehead_in_his_Glider_1.jpg

He's (scoff) flying. There is considerable contention about other photos that purport to show Whitehead aloft. Note what is present on that purported GLIDER? Tail control. Wrong and certainly not independent separated stable 2 axis, but there is a hint of something. Exceptionally fishy... something.

Now as to the Whitehead Type 21 Flyer.

karlstromno21-3.jpg

I should point out that according to my understanding of the parasol contraption, the wings folded up like Japanese fans or bat's wings which does not bode well for bridge-loading the wing structures with live loads in the air as there is no adequate underbracing at all for the purported lift forces. None. I also have heartburn about the airscrew geometry seen in the actual photo of the contraption we have.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Ban
My thought is that the Wrights were provoking the Germans and the Russians into thinking that with the airplanes they could vanquish their enemies. Gustave Whitehead said later that he'd never have invented the airplane (sic) if he'd known what it would be used for. He was a very staunch pacifist and religious man. I don't think Curtiss was a war monger either. Both of them less greedy than the Wrights - or not greedy at all, as it seems from studying them.

What is poorly understood (unless someone has read my book, apparently) is that Whitehead was a prolific inventor. The goal of the era was to fly and be able to make it into a commercial venture such that people and loads could be transported. This is what the public wanted, and what Whitehead also wished. He considered the flights of the No. 21 successful as a step, but experimented with placing motors on other common glider designs, as well. First he'd build the glider and experiment with it, then build the powered version and experiment with that. He had a series of short-lived sponsors or wanna-be sponsors, who wanted to make a fast buck off him, or even steal his ideas. The Wrights are named amongst these. Those who don't understand his history and methods think Whitehead was a linear inventor like the Wrights, who never really developed their invention fully, as it failed to perform safely for years, and then became obsolete as the secret of flying was "out" by 1908/1909 and they were left in the dust, to try to profit on all world aviation in the courtroom. Whitehead should get credit for his successes, which were the first of their type, and for the elements of design still used today. He did not need to solve all the problems of commercial flight in order to gain recognition. He'd have that recognition, it is my assertion, and that of many others, if it were not for the Smithsonian-Wright Agreement of 1948 (aka "The Contract"). Due to that, Smithsonian continually asserts he never left the ground, which is preposterous, considering all the local news articles (and world articles), witnesses, and the replicas, designed by engineers with help from photos and the record of earlier advisement from Whitehead's engineer, Anton Pruckner. Here is the German replica which eventually flew to an elevation of 50 feet and for 1/2 mile, just as Whitehead did with the same No. 21. Orville claimed (with no reason save being upset about the claim as it interfered with his grandiose ideas of being credited with first flight for all time) that the design of the No. 21 plane was enough to convince anyone it could not fly. Both replicas were built as closely to Whitehead's plane as possible, and both flew easily. Even using materials from the same companies, when available.

Last edited:
Notice the use of wheels, a cockpit with controls, wings, rudder, fuselage and much more. The following are listed as GW's main accomplishments and firsts (GW = Whitehead):

WHITEHEAD’S MAIN ACCOMPLISHMENTS
“First-in-Flight”: first manned, powered and controlled flight in a “heavier-than-air craft” in the world, with his August 14, 1901 No. 21 “Condor” aeroplane [iv]
Developed first successful flying boat, the precursor to hydroaeroplane and hydroplane
World record for speed, duration, and altitude (1901-1902)
Development of forms of wing warping, use of a rudder, and three-axis control before the Wright patent was taken out
Developed and flew first successful aerocar
Developed and flew first successful aeroplane that used wheels
Developed and flew first successful aeroplane that used opposing propellers in front (later referred to as tractors)
Developed gyroscope to stabilize precursor to autopilot mechanism
Developed one of the earliest helicopters
Provided a vision and example to others that flight was possible
Developed multiple aircraft, with early successful design that demonstrated flight possible
Designed and built at least 200 lightweight engines, some of which powered aircraft that flew successfully
Sharing his findings with contemporary inventors in person, during press conferences, in trade journals through letters, and in press interviews
THE “FIRSTS”
Whitehead accomplishments that may be considered ” firsts*”:
First known manned, powered and controlled flight in a “heavier-than-air craft”, worldwide in an aircraft he designed and built
First to fly in a complete circle
First successful “aeronaut”
First to fly at night with powered aircraft
First use of wing-warping in successfully flown aircraft
First to design and fly a roadable “aero-car-boat” aircraft
First powered successful seaplane
First rubber-tired wheels used on successful airplane
First to design and build first lightweight engine for successful powered flight
First to master launching plane using speed of wheels and lift of propellers
First to design and build first powerful, lightweight gasoline engines for powered flight (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, & 8 cylinder engines)
First to sell powerful, lightweight gasoline engines for powered flight to others
First air-cooled engine in powered flight
First airplane propelled on ground by engine
First airplane with folding wings
First use of aluminum propellers
First to design individually controllable propellers
First to design two-place aircraft
First to experiment with aircraft in Pennsylvania and Connecticut
First to publicly advertise multiple passenger aircraft
First to build a concrete runway for aircraft in USA
First to design and use a concrete-laying machine in Connecticut
*Biographer and researcher Stella Randolph notes that most of these firsts were accomplished prior to December 17, 1903, in her book “Before the Wrights Flew”.

Gustave Whitehead first to fly, inventor of the powered airplane, shared his discoveries immediately with the world, paving the way for all others working on the development of a practical airplane.
http://gustavewhitehead.info/gustave-whitehead-first-to-fly/

My thought is that the Wrights were provoking the Germans and the Russians into thinking that with the airplanes they could vanquish their enemies. Gustave Whitehead said later that he'd never have invented the airplane (sic) if he'd known what it would be used for. He was a very staunch pacifist and religious man. I don't think Curtiss was a war monger either. Both of them less greedy than the Wrights - or not greedy at all, as it seems from studying them.
This is utter nonsense. In 1914, aircraft were used in a limited scouting role, and that was it. Furthermore, Germany (and every other nation as well) was convinced the war would be over in a matter of months, if not weeks.
Therefore, the claim that the German government ever considered the role airplanes could even play in the coming conflict, let alone was convinced they would use them to vanquish their enemies, is ridiculous, and shows your knowledge of the First World War is severely lacking.

Last edited:

SsgtC

Banned
That's not how it worked. Not even remotely. When WWI kicked off, aircraft were used almost exclusively for reconnaissance, not combat. That alone pretty much kills your theory right there.

Edit: Even then, aircraft were only put into use after the various armies found out that cavalry was no longer useful for reconnaissance.

Actually, as early as 1911-12, newspapers and journals were carrying extensive articles about how aeroplanes could be used in warfare, to drop bombs, etc. The Wrights were really working on the European nations to get them to adopt planes for warfare and not just scouting. In WWI they were used for fighting in the air, too, thus we have the history of the Red Baron (von Richthofen).

nbcman

Donor
During your exhaustive research, did you manage to discover that there were more than three American groups in the world that were working on airplane development? And that some of those people lived in Europe? And that those people managed to create working airplanes that were used in WW1? A no Wright Brothers world or, to indulge your fixation, a no Whitehead world would still include airplanes in WW1.

EDIT: The Wright Brothers didn't go to Europe until May 1908. Gabriel Voison's plane flew a 1km closed track in Feb 1908. Louis Bleriot was flying monoplanes in 1907. The list goes on and on of European inventors that were working independently of American developers.

Last edited:
You obviously have an axe to grind with the Wright Brothers. Even then, the idea that they caused WWI by inciting the Germans to use Wright aircraft to overwhelm their enemies in combat is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read, and I must at least commend you on originality and sheer batshit insanity. Any conspiracy theorist worth his or her salt would certainly never let facts get in the way of the lunacy they're peddling, but even then, the ignorance your 'theory' (and I use the word theory in its broadest possible definition) demands is astounding, and if this is the manner in which you conduct your research, you are certainly not enticing me to read your book anytime soon.

Actually, as early as 1911-12, newspapers and journals were carrying extensive articles about how aeroplanes could be used in warfare, to drop bombs, etc. The Wrights were really working on the European nations to get them to adopt planes for warfare and not just scouting. In WWI they were used for fighting in the air, too, thus we have the history of the Red Baron (von Richthofen).
...you do realize that at the beginning of WWI pilots shot at each other with pistols right? There weren’t even guns ON the planes yet.

SsgtC

Banned
And in that same time frame, most nations believed that the use of aircraft in warfare was illegal. They believed that using aircraft would violate Article 69 of the Der Hauge Reglement. The bought and paid for opinion of a newspaper editor really doesn't matter.

Bizzy Chris

Banned
Ban
I have read the book on Whitehead and found overwhelming evidence that he flew before the Wrights. Had he not been an immigrant and poor, he would have gotten the credit for his work. Whitehead being German would not have realized the importance of patents until too late which appears to be the case. From a typical German perspective, if there wasn't an invention that had immediate practical applications it would not have been important to protect the work. That being said, many people saw Whitehead fly. If the reports were in error, the papers would have been taken to task and they were not. The Wrights understood the US system and took advantage of a poor immigrant. It is sad that a wonderful immigrant wasn't given the credit he deserved.