Return of Horrible Educational Maps

Found this on reddit:

mightbebadeduc.jpg

It does have some peculiarities.

Found this on reddit:

View attachment 399664

It does have some peculiarities.
I think they copied a racist 19th century map and tacked 2009 borders on it (thus why Finnics and Slavs are grouped together), but even so there are some weird mistakes that can't be accounted for by that.

Like how Siberia, North Africa, and the Middle East are populated by aliens or something.

China has a thing about Taiwan. Last time i checked it is a special administrative region or something
If you're going to parrot the PRC's line on how the ROC's zone is a "rogue province" (or whatever shit they say nowadays) why would you show Aksai Chin on that map as being part of some limbo zone or something? Are they just lazy?

I think they copied a racist 19th century map and tacked 2009 borders on it (thus why Finnics and Slavs are grouped together), but even so there are some weird mistakes that can't be accounted for by that.

Like how Siberia, North Africa, and the Middle East are populated by aliens or something.

As you can see from the bottom right, that's from the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I have a copy of that version on my computer. It only shows Europe, which is why the rest is in grey.

And I think the cultures are just arranged by region.

As you can see from the bottom right, that's from the Encyclopaedia Britannica. I have a copy of that version on my computer. It only shows Europe, which is why the rest is in grey.

And I think the cultures are just arranged by region.
Maybe so. I am wondering why the eastern border of the German culture area follows the exact line of the pre-WW2 divide between German and Slavic speakers. Also Central Asia is colored, despite not being part of Europe.

Maybe so. I am wondering why the eastern border of the German culture area follows the exact line of the pre-WW2 divide between German and Slavic speakers. Also Central Asia is colored, despite not being part of Europe.
Maybe because said divide was done deliberately to try and follow the German/Slavic split in the region?

If you're going to parrot the PRC's line on how the ROC's zone is a "rogue province" (or whatever shit they say nowadays) why would you show Aksai Chin on that map as being part of some limbo zone or something? Are they just lazy?
Im not defending China im just saying that Officially china likes to say they still have Taiwan. I dont know much about Aksai Chin. Im assuming its not as big an issue geopolitically though I dont know.

Also while in the west they make a fine enough distinction to have a Pyrenean culture and a Mediterrano-Alpine culture between Spain, France and Italy, when in comparison the Balkans are just the Balkan culture area, with the exceptions of West-Ugric/Hungary and some extra-European origin blobs (just calling them turks would have been faster but noo...)

I mean Catalonia is different enough from the rest of Spain to count as part of a different culture area, but Romanians, Slowenes, Greeks etc. (many with different language families to boot) are oddly enough just one gigantic culture area? Oh come on...

Last edited:
It all depends on the definition of the cultural aspects. That can be more than language. Maybe there was more emphasis on other aspects like landscaping, buildings, religious customs etc.

Maybe there was more emphasis on other aspects like landscaping, buildings, religious customs etc.

Technically given that according to that map the German culture still persists in Poland and the Sudeten area it can be only buildings and maybe some landscaping. Or maybe we Germans have some very subtle germanisation Plot. Or the map makers were rather sloppy (which is what I believe is the main reason for such a map).

Last edited:
Europe1914.gif

Found this while searching for a map of WWI. Please avert your eyes from the Russo-German border, I do not want to be held accountable for giving you a seizure.
Let's see, there's the fact that Algeria and Tunisia are independent, and that the borders are non-existent on the western half, we have the British-French-Albanian-Portuguese-Moroccan-Tunisian-Cretan empire, with Italy, the Spanish-Dutch Empire and the Montenegrin-Algerian Empire as client states. And there's a few others, but I don't want to waste time.

Let's see, there's the fact that Algeria and Tunisia are independent, and that the borders are non-existent on the western half, we have the British-French-Albanian-Portuguese-Moroccan-Tunisian-Cretan empire, with Italy, the Spanish-Dutch Empire and the Montenegrin-Algerian Empire as client states. And there's a few others, but I don't want to waste time.

Not to mention the Bulgar-Turkish State.