Twilight of the Red Tsar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that in TTL, Qutbism will not be flavoured with Saudi Wahhabism although I imagine that it will maintain much of its iconoclasm.

Due to the earlier rise of Political Islam, I wonder if Ayatollah Khomeini will be put on the CIA's radar. Nasser in TTL will be viewed in the same light as OTL Mossadeqh (a moderate secular reformer who was brought down by the West under the fear that he was another Jan Masaryk only have the successor regime overthrown by political islamists).
Khomeini being on the radar is certainly possible in the future, but as of now the West doesn't particularly care about what's happening in Egypt (or really understand it). As for Nasser he's definintely going to get much better press because of the Islamists than he would have otherwise (Nasser defenders can argue that he would have stopped Qutb).

Now, I'm relying on a page from Google Books as the best source I can get for this, but it appears that quite a few members of the Muslim Brotherhood ended up playing a major role in the education system in Saudi Arabia - I'd imagine most wouldn't leave/would return in this situation, which would influence Saudi. Saudi were looking for conservative teachers though, and it isn't going to end up as some beacon of modernity, but there will be changes.

Foreigners are not allowed into the territory of the Yellow Banners; however, the following leaked footage depicting citizens adulating the Tianshi Emperor was able to be successfully smuggled out of the region:

For all that it's worth, I think I'll be basing my depiction of an Imperial invasion of a secessionist world in my Warhammer 40k fanfic off Stalin's invasion of China in TTL (though done by a Not British Empire rather than Not Soviets).

So will it be an agri world being invaded?

To make things worse Sayyid Qutb IOTL was the intellectual godfather of al-Qaeda and ISIS. His ideas on takfir and Islamic vanguardism were particularly influential, although TTL is not at the point where he formulated them (which was in the mid-1960s). Also he has the most evil mustache in history:
View attachment 287151

If the man who became the forefather of Islamic Fundamentalism the leader of Egypt before they came to fruit, it would make sense to believe that his ideas will change from OTL because of it. We even got hints of it in the latest update where he creates a compromise with the moderate islamist, so he will throw some Realpolitik into his works by stressing the need to keep political unity.

Now, I'm relying on a page from Google Books as the best source I can get for this, but it appears that quite a few members of the Muslim Brotherhood ended up playing a major role in the education system in Saudi Arabia - I'd imagine most wouldn't leave/would return in this situation, which would influence Saudi. Saudi were looking for conservative teachers though, and it isn't going to end up as some beacon of modernity, but there will be changes.

If this is the case then there could be a chance of an alliance between Saudi Arabia and the Islamic Brotherhoods of other middle eastern nations. Certainly plays into the idea of Saudi Kings becoming more ambitious in foreign policy.

If this is the case then there could be a chance of an alliance between Saudi Arabia and the Islamic Brotherhoods of other middle eastern nations. Certainly plays into the idea of Saudi Kings becoming more ambitious in foreign policy.
Probably not. Qutb was fairly anti-king (actually he was against all forms of authority). More importantly, Qutb believed that the whole world, save for a small vanguard, was in a state of ignorance, and thus not actually Muslims. Unless the Saudis are willing to seriously change their lifestyle and ideology they would probably be the most anti-Qutb area in the Mideast.

Probably not. Qutb was fairly anti-king (actually he was against all forms of authority). More importantly, Qutb believed that the whole world, save for a small vanguard, was in a state of ignorance, and thus not actually Muslims. Unless the Saudis are willing to seriously change their lifestyle and ideology they would probably be the most anti-Qutb area in the Mideast.

Although would he support Arab unification if the other Arab nations became Islamic Rebublics?

Maybe he'll ride pan-Arabic wind and "Islamize" it? That is, if pan-Arabism didn't die with Nasser

Is there major pan Islamist (Sunni islamist) movement outside Egypt in 1959? AFAIK it's only Pakistan with Jemaat al Islami

Oh this will bode well for the future, very well...surely he will not try to export his ideology in other nation, no sir, absolutely not.
Well an earlier birth of islamic foundamentalism (or militant taoism for something exclusive of ITTL) can be, for lack of better term, a 'good thing' (relatively speaking) as the possibillity and the occasion for worldwide terrorism ar less than our current time, plus there will be more division on the arab world regarding the extreme of Qutb and his followers as this was a general moment of modernization in all sense (social, economic, technological) and many can be opposed at going back to 'less enlighted' time.

BTW, in the SOviet Union the hardliner are in power, in China there are the militant Taoist that once rebuilt will go back to expansion and will probably use the big chinese diaspora, uberislamic foundamentalist in the middle east, we just need an Inca revival in south america or a Sendero Luminoso ante litteram, a Shaka Zulu wanna-be in South Africa and a Bokassa on steroid in the rest of the continent and we have the full deck

Oh this will bode well for the future, very well...surely he will not try to export his ideology in other nation, no sir, absolutely not.
Well an earlier birth of islamic foundamentalism (or militant taoism for something exclusive of ITTL) can be, for lack of better term, a 'good thing' (relatively speaking) as the possibillity and the occasion for worldwide terrorism ar less than our current time, plus there will be more division on the arab world regarding the extreme of Qutb and his followers as this was a general moment of modernization in all sense (social, economic, technological) and many can be opposed at going back to 'less enlighted' time.

BTW, in the SOviet Union the hardliner are in power, in China there are the militant Taoist that once rebuilt will go back to expansion and will probably use the big chinese diaspora, uberislamic foundamentalist in the middle east, we just need an Inca revival in south america or a Sendero Luminoso ante litteram, a Shaka Zulu wanna-be in South Africa and a Bokassa on steroid in the rest of the continent and we have the full deck

Your forgetting a Neo- Aztec state in Mexico, Nordic nations having new Vikings issues, the return of the Greco-Roman religion, and a few other things.

I imagine a trailer of a movie based on the life of this timeline Stalin would be....

Black screen
Stalin (from the late 30s) appears, he's being cheered by hundreds of thousands of the people in the Red Square
He looks to the right, there is Nikolai Yezhov, he says: "Nikolai, how is the situation on Poland?"
Nikolai looks at him and replies: "Stalin?" Then the camera changes to Stalin's face, he's old now, then it shows him in a wheelchair inside the Kremlin with Malenkov looking at him, he replies "What happened?"
Then it cut to many shots showing the streets of Moscow, while a text appears on the bottom top, it is written "Moscova, 1954", you can see soldiers marching, uniformized children playing, a soviet policemen giving candy to a young girl
Then the camera goes inside a alley, where you can see a middle aged men running, until he run into a dead end, he looks behind, you can see the shadow of someone with a greatcoat and a battom, then the screen fade to black while you can listen the men saying "noooo"
Then proceed to many exposition shots, showing Nikita Kruschev saying "He's alive", after that it seems somone being shot, the camera then shows the head of the men on the ground and it is Beria, it also shows scenes of many jews being arrested, in the last shot it shows the soviet army attacking chinese positions
Then it proceeds to show Stalin in a room, he says to his magnates " We got another Tito", as he says that it shows Mao Tse Tung for a brief moment, then it cuts to scenes of red army soldiers mobilizing, and tankmen entering in theirs T34-85s and T54s
The next shot shows the huge complex of Gulags with massive infighting, a jewish guy is pushed on the wall, the camera cuts to the guy who pushed him and he's a blonde guy with a SS tatoo on his army
The next shot shows many scenes of the "populational exanges" inside the soviet union, with the red army removing people from their homes and putting them inside trains, while many of them curse Stalin as they are forced into
The trailer then proceeds to show dozens of shots of scenes of Stalin, in different places, in different times (from 1939 to 1957), and in different mental and health conditions, then it fades to black

After that you can see Stalin on a hospital bed, he looks dead, but then he blinks and say to the nurse "Call Bulganin", it cuts to Bulganin entering the room and Stalin says "I will die, but makes sure that Mao will be dead before me", as he slowy talks it cuts to many shots of the chinese war, missiles being launched, a yellow banner, Mao Tse Tung, and finally a scene of beijing, with a lot of people running in screaming, then a men looks outside the window and screams as the sound of a bomb blast gets louder and closer
Then the screens turn to black and the title appears:

Stalin
The Red Tsar
Starring Eugene Dynarski
Fall 2001

Last edited:
Well and for the teaser of the sequel aka the post-Stalin death

Panoramic of Moscow and slowly the camera zoom over the mages of an an ocean of people all around the city, all around banner with the image of Stalin and communist symbol; the people are in sorrow while the casket with Stalin body reach it's final destination.
Cut to the Taoist Emperor adressing his people in full regalia, followed by a scene of Qubt ordering the destruction of the Pyramid...all fade in black and the finally the narrator speak:
Evil? Evil never die...it just evolve

I imagine a trailer of a movie based on the life of this timeline Stalin would be....

Black screen
Stalin (from the late 30s) appears, he's being cheered by hundreds of thousands of the people in the Red Square
He looks to the right, there is Nikolai Yezhov, he says: "Nikolai, how is the situation on Poland?"
Nikolai looks at him and replies: "Stalin?" Then the camera changes to Stalin's face, he's old now, then it shows him in a wheelchair inside the Kremlin with Malenkov looking at him, he replies "What happened?"
Then it cut to many shots showing the streets of Moscow, while a text appears on the bottom top, it is written "Moscova, 1954", you can see soldiers marching, uniformized children playing, a soviet policemen giving candy to a young girl
Then the camera goes inside a alley, where you can see a middle aged men running, until he run into a dead end, he looks behind, you can see the shadow of someone with a greatcoat and a battom, then the screen fade to black while you can listen the men saying "noooo"
Then proceed to many exposition shots, showing Nikita Kruschev saying "He's alive", after that it seems somone being shot, the camera then shows the head of the men on the ground and it is Beria, it also shows scenes of many jews being arrested, in the last shot it shows the soviet army attacking chinese positions
Then it proceeds to show Stalin in a room, he says to his magnates " We got another Tito", as he says that it shows Mao Tse Tung for a brief moment, then it cuts to scenes of red army soldiers mobilizing, and tankmen entering in theirs T34-85s and T54s
The next shot shows the huge complex of Gulags with massive infighting, a jewish guy is pushed on the wall, the camera cuts to the guy who pushed him and he's a blonde guy with a SS tatoo on his army
The next shot shows many scenes of the "populational exanges" inside the soviet union, with the red army removing people from their homes and putting them inside trains, while many of them curse Stalin as they are forced into
The trailer then proceeds to show dozens of shots of scenes of Stalin, in different places, in different times (from 1939 to 1957), and in different mental and health conditions, then it fades to black

After that you can see Stalin on a hospital bed, he looks dead, but then he blinks and say to the nurse "Call Bulganin", it cuts to Bulganin entering the room and Stalin says "I will die, but makes sure that Mao will be dead before me", as he slowy talks it cuts to many shots of the chinese war, missiles being launched, a yellow banner, Mao Tse Tung, and finally a scene of beijing, with a lot of people running in screaming, then a men looks outside the window and screams as the sound of a bomb blast gets louder and closer
Then the screens turn to black and the title appears:

Stalin
The Red Tsar
Starring Eugene Dynarski
Fall 2001

If done with a competent directory, writer and cast. It would make for an excellent short film.

Status
Not open for further replies.