TLIAPOT

Two possible retcons...

Personally, I like the way you have things already (particularly Harriman in 1948), but if you do feel the need to change it then I think Murray in 1952 would be a pretty interesting choice, especially since he's a rarely used figure and his age, and his associated health problems, could put Pepper (or whoever his Vice President is) into the Oval Office relatively quickly.

So, I'm back with my new home Wi Fi In place, so...

So how many Nazis are still around?

How is Israel and the Arab nations? How does Israel see what happened to Germany?

How are things in the French, Dutch and Danish areas of old Germany? The Free City States?

How is Korea?

Are Jews in the US fleeing, or something like it?

Did many Germans flee to South America?

Anything to lay down a space race, or anything for space?

Probably a lot.

Israel has drifted into the Soviet camp.

The DPRK controls all of Korea.

But how is Korea with the DPRK in control with it all?

Same for the Middle East and Iran. Some of It reminds me of "A World of Laughs/ Tears", when President Disney sided with Egypt and Israel turn Red.

Something like this then? [1]

1BknOYs.png

[1] I did not create this map

I was thinking more like this
2000px-Map-Prussia-UpperSilesia.svg.png

It allow Poland to create the massive Silesian Metropolis/greater Krakow industrial area. (something like 1/7 of Poland population live there today). While East Germany keep control over Waldenburg (Walbrzych), which would the East German main source of coal (in East Germany there was almost only lignite, which is a less valuable fuel than real coal).

poland_land_1977.jpg

A few general thought about the world outside Europe in the short and long run.

I honestly have a hard time seeing the Democrats being able to win any state in the Midwest outside Chicago after this World War. There are million of German Americans who have seen their relatives in Europe being starved to dead by a Democratic president. In fact I see a large scale revival of the German American identity. Historical that identity have been something of hidden ethnic identity, but here they have seen theattack on their identity under the Great War and now the American government seem to have tried almost eradicate their relatives in Europe. I think German identity will be on the rise and it will be very much be in opposition to the American North East plus extremely anti-Semitic. The German language will likely also see something of a revival in USA, through to much lesser extent, both with many German Americans begin to use it in the public room again, but also with German emigration increasing including to USA.

That also bring up another element. As we will see German emigration to outside Europe increasing. I think these countries become the main target of German emigrants outside Europe. (USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Argentine, Paraguay, Chile and maybe Algeria).

Of these I think the result in South Africa may have the biggest long term effect. If South Africa keep their historical growth rate and if we can expect a birth rat of around 2,3 per woman (quite realistic) among German emigrants to South Africa and a average age of the emigrant somewhere between 25-30. South Africa would only need 1,5 million German immigrants between 1945-1990 to upkeep 25% of the population being White by 1990. While 1 million would keep the White population at 20% and 2 million would increase the White population to almost 30%. These immigrants will if the integrated into existing South African culture integrate into the Afrikaans rather than the English population. This will mean a strengthning of Afrikaans versus English. Today around 1/3 of White South African speak English. Here it will fall to to 15% without the assimilation of English speakers we also will see with the weakened position of English (realistic English speakers will likely be reduced to 10% among South Afrcan Whites). At the same time people using Africans in daily life will increase to around 30% of the population (Afrikaans, Coloured and Germans), German will likely be widely spoken, but German children will go to Afrikaans speaking schools, so Afrikaans becomes their daily lingua franca. Namibia may be the exception, because of the co-official status of German in the protectorate. Here German will likely become the majority language among White settlers again.

In Rhodesia a increase of German immigrants will also be able to have large effect. At the height of White population in Rhodesia, there was 270000 White Rhodesians (5,4-7,3% of the wider population), you really don't need many Germans immigrants to completely change how and when the Black majority gain power (here it would be later). Of course Germans a large influx of German immigrants would likely also change the Rhodesian political scene. They may not necessary vote for the same politicians as Anglo-Rhodesians did.

Some thoughts about Denmark and the effect of annexing Schleswig-Holstein. In South Schleswig we will likely see few problems most of the population can likely be assimilated into a Danish identity and Danish will likely be 1st language by most in a generation, through German will be widely spoken and have minority status. North Frisians will likely gain official status in Kreis (county) Husum and Tönder (I think the imperial counties will be recreated in Schleswig, through they will likely be renamed "amts").

But in Holstein we will likely see some problems, the Danes will have little interest or ability to assimilate the population there. White Danish was widely understood and spoken north of the Eider, in Holstein it wasn't (through in 10 years it will gain a wide L2 status). That leave the problem that you have a large German population in Holstein, but it's too big to be a county, but you need some kind of unified administration. What Denmark need is a general administration reform. I think with the change in the constution in 1953 we will also see an administrative reform. Denmark gain some kind of federalism, where Holstein (Holsten), Schleswig (Sønderjylland), North Jutland (Nørrejylland), Funen (Fyn) Zealand (Sjælland), Faroe (Færøerne) and the Capital (Hovedstaden) gain their own mini parliaments, we will likely call these new units landsdele (plural) or provinces (the later may just be the English translation of Landsdel). Greenland and Bornholm likely become autonome amts under the capital region.

An interesting character in all this is Willy Brandt, Brandt lived as refugee in Norway and Sweden under nazism, after the war he worked for the Norwegian government in West Berlin before he became a politician. Here with the Americans fucking everything up, I think it's more likely that he return to his native Lübeck than stay in Berlin. Here he has a lot things going for him, he speak Norwegian (ad Swedish) which fundamental is a Danish dialect (or rather both are dialects of common Scandinavian language) and he's unconnected to Nazism. So I could see him becoming mayor of Lübeck. Later as Holstein become a province in 1953, he becomes Landsdelsformand ("governor") of Holstein. I could see him in the long run (by the mid sixties) becoming leader of the Nordic Union (we will likely not see the title president used, as there's three kingdoms in the union, so he will likely have a title of Chairman of Nordic Council).

Another interesting aspect is that I can see a lot of industry being established by Germans in Denmark, I could see Volkswagen more or less moving to Denmark (it will likely be renamed to Folkevogn), as its factories lay in Lower Saxony. In general I imagine that Netherlands and Denmark will begin to produce a lot of German heavy industrial products, including planes and tanks, simply because a lot of skilled workers will be fleeing Germany and skilled refugees will likely be first in the queue, and both countries need to develop their industry and militarise.

As for Hamburg, I think it will be a interesting city, it lies on the borders of Denmark (and the NEZ), West Germany and East Germany. It's under English control and their access to Germany, while it's the main export and import harbour of East Germany and Czechoslovakia. At the same time it's also a important port and transport hub for Denmark. I imagine that its population will rise, as a whole lot of German refugees end up in it, So I think it will have 3 million people by 1950. I could see it join NEZ by the late 50ties.

Bremen on the other hand will mostly be a shithole. It will be American protectorate and military base, which happens to be the main port for German agricultural products. The population will hate their American overlords, but they really have few places to move to.

As last I also think it likely that the free territory of Trieste to survive, with Italy going communist, I could see the British keeping it as a base. At the same time the Italians expelled from Yugoslavia and the anti-Communist refugees will likely see it as safe haven, so I think it may end up with a population of 1 million people, the majority Italians, but a significant minority of (around 25%) Slovenes and Croats.

So what's going on with the Commonwealth of Nations, are some countries sticking closer to Britain to guard against the USSR?

It allow Poland to create the massive Silesian Metropolis/greater Krakow industrial area. (something like 1/7 of Poland population live there today). While East Germany keep control over Waldenburg (Walbrzych), which would the East German main source of coal (in East Germany there was almost only lignite, which is a less valuable fuel than real coal).
Agreed.

I honestly have a hard time seeing the Democrats being able to win any state in the Midwest outside Chicago after this World War. There are million of German Americans who have seen their relatives in Europe being starved to dead by a Democratic president. In fact I see a large scale revival of the German American identity. Historical that identity have been something of hidden ethnic identity, but here they have seen theattack on their identity under the Great War and now the American government seem to have tried almost eradicate their relatives in Europe. I think German identity will be on the rise and it will be very much be in opposition to the American North East plus extremely anti-Semitic. The German language will likely also see something of a revival in USA, through to much lesser extent, both with many German Americans begin to use it in the public room again, but also with German emigration increasing including to USA.
Taft was killing the economy of the Midwest by getting rid of agricultural subsidies. That's why the states flipped to the Democrats in 1950 and 1952. Do you find this plausible? After 1952 I suspect the region will go back to the Republicans for the reasons you mentioned.

That also bring up another element. As we will see German emigration to outside Europe increasing. I think these countries become the main target of German emigrants outside Europe. (USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Rhodesia, Brazil, Argentine, Paraguay, Chile and maybe Algeria).
Agreed.

Of these I think the result in South Africa may have the biggest long term effect. If South Africa keep their historical growth rate and if we can expect a birth rat of around 2,3 per woman (quite realistic) among German emigrants to South Africa and a average age of the emigrant somewhere between 25-30. South Africa would only need 1,5 million German immigrants between 1945-1990 to upkeep 25% of the population being White by 1990. While 1 million would keep the White population at 20% and 2 million would increase the White population to almost 30%. These immigrants will if the integrated into existing South African culture integrate into the Afrikaans rather than the English population. This will mean a strengthning of Afrikaans versus English. Today around 1/3 of White South African speak English. Here it will fall to to 15% without the assimilation of English speakers we also will see with the weakened position of English (realistic English speakers will likely be reduced to 10% among South Afrcan Whites). At the same time people using Africans in daily life will increase to around 30% of the population (Afrikaans, Coloured and Germans), German will likely be widely spoken, but German children will go to Afrikaans speaking schools, so Afrikaans becomes their daily lingua franca. Namibia may be the exception, because of the co-official status of German in the protectorate. Here German will likely become the majority language among White settlers again.
Agreed. How might this impact apartheid?

In Rhodesia a increase of German immigrants will also be able to have large effect. At the height of White population in Rhodesia, there was 270000 White Rhodesians (5,4-7,3% of the wider population), you really don't need many Germans immigrants to completely change how and when the Black majority gain power (here it would be later). Of course Germans a large influx of German immigrants would likely also change the Rhodesian political scene. They may not necessary vote for the same politicians as Anglo-Rhodesians did.
Agreed. Robert Mugabe is likely butterflied.

Some thoughts about Denmark and the effect of annexing Schleswig-Holstein. In South Schleswig we will likely see few problems most of the population can likely be assimilated into a Danish identity and Danish will likely be 1st language by most in a generation, through German will be widely spoken and have minority status. North Frisians will likely gain official status in Kreis (county) Husum and Tönder (I think the imperial counties will be recreated in Schleswig, through they will likely be renamed "amts").
Agreed.

But in Holstein we will likely see some problems, the Danes will have little interest or ability to assimilate the population there. White Danish was widely understood and spoken north of the Eider, in Holstein it wasn't (through in 10 years it will gain a wide L2 status). That leave the problem that you have a large German population in Holstein, but it's too big to be a county, but you need some kind of unified administration. What Denmark need is a general administration reform. I think with the change in the constution in 1953 we will also see an administrative reform. Denmark gain some kind of federalism, where Holstein (Holsten), Schleswig (Sønderjylland), North Jutland (Nørrejylland), Funen (Fyn) Zealand (Sjælland), Faroe (Færøerne) and the Capital (Hovedstaden) gain their own mini parliaments, we will likely call these new units landsdele (plural) or provinces (the later may just be the English translation of Landsdel). Greenland and Bornholm likely become autonome amts under the capital region.
Agreed.

An interesting character in all this is Willy Brandt, Brandt lived as refugee in Norway and Sweden under nazism, after the war he worked for the Norwegian government in West Berlin before he became a politician. Here with the Americans fucking everything up, I think it's more likely that he return to his native Lübeck than stay in Berlin. Here he has a lot things going for him, he speak Norwegian (ad Swedish) which fundamental is a Danish dialect (or rather both are dialects of common Scandinavian language) and he's unconnected to Nazism. So I could see him becoming mayor of Lübeck. Later as Holstein become a province in 1953, he becomes Landsdelsformand ("governor") of Holstein. I could see him in the long run (by the mid sixties) becoming leader of the Nordic Union (we will likely not see the title president used, as there's three kingdoms in the union, so he will likely have a title of Chairman of Nordic Council).
Agreed.

Another interesting aspect is that I can see a lot of industry being established by Germans in Denmark, I could see Volkswagen more or less moving to Denmark (it will likely be renamed to Folkevogn), as its factories lay in Lower Saxony. In general I imagine that Netherlands and Denmark will begin to produce a lot of German heavy industrial products, including planes and tanks, simply because a lot of skilled workers will be fleeing Germany and skilled refugees will likely be first in the queue, and both countries need to develop their industry and militarise.
Agreed.

As for Hamburg, I think it will be a interesting city, it lies on the borders of Denmark (and the NEZ), West Germany and East Germany. It's under English control and their access to Germany, while it's the main export and import harbour of East Germany and Czechoslovakia. At the same time it's also a important port and transport hub for Denmark. I imagine that its population will rise, as a whole lot of German refugees end up in it, So I think it will have 3 million people by 1950. I could see it join NEZ by the late 50ties.
Agreed.

Bremen on the other hand will mostly be a shithole. It will be American protectorate and military base, which happens to be the main port for German agricultural products. The population will hate their American overlords, but they really have few places to move to.
Agreed.

As last I also think it likely that the free territory of Trieste to survive, with Italy going communist, I could see the British keeping it as a base. At the same time the Italians expelled from Yugoslavia and the anti-Communist refugees will likely see it as safe haven, so I think it may end up with a population of 1 million people, the majority Italians, but a significant minority of (around 25%) Slovenes and Croats.
Agreed.

Keep Harriman so he's less palatable in '52.
As for Australia i've got some suggestions for the 50s and 60s if you want them.

A small nitpick: I doubt the West German capital would be Hannover as it would be seen as too regional and north focused.
From the OTL considered capitals it would either be Frankfurt (1848 revolution capital, de jure capital of the HRE), or if the Americans fucked that city up to much Aachen(If thats still German).

As for Australia i've got some suggestions for the 50s and 60s if you want them.
Aside from continuing White Australia, I've got very little idea of where I'm taking Australia. Your input would be appreciated.

A small nitpick: I doubt the West German capital would be Hannover as it would be seen as too regional and north focused.
From the OTL considered capitals it would either be Frankfurt (1848 revolution capital, de jure capital of the HRE), or if the Americans fucked that city up to much Aachen(If thats still German).
Frankfurt it is then (it hasn't been annex by anyone last I checked).

How are things in Africa and South East Asia? I could see Cambodia and Laos with Red insurrections.

As for Australia, more German migrants.

2000px-Map-Prussia-UpperSilesia.svg.png

poland_land_1977.jpg

The revision of the Oder-Neisse line will do much to make the GDR as the legitimate Germany.