For the Want of a King TL: Prussia loses the War of Austrian Succession

That's true and the European powers will also fight some proxy wars in Africa, Asia, etc.

Oh, Ok. Thanks! :D

Really that many! :eek:
Napoleon boasted of the numbers to his enemiws, remarking "soldiers are meant to be killed." Not for nothing is it compared to the Bolsheviks....

The Napoleonic Perod really gimped France for decades to come almost like WWI did later on. It's a big part of the reason they were so unnerved by Germany half a century later- that and modena industry meant the Germans had annedfe.

And the end of the Great European War:

Part 7: The Great European War 1795-1806 Section 4: The Revolutionary Wars, a fickle Austria and the Fall of France:
“In April 1802 Europe was on a precipice, the established great powers of the continent were threatened by upstart rebels and the rewriting of the traditional rules of warfare.”
The words of the eminent British military historian Major General James Graham in his book, The Great European War 1795-1806.

The Magyar Rebellion finally ended in May 1802, with the Austrian and Hungarian Equality Declaration issued by Charles I on the 4th that created the Austro-Hungarian Empire with Austrians and Hungarians as equal partners in the ruling of the nation. This declaration pacified the Magyar rebels and restored peace to the nation. However, the Magyar Rebellion ended Austrian involvement in the Great European War. Austrian forces withdrew from Saxony, leaving the nation under total Prussian occupation, and Charles I and Louis XVI signed the Treaty of Paris on the 17th June 1802. Under the Treaty of Paris:

1. Peace was declared between Austria, Poland-Lithuania, Spain and France.
2. Liege was annexed by the Grand Duchy of Belgium.
3. The Kingdom of the Rhine and the Grand Duchy of Belgium were released from the Holy Roman Empire.
4. The Empire of the Spanish is recognised as the legitimate government of Spain and its colonies.

Charles I signed this treaty most unwillingly, but the situation he was faced with forced him to do so. The Treaty of Paris was also very unpopular with Austria’s other allies and also with the other members of the Holy Roman Empire. They felt that Charles I had not upheld their interests and, by letting Belgium and the Kingdom of the Rhine leave the Holy Roman Empire, had weakened the integrity of the Holy Roman Empire. In fact, many of the German states now felt that the Holy Roman Empire was a redundant system that no longer afforded its members protection.

Also in June 1802 the French attempted to continue the German Offensive by marching into Saxony from Coburg. This time they encountered serious Prussian resistance, as the Prussian Imperial Council (Blücher’s government) had brought in mass conscription for the first time, the French fought bravely but only advanced as far as Rudolstadt before being forced to stop by their losses. However, half (approximately) of Germany had been merged into the Kingdom of the Rhine. In Hannover, the British were clamping down on the Hanoverian rebels, besieging the city of Celle in July 1802 and capturing it 3 months later. In Mecklenburg-Schwerin, however the rebels were going from strength to strength and controlled the eastern half of the Duchy by September 1802, the rest was occupied by the Prussians the following month to ‘restore order’.

Down in Italy the fight between Venice and Sardinia continued. Venice held the upper hand and began to advance further into Sardinia in October 1802, scoring several victories over Sardinian forces. The Venetians were riding high and, led by a tactical genius and Sardinian defector named Napoleone di Buonaparte, reached Turin in January 1803. The Battle of Turin was the final showdown on between the Venetians and Sardinians on the Italian mainland. The Venetian army outflanked the Sardinian force and routed them. The Sardinians fled the field leaving Venice as masters of Turin. This was a major victory for them, but their advance stopped there. The Venetians held the northern regions of Piedmont but could get no further south than Turin (apart the areas they had already conquered).
In February 1804 the British ended their involvement in the Great European War. George III was fed up of the continuing drain on the nation’s manpower, resources and public moral that the Great European war had on Britain. Thus, he offered to sign a peace with Louis XVI. Louis XVI accepted and on the 19th February 1804 the Peace of Calais was signed. Just as the Treaty of Paris had done, the Peace of Calais angered the remaining Grand Coalition combatants, namely Prussia and the Italian states and so Blücher personally travelled to Vienna to attempt to convince Charles I to re-join the war. He offered Charles I the Blücher Plan for Europe in the event of Austro-Prussian victory. Under the Blücher Plan:

1. The states of Germany would be reconfigured for maximum benefit to the Austro-Hungarian and Prussian benefit.
2. Charles I and Blücher would sign the Treaty of Berlin-Vienna that would re-form a Austro-Prussian alliance.

Charles I accepted Blücher’s offer if, and only if, Blücher allowed Frederick William, son of the murdered Frederick William II, to become king of Prussia once he became of age. Blücher, desperate for allies against the French accepted and would serve as Regent of Prussia until Frederick William’s 18th birthday. Blücher and Charles I subsequently signed the Treaty of Berlin-Vienna, on the 4th March 1804, confirming the Austro-Prussian alliance and containing assurance that Blücher would step down as ruler of Prussia upon Frederick William’s 18th birthday.

350px-Signing_of_Treaty_of_Ghent_(1812).jpg

Charles I and Gebhard Blücher and their generals at the signing of the Treaty of Berlin-Vienna

Immediately following the signing of the Treaty of Berlin-Vienna, Austria’s armies re-entered the Great European War against France, with the invasion of the Kingdom of the Rhine.
The return of Austria to fray, after a 7 month absence, changed the course of the war but just because of the added numbers they brought. The renewed Austrian involvement finally forced the French introduce mass conscription, just as the Prussians had done, and this was the last straw for the French people and in April 1804 riots broke out in Paris, Toulouse, Lyon and other major cities. People thronged the streets protesting against the war and the king, chanting “À bas le roi!” (Down with the King!) and “Arrêtez l'abattage!” (Stop the slaughter!). This continued for several months as the Austrian and Prussian advanced into the Kingdom of the Rhine, with many Germans flocking to the Austrian and Prussian banners as they marched. By September 1804 things were at breaking point in France, soldiers were deserting the army in droves, protestors demonstrated day and night in all the major cities of France and even the King’s inner circle feared that they were watching the greatest collapse of a nation seen in living memory.

Their fears were justified, Austria’s return had unmasked the frailty of France’s hold over the Kingdom of the Rhine and it was now clear that this ambitious, and revolutionary, tactic had back fired. France had overstretched itself and now its empire was crumbling. The Austrians and the Prussians raced through Rhineland, scarcely having to stop and fight as German conscripts deserted the French armies en masse. By April 1805 the Austrians, under General Joseph von Klenau had reached the French border, whilst the Prussians, under Blücher himself were marching on Belgium. The Dutch, meanwhile, also returned to the fight (whilst they never signed a peace treaty the Dutch and French had come to a standstill) invading Belgium from the north. Brussels, and Belgium, fell at the start of June 1805 to a combined Dutch and Prussian attack. The Austrians, meanwhile, had reached Nancy, having captured Strasbourg, Andlau and Metz. The Venetians too were invading France, this time in the south. On top of that, a rebellion had begun in Occitania. This rebellion, almost certainly backed by the Spanish, had begun in Toulouse in May 1805, before spreading out like wildfire. They captured Albi and Castras in June, Auch, Foish and Carcassone the July and Narbonne the following month. France was literally collapsing.

“The fall of France was inevitable, they had tried to grab too much, too fast”
The words of the Austrian historian Franz von Essen in the book The Fall of France in 1804-1806: How and Why?

The French stubbornly fought on, evening the winning the Battles of Reims, Lyons and Senlis, but its collapse was unstoppable. Marshall Davout and a band of generals launched a coup to overthrow Louis XVI in September 1805 and stormed the Versailles Palace on the 15th September at midnight. They caught the king ‘unawares’ and Davout executed him on the spot. The following morning, the Republic of France was proclaimed by Davout and his allies. This new republic seized control of much of area surrounding France over the next month. All the while, however, the Austrians and their allies marched ever further into France. The Occitanian rebels also continued to get more and more powerful. Despite all this the death of France was long and painful. Each city that was taken cost more and more men each time and towns and villages descended into bloody fighting amongst themselves. As the months went by the situation in France only got worse, by February all of France was, either, under foreign occupation or controlled by the Occitanians or Davout’s Republic of France. In late February, Charles I sent envoys to all the major European powers and the French rebels offering to hold a congress in Vienna to sort out what to do with Europe now the war was all but over. Davout was, at first, reluctant as he had hoped to forcefully re-unite France, but he eventually realised that he had no hope of doing so against Austria, Holland, Prussia, Venice and the Occitanian rebels.

vienna_1.png

The Congress of Vienna

Then, on 1st March 1806, the powers of Europe, and the French rebels, met in Vienna to iron out a new map of Europe. The negotiations were long and rowdy, with Davout and Blücher clashing spectacularly in the over the table, eventually forcing Charles I to act as a go-between for them. The Venetian representative, the hero of the capture of Turin Napoleone di Buonaparte, was also particularly forthcoming as he demanded huge tracts of Sardinian land to be cede to Venice. Charles I had other ambitions he aimed to create a Europe where there would never again be the need for such bloodshed as had been seen over the last 11 years. Unsurprisingly, however, he blamed France for the war and thus swore to permanently incapacitate the French nation.Blücher, who had always hated the French and was furious with Davout, also supported Charles I’s plan, as did many of the German representatives who had been under France’s thumb in the Kingdom of the Rhine. Thus the Treaty of Vienna was signed on the 3rd April 1806. Under this Treaty:

1. France partitioned into the Republic of France, under Davout as Prime Minister, and the Republic of Occitania with the rebel leader, Pau Soler, as Prime Minister.
2. The Grand Duchy of Belgium lost its western half to the Netherlands and was incorporated into the new Kingdom of the Rhine. (see below)
3. All Sardinian land north of the River Po ceded to Venice, which was renamed North Italy.
4. The Holy Roman Empire was dissolved. This was included as, during the war, it had demonstrated that it had little or no power over its members any more.
5. The Kingdom of the Rhine was partitioned into five areas:
- The Kingdom of the Rhine, an area in the west that followed the Rhine River. Its purpose was to provide a powerful barrier to any future French expansion.
-The Grand Duchy of Wurttemburg, another nation created solely for the purpose of blocking the French in the future.
-The Grand Duchy of Saxony-Wurzburg, this Grand Duchy was assigned to the Elector of Saxony, whose nation would be annexed by Prussia.
-All land east of the Danube was added to the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
-The coastal regions were added to Hannover.
6. Prussia annexes Saxony and half of the Duchy of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
7. Some border changes between Austria and Venice.
8. Areas of Crimea west of the Dneipr ceded to Poland by the Ottomans.

Following the Treaty of Vienna all of the German states, at least in theory, were capable of defending themselves against foreign invasion. This was a significant change. However, the most significant change in the political landscape of Europe was the crippling of France, Britain had objected, fearing a Habsburg Hegemony of Europe (what with their re-gaining of the Spanish crown), but they had been overruled by the German states. This greatly angered the British and ended their alliance with Austria.

The World at the end of the Great European War:

FWK map end of GEW.png

Last edited:
Napoleon boasted of the numbers to his enemiws, remarking "soldiers are meant to be killed." Not for nothing is it compared to the Bolsheviks....

The Napoleonic Perod really gimped France for decades to come almost like WWI did later on. It's a big part of the reason they were so unnerved by Germany half a century later- that and modena industry meant the Germans had annedfe.
Very interesting.

And as you'll read the GEW has nerfed France ITTL, probably, even worse than the Napoleonic Period did IOTL.

It doesn't look like Venice gained anything in the map. Turin, the capital, is occupied and their french master is partitioned... I think Venice would just eat all of them, and the Austrians would cede Sicily or something to the king if necessary. That would firmly established the Habsburgs as the patron of Italy and reflect the Venetians successes. As it stands leaving a hostile and WEAK former French puppet in charge, after havint fought wars against them twice, seels overly generous.

It doesn't look like Venice gained anything in the map. Turin, the capital, is occupied and their french master is partitioned... I think Venice would just eat all of them, and the Austrians would cede Sicily or something to the king if necessary. That would firmly established the Habsburgs as the patron of Italy and reflect the Venetians successes. As it stands leaving a hostile and WEAK former French puppet in charge, after havint fought wars against them twice, seels overly generous.
Venice gained a load of the Sardinian coast, making them span the Italian peninsula for the first time ever. I think having them annex Sardinia would be extreme. Anyone else have views on this?

Also what do people think of the treaty?

Venice gained a load of the Sardinian coast, making them span the Italian peninsula for the first time ever. I think having them annex Sardinia would be extreme. Anyone else have views on this?

Compared to balkanizing France? Hardly. Sardinia is a second rate power without a patron and on the losing side of the alliances and the battles, look at what happened to say saxony or others. And again, possession is nine-tenths of the law. Bonaparte is sitting pretty in Turin after spanking their armies and that means he can pretty much make a shopping list of their lands and no one important will complain.

At the least I think they would take a bit more of piedmont and Liguria- ie Turin and Genoa, if the latter wasn't annexed already, maybe Corsica as well for Bonapartesale sake, and reduce Savoy to its historical Duchy plus maybe Sardinia (for the Kingship title) or else just dissolve their crown and make them a grand duke of Savoy. If it's good enough for Austria (prior to the emperorship) it's good enough for them. One could also give wither of the islands to Spain if you wanted, Sardinia was part of Spain for a while.

Though I would also like to hear what others think.

Compared to balkanizing France? Hardly. Sardinia is a second rate power without a patron and on the losing side of the alliances and the battles, look at what happened to say saxony or others. And again, possession is nine-tenths of the law. Bonaparte is sitting pretty in Turin after spanking their armies and that means he can pretty much make a shopping list of their lands and no one important will complain.

At the least I think they would take a bit more of piedmont and Liguria- ie Turin and Genoa, if the latter wasn't annexed already, maybe Corsica as well for Bonapartesale sake, and reduce Savoy to its historical Duchy plus maybe Sardinia (for the Kingship title) or else just dissolve their crown and make them a grand duke of Savoy. If it's good enough for Austria (prior to the emperorship) it's good enough for them. One could also give wither of the islands to Spain if you wanted, Sardinia was part of Spain for a while.

Though I would also like to hear what others think.
Thanks for the suggestions mate.

I'll wait for others' opinions and then I'll decide what to do.

Last edited:
And some supplemental stuff for you all:
Firstly a list of the rulers of major European nations since the POD:

Rulers of the Major European Powers since 1740:

- Habsburg Monarchy (Until 1802)/Austro-Hungarian Empire (After 1802): Maria Theresa 1740-1773, Joseph II 1773-1796, Charles I 1796-
- Britain: George II 1727-1760, George III 1760-
- France (Kingdom of): Louis XV 1710-1773, Louis XVI 1773-1805
- France (Republic of): Louis-Nicolas Davout 1806-
- Occitania: Pau Soler 1806-
- Ottoman Empire: Mahmud I 1730-1754, Osman III 1754-1757, Mustafa III 1757-1774,Abdülhamid I 1774-1789, Selim III 1789-1807, Mahmud II 1807-
- Poland-Lithuania: Augustus III 1735-1765, Adam I 1765-1778, Duke Charles II August of Zweibrücken (as regent) 1778-1786, Charles Leopold I and Maria Anna I (as joint monarchs) 1786-
- Prussia: Frederick II 1740-1802, Frederick William II (uncrowned) 1802, Gebhard Blücher (as Consul of Prussia until 1803/as Regent after 1803) 1802-1813, Frederick William III 1813-
- Russia: Anna 1730-1740, Ivan VI 1740-1741, Elizabeth 1741-1762, Peter III 1762, Catherine II 1762-1769, Paul I 1772-
- Spain (Until 1802)/Empire of the Spanish (After 1802): Phillip V 1724-1746, Ferdinand VI 1746-1759, Charles III 1759-1788, Charles IV 1788-1800, Ferdinand VII 1802-

And secondly a map of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and its neighbours in 1806:

The Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1806 in the FWK Universe.PNG

I could see Venice annexing all of Mainland Sardinia-Piedmont, leaving them with only the Kingdom of Sardinia as a token gesture. Of course if that happens I think the country will need to rename itself from "Venice" to "North Italy".

I could see Venice annexing all of Mainland Sardinia-Piedmont, leaving them with only the Kingdom of Sardinia as a token gesture. Of course if that happens I think the country will need to rename itself from "Venice" to "North Italy".
Hrmm... interesting. Your thoughts Emperor of Greater India, Germania09 and others?

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of comments as I lack knowledge about the European political scenario much. I was mostly intrigued by the topic that the author has taken up rarely picked as well as I like to get as much knowledge from more knowledgeable people than me.

But from whatever I know I can say that this update was pretty much encompassing all the points and it was a great work to say of. No doubt about it knowing who the author is.

Wondering when I will be getting my most awaited update. I am just excited about it.

Sorry for the lack of comments as I lack knowledge about the European political scenario much. I was mostly intrigued by the topic that the author has taken up rarely picked as well as I like to get as much knowledge from more knowledgeable people than me.

But from whatever I know I can say that this update was pretty much encompassing all the points and it was a great work to say of. No doubt about it knowing who the author is.

Wondering when I will be getting my most awaited update. I am just excited about it.
Thanks for the kind words, mate. :D

I am intrigued as to who you think I am, though. I'm hardly a well-known/respected board member.

With Turin Venice does have good claim to Piedmont and the regions there. Though Savoie might be overreach to be included in that, and Sardinia it's self would be overreach to the max for this.

On the topic of Habsburg gains would it be better to say that the Habsburgs had good gains (Spain) while Austria did not (minor adjustments to Bavaria)? I feel that the loss of the HRE would be enough to warent compensation elsewhere. Maybe a German Confederation as OTL? At most it seems their gains were the losses of rivals.

Also am i detecting a future of rivalry between the British and the Austrians?

With Turin Venice does have good claim to Piedmont and the regions there. Though Savoie might be overreach to be included in that, and Sardinia it's self would be overreach to the max for this.

On the topic of Habsburg gains would it be better to say that the Habsburgs had good gains (Spain) while Austria did not (minor adjustments to Bavaria)? I feel that the loss of the HRE would be enough to warent compensation elsewhere. Maybe a German Confederation as OTL? At most it seems their gains were the losses of rivals.

Also am i detecting a future of rivalry between the British and the Austrians?
OK, I reckon enough people think that Venice should gain more of Sardinian territory for me to change that.

Yes indeed. I personally fought that other European nations would be unwilling to grant Austria any territorial gains when the Habsburgs, as monarchs of Austria, Poland-Lithuania and Spain, are easily the singularly most powerful family in Europe.

And yes a Austro-British Rivalry is on the cards.

I think that the Austrians lost the HRE they must have surely annexed some smaller states around them as a consolation prize at least as far as I recall they didn't receive any territorial acquisitions anywhere at the end of this war. Also with the HRE dissolved there's no need for them to obey the legal fictions regarding the status of those states and (at least in theory) they could do whatever they want with them.

And what when did the wily Habsburgs got into Poland. When did this happen. Sorry if I missed something. And Ankh have you annexed Bavaria into Austria or was it already a part of it and when did the Austrian empire become the Austro-Hungarian empire. Pardon me if I have missed a lot I will take care from now on if I have but please let me know what I did miss.

And I think the German nation that will be eventually formed will be dominated by the Austrians. Will we be seeing a TTL analogue of the Zollverein here.

As always, rivalry between the Germans and the British is cool stuff to read about any time. Is France going to remain divided or will it unite in the future as it looks much better united than divided. Is good old Napoleon going to be as famous as he was OTL or will he remain in the shadows.

Please do correct me my friends, if I said something implausible.

Last edited:
I think that the Austrians lost the HRE they must have surely annexed some smaller states around them as a consolation prize at least as far as I recall they didn't receive any territorial acquisitions anywhere at the end of this war. Also with the HRE dissolved there's no need for them to obey the legal fictions regarding the status of those states and (at least in theory) they could do whatever they want with them.

And what when did the wily Habsburgs got into Poland. When did this happen. Sorry if I missed something. And Ankh have you annexed Bavaria into Austria or was it already a part of it and when did the Austrian empire become the Austro-Hungarian empire. Pardon me if I have missed a lot I will take care from now on if I have but please let me know what I did miss.

And I think the German nation that will be eventually formed will be dominated by the Austrians. Will we be seeing a TTL analogue of the Zollverein here.

As always, rivalry between the Germans and the British is cool stuff to read about any time. Is France going to remain divided or will it unite in the future as it looks much better united than divided. Is good old Napoleon going to be as famous as he was OTL or will he remain in the shadows.

Please do correct me my friends, if I said something implausible.
OK fair enough, Austria will receive some extra territory in my changes, as will Venice.

The Habsburg became rulers of Poland as a consequence of the 6 Year's War (Third War of Polish Succession) when Adam I was placed on the throne by Maria Theresa and his daughter (Maria Anna I) married Maria Theresa's grandson (Charles Leopold I).
Bavaria was annexed by Austria after that same war in exchange for the Wittelsbachs getting the Austrian Netherlands.
Austria became the Austro-Hungarian Empire after Austrian and Hungarian Equality Declaration that ended the Magyar Rebellion.

That is possible.

Napoleon may increase in prominence but not the OTL levels.

France will very likely be re-united in a few decades.

A short update on the situation in Germany:

Part 8: 20 Years of Peace 1806-1826: The Major States of the World: Section 1: A New Germany:
Germany at the end of the Great European War was very different to the Holy Roman Empire that had existed before the war began. Not only was there no unifying force across all the states, but each and every German states was now capable of defending themselves, particularly with the partition of France that removed their major enemy.

Austria, undoubtedly, suffered the highest number of casualties in the Great European War (with the exception of France) and gained very little. The Habsburgs had regained the Spanish throne but the Austrian nation had gained almost nothing for what they had paid in blood. This led to the birth of the Pax Austria movement (Pax being peace in Latin) in the immediate aftermath of the bloodiest war that the world had ever seen. The Pax Austria movement was led by the Austrian philosopher, Hans Stauffenburg, and campaigned for the expansion of the Austrian nation but in a peaceful manner. This, slightly hypocritical, idea was based on the colonisation of Africa. Stauffenburg and his supporters argued that, by colonising Africa, they would be helping the continent’s inhabitants as they would ‘civilise’ them in the process of colonisation. Stauffenburg propose to carry out the colonisation of Africa through the peaceful persuasion of the natives that they would be better off as part of the Austrian nation, he also declared that ‘Civilisation, Christianity and Commerce’ were the ‘three pillars’ of colonialism. Unsurprisingly the idea of expansion, without further bloodshed, proved very popular and the Pax Austria movement grew and grew. At the same time as this was going on the Austrian government had to adjust to being the Austro-Hungarian government and the fact that the Hungarians now had far more power than they used to have. The Hungarians, meanwhile, were greatly enjoying their position as equals in the empire and would regularly hold street parties to celebrate Charles I, they even named the 4th May Charles I Day.

Prussia was also doing well under Regent Blücher, despite their losses in the Great European War. Their gain of Saxony helped to restore some of Prussia’s pride that had been blighted for so many years. It also provided additional funds, through taxes from the new populace, for the advancement of the Prussian overseas ambitions. With this, small but sufficient, increase an expedition was launched to chart the northern coast of Australis Island. The Royal Prussian East Indian Company was also founded in Konigsberg, with Blücher’s sanction, to direct the Prussian colonisation efforts in the East Indies. Their first move, apart from the Australis Expedition, was to send a colonisation attempt to an island beyond the Dutch colonies. They also attempted to purchase East Timor from the Portuguese but were turned down.

In the new states of the Kingdom of the Rhine, Saxony-Wurzburg and Württemberg many people rejoiced in being part of a unified, stronger, state and some even began to campaign for total German unification. This movement failed to spread beyond the three smaller states, however, as most people in Prussia and Austria were happy with their lot, for now… The reorganisation of Germany did have some drawbacks, with the Kingdom of the Rhine angry that they didn’t control the mouth of the river that was so important to their economy. In Württemberg, meanwhile, King Friedrich II decided to try and form an alliance with Austria. Why? Because he feared that, despite the increased power of his nation, the Prussian ambitions would threaten his kingdom. So, in June 1807 Württemberg and the Austro-Hungarian Empire signed an alliance. Friedrich II’s fears appeared justified as two months later Saxony-Wurzburg and Prussia also signed an alliance pact. Germany was quickly becoming a region of two camps and, should the Austro-Prussian Alliance collapse, war will soon come to cover the region once more.

Last edited:
Hey Friends Ankh is going to do a summary on countries around the world if anyone has something to suggest you can suggest something right here on the thread. Please do let know if you have some ideas.