For the Want of a King TL: Prussia loses the War of Austrian Succession

And another short update:

Part 8: 20 Years of Peace 1806-1826: The Major States of the World: Section 2: France, Spain and Italy:
The new-born nation of the Republic of France was a shambles. The nation was under the total control of the army, and by-extension Marshall Davout, and the people were subjugated. Things were not well and the, British-backed, Restorationists were widely supported, in fact the only thing that stopped them being totally supported was their British backers but without them they could not hope to have the guns to fight the French army. Many hoped for the King to return, just as they had done in England after the English Civil War, but they feared he never would, such was the state of the nation. It was obvious that something would crack soon… By comparison Occitania was a far better place for people to live. Just like in Austria everyone was free and the nation was truly democratic. Unfortunately, however, many of the more conservative inhabitants dreamed of a unified France and the return of the King. This would be the Achilles heel of the Occitanian Republic, the fact that it was not the whole of France. Most historians agree that, had the Occitanian system been in place in a unified France, there would have no whisper of descent to be heard. But the Unification Movement

Under their restored Hapsburg line and Ferdinand VII the Spanish set about federalising the empire. Under the Spanish Federalisation Declaration Spanish South America was divided into five Viceroyalties, each of which would send 10 representatives to the Imperial Spanish Council in Madrid. These five Viceroyalties were, Rio de la Plata, Peru, New Granada, Venezuela and Chile. Back in Spain the Kingdom of Spain was created as another member state of the Empire of the Spanish, they too sent 10 representatives to the Imperial Spanish Council. At home living conditions of the poorest began to improve as Ferdinand VII began to apply several Josephian policies to the Spanish nation. The continued flow of precious metals from South America also helped to get the Spanish economy back on its feet.

On the Italian Peninsula, meanwhile, Venice was undoubtedly the masters of the north and they renamed themselves North Italy 3 years after the Congress of Vienna. Sardinia was, unsurprisingly, it a bad way. Its economy was crippled and their main backer had fallen, not only that, but their political ambitions were well and truly ended. There was no hope for a Sardinian Italy anymore. Further south, in the Papal States and Sicily, people were just going on with their daily lives. Sicily, a French ally that never actually fought, is now regarded as a cowardly nation by those around them and has suffered a massive blow to their reputation because of it.

I should add that, whilst I'm summarising the situation at the moment, updates will be shorter but more regular. Once the 20 Years of Peace, and the world summaries, are done things will go back to normal.

Would Venice claim the title North Italy? or something a little more historical like Lombardia. In OTL Italian nationalism isn't routed in roman culture, but Etruscan. Maybe this alt-Italy can find it's common "historical people" in the Lombards?

Somethings I'd like to see is the Irish situation because I'm sure that group isn't any less hostile to British rule. Especailly because this UK isn't as overstretch so more energy will go to their rule at home, which means annoying the Irish more.

Finally the North American continent will be interesting because I see the 14 colonies running into the same problem as the 13 did. Domestically They probably have a system akin to the articles of confederation which are horrible for state building. And internationally I imagine American settlers are crossing over into Lousiania and setting up homesteads. The excess of land probably hurts the Empire of Louisiana more than it helps at this stage.

Anyway great timeline I love reading it.

Would Venice claim the title North Italy? or something a little more historical like Lombardia. In OTL Italian nationalism isn't routed in roman culture, but Etruscan. Maybe this alt-Italy can find it's common "historical people" in the Lombards?

Somethings I'd like to see is the Irish situation because I'm sure that group isn't any less hostile to British rule. Especailly because this UK isn't as overstretch so more energy will go to their rule at home, which means annoying the Irish more.

Finally the North American continent will be interesting because I see the 14 colonies running into the same problem as the 13 did. Domestically They probably have a system akin to the articles of confederation which are horrible for state building. And internationally I imagine American settlers are crossing over into Lousiania and setting up homesteads. The excess of land probably hurts the Empire of Louisiana more than it helps at this stage.

Interesting suggestion. I'll think about changing it.

TBH I haven't really though about the Irish, but I will now. ;)

Yes it will be interesting. I'm sure there will be a war there soon enough...

Thanks! :D

Part 8: 20 Years of Peace 1806-1826: The Major States of the World: Section 3: India:
A Special Appearance by Emperor of Greater India as a guest writer

The Marathas utterly humiliated by the Treaty of Bombay which had led to them being forced to cede nearly their entire homeland except a few forts in the northern Sahyadris which they managed to hold against the Hyderabadis. The Hyderabadi victory over a 50,000 man Maratha army at Palkhed near Aurangabad, became possible because of the death of a significant part of the Maratha leadership(in a rare stroke of luck for the Hyderabadis), including the reigning Peshwa Nanasaheb and his brother Raghunathrao with a large number of prominent generals. This led to panic in the Maratha army and also in the lack of leadership led to dramatic collapse of Maratha resistance in the Deccan. Eventually the Hyderabadis even went on to sack Pune, the capital (de facto) of the Maratha Empire., as the remain Maratha armies in the Maharashtra retreated behind the Vindhya mountains. As the Hyderabadis knocked the doors of Bombay the fearful British enormously pressured the Marathas to seek a peace.(not that the British had proved to be any trustworthy allies ).

Though battered and bruised the Marathas continued to be dominant in North India. Deeply angered by the British treachery (never had the British provided any useful assistance), the Marathas having understood their true motives began to undermine the British position in India at every opportunity. This policy paid enormous dividends in the form of a Bengali(aided crucially by a Maratha reinforcement of 10,000) victory over the British at the Battle of Plassey in 1757 inspite of the defection of Mir Kasim, the Wazir (Prime minister) of Bengal.

Most importantly the son of Peshwa Nanasaheb, the 14 year old Madhavrao ascended to the gadi(throne) of the Peshwa under a regency headed nominally by his mother Gopikabai, but in effect managed by the powerful General Malharrao Holkar (who had managed to orderly retreat from Palkhed but forced to stay put due to some grievous wounds from the battle). On the other side the Marathas opting to stay away from the Hyderabadis for the time being the Marathas swiftly snatched Punjab from Ahmad Shah Durrani with the overwhelming support of the Sikh rebels. The Marathas addressed the grievances of the Rajput vassal kings (who previously repeatedly complained heavy handed behavior from Maratha authorities) by increasing their autonomy but still maintaining a strong control over them. The Nawab of Awadh, Shuja ud Daulah destroyed the Rohilla Pathans as a force in North India with Maratha help. The Nawab extremely grateful for Maratha assistance pledged his allegiance to the Marathas.

These allegiances were to prove valuable for the future.

Meanwhile the young, though shrewd and cunning, Peshwa Madhavrao in 1759 seized effective power in a successful coup against the regency having gained the unwavering support of Malharrao Holkar (deceiving him by promising him that the Peshwa would not interfere in any of his decisions) cemented his position at court. Ahmad Shah Durrani enraged at the loss of Punjab and also to crush rebellions in his newly conquered Indian territories began to muster a vast force which at full strength numbered 100,000 including the famed Qizilbash warriors. Ahmad Shah seeking desperately needed alliances sent proposals to various North Indian rulers including the Nawab of Awadh who promptly refused it(note that the Nawab was a Sunni and Ahmad Shah a Shia).

Thus devoid of any allies Ahmad Shah marched towards Punjab in July 1760 and entering into Punjab he and his armies fell into the worst nightmare that befell whoever challenged the Marathas in hills and forests, Ganimi kava (guerrilla warfare). Any force that strayed away from the main camp was sure to be ambushed and obliterated in the numerous forests and hills of Punjab.

Meanwhile Malharrao set out from his base at Bhopal with a 70,000 man force (of course minus the 200,000 pilgrims that accompanied them OTL) gathering supplies and more men from the Rajputs and the Nawab and this force of 95,000 marched to face the heavily demoralized (that was what the Maratha guerilla tactics were feared for) Afghans (minus 20%their initial number and some precious cannons too) at Panipat in October 1761 and obliterated the Afghans though receiving a 30% casualties winning a victory so comprehensive that the Afghans were never to enter India as conquerors. The victorious Marathas pursued the tattered Afghans(minus Ahmad Shah) through Sindh and most of Balochistan annexing them as they went through. The Marathas stood at the doors of Afghanistan as they watched it fall into anarchy as its disparate tribes lacked a strong hand to unify them.

Now lacking a potent threat in the North, Marathas after a three year respite marched into Konkan under Sadashivrao(the Peshwa's uncle)in March 1765, aided by the lack of troops and numerous pro-Maratha rebellions against Hyderabad all along the coast (Konkan is the coastal region of Maharashtra) the Sahyadri forts too fell easily as the mostly previous Maratha garrisons of the forts surrendered the forts at the approach of the Maratha army. As the Nizam of Hyderabad turned the forces from Telangana and Marathwada to combat Sadashivrao, the main army under Malharrao marched through Telangana and rapidly advanced towards Hyderabad itself which fell after a gruesome five month siege and with the death of the Nizam Asaf Jah II in a final sally ended the hopes of Hyderabadi independence. The French were surprisingly silent (the Peshwa had promised them territories that they had disputed hotly with the Nizam). The French received favourable trading rights at Visakhapatnam and other Eastern Indian coast ports also the tracts of territories in the fertile Godavari delta with a sizable hinterland for Pondicherry in the Treaty of Pondicherry. With the British now marginalized to some scattered outposts across India the French now were the most powerful European power in India, albeit allied with the Marathas and having sent a contingent of military advisors to help modernize the Maratha artillery arm and train the Maratha armies in contemporary field battle tactics.

Now at peace on every front as the dominant power the Marathas focused on administrative reforms. The Peshwa Madhavrao first cut down the powers of the nobility limiting their private forces to a thousand with a few exceptions which never exceeded three thousand (of course Malharrao had died in 1766 at Indore, the interim Maratha capital. Afterwards the capital was relocated back to Pune after the fall of Hyderabad. Malharrao was followed by his inept son Khanderao who was nothing like his father a fact the wily Peshwa took advantage of) and the nobles had to handover the excess troops to the central government's pay. Also forced to cede half their estates to the government they were punished severely in case of failure in compliance. The administration purged of incompetent, corrupt officers advancing meritorious administrators in their place. The military was a place only for loyal, competent generals who owed their rise and loyalty to only the Peshwa's person (in direct violation of the Peshwa's powers as Prime minister).

Now pushing through educational reforms was much harder due to the staunch opposition of the Hindu Brahmin priestly class who had a stranglehold on that field. But it was slowly penetrating through all the stratas of Hindu society. As the Marathas mourned the death of the greatest Peshwa since Bajirao I in 1802 the Maratha Navy was refurbishing itself (in the final stages of this process) for a round of conflict with the Portuguese, unknown to the Marathas a large threat was manifesting itself somewhere in the far north perhaps the largest the Marathas ever faced.

The Wodeyar Mysore Kingdom and the Portuguese blissfully isolated themselves from the big game playing out in the North. As OTL Hyder Ali came to power in 1761 and mainly focused in the south taking out the smaller states in the Malabar coast especially the Travancore state, a British ally fell to Hyder hoping for British help which never came due to the French attacks on Madras. Having expanded to the southern tip of India the Mysore state finally stabilized under Tipu Sultan (succeeded Hyder in 1782)as a trading state which prospered from trade with the French, Dutch (via the Dutch East Indies) and Portuguese as well as with other Indian states(by this time the Maratha Empire only and its allies). Education greatly increased literacy in the Mysore kingdom the most literate state in India by 1800 with a literacy rate of 25%.

The Portuguese, in Goa, in wake of the Treaty of Bombay had snatched away some portions of Southern Konkan and some adjoining territories in Karnataka from the Marathas who had retreated behind the Vindhyas. After Hyderabad was crushed the Portuguese found themselves surrounded on all landward sides by the Maratha Empire and the Maratha Navy reasserting itself on the high seas the Portuguese now came to realize that the Marathas will make them pay for their past deeds anytime in the future, had found themselves helpless and without friends their survival in India was at peril and frantically began rearming themselves for a fight for their survival as after the conquest. Whatever was to happen of them was to be in India and nowhere else.

Hey there friends sorry for some unintended grammatical mistakes. But I would like if anyone as any suggestions to make and any kind of (constructive most preferred) criticism is welcome. Waiting for your opinions on my first proper update.

Also would you like if I continue to write updates on India. If you have any objections or doubts in the update I would be happy to clear them out.

Waiting for your precious comments.

Good to see a non India screw TL. Will the Maratha remain Maratha, or will they embrace pan Indianism?

Just as Ankh said for the Marathas to survive as the dominant power in India they would have to deal or are rather dealing with the myriad rulers coming from different cultural backgrounds so to hold together their empire it is quite mandatory for them to cultivate a sense of unity among the different cultures.

So following a pan Indian identity is a must for them.

Considering Venice's national identity is based on being descended from True Romans untainted by the barbarian invaders (including Lombards) on the mainland I doubt it. The Venetian "renaissance" was a very different animal because to their minds they never "lost" the Roman heritage.

A Venetian self-identity would foster more around republicanism and "driving out the Barbarians" aka the French, Spanish, Germans etc. and even the Pope to reclaim an ancient heritage. It would look a lot like the early United States, in fact: an emphasis on neo-classical influences, republicanism, being a "shining city on a hill" with strong religious undertones (only Catholic instead of Protestant) despite having secular humanist impulses, and being proud not to bend to kings or the like. Not to mention the unique, divided government system which is set up as a de facto oligarchy.

Hey people any one around. This thread doesn't seem good when it's inactive. Come on fellow readers put forth your opinions on the recent updates. They are the ones most needed (and encouraging too). Be it criticism or any other questions feel free to post.

Cheers.

Agreed.

Anyways, the next update will be up later today.

So I'm confused, if the Adam I of Poland Lithuania is Adam Kazimierz Czartoryski, and reform did indeed happen which limited the Sejm's Veto and made the title of King Hereditary, why was Adam's already extant first born son not proclaimed King of Poland Lithuania? Adam Jerzy Czartoryski was born before the treaty and in any case had two older sisters who could inherit instead of him. . .

So I'm confused, if the Adam I of Poland Lithuania is Adam Kazimierz Czartoryski, and reform did indeed happen which limited the Sejm's Veto and made the title of King Hereditary, why was Adam's already extant first born son not proclaimed King of Poland Lithuania? Adam Jerzy Czartoryski was born before the treaty and in any case had two older sisters who could inherit instead of him. . .
He has no son ITTL and his eldest daughter, Maria Anna ascended to the throne with her husband Charles Leopold I.

He has no son ITTL and his eldest daughter, Maria Anna ascended to the throne with her husband Charles Leopold I.

When exactly did he die? IOTL his Son was born on January 13th 1770. It has to be at least 9 months before then for him to not have a son.

Also Charles Leopold wouldn't be King in your scenario. Niether the Czartoryski's nor Poland Lithuania followed Strict Male Primogeniture at this time. Maria Anna would inherit the Throne, Charles Leopold would be Prince-Consort. . .

When exactly did he die? IOTL his Son was born on January 13th 1770. It has to be at least 9 months before then for him to not have a son.

Also Charles Leopold wouldn't be King in your scenario. Niether the Czartoryski's nor Poland Lithuania followed Strict Male Primogeniture at this time. Maria Anna would inherit the Throne, Charles Leopold would be Prince-Consort. . .
The son was butterflied away. (What with the POD being 1740 and all.)

That is exactly the case. I believe I put in that update that the system was like that of William and Mary in England.

The son was butterflied away. (What with the POD being 1740 and all.)

That is exactly the case. I believe I put in that update that the system was like that of William and Mary in England.

That's not how butterflies work. For the Son to be Butterflied away his wife has to die as a result of the POD or as a result of a result of the POD etc. This is not an easy thing to arrange as his mother was healthy enough to bear 3 more children after him and was unlikely to be felled by disease. She also would be constantly protected as queen-consort so Violence is unlikely.

Also William and Mary is not an apt comparison. William was King of the Netherlands before his marriage. Charles Leopold was not a King in his own right before marrying. Maria Anna would be the one making decisions, not him.