Planetocopia Map Thread

I could do, the alien worlds would actually be easier to do, not sure if there's a demand for them, though.

Well, personally I've loved Kakalea ever since its debut. Pegasia I've been indifferent on, but I just realized how similar it is to Kakalea.

Hm, do you happen to have a Green Antarctica with political borders in Worlda?

No... way too hard.

The ones I have are centered on Antarctica, as part of what a Tsalal map would look like (we contort the poles, they contort the equator). This happens to fit with Cassini-World as well, a lucky coincidence.

Moving the version I made to WorldA would take more effort than finding a map in that projection with the ice-cap already removed.

Really, really, really cool maps and projects, I love it!

Here is another really cool one: Middle atlantic ridge is North Pole, or: Australia and Antarctica switched. :cool:

xerZI6x.jpg

(sorry for the .jpg, but it is not possible to upload a .png or .bmp of this. Imgur convertes this also into .jpg, why the hell ever! -.-
If you have Alternative World Creator, just type latitude "27.4" and longitude "-46.1")

Put it aside when I got to the mediterranean - I'll see if I can get back to work on the savefile.
Ah oak yeah if you could get around itd be appreciated. I wanted to do a map with it to get down an idea ive had about the world for years haha
Here is another really cool one: Middle atlantic ridge is North Pole, or: Australia and Antarctica switched.
Thats acctually a pretty cool projection id love to see that in worlda format haha

Well, can I post my tilted worldmap here?
the "Pseudo-Seapole" or "Pseudo-Cassini"(in xkcd)
lattitude -5, longitude 65

Jqgzb24.png

• Global climate
    • no "dry pole", tropical ring current. This two will make "pseudoseapole" warmer.
    • but many uplands(Rocky, Great rift, Altiplano, Tibet...) are located in mid-to high latitude. This will moderate "pseudoseapole"'s climate.
  • Antartica/Tropica
    • Savana Maud basin, subtripocal humid Northern coast, montane-subtripocal Argus upland
    • Tropical Aurora bay, Byrd Islands, and Palmeria
  • South America/Amazonia
    • subtropical Argentina, unchanged Brazil uplnad
    • Amazon and Orinoco gulf have european climate.
    • I'm not sure about pacific coast's climate. Manchuria? Hokkaido? Tasmania?
  • North America/Tortolia
    • oceanic Carribean, cold barren Mexico, canadian-cold USA(with its cold Mississipi bay.)
    • pacific coast shifted each other.(Alaskan Baja, Pugetish California, Californian Puget, dry Alaska)
    • Canada has temperate-to-subtropical climate, and its artic islands have tropical climate.
  • Siberia and Europe
    • From Japan to Spain is Wet and Warm(but broken by many gulfs), and might have significant monsoon(by tibet and enlarged arctic sea).
    • Ob gulf and Inland sea might fuse each other with turgay strait. If so, Inland sea(and its coast) will have great riddle of its sea current.
  • Africa and Arabia
    • Dominated by monsoon, similar with OTL China and southeast Asia
    • Great rift is largely tundra. And so is Madagascar. Taiga is narrow. But Arabia is not that cold. Red sea will get warm current(due to Gulf of Aden. "Riddle of Inland sea" won't affect this.).
  • Asia
    • Turkey and central asian steppe is still temperate(and humid enough), but Iran and Afghanistan is cold.
    • India is not that cold because of warm current from Malaysia.
    • Tibet is midway between tundra and ice cap.(my analogy is "colder montana".) Taklamakan is still desert.
    • China and Mongolia is mostly desert.(with inland sea.) Korea and Manchuria is savana.
    • Indochina and Indonesia have European climate.(but I'm not sure about its current. Indonesia might have eastasian climate bacause of Papuan Warm current.)
  • Oceania
    • New Guinea, Gulf of Carpentaria, and south coast is tropical. Artesian basin has significant wet and dry seasons.(But Huge inland gulf moderates its climate.) Nullarbor is still treeless, and Perth is still Perth.
    • NZ, Melanesia, and Micronesia is also tropical like upper australian part. But most of the Polynesia is gone.

Last edited:
  • I'm not sure about pacific coast's climate. Manchuria? Hokkaido? Tasmania?

Judging by the latitudes, Colombia/Ecuador would be like Tierra Del Fuego, a mild tundra. Further north, Peru would be like Patagonia, a cool desert (due to the prevaling westerlies and the resulting rain shadow from the Andes). Even further north, I'd imagine Chile would be like New South Wales in Australia (prevailing easterlies and mountains make for a mild subtropical climate).

Incidentally, I never noticed how much a rotated South America looks like the Iberian Peninsula. :cool:

• Indochina and Indonesia have European climate.(but I'm not sure about its current. Indonesia might have eastasian climate bacause of Papuan Warm current.)
I think Java ends up like an insular California, Mediterranean on the west coast, but semi-desert on the east coast. Sumatra, on the other hand, is more like the British Isles: mild and wet.

Judging by the latitudes, Colombia/Ecuador would be like Tierra Del Fuego, a mild tundra. Further north, Peru would be like Patagonia, a cool desert (due to the prevaling westerlies and the resulting rain shadow from the Andes). Even further north, I'd imagine Chile would be like New South Wales in Australia (prevailing easterlies and mountains make for a mild subtropical climate).

Thanks for the advice. Analogy of Tierra Del Fuego and Patagonia makes it look like eastern Argentina.(Chile would also be like Pampas or Uruguay maybe.)

Incidentally, I never noticed how much a rotated South America looks like the Iberian Peninsula. :cool:

Whoa! I've never noticed that for months.
Unfortunately, Three gulfs(Orinoco, Amazon, Plata) will make it unrecognizable:(

I think Java ends up like an insular California, Mediterranean on the west coast, but semi-desert on the east coast. Sumatra, on the other hand, is more like the British Isles: mild and wet.

Thanks a lot... But Java and Sumatra would still have californean/oceanic climate, regardless of Papuan current. Papuan(or maybe Carpenterian) current will effect islands like Timor, Halmahera, and Philippines.(desert climate or subtropical climate.)

Cas_Indn_Cur.png

Picture of "Indonesian Current Riddle". If warm current follows red/orange arrow, Indonesia would have subtropical climate(at least part of it). If current follows reddish yellow arrow, Indonesia would have desert climate.
Gray arrow is current caused by westerlies. Purple arrow is warm current that makes india warmer. Grayish blue arrow is cold current that makes china arid.

Cas_Med_Cur.png

Picture of "Mediterranean Current Riddle".
If turgay strait(green dotted line) didn't form, warm current would flow from Gibraltar to the Gulf of Aden.(Bright blue, red, and pink arrow)
If turgay strait formed, warm current would flow from the gulf of Ob through Caspi-aral sea(Yellow and white arrow) and... which direction would the current flow?
If current flow from Greece to Gibraltar(Blue), Mediterranean coast will have arid(and mediterranean) climate. If current flow from Gibraltar to Greece(Brighter blue), Mediterranean coast will have subtropical climate.
Yellowish green circle is the gulf of Ob.

Picture of "Indonesian Current Riddle". If warm current follows red/orange arrow, Indonesia would have subtropical climate(at least part of it). If current follows reddish yellow arrow, Indonesia would have desert climate.
Gray arrow is current caused by westerlies. Purple arrow is warm current that makes india warmer. Grayish blue arrow is cold current that makes china arid.

Currents in deep water are more powerful, so I think the red arrow is the way to go here. The South China Sea IOTL is oceanographically a Mediterranean sea, in that it has limited exchange of water with surrounding oceans. Ergo, very little current will flow through that area. I think the gray arrow needs to go north over Sumatra, rather than between it and Java.

Picture of "Mediterranean Current Riddle".
If turgay strait(green dotted line) didn't form, warm current would flow from Gibraltar to the Gulf of Aden.(Bright blue, red, and pink arrow)
If turgay strait formed, warm current would flow from the gulf of Ob through Caspi-aral sea(Yellow and white arrow) and... which direction would the current flow?
If current flow from Greece to Gibraltar(Blue), Mediterranean coast will have arid(and mediterranean) climate. If current flow from Gibraltar to Greece(Brighter blue), Mediterranean coast will have subtropical climate.
Yellowish green circle is the gulf of Ob.

Water doesn't flow uphill. No water is going from Ob to the Caspian unless a below-sea-level path is carved out. Caspian IOTL is endorheic, so it stays until evaporated.

As for the Mediterranean, the flow would depend on whether it's a dilution basin or a concentration basin. If it receives a lot of rainfall and river water, like the South China Sea and the Caribbean, it will be a dilution basin and the flow will be stronger outward. On the other hand, if it receives little rainfall, like the Red Sea and Persian Gulf, it will be a concentration basin and the flow will be stronger inward. I think that since the Atlantic is equatorial in this configuration and therefore attracts rainfall, the Mediterranean as a whole would be a concentration basin and flow would go from Gibraltar to Greece rather than vice versa. However, monsoon rains might cause the flow to reverse during the summer. Since the horse latitudes go through the Mediterranean, though, the monsoon might bring parallel flows where it flows *in* near the black sea but *out* near Gibraltar at the same time.

Currents in deep water are more powerful, so I think the red arrow is the way to go here. The South China Sea IOTL is oceanographically a Mediterranean sea, in that it has limited exchange of water with surrounding oceans. Ergo, very little current will flow through that area.
Then... where would the regional climate go? subtropical?(Red arrow--New Gunean warm current--will flow into Indonesia) Arid?(very little current will flow through the South China Sea)

Water doesn't flow uphill. No water is going from Ob to the Caspian unless a below-sea-level path is carved out. Caspian IOTL is endorheic, so it stays until evaporated.

Oh, wait... There's something that's not said(sorry about that). Without decent land glacier, sea level will rise about 100 meters higher than OTL. So Suez canal will be flooded(Mediterranean sea will be connected with Red sea), Caspi/Aral sea will be connected with Black sea, and Ob riverbasin will be flooded(that's why I said Ob "gulf".). But Trugay strait's OTL altitude is about 100 meters, so subtle change of sea level will determine the existence of it.

Last edited:
Then... where would the regional climate go? subtropical?(Red arrow--New Gunean warm current--will flow into Indonesia) Arid?(very little current will flow through the South China Sea)

I'm not sure. The interplay between ocean flow and rainfall has never been my particular forte, sorry.

Oh, wait... There's something that's not said(sorry about that). Without decent land glacier, sea level will rise about 100 meters higher than OTL. So Suez canal will be flooded(Mediterranean sea will be connected with Red sea), Caspi/Aral sea will be connected with Black sea, and Ob riverbasin will be flooded(that's why I said Ob "gulf".). But Trugay strait's OTL altitude is about 100 meters, so subtle change of sea level will determine the existence of it.

Ah. Well, if the Med has more than two outlets, it will depend on their placements and relative pressure and flow rates. For example, the Sea of Japan would physically be isolated enough to qualify as a Mediterranean sea, but it experiences a great deal of flow from south to north and is therefore part of the global current system. I'm not sure why or how, unfortunately.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Meho9KM.jpg

Here is my take on major gyres and currents. Of note: On Madagascar's northern coast, there will likely be a polar countercurrent bringing water from east to west rather than west to east. Ditto Galapagos, possibly.

I don't see any coriolis-driven currents having any major effect on the Mediterranean. There just isn't enough water. This means that flow will likely be dictated by relative flows and pressures, which I don't really know too much about.

I'm very confused at to why people insist on there being a southern ice cap for that 'Africa at the north pole' thing. The climate seems like it should be rather akin to the Carboniferous as the continets are fairly similar. So terrestial glaciers, yes, but not oceanic ones.

Also those various tropical Canadas should be no where near as jagged and wiggly coasted.

Here is my take on major gyres and currents. Of note: On Madagascar's northern coast, there will likely be a polar countercurrent bringing water from east to west rather than west to east. Ditto Galapagos, possibly.
Thank you. I re-made currents map based on your map. I considered polar easterlies(though weak and unstable), so there's polar current from east to west near Madagascar/India and Galapagos.
(I tried to upload PNG file, but it's too large. So I uploaded smaller gif file.)
09.Huygens_currents.gif