Planetocopia Map Thread

There's a site, which is essentially a random fantasy generator, from D&D-esque role-play to general sci-fi to Star Wars. Two features are a random generator (adjustable by percentages of land, water, and ice) of geographic, altitudinal, "fractal" world-maps, and a more detailed one with, in addition to the former elements, biomes, rivers, and potentially, cities. The adjustable elements are the same, and factor into the otherwise random climactic and civilizational calculations. I only deal with the first two because I'm interested in the climate and geography, rather than a fantasy setting. Most of these worlds are a rather boring single, relatively normal continental landmass. However, this one is rather striking, with a massive highland in the temperate zone. Does the climate represented remotely make sense?

Wayans has updated. Mostly dreambank. He's still working on the first regional tour of Inversia which is listed as 25% done. Kakalea is listed as completely finished and I think Io is too.

There's a site, which is essentially a random fantasy generator, from D&D-esque role-play to general sci-fi to Star Wars. Two features are a random generator (adjustable by percentages of land, water, and ice) of geographic, altitudinal, "fractal" world-maps, and a more detailed one with, in addition to the former elements, biomes, rivers, and potentially, cities. The adjustable elements are the same, and factor into the otherwise random climactic and civilizational calculations. I only deal with the first two because I'm interested in the climate and geography, rather than a fantasy setting. Most of these worlds are a rather boring single, relatively normal continental landmass. However, this one is rather striking, with a massive highland in the temperate zone. Does the climate represented remotely make sense?
Anyone?

Rhad

Banned
That looks weird. Best guess at a rationalization of that is a continent rising from the shallow seas, and the rest of the land being basalt, not granite. You'd want to put a bunch of volcanoes on the lowland then, and maybe turn Boar's wood into a trench. Also, if the seas are shallow enough to show abyssal plains, there are going to a fuckton of volcanoes in the seas.

Edit: Using the earth's topography, and a similarish sea level, here's what the world would look like

(linked because it's way too big to attach) http://imgur.com/a/eM6iA.

There's few places more than a hundred miles from an island, and the most isolated island looks to be about 300 miles away from anything else.

Last edited:
That looks weird. Best guess at a rationalization of that is a continent rising from the shallow seas, and the rest of the land being basalt, not granite. You'd want to put a bunch of volcanoes on the lowland then, and maybe turn Boar's wood into a trench. Also, if the seas are shallow enough to show abyssal plains, there are going to a fuckton of volcanoes in the seas.
Thanks so much. I never really considered the geography of it, but that sounds plausible, and interesting.

If we're accepting the model as given (since otherwise it'd be hard to use the map for it) and assuming that all of that mass of rock is truly continental, is the represented climate plausible?

Rhad

Banned
Thanks so much. I never really considered the geography of it, but that sounds plausible, and interesting.

If we're accepting the model as given (since otherwise it'd be hard to use the map for it) and assuming that all of that mass of rock is truly continental, is the represented climate plausible?
Oh, not even close. The whole west should be way drier. Boar's wood, for example, should probably be desert, given it looks to be at 30ish N, and is blocked by a huge continent.

Rhad

Banned
It'd be an interesting set up for a world, but climates and cultures would be difficult to work out.

Ioan general world-climate: Hot and arid, with shallow seas and vast (size of American eastern states or European countries/big HRE states/Anywhere else's mini regions) single mountain regions. As such, the best WDB comparison is Mars, Tharn, or Pegasia. Maybe Annares or Serrana's planos.

@Rhad

Last edited: