Map Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
No color for Norway?
Seeing as it had no colonies (unless you count the likes of Greenland), and for a huge chunk of its modern history it was ruled by some other power, Norway doesn't really seem like the type of candidate for a color. Not to offend any Scandinavian posters...

But what nation would it represent? Native Americans are not all one state.

i know this. what i had was a series of internal... warlord type states within my empirical America. it all started when the new US government won the battles of Montreal and Quebec (with French aid) and seizing control of Canada. after the revolution was ended and the British defeated, the new American nation went to war with France, this time receiving British aid. their logic being, "he**, if we can't have a base in the Americas, then neither can they!" after this war, President Washington met with the leaders of a couple major tribes. they signed a treaty that basically vassalized all Amerindian states to America. they were still their own "nation" as it were, but had to pay the American government. both in taxes and men. afterward, the peoples laid siege to the rest of the "New World" and the final product looked like this.

EDIT: the above explanation only defines my reasoning for the Native American color, and explains the situation in the west. it doe not give adequate explanation for the rest of the world. i will hand that out to whoever asks.

EDIT 2: i made this map prior to me finding the UCS, this explains the coloration of Greece and India

My World.PNG

Seeing as it had no colonies (unless you count the likes of Greenland), and for a huge chunk of its modern history it was ruled by some other power, Norway doesn't really seem like the type of candidate for a color. Not to offend any Scandinavian posters...

and if you feel there should be a color for Norway, then you would also agree to one for Finland, Iceland, Afghanistan, and Tibet

and if you feel there should be a color for Norway, then you would also agree to one for Finland, Iceland, Afghanistan, and Tibet

I could see most or all modern nations having a color of some form at some point. In terms of colonial relevance, however, Norway merits a color more than any of those.

Do explain why Mexico or Colombia merits a standard coloration.

By the way, hadn't someone devised a color for Tibet?:confused:

Ed, you are simply the most awesome member of AH.com:p

>blushes< :eek:

Miskito and Mani are vassals, protectorates, or claimed but unsettled?

Nicirano, Miskito, Mani and Tzeltal are essentially vassals, although ones with quite a bit of room for manouvre. They are on far more friendly terms with the Empire then the other Mayan states. Effectively, as long as they keep trading and allow missionaries in then they can do pretty much what they like.

Seriously Ed, you are outstanding.... how much would it cost me to commission you to do a few maps for me? I'm asking in all seriousness... I'd pay to have you put your touch on a few maps for my work.

I'll happily do it for free, although I have to warn you that I can't neccesarily guarantee a speedy response- PM me if you like.

This seems like a very intriguing TL. I hope to read it in full.

From where did you get the name Derennia?:confused:

Glad you're intrigued, I hope to have something worth posting relatively soon although I'm still in the planning stages atm.

As for Derennia, the island was named in homour of the Derenne dynasty, which is the ruling house of the British Empire from (IIRC, I don't have my notes with me) the early 15th century until the late 16th. Although the family was British (The Derennes were the Counts of Man and Earls of Ulster) they were of Breton descent.

i know this. what i had was a series of internal... warlord type states within my empirical America. it all started when the new US government won the battles of Montreal and Quebec (with French aid) and seizing control of Canada. after the revolution was ended and the British defeated, the new American nation went to war with France, this time receiving British aid. their logic being, "he**, if we can't have a base in the Americas, then neither can they!" after this war, President Washington met with the leaders of a couple major tribes. they signed a treaty that basically vassalized all Amerindian states to America. they were still their own "nation" as it were, but had to pay the American government. both in taxes and men. afterward, the peoples laid siege to the rest of the "New World" and the final product looked like this.

EDIT: the above explanation only defines my reasoning for the Native American color, and explains the situation in the west. it doe not give adequate explanation for the rest of the world. i will hand that out to whoever asks.

EDIT 2: i made this map prior to me finding the UCS, this explains the coloration of Greece and India
Very interesting. The use of that colour does make sense there.

What are the british colonies like EdT? Are they more like the spanish colonies, mostly indians and slaves, or did the british settle them alot, like in OTL?

Very interesting. The use of that colour does make sense there.

thank you.

I could see most or all modern nations having a color of some form at some point. In terms of colonial relevance, however, Norway merits a color more than any of those.

Do explain why Mexico or Colombia merits a standard coloration.

By the way, hadn't someone devised a color for Tibet?:confused:

If you gave each nation a color then it would defeat the purpose of the UCS. unless your ATL demands that you add a color for some new nation (i.e. Switzerland) and in which case the color should have a major significance to the story. like the country was the only one left after Nuclear Holocaust, or it defeated small tribes and eventually rose to greatness (like Rome and Persia). i gave colors to Iraq, Hungary, Korea, Peru, and Amerindia because i needed those nations for my timeline and played a significant role. Hungary had territories in Transylvania, Slovakia, and Croatia, yet it is not worthy of a color? Peru was home to one of the greatest civilizations to rise out of the Western Hemisphere, yet it shouldnt have a color? i did it because i needed to.
as for Korea, i see it as one nation, not Communist North and Capitalist South. it is Korea. to represent that i used both flags spliced across like i did. the "Korean" flag as it is now is not a flag that i like.

the final say comes down to you. if you want Norway to have a color, then give it one. again with Tibet. if you want Tibet to have a color, then make it one

Standard coloration for Mexico and Columbia? what do you mean? standard being white? then most likely yes. it is again because i did not find the map early enough and the map did not have colors for them, and i was not in posession of their colors at the time.

Hapsburg

Banned
Britain (or, part of it, anyway), c.625 CE.
ITTL, King Arthur was real, born c.590 CE.
britain625cezx6.png

Oh, yes, Arthur was a real man, and was the first-born son of Uther I (b.561, r.580) of the House of Pendragon, King of Carlisle/Camelot and Mediator of the Britons Confederacy- a pact formed for mutual protection when the Romans up and left. Uther was overthrown and assassinated, however, in 594 CE, when he claimed the pretentious title King of the Britons, which offended the latent yet influential Anglo-Saxons of the east coast.
His domain fell into civil war, while the Saxons swept into southern Britain and utterly ravaged the confederation he had fought long and hard to mediate. The Saxons turned tribe against tribe, until they held dominion over almost all of southern and eastern England. Arthur, son of Uther, was been hidden away since he was a boy, and managed to execute a coup d'etat against his cousin, who had usurped the throne of Carlisle, and seized power in 610. Within 15 years, he managed to lead armies to war and unite Northwest England under the Crown of Pendragon, claiming the title King of Camelot, of Manchester, of Leeds, of Gwynedd, and of Avalon. However, he refrained from claiming the throne of all the Britons, but forged a new Briton Confederacy, with Trenton, Dyfed, North and South Severn, Glywysing, Summerset, Dorset, and Cornwall, and made powerful allies with the Empire of Ireland, Pictia, and Strathclyde. As November of 625 crept up upon Britain, the great offensive of the Celtic Alliance against the many squabbling Saxon kingdoms was prepared to begin.

i first saw that and noticed what i thought was an error
"Kingdom of Mad Sex"
of course, my vision is 20/15, but im dyslexic as well.

so i apologize for that, and i must say, great map work

Status
Not open for further replies.