Map Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
europe2020mapjr8.png

Another preview map from the story I'm writing- The British Empire and her continental possesions, c.1625...

Next up the situation in the Americas...
I'm guessing a Middle Ages POD, where the Capets fail to start unifing France. Maybe even Robert Curthorse becomes king of England.

Quick question...

Are there approved colors to represent each given nation? I was reading, and it seemed that there were. If so, could someone point me at the thread that they're listed in? Thanks a lot in advance!

Another preview map from the story I'm writing- The British Empire and her continental possesions, c.1625...

Next up the situation in the Americas...

In this map's timeline, Paris is not part of France, and Wales is a kingdom rather than a principality?:confused:

Highlander

Banned
Are there approved colors to represent each given nation? I was reading, and it seemed that there were. If so, could someone point me at the thread that they're listed in? Thanks a lot in advance!

Yeah, there is the UCS (Universal Color Scheme) which indicates what each country is.

But my suggestion is to steer clear of it as much as possible, when making ATL maps.

Yes, here is the UCS (on the left and in the box), with a few of my additions (to the upper right).

EDIT: i'll fix the flag on Babylon/Iraq sooner or later...

00 Map Key.PNG

Glad people like the map- I have one of the Americas in the pipeline, and then one of Europe.

I'm guessing a Middle Ages POD, where the Capets fail to start unifing France. Maybe even Robert Curthorse becomes king of England.

Wow, scarily close but not quite! Actually, the PoD is that Robert dies in 1077 and butterflies away Richard's hunting accident, giving us Duke William Rufus of Normandy and King Richard I of England on William I's death. Add in 600 years of divergence and things have got rather divorced from OTL in many respects...

How did they get Flanders?

What happened to France?

Burgundy seems more likely to have Flanders.

France is actually a major power, it's just evolved very differently to OTL; the French King is also the King of Aragon and his capital is Toulouse. As for Flanders, Britain has been able to play Burgundy off against France for generations; one of the catalysts for the events in the story I'm writing is this policy becoming untenable.

In this map's timeline, Paris is not part of France, and Wales is a kingdom rather than a principality? :confused:

Yup! Wales is one of the five Kingdoms that comprise the Empire. Paris is a Burgundian garrison town, and as mentioned aove the French King's capital is Toulouse.

Wow. Great map. What kind of story are you writing?

Glad you like it. The story is essentially going to be about what happens when the British Emperor runs out of money to pay for his overseas wars and tries to extort funds out of an unwilling Parliament... essentially I wanted to do something with some of the themes of the 17th century (lunatic religion, political upheaval, plotting cardinals etc) but with more freedom to manouvre, characters of my own etc. I've got the basic plot sorted out, at present I'm concentrating on fleshing out the setting hence the maps.

Glad you like it. The story is essentially going to be about what happens when the British Emperor runs out of money to pay for his overseas wars and tries to extort funds out of an unwilling Parliament... essentially I wanted to do something with some of the themes of the 17th century (lunatic religion, political upheaval, plotting cardinals etc) but with more freedom to manouvre, characters of my own etc. I've got the basic plot sorted out, at present I'm concentrating on fleshing out the setting hence the maps.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, here is the UCS (on the left and in the box), with a few of my additions (to the upper right).

EDIT: i'll fix the flag on Babylon/Iraq sooner or later...

Some of the problems with Hapsburg's key (the one posted by 09camaro) are:

Columbia and Venezuela exist at the same time, but have the same colour

Tunis/Carthage's and China's colours are near identical

Hungary, Mali, and the Ottoman Empire have near identical colours

There is no such nation as Native America

Too many nations have a colour almost exactly like Sweden's

Serbia and Byzantium existed at the same time, but have the same colour

North and South Korea have the same colour

EDIT:I now realize that the version 09Camaro posted is neither of the two official keys, and is in fact an earlier version of Hapsburg's. I will post Hapsburg's latest key in another post.

I suggest using Hapsburg's key for maps of a certian region. For world maps, I suggest using this key:

Key.PNG

Last edited:
Some of the problems with Hapsburg's key (the one posted by 09camaro) are:

Columbia and Venezuela exist at the same time, but have the same colour

Tunis/Carthage's and China's colours are near identical

Too many nations have a colour almost exactly like Sweden's

Serbia and Byzantium existed at the same time, but have the same colour

North and South Korea have the same colour

I suggest using Hapsburg's key for maps of a certian region. For world maps, I suggest using this key:

Why have Greece and Byzantium the same colour. :confused:

Greece =/= Byzantium. :mad:

You don't need to get in a huff about it. Byzantium was very much a Hellenic Empire, like Alexander's, but with Latin and Anatolian heritage as well.
The Greek colour was actually used for Byzantium before it got its own colour. Since Serbia and Byzantium existed at the same time, and Greece's colour looked too much like Sweden's, IMO, the Byzantium colour was given to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.