The Union Forever: A TL

Cool. Will they be sending any landers?

I'm sure these civil wars won't have any Chinese-made weapons making guest appearances...

The flyby will not have any landers, but there have been landers on the Venus surface previously.

Chinese weapons are certainly present both in the wars in Africa and even in Iberia. However the Technocracy hasn't really caught on yet those places. But that might change.

Hey everyone, the next update will be on the 1984 presidential election. Does anybody care to nominate any candidates?

A Lincoln descendant maybe? RTL should have an eligable grandson by now. If not Great-grandson.

Screw it. Random person here we go:

ROBERT TODD LINCOLN IV....

martin-sheen1.jpg

....yes, you read that right. ROBERT TODD LINCOLN IV

A Lincoln descendant maybe? RTL should have an eligable grandson by now. If not Great-grandson.

Screw it. Random person here we go:

ROBERT TODD LINCOLN IV....

....yes, you read that right. ROBERT TODD LINCOLN IV

I would be willing to entertain a Robert T. Lincoln IV running for office. We would need another photograph though.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Does EA (and do the all of the other commonwealth nations) recognize the British monarch?

If not, I could see the ICR joining EA in the future.

Yes, East Africa does recognize the British Monarch.

Indeed, due to sharing the Swahili language the ICR could be a possible candidate for the EA. However, the EA has strong British influence while the ICR has a Belgian background. Due to its war of independence, the ICR is more radical and militaristic as well.

I would be willing to entertain a Robert T. Lincoln IV running for office. We would need another photograph though.

Any other suggestions?

It seems the Republicans are bound to lose in a 1988-like defeat (with the parties reversed), so I say we have an obscure politician run for president under the Republicans. Perhaps they nominate a southerner, who would most likely win nothing beyond their home state in the South.

As for the Democrats, they should just nominate whoever the Vice President is.

Any other suggestions?

I'd say that everyone might be missing an opportunity, actually.

Perhaps instead:

3cd1318ae546ab48357f565ad14f1a67.jpg

c9c3525bafd3d500295df560bdf32274.jpg

LaurenceFishburne4.jpg

I think it'd be somewhat fitting if one of the first black presidential candidates is one of Honest Abe's descendants. Or at the very least a potential First Lady under Robert IV is black; that'd work as well, I think.

Any other suggestions?

Well, lets have a look.

RTL I: born in 1844
RTL II???: Born in the 1880s maybe
RTL III: Born in the 1910s-1920s maybe.
RTL IV: Born in the 1940-1950s

The above photo of Martin Sheen could work for a Presidential candidate in, say, the 1990s to 2000s. The man would be in his (depending on birth) 50s by then hismelf.

I'd say that everyone might be missing an opportunity, actually.

Perhaps instead:

3cd1318ae546ab48357f565ad14f1a67.jpg

He looks Presidential.
Media Mogul.

This guy is the Head of the FBI. This screams LAW ENFORCEMENT at me.

Well the body count was less than OTL's Vietnam. This is due primarily to the fact that the Congolese rebels did not have a super power benefactor like the North Vietnamese/VC did. Still, it was quite bloody. On von Ritter's statement, sure a lot of people thought it rang hollow. However, others point out that Germany did achieve one of its primary goals of keeping most the Congo Belgian to serve as a buffer state for German Cameroon.

Well the overall death toll might be lower, but I can't help thinking that there'd be a fair degree of atrocity going on in spite of that fact. As far as Germany's goals being achieved is concerned, I suppose in that regard they did grasp their original goal of protecting Kamerun.

Also, I forgot to comment: the Space Race seems to live yet! Awesome to see the IEF make an effort to voyage across the void, even if only to make a loop-de-loop around the planet :cool:

um....I actually meant other candidates. Good pictures but I try to stay away from photographs of well known people from OTL.

How about this one for RTL IV?

ma00158.jpg

I just want to confirm the party ideologies:
Democratic: Populist, Socially Conservative, and Isolationist
Republicans: Socially Liberal, Fiscally Moderate to conservative, internationalist-hawkish.
Right?
Any policy specifics, such as on economic policy and the Iberian Crisis?

Republicans: Socially Liberal, Fiscally Moderate to conservative, internationalist-hawkish.
Right?

I am not sure if Democrats are anymore populist and isolationist. But they are seeminly lesser hawkish as Republicans.

Right?

I am not sure if Democrats are anymore populist and isolationist. But they are seeminly lesser hawkish as Republicans.

I had previously mentioned the party positions as this...

Republican Party: The GOP has a long history of support for civil rights, especially towards African Americans. During times of economic crisis Republicans usually push for an active government response such as federally funded public works projects. Republicans are more likely than Democrats to support free trade and expensive infrastructure projects. In foreign policy, the Republicans show greater support for foreign alliances such as the LAR and a robust military presence.
Democratic Party: Democrats tend to be more socially conservative than Republicans. On economic matters, the Democrats have a strong protectionist side that generates considerable support from labor unions. Concerning foreign policy, the Democrats are more reluctant to enter into agreements with foreign powers and usually aim to keep the military small and at home.

It is important to remember that both parties include people we today would consider liberal or conservative. Both parties will experience a wave of populism from time to time. Concerning the Iberian Crisis, while Republicans are more likely to want to send aid to the rebels than Democrats a majority of both parties are content not to get involved.

Last edited:
Pretty much, both parties have wings which favor more or less government intervention with the Republicans disposed to more and the Democrats less. If that makes sense.

What are the party positions relative to OTL? I think it would be somewhat more left-wing in comparison to OTL due to a smaller military (because the US is not the only superpower ITTL).

Also, is the Republican Party still the party of the military (as it has been since the ACW IOTL) or have the Democrats replaced it as the main militaristic party?