The Union Forever: A TL

What are the party positions relative to OTL? I think it would be somewhat more left-wing in comparison to OTL due to a smaller military (because the US is not the only superpower ITTL).

Also, is the Republican Party still the party of the military (as it has been since the ACW IOTL) or have the Democrats replaced it as the main militaristic party?

I wouldn't say the parties are more left wing than OTL. Sure the military is smaller, but abortion is illegal in most states, English is the national language, and many places have prayer in school. There also isn't any Federally mandated Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid although certain states have versions of these programs.

Historically the military tends to lean Republican, however President Stewart's leadership in the recent war has led for a boost of military support for the Democrats.

Come to think of it, I am surprised that no one on this thread is calling for President Stewart to run for a third term.

I wouldn't say the parties are more left wing than OTL. Sure the military is smaller, but abortion is illegal in most states, English is the national language, and many places have prayer in school. There also isn't any Federally mandated Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid although certain states have versions of these programs.

Historically the military tends to lean Republican, however President Stewart's leadership in the recent war has led for a boost of military support for the Democrats.

Come to think of it, I am surprised that no one on this thread is calling for President Stewart to run for a third term.

It makes sense there is no Medicare/Medicaid because there were no young sickly soldiers to take care of in the 1950s.

I don't think Stewart should run for a third term because of the two term tradition. Sure, it was broken by RTL and other presidents ran for third terms, but it nevertheless sounds wrong.

From what I can tell, it seems that Stewart will be seen like Reagan - a saint to the right and somewhat liked by the left.

Last edited:
Gotta say I've been enjoying the latest updates as always. :cool:

Interesting to see how the Iberian Crisis has been unfolding. I'm happy the rebels in Spain are winning, but not too happy that the rebels in Portugal are losing. Still hoping for some sort of compromise between the King and rebels in Portugal, one that would resolve the latter's grievances and what not.

Good to see the Congo is know sort-off independent. I was hoping the whole country would be unified and independent, but oh well. I have to admit though, the idea of East Africa annexing the ICR and the British Congo and creating a Pan-Swahili Republic is just too awesome of an idea. :cool::D Whether it happens or not we will have to see.

Speaking of Preisdnetal elections, I for one whole-heardelty support Margeret Stewart running for a third term in 1984! :D

It makes sense there is no Medicare/Medicaid because there were no young sickly soldiers to take care of in the 1950s.

I don't think Stewart should run for a third term because of the two term tradition. Sure, it was broken by RTL and other presidents ran for third terms, but it nevertheless sounds wrong.

From what I can tell, it seems that Stewart will be seen like Reagan - a saint to the right and somewhat liked by the left.

Gotta say I've been enjoying the latest updates as always. :cool:

Interesting to see how the Iberian Crisis has been unfolding. I'm happy the rebels in Spain are winning, but not too happy that the rebels in Portugal are losing. Still hoping for some sort of compromise between the King and rebels in Portugal, one that would resolve the latter's grievances and what not.

Good to see the Congo is know sort-off independent. I was hoping the whole country would be unified and independent, but oh well. I have to admit though, the idea of East Africa annexing the ICR and the British Congo and creating a Pan-Swahili Republic is just too awesome of an idea. :cool::D Whether it happens or not we will have to see.

Speaking of Preisdnetal elections, I for one whole-heardelty support Margeret Stewart running for a third term in 1984! :D

Alright, so that's one for Stewart, one for RTL IV, I imagine Jarrod Baumgartner would run for the Technocrats.

Just wondering, would Baumgartner be like OTL Ross Perot who is allowed participate to major presidential discussions and who affect to results.

Speaking of the Technocrats, will any "Green Scare" occur?

Not sure what you mean by "Green Scare". The Technocrats color is Gray/Silver.

I have been thinking about and what the TL's version of Green politics should be called. Any thoughts?

Just wondering, would Baumgartner be like OTL Ross Perot who is allowed participate to major presidential discussions and who affect to results.

Like OTL it would depend on the level of support that Baumgartner would get. He is fairly well liked so I could see him participating in a least a few debates.

Profile: William Seward Lincoln
William Seward Lincoln
1877-1936
200px-Fred-Eaton-inoffice.jpg

Called “Billy” by most of his family, William was the third child of Robert Todd Lincoln and Frances Adeline "Fanny" Seward. Born in 1877, William would follow in his father’s footsteps attending Harvard where he studied business. Unlike his father and older brother, William had a reputation for being a bit of a rake often getting into disciplinary trouble with the faculty. After graduation William soon secured work, with the help of his family’s impressive connections, at the prestigious Durant Railroad and Telegraph Company in New York City. During the Great War, William served a brief stint in the navy as a staff officer in Washington D.C. In the years after the war, William was appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt to help oversee newly acquired Panama as the deputy territorial governor. William would spend nearly 12 years in Panama where he became a fixture of Panamanian high society until revelations about his womanizing prompted his wife Myrtle Carnegie to divorce him in what became a massive tabloid scandal. After leaving Panama, Lincoln held a variety of other jobs before eventually settling as a board member for Conestoga Motors an important American auto manufacturer. William eventually remarried Sarah Farrand, a woman 19 years his junior. William died in 1936, at the age of 59. The cause of death was officially listed as “a weak heart” but rumors of alcoholism or even syphilis circulated. His older brother Abraham Lincoln II gave his eulogy stating “Billy’s life may have been relatively short, but it was no doubt a full one, with all the ups and downs, highs and lows the world has to offer.”

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "Green Scare". The Technocrats color is Gray/Silver.

I have been thinking about and what the TL's version of Green politics should be called. Any thoughts?

By "Green Scare", I mean a scare and some purges of the Technocrats similar to that of the OTL Red Scare. I doubt it would happen in the US, but in regions under threat from Technocrats such as those of the Indian subcontinent, such things may occur

I think you should call TTL Greens "Domicillites" after the Latin word domicillum, meaning "abode".

The best Baumgartner could be, I think, would be electoral success much like that of Ralph Nader.

By "Green Scare", I mean a scare and some purges of the Technocrats similar to that of the OTL Red Scare. I doubt it would happen in the US, but in regions under threat from Technocrats such as those of the Indian subcontinent, such things may occur

I think you should call TTL Greens "Domicillites" after the Latin word domicillum, meaning "abode".

I don't think he meant "what do you mean" as in "I don't understand what you're saying", just that he's unsure why you're blindly assuming that the technocrats use green as their colour. And frankly, I'm a bit baffled by that as well.

Also, that alternate name for the green movement is, put bluntly, bloody awful. Ecologism sounds better in every way, and is in line with what any other language calls it.

The best Baumgartner could be, I think, would be electoral success much like that of Ralph Nader.

I don't think he meant "what do you mean" as in "I don't understand what you're saying", just that he's unsure why you're blindly assuming that the technocrats use green as their colour. And frankly, I'm a bit baffled by that as well.

Also, that alternate name for the green movement is, put bluntly, bloody awful. Ecologism sounds better in every way, and is in line with what any other language calls it.

I'd imagine the Technocrats would be pretty damn green.

Interesting comments. I have to agree with Ares96 that Domicillites is to unwieldy. Ecologist seems to work. Again the Technocrats color is gray/silver, but the ecologists can be green. What do yall think, would the TL's Ecologist parties also have the left wing social justice policies of OTL?

The Technocrats are actually not green. They value "progress" at all costs often at the expense of the environment. Sadly, China will have similar to worse pollution than OTL.

Interesting comments. I have to agree with Ares96 that Domicillites is to unwieldy. Ecologist seems to work. Again the Technocrats color is gray/silver, but the ecologists can be green. What do yall think, would the TL's Ecologist parties also have the left wing social justice policies of OTL?

The Technocrats are actually not green. They value "progress" at all costs often at the expense of the environment. Sadly, China will have similar to worse pollution than OTL.

Ares96 is entirely right, and Ecologist would be a much better name. Perhaps Ecoist is a possible name, because Ecologist sounds like a scientist or something like it.

It would be interesting if we saw right-wing Greens. It's certainly possible, with a platform of "energy independence" or something of the sort.

Maybe if there are right-wing Greens, they could call themselves Freedomites or even Libertarians, in reference to "freedom" or "liberty from nonrenewable energy".

Fair enough; give it 20-25 years and they'll probably be doomsayers re: AGW.

I doubt they will be doomsayers. They'll probably be calling climate change "an anti-scientific lie" or something like it.

MacGregor, could you please answer my question on whether or not Red Scare-like purges could occur to Technocrats?

I doubt they will be doomsayers. They'll probably be calling climate change "an anti-scientific lie" or something like it.

MacGregor, could you please answer my question on whether or not Red Scare-like purges could occur to Technocrats?

Sure thing. The answer is..... Yes, to a degree. Siam and Burma are especially worried about the Technocrats and have been trying to round them up through legal and extra legal means. Indonesia, India, and Japan are doing the same thing to a lesser degree. So yes there is a Grey Scare but it varies from place to place.

Last edited:
Sure thing. The answer is..... Yes, to a degree. Siam and Burma are especially worried about the Technocrats and have been trying to round them up through legal and extra legal means. Indonesia, India, and Japan are doing the same thing to a lesser degree. So yes there is a Gray Scare but it varies from place to place.

Sounds plausible. Could you please do an update on Technocratic economics? I understand it's much like OTL Chinese MBA Communism, but I need more info on it.