Out From Lurkerdom

Wow! This is really awesome so far! I just finished catching up (had to pull a page from Asharella's book and mostly just read Brainbin's posts to do it) and I must say it has been worth the read!

For your statistics:
I was born May 20, 1986

Favorite Star Trek episodes:
OTL (in no particular order)
Balance of Terror
The Enterprise Incident
Assignment: Earth
Day of the Dove
The Doomsday Machine
The Menagerie
The Cage
The City on the Edge of Forever
Amok Time
Journey to Babel
W/ honorable mentions to Space Seed, The Trouble With Tribbles, and A Piece of the Action (for never ceasing to amuse me :D).

TTL:
1. YESTERYEAR! :cool:

Two-part question: Does John Hughes still make movies ITTL, and does Ferris Bueller's Day Off still get made?

Last edited:
For your statistics:
I didn't realize he wanted these, but okay. :)

Birthdate: April 6, 1975

Favorite Star Trek TOS episodes:
(in no particular order)
Mirror, Mirror
Day of the Dove
The Doomsday Machine
The City on the Edge of Forever
Amok Time
The Trouble With Tribbles
Who Mourns For Adonais?
The Omega Glory

Wow! This is really awesome so far! I just finished catching up (had to pull a page from Asharella's book and mostly just read Brainbin's posts to do it) and I must say it has been worth the read!
Welcome aboard, Roger Redux, not only to this thread but also to this forum! Thank you so much for de-lurking just to share your thoughts on my work, they're very much appreciated :) Thanks also for providing your reader demographics and list of favourite episodes - they've already been added to my files. For future reference, though, I only need the year of birth, not the whole date.

Roger Redux said:
TTL:
1. YESTERYEAR! :cool:
Glad that you enjoy my take on "Yesteryear" so much - it's such a great kernel of an idea to start with that it would be difficult not for it to turn it well, IMO.

Roger Redux said:
Two-part question: Does John Hughes still make movies ITTL, and does Ferris Bueller's Day Off still get made?
An excellent question, but one which I will not answer at this juncture, because we may yet explore the alternate career trajectory of Mr. Hughes in a future post :cool:

I didn't realize he wanted these, but okay. :)
Yes, I post inquiries from time to time. Thank you very much for sharing your data! It has been put to good use, and you'll see the results next November.

---

If you haven't already, please don't forget to vote for That Wacky Redhead in the categories of Best Continuing Cold War Era timeline and Best Continuing Character! The polls will close in less than twelve hours, and until then, every vote counts! :) To those of you who have already voted, thank you very much - your support is very much obliged.

As far as the writing goes, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, I have been making great strides on a future post, and I really like how it's been coming along! The bad news is, it's not the next post, which is still half-finished. Unfortunately, when inspiration strikes, it doesn't always hit in exactly the right place...

How are comics at this time? We're reaching the end of the Bronze Age, and several prominent comics, including Secret Wars, The Dark Knight Returns, and Watchmen (which debuted in September 1986, the exact same time this TL ends, so I'm hoping it warrants at least a reference) are to be released soon. With the Comics Code still moderately strong, how might this affect the darker comics of the era? (I know I'm jumping ahead a little, so perhaps give the status circa 1984.)

Brainbin said:
As far as the writing goes, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is, I have been making great strides on a future post, and I really like how it's been coming along! The bad news is, it's not the next post, which is still half-finished. Unfortunately, when inspiration strikes, it doesn't always hit in exactly the right place...

Yeah, I know that feeling all too well. It'll be ready when it's ready, until then we wait 'patiently' (and by 'patiently' I mean we're the 5-year-olds in the back seat going "are we there yet?" for three hours. :D)

Brainbin said:
An excellent question, but one which I will not answer at this juncture, because we may yet explore the alternate career trajectory of Mr. Hughes in a future post :cool:

Fair 'nuff, I look forward to it. :)

Thande

Donor
I had a feeling that that might appear on the thread.

RIP. He lived long and prospered. I'm also glad he came to terms with his popularity as Spock: I know that twenty years ago or so he'd probably have been incensed that news of his death was accompanied by TOS-era photos of him as Spock, but not so much now.

RIP. He lived long and prospered. I'm also glad he came to terms with his popularity as Spock: I know that twenty years ago or so he'd probably have been incensed that news of his death was accompanied by TOS-era photos of him as Spock, but not so much now.

Rest in peace.

He was by far, my favourite Star Trek TOS character.:(

Decloaking

Brainbin,
Just want to say thanks for the awesome series. I am a fairly new member since I just recently discovered AH, the board not the concept. Born in 1943. Can't really comment on favorite episodes of the TOS because it has been so long since I viewed them collectively.

Also join in the recognition of the passing of Nimoy.

Thank you all for sharing such a moving outpouring of remembrances. I was as shocked by the news as all of you were.

I think it's safe to say that Leonard Nimoy touched all our lives through his portrayal of Spock. His impact on popular culture was profound, and from very humble and obscure origins...

Leonard Nimoy, like many Americans, was the child of immigrants. Ukrainian Jewish immigrants, in fact, an ethnicity he shared with a future friend and co-star of his. He was born in 1931, and raised in his birthplace of Boston, where he sold newspapers on the Boston Common during the Great Depression and World War II. But even as a child, he knew his true calling was to act. As with many children who aspire to a career in the performing arts, his parents warned him against it. But he didn't listen. Hollywood beckoned, as it did to so many people mid-century.

Nimoy struggled as an actor for many years. He eventually caught the attention of a cop-turned-writer/producer, Gene Roddenberry, who cast him in his short-lived USMC series, The Lieutenant, as a smarmy, cocksure film producer. Roddenberry would remember him when the time came to cast a "half-Martian" character for a science-fiction series he was developing called Star Trek. Even though NBC rejected the first pilot, they ordered another - and Nimoy was the one constant on-screen presence to carry over into the second.

In many ways, Leonard Nimoy was Star Trek - his affiliation with the franchise has spanned more than a half-century, longer than anyone else. He was the last living person from the original production staff to remain involved with the franchise prior to his death. His character of Mr. Spock came to eclipse his own persona. A trope is named for the first of his two autobiographies, decrying this fact - and for good reason. Nimoy brought so much to his character - the nerve pinch and the salute were his creations. His famous breakdown in "The Naked Time" was improvised - in a single take. He poured himself into Spock so completely that it's easy to see why people would conflate them - and why he would grow to resent that.

After Star Trek was cancelled in 1969, he got a job across the Desilu-turned-Paramount lot at Mission: Impossible, where he played The Great Paris (a replacement for Martin Landau's departed character of Rollin Hand). He left after two seasons, in 1971, for reasons which are unclear - the show continued running through 1973. Perhaps his alcoholism, a problem he battled during the run of Star Trek and well into the 1970s, was a factor, but I can only speculate. The autobiography came out around this time, and when talks of a Star Trek revival emerged, he refused to take part. A transparent ripoff named "Xon" was created to take his place - the first of many, many characters in Star Trek to bear Spock's influence. Nimoy started hosting an anthology series, In Search Of..., instead.

When the Star Trek revival series became a movie in the wake of Star Wars, he agreed to take part. For someone who wanted nothing to do with Star Trek, he sure threw himself into that production, mediating on-set between Roddenberry, his co-writer Harold Livingston, and the director, Robert Wise. He even came back to do a second movie, under the condition that his character be killed off. I think it's safe to say that Spock's death, and his funeral scene, will now play very differently than before, especially since we know that unlike Spock, Nimoy will not be coming back.

However, that great and moving film contains some words of wisdom which I feel sum up this occasion better than any other: He's really not dead... as long as we remember him.

Leonard Nimoy touched so many lives through Spock that even he ultimately could not fail to be moved by it. He is not Spock, but at the same time, he is Spock - his two autobiographies, taken together, collectively got it right. Perhaps the best adjective to describe him is the one which he himself uttered so many times: fascinating. Although he sadly did not live to see the 50th anniversary of the franchise which he came to define as much as it came to define him, his legacy remains eternal. But at this time, my thoughts go out to all those who knew him and loved him.

May peace be upon him.

Of all the characters on Star Trek, I think it's safe to say that Spock is the most recognizable and the most enduring. That's what makes this so hard on all of us.

Goodbye, Mr. Nimoy...it won't be the same without you. :(

However, that great and moving film contains some words of wisdom which I feel sum up this occasion better than any other: He's really not dead... as long as we remember him.

Very well said - a most moving obituary.

Requiescat in pace.

Nigel.