The Q-BAM Improvement and Core Thread

worldmap

Banned
No, I mean maybe the Q-BAM isn't actually Kavrayskiy VII. It's either that or everyone making it fucked up big time.

It seems someone fucked up big time, or named the wrong base map as kavrayskiy 7, so that menas this needed to be discussed sooner or later

Apparently, not even the worlda is quite the Robinson: sorry to quote an old post, but for posterity-
Well, not quite- it's very, very close, but if you take a Robinson map, shrink it down to the same size, and overlay (yes, I've done this; I know, I'm disgusting) they don't-quite-line-up. We can call it Robinson, but it's really more like Robinson mixed with something else, perhaps equirectangular or Wagner VI, for looks, convenience, and the fact that we've always done it that way.

Patch of Germany`s borders on December 31st 1937.
There were a handful of errors (especially the eastern borders), I fixed.

D 1937 QBAM patch.png

More problems:

1) There's a great inconsistency about territorial claims- some are shown and some aren't. Syria's claim to the Golan Heights, Ukraine's claim to Crimea, Venezuela's claim to western Guyana, China's claim to Arunchal Pradesh, India and Pakistan's claim lines in Kashmir, and South Sudan's claim to Abyei are all shown. On the other hand, the disputed ownership of Kafia Kingi, Guatemala's claim to Belize, the Republic of China's various territorial claims, Morocco and the SADR's claims to all of Western Sahara, the various Antarctic claims, and Argentina's claim to the Falklands are all not shown.

2) The West Bank and Gaza Strip are all shown in the same color, which is a bit misleading considering that actual control of these territories is divided between Israel, Fatah, and Hamas.

3) Lakshadweep is not shown in Indian colors.

4) the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are in a weird shade of pink.

5) South Georgia and other British overseas territories are shown in a completely different color to the rest of the UK.

6) Why is ISIL shown on the map, but the Syrian rebels not shown?

7) The French regional borders are outdated.

8) I don't think Bouvet Island is in the Norwegian color.

9) the Prince Edward Island are not displayed as being South African.

10) a pixel on the Kenyan coast is displayed as being terra nullius.

11) the Saudi islands in the Red Sea are displayed as being terra nullius.

12) one of Saudi Arabia's internal borders is a different shade of grey to the rest.

13) I think the South Sudan-Kenya border is wrong. (compare with Google Maps and openstreetmap)

14) some islands on the northern Siberian coast are in a lighter shade of green than they should be.

....I'll stop nitpicking now, because it's a good map.

More problems:

1) There's a great inconsistency about territorial claims- some are shown and some aren't. Syria's claim to the Golan Heights, Ukraine's claim to Crimea, Venezuela's claim to western Guyana, China's claim to Arunchal Pradesh, India and Pakistan's claim lines in Kashmir, and South Sudan's claim to Abyei are all shown. On the other hand, the disputed ownership of Kafia Kingi,

That's shown as far as I can see, the colour for the Kafia Kingi border is in the Sudanese colour on the map isn't it?

Guatemala's claim to Belize,

Also shown. Guatemala claims southern Belize, look at the dark brown line running through Belize.

3) Lakshadweep is not shown in Indian colors.

4) the Andaman and Nicobar Islands are in a weird shade of pink.

I believe they are being shown as territories of India rather than states.

6) Why is ISIL shown on the map, but the Syrian rebels not shown?

He only shows states and entities which claim to be states (and they areas they control. Hence ISIL and Novorussia but not rebels in Syria and Libya (as they aren't claiming to be separate states but separate governments of recognized states).