Back Goes the Sand: Byzantine Victory at Hieromyax (Yarmouk)

Monothelitism
Monothelitism

The doctrine of Monothelitism is a doctrine relating to the divinity of Jesus. The doctrine decrees that Jesus has two natures, but only one will. The doctrine emerged in Armenia and Syria in 629. It would be strictly adhered to and used as a political tool by Byzantine Basileus Heraclius. It was declared the official religion by the Chalcedonian Church in February 638.

The precursor to Monothelitism was Monoenergism, that doctrine said that Jesus had two natures but only one energy. The term energy was left vague on purpose to bring in more support, which worked for a while. However, when the doctrine began to be questioned, the vagueness became a weakness and the prevalence of the doctrine faded. Heraclius, however was not done and soon published the Ecthesis and declared that Jesus did not have single energy, but a single will. The single will was much more defined and once again gained large support in the Empire.

Heraclius used Monothelitism as a tool to end the schism with the Monophysites of Armenia, Syria, and Egypt to stabilize the Empire after numerous wars and rebellions. The Monophysite doctrine is that Jesus has one nature. He promoted it as a compromise doctrine between the Chalcedonian doctrine and the Monophysite doctrine about the divinity of Jesus.

On Christmas day 637 Heraclius called for an official council of all Christians in Rosetta. In January 638 Christian scholars from all over Christendom met at Rosetta and debated what should be the true doctrine of the church. When Pope Honorius arrived early in February, the support for Monothelitism swung into a clear majority along with having all five Pentrarchs supporting the doctrine.

Following the Declaration of Rosetta, the majority of the Byzantine Empire took it in stride. The Greeks of the Empire had no problem with the new doctrine, and many of them had already converted to the doctrine before the Council. The Copts and Armenians also had very little problem with the doctrine, many of the Copts followed their Pope to the new religion and most of Armenia already followed the doctrine. Just when it appeared that the schism was over and life would return to normal, Pope Honorius was thrown into a dungeon by the College of Cardinals and died two months later and was replaced by the anti-Monothelite Pope John IV. This new Pope declared that the Council of Rosetta to be heretical and demanded that Heraclius convert to the pre-Rosetta Chalcedonian faith. Following Basileus Heraclius’ rejection of Pope John IV’s demand, the Lombards, Franks, and Visigoths attacked Byzantine Italy and North Africa. The Byzantines called in their allies, The Coptic League to help fight the Visigoths in Africa. This war, the First Great Schism War would tear Christianity apart once again.

AN
That's the first special for this timeline, hope you enjoyed.

Interesting. First Great schism war? Damn... However, is interesting how without the Arabs in the Mediterranean, tensions between West and East came over theologic issues... Bringing essentially all of known Christianity of the time (except Britannia, but is still delving into petty kingdoms...) at war.

11) Dual of Fates
May 639

The Franks launch another assault on Venezia and are once again repulsed by Byzantine riverboats and garrison. They realize trying to take the city is futile and leave, leaving a 3,000 men force behind to keep the Byzantines in check.

28,000 Franks and Lombards arrive just north of Frosinone, the same day 18,000 Byzantines arrive and make camp just south of the city. Lombard scouts found the Byzantines late that evening and informed the Frankish commander. The next day, the battle began as the Franks circled the city and marched on the Byzantine camp. The Byzantines, however were already prepared to fight. The Franks crashed against the BYzantines in a massive infantry charge. The Franks soon realized that the Byzantines were ready and broke off to reorganize. They began a second attack later in the day until this to was thrown back by Byzantine infantry. The Franks then took positions around the Byzantine camp. The following morning the Byzantines and Franks both attacked each other. This caught both armies by surprise and in the chaos that followed both sides took massive casualties and the Byzantine General Vahan was killed. The Franks eventually broke off and reorganized. They launched another attack later in the day, after an hour of fighting they finally broke through the Byzantine line and the Byzantines were routed. In just two days of fighting the Byzantines lost 10,000 men of their 18,000, the Lombards lost 5,000 of their 8,000, and the Franks lost 5,000 of their 20,000. The Byzantines retreated back to the ruins of Naples to reorganize. The Franks continued to exert more control over the Lombards and regrouped.

The Byzantines begin a mass recruitment program to replenish their losses. The most effective tools included appealing to religious duty and artwork about the destruction of Naples.

The Byzantine-Coptic forces engage the Visigoths at Saldae. On the first day of battle, the Byzantine cavalry attacked the Visigothic cavalry and routed it with little trouble. This was followed by an attack on the Visigothic right flank by the Coptic cavalry and skirmishers, drawing the attention of the entire flank. While they were distracted, the main body of infantry attacked all along the line, the Visigothic left flank and center held fast but their right flank was destroyed and routed. The Copts at this point where exhausted and the Byzantines and Coptis withdrew for the day. The following day, the Byzantines did the same thing that they had done with the Visigothic right to the Visigothic center. This time the Visigoths did not focus on the Copts and waited for the Byzantines to attack. The Byzantines soon joined the Copts with their cavalry and lighter infantry attacking the Visigothic center. This through the Visigothic command into disarray as many commanders wanted to go help their center before it was overrun and others were afraid of the rest of the Byzantine army attacking their left flank and routing them. This resulted in chaos as part of the Visigothic army moved to the center flank and other parts stayed put. The Byzantines then launched their main offensive and plowed through the Visigothic lines, sending the entire army into a rout, to be pursued by the Byzantine and Coptic cavalry. The Visigoths were devastated, they lost 7,000 men in two days. The Byzantines on the other hand lost only 1,000 and the Copts lost 2,000.

With Papal resources focused on the Mediterranean, the British Isles fall into anarchy. Anglo-Saxon Pagans found themselves no longer under attack by Christians and soon began to experience a resurgence among the Germanic areas. This, however tore the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms apart and Brythonic kingdoms were able to breathe easily for the first time in centuries.

June 639

In order to make up for their loss in Italy the previous month, the Byzantines increased the size and scope of their naval raids in Liguria and Tuscany. As these raids became larger and more complex, the troops began to develop their own tactics and gear. This resulted in the birth of the Byzantine Marines. The Marines used hit and run tactics with special emphasis on ambushes and traps. They also used lighter gear than even Byzantine skirmishers, wearing light leather armor and shields made of an incredibly thin metal and a larger but still thin wooden plate behind it with leather straps holding it together. They also had special training in using explosives, these explosives were very primitive and made of a container of greek fire and manure to make a fiery explosion.

The Franks launch raids into Dalmatia, hoping to draw Byzantine resources away from Italy. The raids would prove unsuccessful as what remained of the Theme of Dalmatia’s forces specialized in anti-raider tactics because of their proximity to the Slavs and sent the Franks back easily.

Byzantine reinforcements arrive at the port city of Amalfi, they march up to the ruins of Naples and meet the remnants of the old Byzantine army. This brought the total number of Byzantine troops in Italy to 30,000 active field soldiers and 5,000 in garrisons.

The Visigothic army retreats to Tangiers along the way, they are ambushed many times by Moors further reducing their numbers to 5,000. Reinforcements from Spain boost the number back up to 10,000. A week after their arrival the Byzantines and Copts surround the city and a naval contingent blockade the port. For the next three weeks the Byzantines wait for the Visigoths to act. When they finally do, another 5,000 soldiers had crossed the Straits of Gibraltar and engaged the Byzantines. On the first day of battle the Byzantines are quickly pushed back and a land route to Tangiers is opened for Visigothic supply. By the second day the Byzantines had reorganized for a fight. The Visigoths launch a full assault, hoping to take advantage of their numerical superiority. The fighting was long and brutal. Finally after nearly 6 hours of constant fighting the Byzantines were beginning to withdraw when a Axumite bowman launched what seemed to be an inconsequential shot toward the charging Visigothic army. The arrow, however struck the Visigothic King in the eye, killing him instantly. The armies were to engrossed in their actions to notice however and the remaining 5,000 Byzantines and Copts retreated. Following the battle, the Visigothic army was thrown into disarray when word got out of the king's death. Many generals went home immediately to take care of their estates and those that remained would trickle back over to Spain in the coming weeks. The kingdom, having already been unstable, disintegrated into many smaller states vying for power and the crown.

The Islamic Caliphate sends more Imams to India and Indonesia in hopes of winning converts. The king of Mushika converts to Islam, the first major convert to the religion outside of Arabia.

AN
I hope you all had a very merry Christmas. The war is heating up and many are dying, Britain is falling into anarchy as the Pope is distracted and the Visigoths are disunited, what could happen next? What do you think?

So the Copts mentioned in your update are Axumites right?
Axumites, Nubians and other Coptic Africans. If you look back at one of the maps I've posted they'll be in light blue with Axum being a darker blue. They're a pact of states formed against Muslim expansion in the region with Axum at the head of it.

Well Byzantium got really lucky.

I think the Franks will seek a deal with the ERE, they would reign in North Italy and Rome, and Byzantium in Venice and the South. Seems the most logical choice as both Lombards and Visigoths are in disarray.

Unsuprised the fate of Britannia but maybe is prelude to better times for the island?

On Christmas day 637 Heraclius called for an official council of all Christians in Rosetta. In January 638 Christian scholars from all over Christendom met at Rosetta and debated what should be the true doctrine of the church. When Pope Honorius arrived early in February, the support for Monothelitism swung into a clear majority along with having all five Pentrarchs supporting the doctrine.

Sorry, but this is quite unlikely to happen.

Heraclius had no capacity to force representatives of 'all Christians' to attend any council for starters. In the best case, he could only force those attached to Byzantine authority and even this, probably Monophysites, Nestorians etc. would probably decline to attend it. Not to say most of Nestorians living in Persia, Armenia etc etc.

But not only in the East. Visigothic Church would not attend a Byzantine call unless the Pope would convince them, and never under the direct head of Heraclius.

Sorry, but this is quite unlikely to happen.

Heraclius had no capacity to force representatives of 'all Christians' to attend any council for starters. In the best case, he could only force those attached to Byzantine authority and even this, probably Monophysites, Nestorians etc. would probably decline to attend it. Not to say most of Nestorians living in Persia, Armenia etc etc.

But not only in the East. Visigothic Church would not attend a Byzantine call unless the Pope would convince them, and never under the direct head of Heraclius.
Well, it kinda did happen. The Third Council of Constantinople was called for by the Basileus and was convened. Looking back on it, it might have happened to fast, but it was certainly possible if not probable given that the Empire's resources weren't so focused on the Muslims.

Great so far. So how's the next update coming along?
I've been writing one on the economies of the world, but my school is dumb and has finals in January so I've been studying for those. After that I have FRC Robotics, so I don't know how much of this I'll get done, but I'll try to have a weekly schedule.

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
Well Byzantium got really lucky.

I think the Franks will seek a deal with the ERE, they would reign in North Italy and Rome, and Byzantium in Venice and the South. Seems the most logical choice as both Lombards and Visigoths are in disarray.

Unsuprised the fate of Britannia but maybe is prelude to better times for the island?

I don't think the Pope and the Eastern Emperor are giving up on retaking Rome. Especially after they have effectively lost Naples for a generation. The Franks might just keep north of the Po for themselves and say "you can have the rest if you leave us alone." Hells they'll be lucky not to be excommunicated themselves. Holy war is a serious recruiter and the Byzantine territories are pretty extensive right now. They have naval advantage and the Coptic force can cross to land pretty much anywhere. You aren't far off a reunited Roman Empire. The Franks will be aware that they are the glaring gap in that completion.

Iberia and Britain? Optional extras.

Last edited:
I don't think the Pope and the Eastern Emperor are giving up on retaking Rome. Especially after they have effectively lost Naples for a generation. The Franks might just keep north of the Po for themselves and say "you can have the rest if you leave us alone." Hells they'll be lucky not to be excommunicated themselves. Holy war is a serious recruiter and the Byzantine territories are pretty extensive right now. They have naval advantage and the Coptic force can cross to land pretty much anywhere. You aren't far off a reunited Roman Empire. The Franks will be aware that they are the glaring gap in that completion.

Iberia and Britain? Optional extras.

Fine but the Byzantines would even manage to retake Rome? The Po apparently seems quite out of reach at the moment. They would be even lucky to reach the Tusco-Emilian Appennine ridge.

I think the Byzantines and Copts tamely accepting monothelitism is borderline ASB. Keep in mind, at this point they've been fighting one another over Christ's nature for almost two centuries. Both ultra-chalcedonians and ultra-monophysites scotched the monothelite compromise IOTL, and I haven't seen a reason thus far why that would change.

The irony, of course, is that the one group that OTL did accept monothelitism is now in communion with Rome...

Long-term, North Africa is going to be impossible to hold for the Byzantines if they stay monothelite.

Otherwise, good story; keep it up.

I think the Byzantines and Copts tamely accepting monothelitism is borderline ASB. Keep in mind, at this point they've been fighting one another over Christ's nature for almost two centuries. Both ultra-chalcedonians and ultra-monophysites scotched the monothelite compromise IOTL, and I haven't seen a reason thus far why that would change.

The irony, of course, is that the one group that OTL did accept monothelitism is now in communion with Rome...

Long-term, North Africa is going to be impossible to hold for the Byzantines if they stay monothelite.

Otherwise, good story; keep it up.

Why should be? In early Medieval age, the ERE's christianologic positions shifted various times, depending on the sitting Emperor. Besides is not granted monothelism would consolidate, a new council could flip the table again and also the current war is called "first war of religion" which means things are far to be settled in religious affairs...

And I think for the moment the various christian theological factions in the Empire keep their dissent low in name of unity against the Roman-Barbaric kingdoms of the West. Depending how the Italian theatre will be settled (the North African one seems definitely in favour of the Byzantines) and peace will return in the mediterranean religious tensions would return.

Is not even to exclude a possibility of a settlement between West and East about a new council which would realign Christianity under a more shared line. But that would likely mean reawakening of tensions in the ERE... Anyway I think the final stage of the war in Italy would be pivotal for new religious developments.

Why should be? In early Medieval age, the ERE's christianologic positions shifted various times, depending on the sitting Emperor. Besides is not granted monothelism would consolidate, a new council could flip the table again and also the current war is called "first war of religion" which means things are far to be settled in religious affairs...

And I think for the moment the various christian theological factions in the Empire keep their dissent low in name of unity against the Roman-Barbaric kingdoms of the West. Depending how the Italian theatre will be settled (the North African one seems definitely in favour of the Byzantines) and peace will return in the mediterranean religious tensions would return.

Is not even to exclude a possibility of a settlement between West and East about a new council which would realign Christianity under a more shared line. But that would likely mean reawakening of tensions in the ERE... Anyway I think the final stage of the war in Italy would be pivotal for new religious developments.

I say it's borderline ASB because OTL something like this was tried several times, most notably the OTL monothelite compromise and the henotikon, and it never worked because ultra-chalcedonians and ultra-monophysites caused so much instability--to include violence in the streets and destruction of property--that Emperors had to give it up.

ITTL you have monophysites enne masse fighting for monothelitism, and that just doesn't seem plausible unless Heraclius spent considerable time bashing heads in Egypt first.

There's also a cultural factor: the divisions inEgypt, just for example, between chalcedonian and monophysite were as much cultural as religious, and I can't see monothelitism papering over the cracks for long. In the same way, North Africa is Latin-speaking, and unless the donatists are still hanging around, Catholic down to the toenails. There's a reason Justinian understood any attempt at reconquering the west would have to mean hard-core orthodoxy. As is, Heraclius--a guy who should no better having been Exarch of Carthage back in the day--is running the real risk of an ambitious Exarch with Chalcedonian sympathies just stealing North Africa out from under him.

And all this is not to mention the fact that pushing monothelitism won't go down at all well in the capital. Like I said, there's a reason Heraclius eventually backed off from it.

I say it's borderline ASB because OTL something like this was tried several times, most notably the OTL monothelite compromise and the henotikon, and it never worked because ultra-chalcedonians and ultra-monophysites caused so much instability--to include violence in the streets and destruction of property--that Emperors had to give it up.

ITTL you have monophysites enne masse fighting for monothelitism, and that just doesn't seem plausible unless Heraclius spent considerable time bashing heads in Egypt first.

There's also a cultural factor: the divisions inEgypt, just for example, between chalcedonian and monophysite were as much cultural as religious, and I can't see monothelitism papering over the cracks for long. In the same way, North Africa is Latin-speaking, and unless the donatists are still hanging around, Catholic down to the toenails. There's a reason Justinian understood any attempt at reconquering the west would have to mean hard-core orthodoxy. As is, Heraclius--a guy who should no better having been Exarch of Carthage back in the day--is running the real risk of an ambitious Exarch with Chalcedonian sympathies just stealing North Africa out from under him.

And all this is not to mention the fact that pushing monothelitism won't go down at all well in the capital. Like I said, there's a reason Heraclius eventually backed off from it.

I see your point. But TTL Heraclius is still in a stronger position as he crushed the Sassanids and this counted a lot in the Imperial dynamics. Also he kept in line the Arabians (likely to be seen as a sort of semi-tributary or petty kingdom from Constantinople TTL): which would be perceived surely differently, but still was a stopped raid. Really the only theatre he suffered was Italy but Eraclius was justified by focusing to east.

In substance: a stronger in authority and prestige Eraclius = stronger to impose his will in religious matters TTL.

I suppose I should explain myself on the realism of Monothelitism.

As for how Heraclius was able to hold enough power to go through with the Council of Rosetta, he is a very powerful Basileus. He beat the Sassanid, the historical enemy of Byzantium. He also did not loose all of the Levant to the Caliphate which has two effects: he keeps his prestige for defeating the Sassanids and the other Pentarchs hold more power than in OTL because they have actual power over territory. Heraclius was also able to get the Council called when his ally Pope Honorius was still alive, giving him some more power in the Council of Rosetta.

There are still issues occurring throughout the Empire. That's part of the reason that the Byzantines are outnumbered in Italy at the moment. Many soldiers are being put on police duty to stop any violent revolts.
In Greece and Anatolia many people have converted because of the Council of Rosetta being official church doctrine with their religious leaders vioces having been heard. Not to mention the destruction of Naples, a Greek city, has riled up anger toward the Chalcedonians. In Syria and Armenia, many people already practiced Monothelitism so they are happy with the change. In Egypt, the Copts are content because their Pope signed off on the Council of Rosetta and they won't be persecuted anymore. The Chalcedonians in Egypt may cause trouble, but the Byzantines have troops there in case. In North Africa, there is a rebellion occurring so the Byzantines will need to keep soldiers there if they want to hold the territory.

Overall, I would say that it is possible. Though maybe not probable, which is fine because it's supposed to be entertaining as well as possible.

I suppose I should explain myself on the realism of Monothelitism.

As for how Heraclius was able to hold enough power to go through with the Council of Rosetta, he is a very powerful Basileus. He beat the Sassanid, the historical enemy of Byzantium. He also did not loose all of the Levant to the Caliphate which has two effects: he keeps his prestige for defeating the Sassanids and the other Pentarchs hold more power than in OTL because they have actual power over territory. Heraclius was also able to get the Council called when his ally Pope Honorius was still alive, giving him some more power in the Council of Rosetta.

There are still issues occurring throughout the Empire. That's part of the reason that the Byzantines are outnumbered in Italy at the moment. Many soldiers are being put on police duty to stop any violent revolts.
In Greece and Anatolia many people have converted because of the Council of Rosetta being official church doctrine with their religious leaders vioces having been heard. Not to mention the destruction of Naples, a Greek city, has riled up anger toward the Chalcedonians. In Syria and Armenia, many people already practiced Monothelitism so they are happy with the change. In Egypt, the Copts are content because their Pope signed off on the Council of Rosetta and they won't be persecuted anymore. The Chalcedonians in Egypt may cause trouble, but the Byzantines have troops there in case. In North Africa, there is a rebellion occurring so the Byzantines will need to keep soldiers there if they want to hold the territory.

Overall, I would say that it is possible. Though maybe not probable, which is fine because it's supposed to be entertaining as well as possible.

That's fair enough. I'd actually say the most iffy part is the Copts accepting things tamely because of their Pope supporting it. Despite the similarity in terminology, the Coptic Pope doesn't have as much authority as his Roman counterpart, and a lot of ultra-monophysite monasteries in the Egyptian desert are going to be boiling.

And the Ethiopians were, if anything, more ultra-monophysite.

I think you can probably make it stick for at least a few years, but the wheels could come off in Egypt pretty spectacularly, and in short order, unless Heraclius is almost miraculously lucky.

This is a really good TL though and I'm looking forward to more.