Back Goes the Sand: Byzantine Victory at Hieromyax (Yarmouk)

Map of Middle East?
When The Sassanid Civil War is over.
it is a bit Strange that Caliphate took hardline position against Axum, Axum is the nation where Muhammad send some Muslims when their position in Mecca is threatened. There are many writings from Muhammad time that praise Axum. more diplomatic solution should be possible. demanding Copts in Muslim territory to pay jizya or serve in Muslim army would solve problem and collect tax without it looks Caliphate harassing Christians. Note : why there are Coptic nobles in Somalia ? and protesting ? if they accepted and recognized by Muslims as noble there should be treaty about payment including Jizya. if they are foreigner / merchant then they are protesting is strange, taxing foreigner / merchant should be normal practice.

Chinese tribute : Chinese usually grant 'gift' to tribute-payer, the gift often greater than tribute itself. Kangar should receive something from Chinese. establishment of trade town ? right to send merchant to Chinese capital ? 100.000 bolts of silk ? even if Kangar in far weaker military position, they should still receive 'something'.

Sassanite rebels should be granted a name for easier reading. Khurasanite ? Mazdakite ? Mihranite ? even name of their anti-Shah would do. Shapurite ?
Never heard of the Muslims going to Axum. I do suppose that I'm thinking in a too modern way about people's reaction to events, but what I was thinking when I wrote was that the Caliphate is in a tight monetary situation so they are levying heavier jizya taxes to compensate leading to unrest. The Caliphate also is much more maritime focused because of their defeat in their land expansion, this results in tensions with Axum as they attempt to secure trading dominance in the Indian Ocean. I also suppose I should have been more clear about where the Copts are, I was thinking about Coptic tribes and city-states just to the South East of Axum. I haven't been able to find any information on just how far down Africa that Copts lived, so I assumed there was at least some of them on the northern Somali coast.
Ah yes, I did forget about that, I've added a line about that.
The reason I keep calling them the government and the rebels is because the rebels are just trying to put a puppet on the throne of the same dynasty, so I can't call them by some other dynasty or religious name. I do syppose I could call them Ardashiran or something like that.
What the whole conflict was that is leading to this council is basically a conflict between Monothelitism and Christology. Now I may get this wrong but Monothelitism is basically a more reformed version of the Monophysitism which says that Jesus is literally just God rather than the Son of God and being human, which is what most Christians today believe. Monothelitism is the doctrine that states that Christ has two natures (Man and God) but only has one will where everything Jesus did was a direct action of God or is solely the will of God through Jesus's actions. At the time much of the Eastern Churches, including the Byzantines promoted Monothelitism. Christology is the modern interpretation of Jesus and one that the West and Rome took upon back then where Jesus has not only two natures but two wills, those two wills being his beliefs and ideas in teachings, and those of God that Jesus spreads through his teachings. I know it's really confusing but that's the gist of it.

What happened OTL was that the Byzantine Emperor supported Monothelitism from the 620's to 681 where in the Third Council of Constantinople it was declared a heresy by the majority of Churches, including the Orthodox one. Here I think that the Byzantines might go the route of Christology because of the fact that since Islam is contained in Arabia, there is no need to have a common agreement with the Coptics and Armenians due to the fact that Byzantium still controls these territories and can directly influence its will and ideals of Christiannity upon the populace. I also think that the Emperor might go this roue in order to avoid conflict with the Pope and have a unified Christian stance so that way when Byzantium unified Europe like in Old Rome, then there won't be any heavy theological conflict.
I've looked into the politics of the time and it seems that because Pope Honorius is still alive that their will be success on Heraclius' side. I'd still like to see others opinions on this though.

The schism was a work in progress by this time, no? Eventually the kings in western Europe will nationalize their churches to escape any byzantine influence, so I'm not sure how much this kind of Council will help in the unity of the Church.

6) The Council of Rosetta
February 638

The Bulgarians are unable to capitalize on the Khazar retreat and make a white peace.

Pope Honorius arrives at Rosetta on February 3rd, after being very sick earlier. He uses his influence to swing the council in favor of Monothelitism. For the next three days, the Council crafted their ruling:

1. The Coptic Pope Benjamin will assume Pentarch status in Alexandria.

2. The (former) Patriarch of Alexandria, Cyrus, will be appointed as Patriarch of Egypt and serve under Pentarch Benjamin of Alexandria.

3. The Coptic Church and the title of Coptic Pope will be forfeit.

4. All criminal charges regarding Coptic teachings will be reviewed by Benjamin and Cyrus.

5. Jesus will officially have two natures and one will. All other doctrines will be seen as heretical.
The Byzantine Empire officially signs a treaty of alliance with the Coptic League, which persists as a political and military entity after the Council of Rosetta.

Sassanid rebel forces attack government forces in an attempt to relieve their army under siege at Kermanshah. In the battle that followed, the rebel forces break through the government lines, opening an escape route for the army in Kermanshah. As the evacuation was under way the Sassanids surrounded the rebels, taking the mountain passes and assaulting the rebels. The rebel army was annihilated, and the rest fled into the countryside, losing all discipline. In the battle of Kermanshah, the rebels lost 30,000 soldiers including many of their best generals and leaders. The government lost only 7,000 men. The battle would throw the rebels back onto the defensive.

The Caliphate connects its possessions in Africa by conquering more coastal areas between The Swahili Coast and Somalia. They also begin preparations for an Indian expedition.

AN
Sorry for such a short update, but I'd like to make sure such an important aspect of the Classical/Medieval World is represented accurately. Please tell me what you think!

Interesting timeline. Subscribed of course.

I can understand the necessity of the Caliphate to expand towards the Indian Ocean at a very fast timing, but isn't too fast? ( But I guess being the Eastern African coast populated by various split tribes shouldn't be too much difficult in the end)

Or having a fleet to substain the African expansion and already an expedition in India (guess Gujarat or Sindh if not for being the most nearest lands from Arabic peninsula albeit Deccan would be cool but improbable)?

I can surmise the ERE or Persia would sell wood to the Caliphate at high prices, considering both need to support their own navies and their constructions.

I'd say the south Arabian peoples and Somalis would provide the know-how for Indian Ocean maritime trade and naval warfare. Not sure how much they'd hold up to the greater powers at the time, although they did survive for a long time.

Other than that, I'm wondering how Makuria, Alodia, the Blemmyes, and the Beja (partially Christianized) are doing with Axum asserting itself in the region to counter the Rashidun Caliphate. Nubia should probably be wary. Alodia should be watching Axum and the Beja and Blemmyes might try raiding all along the eastern desert. Not sure what Makuria would be doing. It's possible that the Caliphs might contact or use some Beja and Blemmye tribes along with Alodia to distract or counter Axum's growing influence in the horn. It's not like the eastern desert tribes wouldn't like the payment the Caliphs might incentivize them with either.

Also curious how an increasingly Nestorian presence is changing things.

7) Rebel Schemes and a New Pope
March 638

The Caliphate faces increased raids from both the non-muslims in Arabia and the native Africans in their African possessions, drawing away soldiers from the Indian expedition.

Pope Honorius returns to Rome to find an angry College of Cardinals. The cardinals believe that Monothelitism is a heresy and demand that the Pope declare it and reverse the Council of Rosetta. The Pope refuses and is imprisoned by the cardinals.

Byzantine and Axumite relations continue to improve and they sign a trade agreement with one another. This worries other members of the Coptic League as they begin to fear the League turning into Axumite satellite states.

The Sassanid government begins a general attack on the rebels, pushing them back nearly 30 miles. Despite the large offensive no major battles took place.

April 638

Axum, in order to increase its credibility among the Coptic League, declares a series of reforms to increase the power of other kingdoms and tribes amongst the League. This was mostly ceremonial, but the reforms also gave more representation for the smaller tribes.

The Caliphate and Byzantine Empire make a secret agreement with the Sassanid rebels for military assistance.

1. The Byzantines and the Caliphate will invade Sassanid Armenia and Mesopotamia when called upon by the rebels.

2. The Caliphate will gain the territory up to and around the Arvand Rud, including the city of Uballa and the Sassanid territory on the Arabian Peninsula.

3. The Caliphate will gain trade benefits on the Persian Gulf and will be able to end Sassanid benefits in the Arabian Peninsula.

4. The Byzantines will annex Armenia, Albania, and small amounts or territory near Syria.
May 638

Pope Honorius dies of an illness while imprisoned in Rome. The College of Cardinals convenes and appoints a new Pope in just one day, leading to some suspicions on how Honorius died. The new Pope takes the name John and becomes Pope John IV.

The Caliphate sends its navy along the Indian coast and sets up trade posts and garrisons them, diplomats begin talks for favorable trade deals amongst the local kingdoms. With military muscle behind them they manage to succeed, and where they didn't they took by force.

The Byzantines begin preparing their thematic armies to invade the Sassanid Empire, running military drills. They also move more of their standing army to the border.

AN
Well, that's that. I had a bunch of homework so I needed to focus on that for most of the day, but my school was canceled for tomorrow :D so I'll write a big section tomorrow.

I wonder who between the Lombards and the Byzantines would take advantage of the chaos in Rome.

Also, even if there is still a century ahead, I wonder from now if Baghdad will be butterflied or not; because, even assuming the Caliphate will seize (and has to seize if wanting to survive) Mesopotamia and creating Iraq, Medina or another city in Arabia, especially on the coast, can be still the capital, because 1) is just Arabia with a strip of East African coast hence an Empire focused on the Indian Ocean could still keep the administrative center in Hejaz 2) Even if Iraq would be wealthier and more populated placing a capital in a region between the Byzantine anvil and the Persian hammer (whatever would rule in Persia; is not impossible the Caliphate would prevail in the end but I think the Turks would take the place of the Sassanids). Still is also true future caliphs could prefer to rule in the region which give them the biggest assets (manpower, resources etc).

Hence the interesting point: if the Caliphs will manage to secure Mesopotamia/Iraq, would be able to defend it across the centuries? OTL failed, maybe TTL could have some chances if the Byzantine Empire will be friendly to them (hence saying goodbye forever to the Mediterranean).

Otherwise, Arabia can become a great naval power: I don't see impossible a Muslim South Africa in one, two centuries at least, maybe turning in the Al-Andalus of TTL - with thr advantage of being a virgin land. I won't push so far to claim a Muslim early discovery of Australia but I am really convinced the survival of Islam and Arabia can come from the sea.

True is also from Red Sea the Byzantines can have similar ideas of expansion... Besides Malacca was already reached by Roman merchants. But I am not fully convinced of the stability and loyalty of Egypt in the future (plus would be a bit too much clichè as right now Byzantium is already in wank status).

8) Out With the Old War, in With the New
June 638

Pope John IV declares the Council of Rosetta to be heretical and that the “true Church of God” will not follow its “demonic doctrine.” He then called a new council, this one only comprising of western clergymen. It would be held in Ravenna.

The Sassanid government launches an attack at Nahavand. Over 30,000 men were involved in the attack, up against 9,000 defenders. The government launched a cavalry charge, forcing the rebels to retreat. When the rebels retreated, they brought the government cavalry into an ambush, inflicting heavy casualties and routing the cavalry. This was followed by an encirclement of the advancing government forces, where many men were cut down on both sides before the government retreated. The government lost nearly 20,000 men in the attack while the rebels lost 5,000 men. Having this victory on their side, the rebels called their allies to war.

July 638

Byzantine soldiers cross the border into Sassanid Armenia and Mesopotamia, meeting little resistance. The Caliphate finds heavier resistance but is still able to put Uballa under siege and take many other ports in the Persian Gulf still under control of the Sassanid government.

Patriarchs Cyrus and finish reviewing heresy charges regarding the Coptic Church.

The Kangar Khanate invades the Empire of Harsha in India, rolling over the realm’s soldiers and fortifications with their superior horsemanship.

The Council of Ravenna convenes and quickly comes to agreement the Monothelitism is heretical and that Basilius Heraclius should be excommunicated. So they issue a warning to Heraclius; revoke Monothelitism and overturn the Council of Rosetta, or be condemned to hell for all eternity.

August 638

The Shahanshah of the Sassanid government, Yazdegerd III, declares his abdication and flees to the Steppe with his family, closest advisors, and guards. The remaining Sassanid government surrenders to the rebels, marking the end of the Sassanid Civil War.

Basilius Heraclius recieves word of the Ravennan ultimatum. In response he declares Pope John IV to be illegitimate and names Patriarch Cyrus as the legitimate Bishop of Rome.

The Kangar Khanate and Harsha Empire sign a peace treaty giving the Khanate the rest of the Indus River Valley and surrounding territory.

September 638

The Byzantines, Muslims, and Sassanids meet in Ctesiphon. They sign a treaty making the agreement official and agree to resume the truce established by the Treaty of Damascus.

The new Sassanid government relocates to Istakhr, the government was officially run by the old Shahanshah’s nephew Ardashir, but was really controlled by the Regency Council made up of the nobility that rebelled in the war.

Pope John IV excommunicates Basilius Heraclius and Patriarch Cyrus, causing a schism between the East and West. He also declares the Treaty of Bari to be abolished, leading to the Lombards invading the Byzantine Themes in Italy.

Afro-Eurasia after the Sassanid Civil War:

DCnGv2ySWONpWVng9hdqMsxhMl9haTwXZ4K_E2wDD2At-n0rPO4Vgeu6Ubk0o3h7xOxGpbTmiQlz7ExjY7SutbctnR-YBjyjGNjBMbgzCZhQ_EkoSmBGMxhr4ZSHACGG0cmlYJUT

AN
Well that's that. A lot of big stuff happened so please tell me how you think it's going. Also please note that I read every comment on here even if I don't reply to them. Ill also try to post another post later today if I have the time, if I do it will be smaller. Cheers!

9) The Papal League
October 638

The Lombards occupy much of the Byzantine Italian countryside and have sieges on most of the cities. The Byzantines quickly transport troops from the Sassanid border to Sicily and Dalmatia to begin preparations for a counter attack. Meanwhile what naval forces they can spare are sent to secure supply routes to port cities, such as Naples and Venice. The Coptic League also declares war on the Lombards and begin to muster what troops they can spare.

The Caliphate begins to exert more influence in India, gaining more trade privileges with the local kingdoms. Imams and other religious people establish Mosques in their enclaves.

The new Sassanid government puts down the last holdouts of the old regime. The former Shahanshah reaches China and offers the Emperor his services in the Tang army.

November 638

Pope John IV begins to conference with the Frankish King Dagobert to enter the war with the Byzantines. In exchange for Frankish support, Dagobert demands that he is named Emperor of Rome. Pope John IV agrees and the Franks enter the war, however it would take a while for the troops to be raised.

The Lombards sack Naples. After the Lombards realized a siege would be useless because of the Byzantine’s naval supply route, they launch an assault on the walls and after over three hours of constant assault they broke through and burned the great city to the ground and killed the Neapolitan Strategos and his advisors.

The last Pagan Arab tribes are subjugated by the Caliphate.

December 638

The Lombards take many other coastal cities via assault and many of them are sacked, none however to the extent of Naples.

The Frankish armies amass in southern Burgundy and begin to ready themselves to enter Italy.

Pope John IV begins to conference with Visigothic King Chintila. After two weeks, the King agrees to enter the war in exchange for the Byzantine Theme of the Isles and Carthage.

The Byzantine armies finish being redeployed to Sicily and Dalmatia and prepare to invade Italy.

January 639

The Frankish army enters Italy and marches toward Venezia.

Frankish Emperor Dagobert I dies of natural causes. His eldest son, Sigebert I takes the throne of Roman Empire and is crowned by the Pope during his father’s funeral procession at the abbey of Saint-Denis.

The Visigothic army crosses the Straits of Gibraltar and begins capturing local cities on their way to Carthage. Because of the warfare, the Byzantines hear about the approaching army and redeploy the Coptic army to Carthage.

The Byzantine navy conducts raids on Lombard cities all along Italy in preparation for the invasion.

The Sassanid government begins the construction of stronger fortifications on their eastern border to secure it against the Kangar Khanate.

February 639

The Byzantines launch invasions of Italy in Foggia and Naples. When they enter Naples they find a desolate city ruin with few people remaining, Imperial artists arrive the day after the army and begin producing propaganda for the Empire. Both armies plow through what resistance the Lombards put up. Both armies converged at Benevento and took the city with no resistance.

The Frankish army reaches Venezia and attempts to enter the city. However, the Franks are pushed back by the local garrison and warships of the lagoon city. The Franks make camp only a mile from the lagoon and decide to make another attempt in March.

The Coptic army is attacked by locals as they march across the Byzantine Theme of Carthage. Most of the local population supported John IV against Monothelitism and was determined to end Monothelite rule of the Theme. The Coptic army meets up with the Carthaginian Thematic army and begins a campaign against the rebels.

The Visigothic army continues to conquer more cities in the Maghreb. Many local lords form an alliance and begins amassing an army to send the Visigoths back to Hispania.

AN
Well. obviously I did not find time to put another post yesterday. All I had at the end of last night was October so I didn't post it. Anyway, the war is on! I still don't know who will win the war, so that's something to be discussed. Anyway, reviews are always appreciated.

Last edited:
This looks like it's going to be an interesting war. I'm wondering on troop numbers though. How many forces do the Romans have in the area, compared to the goths, franks and Lombard? Also, how are the Romans doing financially?

Well I honestly hope for a 'quadruple game of thrones' in the Mediterranean basin, between Visigoth Iberia, Frank Gallia, Lombard Italy in the west and Byzantine Empire in the east. Would make things more balanced and interesting...

10) Italian Waring
March 639

The Byzantines lift remaining sieges in Apulia and Calabria as the Lombards bring their armies together to fight the Byzantines at Benevento.

The Franks make two more attacks on Venezia and are repulsed both times.

The rebels in Africa ambush the Copts and Carthaginians in a mountain pass, killing nearly a quarter of their forces. This loss sends the Copts and Carthaginians fleeing to Cirta, the rebels harassing them the entire way.

The Visigoths are attacked by the combined armies of the local Moors. The 20,000 strong Visigothic army is trounced after only a day's battle by the 30,000 Moors. The remaining 15,000 Visigoths retreat back to Caesarea. The remaining 29,000 Moors believed they had ended the Visigothic threat and dispersed.

April 639

The Lombard army moves on the Byzantine army and meets them in the hills near Potenza. For the first two days of the battle only skirmishes took place as both sides attempted to take defensive positions. On the third day, the Byzantines took full control over the largest ridge and dug in. As they constructed wooden fortifications and anti-cavalry traps, the Lombards launched their assault. As the Lombards crashed against the only somewhat organized Byzantines the Byzantine General Vahan took his cavalry around the entire Lombard army and hit it from behind, turning the tide of the battle and keeping the highground under Byzantine control. The Lombards managed to pull back to their encampment before to much damage could be done to them and prepared to attack the next day. On the fourth day of the battle, the Lombards attacked once more. This time, rather than a full frontal assault, they attacked the very ends of the Byzantine fortifications and broke through on both ends. For the next hour, the Byzantines fought to send the Lombards back out of their fortifications until they realized it was futile and retreated to a more secure hill. The Lombards couldn’t press the advantage as Byzantine archers rained arrows into them as the infantry retreated. The Lombards made a new encampment at the old Byzantine defenses and retired for the night. On the morning of the fifth day, the Byzantines attacked the Lombards as they were sleeping and slaughtered them. Among the dead was the Lombard King Rothari. The Lombards would melt away, running for their lives and being chased down by Byzantine cavalry. The Lombard realm was devastated, their largest army was destroyed with only 8,000 men remaining ready to fight of the original 20,000, the rest having deserted, been captured, or been killed. They also lost their King, and his son was only a year old and in no way capable of taking over the Kingdom. Lombardy soon fell into anarchy, with only 15,000 troops ready to defend their realm from the Byzantines.

The Franks split their army and sent the larger part to meet up with what remained of the Lombard forces north of Rome.

More Coptic troops arrive in the Theme of Carthage and combine with the already present army and continue to march to the border. Along the way they are raided by rebels many times until they forced an open confrontation near a nameless oasis. The battle lasted a mere half hour, the Byzantines launched a cavalry charge followed closely behind by their infantry and the rebels fled and were pursued by the cavalry. The army continued and reached the border of the Byzantine Empire.

The Visigothic army goes back on the march toward the Byzantine Empire, this time not attempting to take Moorish towns and was able to reach the Byzantine border. The Visigothic and Byzantine armies squared off near Saldae.

The Situation in April 639:

Zf-kowZJnYQcjfhq9lBgZx2_X9qSzaG6xR7LlepwRa8WrdmoxVHAcvHRJFOe-RC5uvm4LEw9Uewv_zv_LFHwurYVY0Wm0xyyGMPF9165RigVJzY_E2tae8QNuawyVWWp-_SDCoAG

AN
Welp, life. That's all I really have to say about the delay. Hopefully the battles make up for it. I think I am going to start doing a special every week about a certain topic. This Sunday I'll write one on Monothelitism.

Last edited:
Major question.Where does the Visigoths,Franks and the Lombards get a navy from?These were not sea faring folks and international trade was not that prominent for them either to be able to conscript enough merchant vessels.They would neither have the crew nor the ships to man the fleet you described.Also,handwaiving the plausibility of them getting such a oarge navy,trying to use their amateur fleet to raid as far as the Aegean is downright insane.They should have used it to blockade the besieged Roman cities in Italy.

Final comment is that the casualties looked way too high.The Romans basically lost over half their fleet even though they've won to an amateur navy.

Last edited:
Major question.Where does the Visigoths,Franks and the Lombards get a navy from?These were not sea faring folks and international trade was not that prominent for them either to be able to conscript enough merchant vessels.They would neither have the crew nor the ships to man the fleet you described.Also,handwaiving the plausibility of them getting such a oarge navy,trying to use their amateur fleet to raid as far as the Aegean is downright insane.They should have used it to blockade the besieged Roman cities in Italy.

Final comment is that the casualties looked way too high.The Romans basically lost over half their fleet even though they've won to an amateur navy.
Well a large amount of the ships that the Franks, Visigoths, and Lombards would be using wouldn't be much larger than a fishing boat. They also could have hired mercenaries from the Maghreb, Germany, and the British Isles. I may have made the fleet sizes and losses to high, I was mostly thinking the ships on both sides wouldn't be larger than a Galley. Either way, I suppose I am wrong, so I have deleted the Battle of Lesbos and related parts.

Well a large amount of the ships that the Franks, Visigoths, and Lombards would be using wouldn't be much larger than a fishing boat. They also could have hired mercenaries from the Maghreb, Germany, and the British Isles. I may have made the fleet sizes and losses to high, I was mostly thinking the ships on both sides wouldn't be larger than a Galley. Either way, I suppose I am wrong, so I have deleted the Battle of Lesbos and related parts.
Most certainly not the Roman navy.Did you know that the Roman navy single handedly saved Constantinople by obliterating small boats trying to ferry Persian troops to Europe during the last Roman Persian War by using proper warships?There's no way the Barbarian coalition could have seriously wrecked the Roman navy with the same crap.As for mercs,the international network is far from advanced enough to do that on the scale you are writiing.Neither are the people of places you have mentioned full of skilled sailors and warships either.So yeah,your decision to delete the naval battle is correct.

Last edited:
Most certainly not the Roman navy.Did you know that the Roman navy single handedly saved Constantinople by obliterating small boats trying to ferry Persian troops to Europe during the last Roman Persian War by using proper warships?There's no way the Barbarian coalition could have seriously wrecked the Roman navy with the same crap.As for mercs,the international network is far from advanced enough to do that on the scale you are writiing.Neither are the people of places you have mentioned full of skilled sailors and warships eitherSo yeah,your decision to delete the naval battle is correct.
Yeah, when I was writing that part I was thinking a little to much into the future, like three centuries where Vikings raided Rome and whatnot. Thanks for the correction!