2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that Texas elected its governors in what would be off-years in our timeline, that is, 1994, 1998, 2002, etc., the years wherein presidential elections are held on the West Wing.
That is true, but I have changed it as did the writers in the series did for Florida Governors, in the real world they are as the same as Texas, and in West Wing Presidential election years, but it was confirmed that Florida in the West Wing world holds its elections in 1996 (confirmed that Robert Ritchie won the Florida Governship in that year), 2000, 20004, and 2008.
As for term limitsI admit I thought Texas Governors where term-limited so I assume that Texas has term-limits in the West Wing World.

That is true, but I have changed it as did the writers in the series did for Florida Governors, in the real world they are as the same as Texas, and in West Wing Presidential election years, but it was confirmed that Florida in the West Wing world holds its elections in 1996 (confirmed that Robert Ritchie won the Florida Governship in that year), 2000, 20004, and 2008.
As for term limitsI admit I thought Texas Governors where term-limited so I assume that Texas has term-limits in the West Wing World.

We can probably assume that after whatever event caused Presidential elections to be off-kilter, elections in Florida and Texas were changed accordingly. Most states purposely offset their election from the Presidential one to drive up attendance for the midterms, so this would likely happen in the real world.

The Times, Wednesday February 21st 2007
Bomb kills thrity-five US/UK Peacekeepers in Gaza
A road side bomb killed 35 US and UK Peacekeeprs when a road side bomb destroyed the armouned personnel carrier they where patrolling in.
The mixed United of US Marines and British Paratroopers, was destroyed yesterday afternoon on a patrol in the down town area.
President Santos and Prime-Minister Graty expressed their sorrow at the deaths, but it would not stop the "American and British Mission of peace".

CNN.COM, Friday February 23rd 2007
First Poll strong for President Santos
New Hampshire-In the first state poll conducted after President Santos inauguration, a solid majority of New Hampshire adults approve of how he has performed so far as President. Currently, 71% say they approve of the job Santos is doing while just 15% disapprove and 14% are neutral.

CNN.COM Saturday February 24th 2007
Former First Lady "Qumar Exceutions are something we should do here"
Former First Lady Libby Lassister is in trouble again, after making comments to reporters, that following the public stoning to death of two homosexuals in Qumar last week, "is something we should do here," and "is one of the things Islam gets right".
Her comments drew a furious reponse from several quarters. Former Vice President Robert Russell, who has a gay nephew called her remarks "outrageous, and offensive to all Americans", and Gay Republican Congressman Matt Skinner "If she things publicy stoning to death two people because of they sleep with is ok, than words fail me".

Last edited:
CNN.COM Saturday February 24th 2007
Former First Lady "Qumar Exceutions are something we should do here"
Former First Lady Libby Lassister is in trouble again, after making comments to reporters, that following the public stoning to death of two homosexuals in Qumar last week, "is something we should do here," and "is one of the things Islam gets right".
Her comments drew a furious reponse from several quarters. Former Vice President Robert Russell, who has a gay nephew called her remarks "outrageous, and offensive to all Americans", and Gay Republican Congressman Matt Skinner "If she things publicy stoning to death two people because of they sleep with is ok, than words fail me".

A timeline note: this incident occurred almost two years prior to her statement against Skinner "and his ilk" at the California Women's Luncheon. That's alright, because the article specifically said she had made similar comments in the past.

Washington Post, February 23rd, 2009
Book Review: 'No Exit' By Cmdr. Kate Harper

In a mere one hundred pages, Commander Kate Harper, the former Deputy National Security Advisor in the Bartlet Administration, thoroughly covers the current state of affairs in the Middle East and lays out ideas for solutions. As an aide to President Bartlet, she was instrumental in the 2005 Camp David Accords, and her knowledge and depth are on full display.

Despite the title, 'No Exit' is actually a well-thought out optimistic study of the regional issues, with a slight liberal balance. Some Republicans, such as a certain West Virginian Governor, have been quick to dismiss the book in public as a "Bartletista's" re-envisioning of history, but I believe they are sorely mistaken. Harper betrays this mantra with some criticism of the accords and Bartlet's compromises, albeit in a non-animus way.

Harper, who has been in quasi-retirement since 2007, has been riding the talk show circuit to promote the book, appearing on The Daily Show and Taylor Reid within the past week. She will be in Washington at the Capitol's Barnes & Noble's for a book signing on the 28th, before heading off to the opening of the Josiah Bartlet Presidential Library on March 4th.

Los Angeles Times, February 23rd, 2009
Top Contributors to "The Centre" Leaked

The American Vice-President Historical Centre, simply known in Washington as "The Centre," which is a privately-funded endeavor, has had it's contributions leaked to the press. Reports are sketchy as to why it was released, but some interesting information has been presented.

The top contributor is Senator Roland Pierce (D-ME), a former Vice President himself and scion of a rich New England family. His donation of $3 million forms the basis of the Centre. Senator Pierce, who has stated he will retire after the 2012 election, suffered a devastating heart attack two years ago and currently has most of his activities coordinated by his aides.

Among the contributors who've sent in over $500,000, one of the more surprising donors was former Secretary of State and Senator Lewis Berryhill (D-NY). Berryhill, who many have speculated was a candidate for Vice President under President Bartlet multiple times, has been noted for snubbing the new administration of President Santos. Currently a Professor at Columbia University, and self-professed "retired from politics," many military buffs were dismayed when Governor Eric Baker, who has no military experience, was chosen over Berryhill, a highly decorated Vietnam veteran.

The Centre is permanently chaired by any former Vice Presidents. Vice Presidents Hoynes and Russell, who helped Pierce start the fundraising in 2007, former primary adversaries, have begun a working relationship centering around the Centre. Russell, who runs the self-titled Bob Russell Think Tank, has invited Hoynes to participate, and Hoynes negotiated a walk-on role in his co-written film "The Oval" for Russell.

Berryhill's close ties to The Centre have led many to wonder what he gains from donating to Pierce's, Hoynes', and Russell's cause or if he merely has an interest in the history of the American Vice Presidency.

Excellent Tim, some more 2007 stuff coming later this week.
I look foward to the opening of the Bartlet Presidential library, also Bartlet has been Jakarta just before the opening because Kate says "Good Job".

CNN. COM, Monday February 26th 2007
Congressman Fields interviewed by FBI over campaign bribes
Texas Congressman Tim Fields, a personnel friend of President Santos and decleared candidate for Texas Governor next year has been interviewed by the FBI over claims made in a tabloid newspaper that he took bribes from two major campaign supporters in return for the supporters companies gaining two large federal government contracts.
Congressman Fields spokesman said "He has not been arrested, and is willing to help the FBI in anyway he can, and he denies the claims".

I like where the Fields story is going.

Here's a story that really has nothing to do with the 2010 election, but is interesting nonetheless:
BBC.com, Thursday, February 26, 2009
Indonesia Government Shutdown
The Republic of Indonesia officially shut down it's offices Wednesday following an impasse between President Siguto and Chairman Kharis of the People's Consultative Assembly regarding the national budget. Kharis, speaking for the Assembly, said that Siguto's economic policies were unsound and drastic measures need to be taken to guarantee a prosperous and profitable future for Indonesia.

Other governments have taken alarm at Indonesia's shutdown. Liberal Party leader Sir Richard Compton stated that a "state of 'mutually assured destruction' must at some point lead to rational decisions between these warring politicians."

The last major government shutdown was that of the United States in 2005. In response, or perhaps in spite of this, US Secretary of State Arnold Vinick has personally committed to sending the "best and brightest" of America's economic and diplomatic minds to Jakarta to solve the impasse. No word yet as to who may be on Vinick's diplomatic team.

MSBC.COM Wedbesday February 28th 2007
Fields "I have done nothing wrong"
Congessman Tim Fields at a press conference today after being questioned by the FBI over claims that he took "kick-backs".
The focus is on two companies. Maxtrain IT was awarded a multi-million dolar computer contract for the Commerence Department, the House Commitee which oversaw the award of the contract was chaired by Fields. Maxtrain is owned by Ken Douglas, who has contributed to Fields last two House campaigns. The second case envolves the award of a printing contract for the Inter-State Commerence Commission to Spencer Print Ltd. One of Spencer Prints Directors is Aaron Wells, who like Douglas has backed Fields campaigns.
"I have done nothing wrong, and told the FBI that. I have offered them full access to my bank accounts, and personnel finanances. These contracts where won by those companies legally. All procedures where followed. The paper documents in the forms of tender documents, bid documments, letters and minutes are all documented. I have done nothing wrong".
Asked if these claims have come out, because he has announed his intention to seek the Texas Governship next year, he replied "Yes, I do", whilst not accusing anyone direct, it was a clear hint that be belives it to be dirty tricks against him and derail his campaign before it has begun.

Last edited:
NSBC.COM Wedbesday February 28th 2007

NSBC.com? Is that a fictional newssite? Anyways, it tried to upload a trojan onto my computer, so anyone reading this should not try going there.

Anyways...

Drudge Report, Saturday, February 28, 2009
Economic Team Leaves for Jakarta

Secretary Vinick's bipartisan economic team left this morning for Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, for an emergency summit to settle the budgetary impasse that led to the Indonesian government's shutdown on Wednesday.

Vinick is accompanied by six senior statesmen and economists:
  • President Jed Bartlet - Former President and Nobel Laureate in Economics
  • Governor Andrew Wu - North Carolina Republican Governor noted for making economics his top issue
  • Dr. Yosh Takahashi - Nobel Laureate in Economics and one of the leading minds in modern conservative ideology
  • Dr. Harold Washington - Chief Economist at the Manchester Institute and proponent of minority rights
  • Patricia Calhoun - Republican Chairman of the Federal Election Commission and former Director of the Office of Management & Budget under President Lassiter
  • Hon. Lesley Cryer - Deputy Secretary of Commerce and one of the Economic Advisers to President Santos

Former President Bartlet has maintained close ties to the Indonesian government since a state dinner with President Siguto ten years ago. Vinick has stated that he will let Bartlet lead the negotiations, which will be joined by teams from the UK, France, and Japan.

Bartlet's trip to Jakarta, which interrupts a publicity tour to promote his soon-to-open Presidential Library, has been criticized from some top Republican politicians. Governor Ray Sullivan, who was Vinick's running mate in 2006, stated that "most of our economic woes date to the Bartlet years. He has quite the gall to try to force our economy on the Jakartans."

Congressman Jeff Haffley, the former Speaker of the House known for his rivalry with Bartlet during his second term, has stated that "backing down from the US shutdown was my biggest failure, and this 'Chairman Kharis' should learn from my mistake and not bow down to the 'magnificent Bartlet' and his political cronies."

The timeline of the negotiations are unclear, as the Indonesian government has refused to set any time tables. Presumably, Bartlet will be back in the states to attend the opening of his Presidential library next Wednesday.

Rolling Stone, March 2009 Edition
Hoynes On Hollywood

11 years ago, to the day, Rolling Stone officially endorsed Senator John Hoynes of Texas for the United States Presidency. Although the endorsement didn't quite work out, John was always ready and willing to provide us with his insight and views in the six interviews he has provided to our magazine.

While his political career isn't quite the center of the conversation, Hoynes is still a national figure, with charitable work, his recent novels, and an up-and-coming screenwriting career. We met with John at his home in Dallas.

Rolling Stone [RS]: Good afternoon, Mr. Vice President. How are you doing today?

John Hoynes [JH]: I'm doing just great, Susan. How's Rachel doing?

RS: She's doing good. Tell us a little bit about your upcoming movie, The Oval.

JH: Right to the point, I like that. Well, The Oval is the story of a grassroots movement to elect a young Democratic idealist and his fight against pragmatism once he arrives at, "the Oval." The movie is very closely based on my novel, released two years ago. And available in bookstores near you. [laughs]

RS: The movie focuses on the first African-American president. Was the novel and the film based on the ascendancy of President Santos?

JH: I'd be lying if I said there weren't any fictionalized versions of real-life events. The President in The Oval is a conglomeration of myself, President Santos in a way, and many other recent political figures. Much of the novel was written before President Santos became a serious contender for the Presidency, so it was something of an coincidental prelude to that election. In fact, I probably wasted too much of my time writing the novel and not enough time running for the nomination. [laughs]

RS: Some say you've been ostracized from Washington politics, that you're running away to California to salvage your reputation.

JH: I'm surprised, Susan. 'Ostracize' is a very strong word. I've known Matt Santos for well over ten years now and we're both of the new generation of Texas politicians. I made Josh Lyman's career, and he's made President Santos'. I'm the kingmaker in this situation, and I'm taking my much deserved retirement. The simple, Susan, is that I won. I may not get 'The Oval,' but a young, moderate Texas Democrat is in there. I guess it just took eight years longer than some expected.

RS: You seem to be ignoring President Bartlet's legacy in all this.

JH: Listen, Jed Bartlet is, and always has been, my greatest friend and ally. I still receive calls from him and Abby, and Suzanne was up in Manchester not two weeks ago. As I stated in my autobiography, Full Disclosure, the President felt that only I had the ability to serve as his Vice President. My decision to do the right thing and resign is the only tarnish on our friendship.

RS: Your relationship with your wife Suzanne has been reported in the media as being 'on the rocks' since your film deal came through. Do you care to elaborate?

JH: My life is an open book. Suzanne and I have had our problems, and I have been more than fair in letting those problems known to the world. I met Suzanne around the time of my divorce from my first wife and it was her love and support got me through my second term in the Senate and my Vice Presidency. I have made mistakes, I have been unfaithful in the past, and I only have myself to blame. Suzanne's a saint, and I couldn't imagine a world without her.

RS: In 2003, as everyone knows, you resigned following the leaking of classified information to socialite Helen Baldwin. Neither of you were charged with any crime following this incident. In 2006, you were critical of former White House Communications Director Toby Ziegler, and his leaking of classified material to the press. How do you reconcile this?

JH: Susan, what I did, over six years, was a stupid mistake, but it was nothing more than that. Mr. Ziegler purposefully and willfully broke the law and breached national security to save a few lives. As noble as it may have been, he had many other options and it was fair that he at least faced punishment for his deed.

RS: Let's cover some recent news. The beginnings of the 2010 election seems to be forming. Is it too much to wonder if you might throw your hat in the ring one more time?

JH: Didn't you just say I was ostracized? [laughs] No, I'll probably give Santos a few more years before deciding. We Texans stick together.

RS: What do you think of the Republican field?

JH: Well, I'm a Democrat, so all those guys aren't really on my RADAR voting wise. I'm a little sad at Speaker Jim Hohner's death. I sat next to him at three States of the Union, and he always whispered the funniest, dirtiest little jokes. I wish I could tell you some, but as a Methodist, it wouldn't feel right.

RS: Well, thank you for this frank, candid, interview. Is there anything else you wish to add?

JH: Just to say that I will be attending the opening of the Josiah Bartlet Presidential Library on March 4th, the opening of 'The Centre,' a Vice Presidential Library a little after that, and my movie will be hitting theatres before Summer. That is, unless they move the date around again. You know us Hollywood types. [laughs]

The website was a mis-type it should have been M, not N sorry Tim!!!! I will change it....
Good stuff with the shutdown story and giving Wu some exposure.....
The Hoynes interview was quite frankly, I have to say quite brilliant, I could almost hear Tim Matheson speaking in the interview.....
A reaview of Hoynes Book when it came out is coming shorlty as are some interesting events in Qumar.

CNN.COM, Saturday March 3rd 2007
More arrests in Qumari city of Jasken
There have been over a 100 more arrests in Qumars second city of Jasken. The arrests are of people accused of "morality crimes", CNN understands these include are belived to be man and woemn accused of adultry, and a boy and girl of fifteen for having sex. The reglious police have been envolved in this crackdown for the last two months. Last month two homosexuals where publicly stoned to death in the same city. It is not believed that those arrested have yet to be sentanced.

From Wikipedia
The Qumari Revolution of 2007
The Qumari revolution was a week long series of riots and fighting in March 2007 that overthrew the absolute monarchy of the Sultan Ali Usef. After a trial by a "peoples court", the Sultan and his son, the Crown prince were executed, after being captured attempting to flee the country to the U.A.E. The Sultans second Cousin Manab Hessani took over as Sultan, but his powers where much reduced.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
More to follow......

Four Presidents, One Brain
Taylorreid.com, Insider Blog

So, the Josiah "Jed the Noble Laureate" Bartlet Museum and Narcissism Center opened yesterday to the usual round of hippie fanfare (not surprisingly, given it's pretty much adjacent to Woodstock). All the Ivy League too-cool-to-do-gooders, who've ruined our nation for the last ten years, were there, including Josh "Pretty Boy" Lyman, C.J. "Big Bird" Cregg, and Toby "Sad Clown" Ziegler. Interesting factoid about Ziegler, I'm pretty sure he technically qualifies as a convicted felon.

Other than Lyman (and I've covered that elsewhere), none of them really have any sort of responsibility anymore and thankfully are not meddling with the government. Godwilling, in two years there will be no more of those self-absorbed elitist socialists in power.

The crux of this, is that, "The Taylor Reid Show," had the opportunity to cover this "event," and at the moment the four surviving Presidents were up there something occurred to me. America, we have to straighten up and vote right. Aside from Walken, who's two-day escape to civility doesn't really count, Newman, Bartlet, and Santos will re-write history in their image. We need to shove off the current living idea of a President and elect someone who reflects America, who reflects moral responsibility, fiscal discipline, and what Republican President Teddy Roosevelt called "a mighty big stick."

Ritchie would've made a good President, and Vinick, well... so-so. We need to elect the only person who had the gall to stand up to the Bartlet-Santos types. And the only one that comes to mind is the Speaker emeritus, Jeff Haffley. The Taylor Reid Show will officially endorse the last good Speaker and we'll announce it on tonight's show.

And in twelve years or so, I plan on attending the opening of the Jeffrey Haffley Presidential Library in Spokane.

Now to shake things up...

Washington Post, March 8, 2009
Alexander Announces Candidacy

General Nicholas Alexander (ret.) announced in a press conference Saturday, his intention to run for the Republican nomination for the Presidency. Alexander is known for commanding the peacekeeping mission to the Philippines in 1998 and serving as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during parts of the Bartlet and Santos administrations.

Alexander, from his press conference in his home in Jacksonville, stated, "I've never considered myself a Democrat or a Republican. I'm an American, and I believe as Americans, it's time to put the partisan bickering behind us... I've worked closely with three Presidents now and one's things for certain. We need a commander-in-chief back in that office.

"We need someone from the E-Ring to move into the West Wing... I can lead troops, and you all [the American people] can be my troops... Let's go give 'em h---."

Alexander was the first Army General to command the United States Pacific Command before being nominated for Army Chief of Staff in January 1999, one of President Lassiter's last acts in office. He was nominated by President Bartlet for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in June 2003 following the resignation of the late Admiral Percy Fitzwallace. Alexander's candidacy follows an online "Draft Alexander" movement and urgings from many in the military establishment.

Tim, I didn't see that coming!!!! I wonder how Sullivan, Haffley, Skinner and the others respond, but then he could be a "Fred Thompson" or not!!!!!

CNN.COM, Monday March 16th 2009
"I have voted Democratic in a Presidential Election" admits General Alexander as he prasies two ex-Presidents
General Nicholas Alexander admitted on Saturday that he had voted for a Democrat in a Presidential election twice in the last twenty -three years.
During a town-hall meeting in Fredericksberg, Virginia, Alexander was asked if he had voted for a Democract in a Presidential election. He gave the honest answer "Yes in 1986 and 1998 for DW Newman and Jed Bartlet". He then praised both men "DW helped to end the Cold War, people forget he was President when the Berlin Wall came down- he is a great American" about President Bartlet he said" I was honoured to serve under President Bartlet, a man of honour". His comments have been jumped on by many Republicans. "He voted for two of the most liberal Presidents in our History, what more needs to be said" said a spokesman for the Haffley campaign. The Alexander campaign hit back with a strongly worded press release "General Alexander also voted for Richard Nixon twice, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan twice and Owen Lassiter twice, but his personnel voting record is not important, he has the mature judgement to go beyond party lines, and this is what this country needs".
Since entering the race last weekend, Alexander has been meet with large crowds across the country, but his loyalty to the Republican Party had already been questioned before Saturday. Last Week Former Governor Edward Pratt of Tennessee called Alexander decision to enter the race "as a decision of political convenience, he is not conviction Republican."

Just a post with the very sad news that Ron Silver who so wonderfully protrayed Bruno Gianelli in series 3,4, 6, and 7 has just died from Cancer aged just 62.
I remember seeing him being interviewed here in the UK the day after Obama's election victory in November, and he looked so ill then.

" Because I am tired of working for candidates who make me think I should be embarrassed to believe what I believe. I'm tired of getting them elected. We all need some therapy, because someone came along and said that liberal means "soft on crime." Soft on drugs. Soft on communism. Soft on defense. And we're gonna tax you back to the stone age because people shouldn't have to go to work if they don't want to. And instead of saying, 'Well, excuse me, you right-wing, reactionary xenophobic, homophobic, anti-education, anti-choice, pro-gun, Leave-it-to-Beaver-trip-back-to-the-fifties!' we cowered in the corner and said, 'Please. Don't. Hurt. Me.' No more. I really don't care who's right, who's wrong. We're both right, we're both wrong."

Status
Not open for further replies.