2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some ideas about what to do with the other Commander-in-Chief characters (Templeton, Keaton, Allen), but I don't think they merit any articles for at least a week or two, if not a month.

I haven't decided if Andrew Wu should be a Jindal analogue with an East Asian face, that is a social conservative with free marketeer tendencies, or a Southern economic populist in the mold of Huckabee (think a right-wing version of John Edwards).

Been having a dig around on the West Wing Wiki.
Here is what it says about Lewis Berryhill, (the man that could well challenge Santos for the nomination). (Some of this stuff has been fictionalised, so is not truly West Wing "Cannon" but never the less is very good, and helps flesh out the character), and why he could be a serious challenger to President Santos next Year.
Lewis Berryhill served as the United States Secretary of State under President Josiah Bartlet from 1999 to 2007. Secretary Berryhill was a good tactician in foreign affairs but he had little support on Capitol Hill. When US Vice President John Hoynes resigned in early 2004, Bartlet nominated Berryhill to fill the post of Vice President. However the nomination was blocked by then Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley. Berryhill's future in the Santos administration is not known. Former Senator and Presidential Candidate Arnold Vinick would succeed him in the Santos administration.
Berryhill was born in New York City in 1942. His father, Charles Berryhill, was a career diplomat who served as the U.S. Ambassador to Kenya under President John F. Kennedy. He is a 1964 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and served in the Army until his retirement in 1976. Berryhill completed three tours of duty in Vietnam, and won the Purple Heart and the Silver Star. He was discharged with the rank of Lt. Colonel.
From 1976 to 1977, he served as a Legislative Assistant to Jacob Javits, a Republican U.S. Senator from New York and a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
Berryhill served in the Carter and Reagan administrations as the Assistant U.S. Secretary of Defense from 1977 to 1980, as the Deputy National Security Advisor from 1980 to 1981, as the U.S. Ambassador to Thailand from 1981 to 1983, and as the U.S. Ambassador to Israel from 1983 to 1987.
President D. Wire Newman appointed him to serve as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency in 1987. He was the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations from 1990 to 1991.
From 1991 to 1992, Berryhill was a commentator on CNN, where he gained national attention during the Persian Gulf War. His book on American foreign policy, which sharply criticized President Owen Lassiter, was #1 on the New York Times bestseller list for eleven weeks.
In 1992, Berryhill left CNN to seek the Democratic nomination for U.S. Senator. He defeated former Democratic vice presidential candidate Geraldine Ferraro and N.Y. Attorney General Bob Abrams in the primary. In the general election, Berryhill beat two-term Republican incumbent Alphonse D'Amato by a 51%-48% margin.
During 1997, he made several trips to New Hampshire and Iowa exploring a bid for the 1998 Democratic presidential nomination, but ultimately declined to run. He became an early supporter of New Hampshire Gov. Jed Bartlet, and delivered the nominating speech for Bartlet a the Democratic National Convention. He was re-elected to his Senate seat with 62% of the vote against Betsey McCaughey Ross, the Lt. Governor of New York.
After the election, Berryhill was nominated as the U.S. Secretary of State. he held that post until the end of the Bartlet administration in Janaury 2007.
Berryhill currently resides in New York, where he is a Professor of International Relations at Columbia University.

The Times, Friday January 16th 2009
Pratt enters Republican race and pitches for the Conservative base vote
Edward Pratt yesterday staked his claim to be the candidate of the Conservative Right of the Republican Party with a strong message of "Relgious and Moral Values" and to be champion for the American Family.
The former two term Governor of Tennessee who was described by Former Democratic President Josiah Bartlett as "The most able of any Governor from either party I worked with whilst President" rejected that party should move to the centre ground, and deplored the breakdown of American society,and called for a nationwide ban on Gay Marriage all narrow messages that will go down with the Chrisitian right.
But he also delivered a caring message to the casualties of social failure - in particular, the victims of mental illness and domestic violence .
Within hours it appeared that Governor Pratt narrowly targeted appeal had had its desired effect, and was on the verge of delivering to him the support of the American Christian Assembly.Most of it supporters backed Rev Don Butler in 2006, and it would give Pratt a serious boost early in the campaign. The news is a blow to Former Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley who was hoping to be able to count on the group's support.
With the first opinion polls due to be announced over the weekend, will have a first idea of how the race for the Republican nomination is already shaping up.

Last edited:
The Guardian, Monday January 19th
First polls give real encourgement to Skinner
The first national poll, and the first six state polls have been released and they show a very close race for the Republican nomination and give much support to Gay Vermont Congressman Matt Skinner. Although he leads in only state, California, in the poll of pols he is in third just behind Former Speaker of the House Jeff Haffley. Nationally he is polling at 19%, just behind Haffley on 21% and Ray Sullivan on 25%.
Governor Ray Sullivan, the favourite leads in four states, and the poll of polls gives him a 2% lead and the national polls he has a three point lead over Haflfey.
These first polls are bound to agner the Christian Right of the Republican base, two of the three leading candidates are "change" candidates, Sullivan and Skinner are trying to move the party away from the right, which was started by the 2006 nominee Arnold Vinick.
Congressman Skinner is actullay not that far apart from the base on some issues, although he is gay he does not support Gay Marriage and that Government "shouldn't fit into peoples bedrooms", and is for tougher limits on abortion, it is the fact that he is gay is angering the right. The lastest entry into the race list week, Former Tennessee Governor Edward Pratt who has moved to the right in running for the nomination, has made a strong start polling nationally at 16%.
National Poll
1. Sullivan 25%
2. Haffley 22%
3. Skinner 19%
4. Pratt 16%
5. Reed 11%
6. Wendt 6%
7. Hobuck 1%
Iowa
1. Sullivan 23%
2. Haffley 19%
3. Pratt 18%
4. Skinner 17%
5. Reed 15%
6. Wendt 6%
7. Hobuck 2%
New Hampshire
1. Sullivan 25%
2. Skinner 22%
3. Haffley 20%
4. Pratt 15%
5. Reed 11%
6. Wendt 6%
7. Hobuck 1%
Florida
1. Sullivan 24%
2. Haffley 21%
3. Skinner 20%
4. Pratt 17%
5. Reed 10%
6. Wendt 7%
7. Hobuck 1%
South Carolina
1. Haffley 23%
2. Sullivan 22%
3. Wendt 19%
4. Skinner 18%
5. Pratt 11%
6. Reed 6%
7. Hobuck 1%
California
1. Skinner 24%
2. Sullivan 23%
3. Haffley 19%
4. Pratt 15%
5. Reed 12%
6. Wendt 6%
7. Hobuck 1%
Michigan
1. Sullivan 23%
2. Haffley 21%
3. Skinner 20%
4. Pratt 19%
5. Reed 10%
6. Wendt 6%
7. Hobuck 1%
Poll of Polls
1. Sullivan 23.3%
2. Haffley 21.1%
3. Skinner 20.1%
4. Pratt 15.8%
5. Reed 11%
6. Wendt 8.3%
7. Hobuck 1.1%

Okay I'm hooked.

Can't wait to read the description of the events of the first two years of the Santos administration. Also, I was surprised to Skinner polling 18% in South Carolina.

Okay I'm hooked.

Can't wait to read the description of the events of the first two years of the Santos administration. Also, I was surprised to Skinner polling 18% in South Carolina.
This I am working on now, and will be posted in a few days!!!
I am making Matt Skinner a "Republican" Obama, young, fresh, a "change" candidate and one who has a serious personnel problem to overcome eg. Obama's race, Skinner's sexuality. (Although I have not decided who is going to win). Like Obama didn't run as the black caniddate, Skinner is not running as the gay candidate.
South Carolina in the West Wing World has twice been won by the Dems in the last two presidential elections. Bartlet won it in 2002 and Santos in 2006, and is said to have a moderate Dem Governor. So a moderate change candidate like Skinner is beliavable in doing well. Wendt is polling well there because it is his home state.

The Daily Telegraph, Wednesday January 21st 2009
Republican "Big Beasts" will not run again, and warn against "personnel attacks" on Congressman Skinner
Former Acting President, and Speaker of the House Glenn Allen Walken and 2002 Republican nominee, Former two-term Governor of Florida Robert Ritchie held a joint press conference yesterday to announce that neither would be entering the race for the 2010 Republican nomination.
Walken who had run in 2006, but finished in third place, behind Arnold Vinick and Rev. Don Butler,was returned to Congress in November "I have a job to do, for the people in my district, I ran last time out, but it was not be".
Robert Ritchie, who lost in a landslide to President Bartlet in 2002, had been thinking of making another bid for the White House, but said he had decided against it, and instead said he will be a caniddate for the vacant Florida Senate seat next year "Yes, I did think about running again, and there many in the party who wanted me to, but in the end I decided that I had my chance in 2002, and I can best serve the people of Florida in the Senate".
Ritchie has moved more towards the centre since his presidential defeat, both where asked that if they would support any of the other declared canidadtes already in the field both gave guarded answers "No, not at the moment, but some would make great Presidents" said Ritchie.
When asked about gay Congressman Matt Skinner, who in the first polls is running in third place nationally , and who is drawing attacks from the Christian right of the party, Walken said "There should and must be a sober debate about who we want as the candidate next year, but their should be no attacks on anyone because of their sexuality, on the issues and policies, yes, but I ask all to refrain from personnel attacks". Ritchie agreed "Congressman Skinner is a very talented Republican, I admit I dis-agree with him on some issues, but no-one should attack just because of who he sleeps with".
Walken added "We have some very talented people running, and anyone could well be the next President".

This I am working on now, and will be posted in a few days!!!
I am making Matt Skinner a "Republican" Obama, young, fresh, a "change" candidate and one who has a serious personnel problem to overcome eg. Obama's race, Skinner's sexuality. (Although I have not decided who is going to win). Like Obama didn't run as the black caniddate, Skinner is not running as the gay candidate.
South Carolina in the West Wing World has twice been won by the Dems in the last two presidential elections. Bartlet won it in 2002 and Santos in 2006, and is said to have a moderate Dem Governor. So a moderate change candidate like Skinner is beliavable in doing well. Wendt is polling well there because it is his home state.

ur making a republican Obama after we already had Santos who actually was based off Obama. I'm not complaining but just saying

ur making a republican Obama after we already had Santos who actually was based off Obama. I'm not complaining but just saying

Matt Skinner was a character on the show who appeared in three epsiodes in Series One and Two.I am just thinking how the Republican Party would deal with a Gay Republican running for President, thats why I have used the Skinner character in the story.

Just adding a little side-story, hoping not to interfere with the story too much:

The USA Today, Sunday January 25, 2009
Former First Lady Under Attack for Comments About Rep. Skinner

Former First Lady Libby Lassiter, 80, speaking at a California Womens' Luncheon, was quoted as saying, "Congressman Skinner, and his ilk, are what's wrong with the American family today." When asked to clarify, Lassiter stated that she was referring to Skinner's "abnormal lifestyle."

Lassiter's comments were immediately denounced by several top Republican officials. West Virginia Governor Ray Sullivan released the following statement: "While I respect Mrs. Lassiter, her views, in this regard, do not represent the views of myself, reputable Republicans, or the American people."

Although Mrs. Lassiter has been noted for similar remarks in the past, the current incident seems to have triggered a nerve in the tense pre-election atmosphere. When asked to respond, Congressman Skinner offered no comment, and later stated "I have more important things to worry about."

(sorry for the double post)

Marky Bunny said:
redsoxrule124245 said:
You're making a Republican Obama after we already had Santos, who actually was based off Obama? I'm not complaining, but just sayin...

Matt Skinner was a character on the show who appeared in three epsiodes in series one and two. I am just thinking how the Republican Party would deal with a Gay Republican running for President, thats why I have used the Skinner character in the story.

I'm astonished that two MS's can run in an election (or two) after President Bartlet (played by Martin Sheen) had constant problems dealing with his MS. Mark Sellner, Mike Satchel, and Melanie Sanders better stay out of this race.

And the use of an "Obama" to counter another "Obama," seems to be an appropriate choice for the Republican Party. There's a chance it may happen in real life.

Tim
That was a superb post, excellent,
I just need to finish the first two years of the Santos Presidency. Do you have any ideas where it has gone wrong. Education bill failing to pass, I want a worldwide slump as per our world. A bailout that Santos gets the blame for.
Any other ideas more than welcome.

Tim
That was a superb post, excellent,
I just need to finish the first two years of the Santos Presidency. Do you have any ideas where it has gone wrong. Education bill failing to pass, I want a worldwide slump as per our world. A bailout that Santos gets the blame for.

i say the easiest way is have a good amount of casualties of Peacekeepers in Israel although Bartlett would've gotten more blame for that book and Santos could easily come out that he voted against it remember Santos wasn't introduced until after they signed that treaty. Also why do you want Santos to fail?

The Times, Wednesday January 28th 2009
American Christian Assembly supporters back Former First Ladies comments.
The political fall-out after Former First Lady Libby Lassiter said Republican Presidential candidate Matt Skinner was living a "abnormal lifestyle" continued yesterday.
Skinner who has been very impressive on the campaign trail so far, and it seems many Republican voters are not concerned over his homosexuality, but at an appereance in Des Moines, Iowa, the first of the states to vote next January, he was pelted with eggs, by a crowd banners proclaiming "Libby is Right" and charting "You are abnormal" and "Against the word of god".
Skinner was un-ruffled by the attack, he challenged back at the crowd
"You are what is wrong with the party, that I love, American is changing, and we must change with it. You are just playing into the hands of the Democracts, and are weakning us".
When told he was "abnormal", he joked back "Yes, I would agree with you, I am Republican United States Congressman, and running for President, what could be more abnormal than that?".
Later in a speech, he said "I am a Republican first, I support freedom of speech, freedom of our citizens to live their lifes the way that they choose, not the way that the Federal Government tells them to. Strong local Government, strong national defense,a balanced budget, are these abnormal or un-Republican values. No. The party must understand all parts of American Society and imbrace it, if it can fully serve it. Change of the Republican Party must come,if not we will fail not only the party, but the American people".
George Rohr, spokesman for the American christian Assembly, denied that the crowd that attacked Congressman Matt Skinner had been planned by his organsation, but he refused to condem Libby Lassisters remarks, and said "that they where supported by many Americans" and "that Skinner was not in tune with the values of the ordindary American Family".

Last edited:
I have a question: Does Congressman Skinner live with a significant other, or does he live alone? I'm delicately trying to ask whether there is a special someone in Skinner's life, as I'm sure the press has hounded him about it either way.

Marky Bunny said:

Don't hold back, you need to fit in two to three seasons of unaired goodness. Here's some ideas:
* Problems with the Colombian President Miguel Santos. Just a mirror of our own Presidential name similarities, but kinda funny jab at the West Wing's name recycling program. (RIP Congressman DeSantos)
* Since I'm from Illinois, a disgraced/disgraceful politician with close ties to the President is at the top of my list. Not necessarily the Governor of Texas, but maybe an impeachment, censure, or even expulsion of Congressman Tim Fields (for X reason) and the problems that causes the Santos administration.
* A good idea posted by redsoxrule is the escalation of problems in Gaza. Maybe we can go the opposite and have Santos pull out troops, negating Bartlet's Accords and causing outrage on that front.
* Of course, all sorts of problems with dealing with Baker's confirmation and the Second Lady-designate's "issues" could come up, although I'd really hate to not have him as VP.
* A Harriet Myers-esque appointment that fails miserably. You can hammer out the details on that.
* Jorge, Jorge, and Jorge. Any and all problems with the President's brother that were just yelling to become a plotline in the seventh season ("Business" associates, his mistress, et cetera).

I have a question: Does Congressman Skinner live with a significant other, or does he live alone? I'm delicately trying to ask whether there is a special someone in Skinner's life, as I'm sure the press has hounded him about it either way.

Don't hold back, you need to fit in two to three seasons of unaired goodness. Here's some ideas:
* Problems with the Colombian President Miguel Santos. Just a mirror of our own Presidential name similarities, but kinda funny jab at the West Wing's name recycling program. (RIP Congressman DeSantos)
* Since I'm from Illinois, a disgraced/disgraceful politician with close ties to the President is at the top of my list. Not necessarily the Governor of Texas, but maybe an impeachment, censure, or even expulsion of Congressman Tim Fields (for X reason) and the problems that causes the Santos administration.
* A good idea posted by redsoxrule is the escalation of problems in Gaza. Maybe we can go the opposite and have Santos pull out troops, negating Bartlet's Accords and causing outrage on that front.
* Of course, all sorts of problems with dealing with Baker's confirmation and the Second Lady-designate's "issues" could come up, although I'd really hate to not have him as VP.
* A Harriet Myers-esque appointment that fails miserably. You can hammer out the details on that.
* Jorge, Jorge, and Jorge. Any and all problems with the President's brother that were just yelling to become a plotline in the seventh season ("Business" associates, his mistress, et cetera).
I have re-watched the three epsiodes in which Matt Skinner appears in Series 1 and 2. Watch "The Portland Trip" it's superb, his speech to Josh forms apart of the speech above. I don't know if he has a partner or not. I would say yes, maybe a lawyer or in the media.
Some excellent ideas about Santos.-Baker will be VP.
Storyline spolier- I am going to bring back a couple of characters to work on Skinners campaign, a Republican and a Dem, I will let you guess who.
Also I am going to gave Santos at one major foreign policy sucess.
Jorge Santos, was based in part I believe on Jimmy Carter's brother, who caused some embrassment to his brother.
I will have the Santos first two years coming up, and some more polls.
If you want to add anymore then feel welcome.

I can see a rather peeved Bingo Bob feeling shut out of the Santos administration, and challenging him for the nomination. Not that he'd win, but he could cause some complications.

Status
Not open for further replies.