2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean the Former Speaker Jeff Haffley? I already have him running.
Glenn Walken the Former Acting President and Speaker 2001-2003, I haven't decided what to do with him?
The current Speaker Mark B Spellner is a Dem.

D.C. Insider Magazine, January 2009 issue
Shadowy PAC of the month: One Nation '10

The Mission: "We are not looking to build a new and permanent party. That might happen, but our objective is to fix the old parties. A Unity Ticket in office for one term or even taking part in just one election can bring new ideas, new integrity and new leaders to the fore. In the meantime, we aim to bring mass participation in politics directly to the American people by using online technology, such as secure voting, to allow voters to determine the most crucial issues facing the country, discuss them with potential nominees, and participate in an online convention to nominate a bipartisan presidential ticket. We consider the partisan polarization in Washington to be highly detrimental to the well-being of the republic."

The Start: Founded in late 2008 by a bipartisan group consisting of Democrat Claudia Jean Cregg, former White House Chief of Staff of the Bartlet administration, Independent Bruno Gianelli, the notorious one-time campaign manager for President Bartlet's reelection and later manager of the Vinick campaign, Independent Kelly Ludlow, the former communications director to Representative Mackenzie Allen (I- CT), and Republican Theodore Roosevelt Bridges, the Governor of California from 1991 to 2005.

The Plot: As said above in their mission statement, One Nation '10 claims to be a non-profit organization focused on developing electronic infrastructure to enable Americans to rank crucial issues, draft and evaluate candidates for debate under the banner of One Nation '10, with the ultimate shadowy endgame of selecting, then electing a One Nation '10 presidential ticket to the highest office of the land.

The Skuttlebutt: The union-ist ticket since Lincoln-Johnson? Say it is so! Not so, claims the word on the street. Despite the presence of Ex-Guv Teddy, there's really not many politicians rallying around this group so far. So much for building a core of unity even as Congress continues to squabble with President Santos. Some commentators have already pointed out that there seems to be a high percentage of lobbyists and political operatives in One Nation '10, and despite its deceptively populist and progressive image, these are all stodgy establishment figures we've all seen before. One blogger has already accused ON10 of "constructing a fake call to 'unity' and choosing the 'unity' they want for us." Furthermore, there may not be much unity within the group either. C.J. Cregg apparently signed up to it as a sideshow job to her Hollis Foundation activities; there's no sign she's not going to endorse Pres. Santos- or whomever's the Democratic candidate. Kelly Ludlow and Teddy Bridges seem to be backing their own stealth candidate- maybe even himself- for ON10 sneak president. Finally, "Janus" Bruno's just along for the fun, it seems.

The Verdict: A pack of hatchetmen and cronies trying to coronate a future king under a false wonderland vision of bipartisan unity. That is, if their 'movement' doesn't fall apart on its own first. Don't believe the hype.

Hope you don't mind the Commander-in-Chief crossover. Since this is really a The West Wing timeline, I'm having characters from that Geena Davis show only be on the sidelines. One American '10 is supposed to be the analogue of the Unity08 group in OTL, which really never amounted to anything. I think they'll do a little more, but overall they shouldn't affect the race too much. I don't think there should be a crossover with any other show, since only The West Wing and Commander-in-Chief are recent American political shows.

As for Andrew Wu, he's supposed to be a Bobby Jindal analogue, so I was thinking either he's from North Carolina or Georgia, two Southern states with fast-growing Asian-American populations. Unless, of course, he's from the Midwest/Empty Quarter. Though I guess if he's supposed to be a possible dark horse candidate in 2010, he should have been running for reelection in 2008, not just election. Maybe we can retcon that.

Last edited:
Its interesting that you mention a West Virginian. Being from W. Va. (Hardy County) myself, it is a strong, consertative Democratic State. I know many people who after this election have changed parties to independent or republican.

I would think a president from West Virginia would be like the red-headed step child. But I think it may roll like this. Robert Byrd dies and Capito takes his seat in the senate (republican). Mike Teets, from Hardy County is electe to the House in Capito's seat. Rockefeller is voted out for his backing Obama and goes back North. In his place Joe Manchin, who changes parties (to republican, and he is Italian at that) wins his seat in the senate. And it would end up being Manchin who gets the nonination for President. He has that pull...believe me.

Ray Sullivan is the two term Governor from West Virginia. Elected in 2000 and re-elected in 2004, and was Arnold Vinicks running mate.
Teddy Bridges would have to Governor prior to 2000 as Gabe Tilman was the Dem Governor from 2000 onwards.
I think Andrew Wu should be from North Carolina and elected in 2004. (As the 2004 mid-term elections where never shown on the show, maybe thats why we have never heard from him).Re-elected in a landslide in 2008.
Also Vinick was a Senator not Governor.
Regards to One Nation 10, maybe they try and get Seth Gillette or Chris Carrick to run.
I will also do some detail on the Santos Adminstration and what has happended, and why it is in a mess.

Good recommendations. I think we can post the completed posts eventually in the Timeline thread. I'll try to get more people to help with this. Also I think mjustinian might be in the wrong thread. You have an excellent grasp of the story, I didn't notice Gabe Tillman on the Wiki at first. Maybe Bridges could be the governor of California between Lassiter and him.

I think Carrick would be a better fit for One Nation '10 than Gillette, Gillette's more of a Kucinich-type character, Carrick is more of a nonpartisan opportunist independent like Michael Bloomberg, which actually matches up quite nicely for the Unity '08 parallel. This thread could be helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks for those links.
I have decided Santos will run for re-election, but I will have a fierce challenge to him from a serious Dem. It will be like when Carter was challenged by Kennedy in 1980, and when Reagan challenged Ford in 1976.
It will not be Hoynes he is finished, but former VP Bob Russell has never liked Santos, he struggled to campaign for him after he lost the nomination and wasn't given role in the Santos Adminstration.

The Times, Tuesday January 6th 2009
Two Former Vice -Presidents meet amid rumours of an anti-Santos pact.
There is certainly no love lost between the two former Vice-Presidents but John Hoynes and Bob Russell had a three hour meeting yesterday. Offically it was about the launch of the Centre regarding the history of the Vice-Presidency, but sources close to both men say it was more than that.
Hoynes who twice ran for President, and who is now a partner at a DC law firm and an award winning author. His personnel autiobiography "Full Disclourse" helped to re-launch his career two years after re-signing the Vice Presidency in 2003, and in 2007 his first novel "The Oval" about a fictional Afro-American President was a best seller, and is about to be turned into a film, with Hoynes himself co-writing the screenplay. In private has been highly cricital of President Santos, although he knows he has no choice of running again himself, he is belived to be looking for a strong candidate to support in any challenge against Santos next year. Despite his sex scandals Hoynes is still well liked and respected by the voters, including many moderate Republicans.
Like wise Bob Russell has been vocal against Santos in private and in public, and believed he was cheated out of the noimantion and thus Presidency in 2006. Now running a "think-tank" in his home state of colorado, he is belived to be strongly looking at challenging Santos next year. The meeting with Hoynes also opens up the question of Hoynes and Russell backing a candidate. Although the two men are known not to like each other, one member of the Hoynes camp said both are working to the idea of "my enemies enemey is my friend".
Both are close to President Bartlet's Secretary of State Lewis Berryhill who was the first choice to replace Hoynes in 2003, and Former Secretary of Defense Miles Hutchinson. Both men have the expereince to take on a sitting President for the nomination, having both served in the Senate and Congress. Other names that are being mentioned as challengers such as Governor Billy Atkins of Rhode Island and Oregon Senator Ricky Rafferty who are both to the left of Santos would stand little chance of winning, but a heavyweight candidate like Berryhill or Hutchinson or even Russell would be a different matter.

The Guardian, Wednesday January 7th 2009
Republican Party must change, candidates agree, as Gay Republican will run for the Presidency
Republican Presidential rivals Ray Sullivan and Matt Skinner both vowed to change Republican culture and identity, as they officially launched their Presidential campaigns today.
Both Governor Ray Sullivan, The two-term Govenor of West Virginia, and 50-year-old Gay Congressman Matt Skinner from Vermont said the party needed fundamental reform and to be more inclusive of the diverse communities in modern America.
Governor Sullivan said a Republican Adminstration under his command would "change America and improve lives", adding that, for an affluent nation, too many people were being left behind.
"People feel that the country is going in the wrong direction but they also feel powerless to change the system."
He said people were "crying out" for a more straightforward manner of government, and that a modern Republican party "must have this commitment for radical change" and a vision to "empower people and let them fulfil their potential".
Speaking in Washington, Governor Sullivan insisted he was the man capable of "uniting the party and of winning the next election".
"Only this commitment can truly change the system, meet the challenges of the modern world and turn America in the right direction," he said.
"But, in order to be able to change our country, the Republican party itself must change," he warned.
"We delude ourselves if we believe more of the same will be enough next year," he said, adding that all Republican candidates must be more in tune with contemporary America and champion their communities.
Congressman Skinner who launched his bid an hour after Governor Sullivan, admitted that many Republican's thought his homosexuality would be a problem but said "Does who I sleep with, going to affect my judgement as President, of course not. Yes I am Gay, but I am a Republican first, my sexuality is just a part of me".
"Some people say it is about more radical policies and, of course, we have to have the right policies, but that will not do it. What we have to do is make a change in the culture and identity of the Republican Party and explain what this means in 2009."
He said that people should be "free to run their own lives" but that did not mean an individualistic free-for-all. "We need shared responsibility and a sense that we are all in this together including government and business."

Excellent articles! I would like to promote this thread somehow, but I'm not sure how to.
Thanks for the kind comments, hope you like my plotting. I re-watched "The Portland trip" epsiode from Series Two in which Skinner appears and talks about being Gay and being a Republican, before I did the article. I also re-watched a couple of the series seven epsiodes where Sullivan appears. It's strange when writing I could almost here the actors saying the words. I should be a writer!!!!
There will be more annoucements this week, including a suprise!!!

Mark - how is Sam Seabourne getting on as assistant CoS in the Santos administration. I remember Bartlett once telling him that "one day you will run for this office". Obviously he wouldn't be a candidate in 2010, or even 2014, but I could envisage a situation where an alternative democratic candidate tries to poach his services as campaign manager.

I'm one of the people who wish there had been at least one season of the Santos Administration on tv. I loved the West Wing (even though I'm a Republican). This is a fun discussion to follow.

Mark - how is Sam Seabourne getting on as assistant CoS in the Santos administration. I remember Bartlett once telling him that "one day you will run for this office". Obviously he wouldn't be a candidate in 2010, or even 2014, but I could envisage a situation where an alternative democratic candidate tries to poach his services as campaign manager.
I will be doing a review of the first two years of the Santos administration soon. Regards Sam damm, you have got one of my plot points once the challenge against Santos gets going later on this year!!!!

The Times, Friday January 9th 2009
Shock as Senate Majority Leader Royce decides against White House bid
Robert Royce, the Senate Majority Leader caused a surprise yesterday by deciding against running for the Republican Presidential nomination. At a press conference expected to herald the 7th Republican to run, Royce surprised the press and his own party with his statement, "I have decided not to seek the Republican nomination for President" when asked why he replied "I have vital work to do as Senate Majority Leader in holding the current adminstration to account, and I cannot do this if I am campaging for the Presidency". Asked if he would be throwing his support behind another of the decleared candidates "No I will wait, until we chosen a nominee. We as a party are very lucky to have such a large number of talented and qualified people who are seeking to serve the American people as the next Commander in Chief".
Royce's support amongst Republicans had grown over the last two years with his impressive performance as Senate Majority Leader, as the party made sweeping gains in the Senate mid-term elections in November. Most of all his approach of dealing with President Santos surpised many
"When I believe the President has been right, I have supported him whole-heartly, and told him when I believe he has been in the wrong" he said on the campaign trail.
The decision looks to help the other moderate Republicans in the race, Ray Sullivan, Matt Skinner, Mike Reed, and Edward Pratt, the outgoing Governor of Tennessee who will enter the race next week.

Last edited:
This is great stuff, I love it!
Thanks.
There will be times when the postings will dry up, as this is running in "real-time" so I hope everyone will bear with it. I can't have a post everyday or week.
I have a rough plan, but do I know who the Republican canididate is going to be the answer is NO!!!

The War in Asia

Bartlett's last-minute foreign adventure may contribute to the popularity of President Santos in 2010.

Bartlett's last-minute foreign adventure may contribute to the popularity of President Santos in 2010.
It will. Trapped here and with the econmoic crisis at home, and the world wide econoimc down turn, these are some of the reason why Santos is un-popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.