2010 US Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad news.

"You have to hire some heavyweights. Bruno Gianelli?" "There's goes half our budget on Italian loafers and mini-bar tabs."

Of course, it may have been a good thing that Gianelli sunk the budget for the Vinick campaign.

Hmm... Alexander voted for Newman? Bartlet considered himself the most liberal President in Howard Stackhouse's Senate career (starting somewhere between '71 and '77), so I guess he believed he was more liberal than Newman. Of course former Justice Joseph Crouch though Bartlet was a terrible Democrat (that was a little early in the Presidency, though).

Anyway, I decided to devote some time today to write a little article on each of the main candidates:

New York Times, Monday March 16th, 2009
St. Patrick's Day at the White House
The President and his family, as well as a specially chosen group of underpriviledged children from around the nation, spent the morning decorating the White House lawn in preparation for tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day activities.

White House Communications Director Louise Thornton was quoted: "While the President does not have Irish ancestry, he believes that celebrating this holiday, which represents a significant group of people who helped found this nation, is a respectful tribute and bla bla bla, you get what I'm saying."

As is traditional since the time of President Lassiter, Green decorations will be placed in front of the White House and will hang until March 18th.

Nothing election related there, but I don't think Santos is worrying about it just yet.

Washington Post, Monday March 16th, 2009
Berryhill to Appear on Meet the Press Sunday

In an interesting situation, Professor Lewis Berryhill, who has been pretty much out of the public eye since declaring his "retirement from politics" at the end of the Bartlet administration, will appear for a half-hour long interview on Meet the Press with David Gregory.

It is generally assumed that Berryhill will announce a return to politics and a run at the New York Senate seat once held. Democratic Senator Michael Jackson has publicly stated his wish to retire, and Berryhill, should he run and win, would be regaining the Senate seat he held prior to his appointment as President Bartlet's Secretary of State.

Given Berryhill's recent dealings with "The Centre," run by former Vice Presidents Hoynes and Russell, some have suggested other motives, perhaps setting up for a presidential run in 2014. Neither Berryhill's camp nor NBC News would comment until after the interview.

That finishes out the two Democrats, as for Republicans:

MSNBC.com, Monday March 16th, 2009
Sullivan Delivers Sermon at Washington Cathedral

West Virginia Governor and current Republican Presidential Candidate Ray Sullivan delivered the Sermon at the Washington National Cathedral Sunday. Sullivan, a born-again Baptist deacon, was invited by the Dean of the Cathedral in a controversial move last week.

Sullivan has publicly: "My sermon was not about politics, it was about morality. I don't mean false morality that you may have heard from other preachers and politicians, I mean just morality. The kind of morality that our founding fathers believed in.

"The invitation from Dean Simmons was on the express condition that I don't bully those in attendance with my views or leanings, and I wouldn't have it any other way. In my opinion, good politicians don't have to persuade constituents to change their beliefs, they already share the beliefs of their constituents."

Sullivan further added that he wished to have a full night sleep -- the media interview occurred Sunday night -- and had a productive work week in the planning.

More on Ray Sullivan (who should still be the frontrunner) to come.

The Daily Telegraph, Monday March 16th, 2009
Fla. Gov. Swenson (R) drops out of US Pres. Race

Governor Eric Swenson of Florida has dropped out of the early race for the Republican nomination of the United States of America. Swenson, who was considered a near-front runner behind West Virginia Gov. Sullivan in mid-2007, has cited financial and logistical issues as the cause.

Swenson's campaign has been doomed from the start. Despite calls to announce his run, he waited until the first week of February to formally make any announcements or prepare a campaign team. Perhaps because of the wait, Swenson's entry into the campaign was not well-covered in the American media, and rumors of a confrontational and divisive staff didn't help either.

"If you ask me, Governor Swenson doesn't have a lick of sense when it comes to running a presidential campaign," said former Swenson campaign manager Bob Mayer shortly after the announcement. Swenson has stated he will attempt to return any campaign contributions, and former presidential candidate and Governor of Florida Robert Ritchie has stated he will assist in paying back the campaign debt.

The failed campaign has hurt Swenson's approval ratings in Florida, and he said he will shift his focus, where it should always stay, on his homestate.

I didn't see anything being done with Swenson, so I figured it be safe (and kinda cool) to have him become the first to actually drop out of the race (in a non-Jim Hohner way).

Chicago Tribune, Monday March 16th, 2009
Former Governor Appears at NRA rally

The NRA held a rally in Washington, DC, Saturday to protest recent legislation banning the civilian use of handguns on all overseas military bases. Although the legislation has been considered unconstitutional by senior Republicans and NRA members, the Santos administration has publicly stated its belief in the ability to dictate more stringent weapons laws overseas.

In a surprise appearance, Former Governor Edward Pratt of Tennessee appeared at the rally, leading the group in a chant with his own unconcealed handgun in full view. Governor Pratt stated "Families live on these bases, and they need just as much protection from the evildoers of this world as families in America. Perhaps even more so."

Pratt went on to comment on the prevalence of "terrorists" in other countries with military bases, such as Germany and Palestine, and the need to prepare for the "worst case scenario." Pratt stated that, "Decisions will be made next year on who controls legislation and this nation, and I don't think we need someone to ties are 'arms' behind our back.

"We need to have some people, up in the Capitol and in that White House, who will release our 'arms' freely and lovingly with the foreknowledge that Americans know what's right."

Although considered a moderate on gun control in his homestate of Tennessee, Governor Pratt has recently expanded his rhetoric to include expanding and clarifying the Second Amendment in ways that have been deemed 'scary' by Democrats and some Republicans.

... The views of these candidates do not always represent my own.

Drudge Report, Monday March 16th, 2009
Haffley Camp Releases Debate Negotiations

The "Jeff Haffley for President" campaign has officially made known their debate plans, tentatively scheduled for late April/early May.

The "Haffley debate" as it has been named, would consist of a maximum of ten candidates with loose restrictions on time and heavy restrictions on direct responses. The debates are currently planned to be funded by the Sullivan and Haffley campaigns, with the eight or less other campaigns who agree to be provided a "free podium" at the debate.

The plan is based on part on the Democratic debate of 2006, which was funded by the Santos campaign and helped propel him to the nomination. It appears that Haffley is trying to capture the same spirit in his campaign that Santos had, going so far as to hire some young Republicans to serve as the face of his campaign.

Although agreed by the Sullivan and now-defunct Swenson campaigns, the debate plans have not yet been accepted by any of the other major candidates. As of press time, the other major candidates are: Fmr. Gov. Edward Pratt of Tennessee, Fmr. Gov. Mike Reed of Ohio, Senator Jimmy Hobuck of Alabama, Rep. Sam Wendt of South Carolina, Rep. Matt Skinner of Vermont, and retired General Nicholas Alexander of Florida.

I like Haffley, and I want him to do better, but I can't yet think of anything for him to do than desparately emulate Santos.

DC Insider Magazine, Monday March 16th, 2009
"Come On, Mike Reed" video sweeps the Nation

Former Governor and Presidential candidate Mike Reed (R-OH) has been dodging reporters lately as a YouTube video of him dancing to the song "Come On, Eileen," has become the latest hit viral video.

The video, known as "Come On, Mike Reed," has boosted name recognition for the little-known presidential candidate, who was otherwise only known for being the first to throw his hat in the ring and being a former keynote speaker.

The Reed campaign has issued a statement, "While the Governor has a strong appreciation for music and can dance better than some, he feels the use of this video is drowning out his stance on the issues and the importance of the upcoming election.

"Governor Reed prevails on you, the media, not to comment on this topic any further, and wishes you to go to his website, www.mikereedforourcountry.com, for real campaign-related videos."

The "Come On, Mike Reed" video has spawned many imitators, including one with him wearing a cowboy hat, and one with a dancing chipmunk alongside Governor Reed.

Okay, this is starting to get silly. Sorry. Time to get to serious news.

The Times, Monday March 16th, 2009
Wife of Potential Presidential Candidate, Passes Away
Jenna Hobuck of Mobile, Alabama, passed away late Sunday evening from complications due to ovarian cancer. She was 59.

Here is a statement released by the Jimmy Hobuck campaign. "Senator Hobuck will be taking a few weeks off from the trail to deal with the tragedy of his wife's passing. The good Senator thanks you for your support, and wishes any gifts be sent as donations to research centers dedicated to eradicating ovarian cancer.

"Senator Hobuck assures you that while he still must mourn his wife, he does not plan on cancelling the campaign. He will be back on the campaign trail in a few weeks, hopefully in time for any debates, and definitely before the primary season."

The Senator has been noticeably absent from any campaigning for a couple weeks already, as he was tending to his wife on her deathbed. Jenna Hobuck is survived by five children and one grandson.

Eight down, five to go.

The Guardian, Monday March 16th, 2009
Congressman Wendt Appears Drunk in a Meeting with the ACA

Congressman Sam Wendt of South Carolina, who has been running a low-key campaign for the Republican nomination for President, was reported to have been intoxicated while meeting with a contingent of American Christian Assembly, led by George Rohr and Mary Marsh, on Sunday.

Marsh was quoted as saying, "Congressman Wendt's intoxication is beyond comprehension. We cannot have a President who does and acts in such a disrespectful way to America's spiritual leaders."

Rohr, in response to the incident, "I am disappointed and saddened by Congressman Wendt's behavior. I hope he sees the folly of his ways and would show some control, restraint, and limits on this behavior in the future."

The "Wendt for 2010" campaign has publicly refuted any intoxication took place, and stated that any confusion was the result of "dehydration."

I'm sure Sam Wendt is of no relation to George Wendt.

Los Angeles Times, Monday March 16th, 2009
Skinner Accepts Log Cabin Endorsement

The Log Cabin Republicans officially endorsed the campaign of Congressman Matt Skinner (R-VT) for President on Saturday, with the Chairman of the Log Cabin Republicans personally handing Skinner a contribution of $1,000 in front of California media outlets.

Although the endorsement did not come as much of a surprise, Skinner's enthusiastic embrace of said endorsement was of interest. Skinner, who did not come out of the closet publicly until years after his first election to the United States Congress, has been criticized by the LCR for his stance on gay marriage.

In turn, Skinner has criticized the LCR for the lack of organization the group holds. The "reconciliation" of Skinner and the Log Cabin Republicans is being praised by many in the gay community.

I admit, I've been ignoring Skinner alot in the hopes of evening out the chances of others and making it a close election.

BBC.com, Monday March 16th, 2009
General Alexander Picks Up the VFW Endorsement

Former General Nicholas Alexander, a veteran of nearly every armed conflict since the Vietnam War, has picked up the official endorsement of the Veterans of Foreign Wars organization in his campaign for President. Although they rarely endorse candidates in the pre-primary stage, they have called for an exception, since, according to National Commander Bruce F. Williams, "General Alexander's commitment to our country and his ability to transcend partisan bickering is something the VFW strongly endorses."

The VFW endorsement comes as a massive blow to the Sullivan campaign, which had been spending weeks courting the VFW for a future endorsement.

General Alexander, on what he refers to as a "modern day whistlestop tour," stopped in Boston today for a photo-op with Massachusetts' District Commander and a meet-and-greet with Bostonian veterans.

I don't think the VFW would ever endorse someone so soon, so I'm assuming it's mostly the work of a rogue National Commander.

I was originally going to do an article about the One Nation PAC (Bridges, Allen), but am not sure how to do it now, with respecting all that needs to be respected. I also had an idea about an Andrew Wu article, but I don't want to be the one to thrust him into the election, nor have too many articles not be election-related.

If you noticed, I tried to only use newspaper agencies already covered in the thread.

I have not decided who is going to win the nomination. Of the current eight declared candidates I think six could actually win it (not Wendt or Holbuck).
Some more 2007 stuff to follow later this week...

CNN.COM. Saturday March 17th 2007
Breaking News: Riots in Quamri City of Jasken.
Reports are coming in from Qumar's second city of Jasken of large scale riots and an attempt into break to the city prison.
It is belived a crowd of over 2,000 had gathered to demand the release of 500 "Sexual deviants" including homosexuals, men and women accused of adultry and tennagers who had had under age sex. It is believed that these prisoners where due to publicy executed by stoning.
The Quamari Religious Police has been on a "morality crackdown" over the last two months resulting in the public excution of two homosexuls in the same city last month.

Excellent thread - have enjoyed the developments so far, thought I might attempt to post a development of my own - hope nobody mine
ds the introduction of a non canon character, but not being a huge fan of any of the Republican candidates so far thought this might mix it up. I thought in the show this guy would have been played by Chi McBride or someone similar.

CNN.com, Saturday March 21st
Blakemore refuses to comment on GOP nomination bid

Rumours are mounting that former Governor of Michigan Dr. Marcus Blakemore is set to announce his candidacy for the Republican Party nomination for President.

It has been strongly suggested that in light of the collapse of his friend and ally Eric Swenson’s campaign that Blakemore will announce his candidacy in the next few days. A spokesman for Blakemore refused to rule it out stating only that “the Governor is spending the weekend with his family near Auburn Hills and will return to Lansing on Monday”.

Blakemore’s candidacy would create and intriguing dynamic with a Northern, moderate, African American Republican more than likely to shake up what is already an intriguing race. Dr. Blakemore, 51, who served as an assistant National Security Advisor in the latter years of the Lassiter presidency, has been an outspoken critic of the foreign policy of the current administration but was expected to sit the campaign out and endorse Swenson.

It appears that with Swenson’s withdrawal and with none of the other obvious Foreign Policy Republicans stepping forward that Blakemore may be ready to run.

Last edited:
Sorry about all of the delays, but I'm going to try to get a One Nation '10 PAC article up at sometime in the next few days. Still not sure how to use Gov. Wu, feel free to treat him as a Jindal analogue. Though this is the West Wing universe, everybody in politic is somewhat more telegenic and nicer and less slimy so make sure to adjust accordingly.

Washington Post, Sunday March 22nd
The Mix, Political Blog by Dave Dervanna

With the Primary season well underway, 8 declared Republican candidates and rumours circulating about at least 3 more now seems like a good time to review the Top Ten for 2010.

10. Speaker Glenalen Walken: The former acting President has already ruled himself out, but a Draft Walken online petition has amassed a high number of signatures. Walken's recent weight loss has increased speculation that he could be open to a change of heart.

9. Senator Michael Swain: The Rhode Island senator hasn't yet declared his intentions, but with many commenting on the lack of moderates in the race he could still get into the running. More likely a contender for VP.

8. Governor Henry Shallick Jr.: The Governor of Missouri and former deputy majortity whip is extremely highly regarded by many Republicans and has denied that his recent appearances in Iowa have been geared towards a Presidential run. Already well known in Iowa where his father represented in the Senate. He's seen as one of the GOP's better communicators and is an accomplished fund raiser. Interesting couple of weeks ahead.

7. Governor Edward Pratt: Continues to lurch to the right which is disappointing many of his early supporters and raising questions over his strategy in a race with Haffley and Sullivan.

6. Governor Marcus Blakemore: Looked unlikely to run until the implosion of the Swenson campaign. Now looks likely to announce this week and as he's seen as one of the Republican Party's more charismatic players he's bound to shake things up.

5. Governor Mike Reed: We spoke last week about the "Come on Mike Reed" video that remains near the top of You Tubes most watched but the real story is the skill with which Reed has ridden this wave of publicity. Is due back on Iowa this week after his succesful talk show appearances of the last two weeks and is due to give the rebuttal to President Santos' weekly address next week.

4. Congressman Matthew Skinner: The man known to many as Matthew Who? has had an enormous impact on the race so far. He's polled better than anyone could have expected so far and has raised an impressive amount in the first quarter. Needs to develop a coherent agenda soon to counter recent attacks about his depth and experience.

3. Congressman Jeff Haffley: Remains popular with the Repulican base but recent attacks have been taking their toll. A press disaster over the refusal of Senate majority leader Robert Royce to endorse the former Speaker is proving difficult to shake off.

2. General Nicholas Alexander: Not much left to say about Alexander who's hit the trail like a whirlwind since announcing he'd run. Attacks from the left and right will most likely start to take their toll over the next few months but early polling looks promising for the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs.

1. Governor Ray Sullivan: Seems to have been top of this list forever, and doesn't seem to have put a foot wrong since coming to promenence as Vinick's VP pick. Could face some major hurdles ahead if Blakemore and Alexander dig into his support amongst moderates and if Shallick or Walken get's into the race he could find himself in a 4 way battle along with Haffley for the right of the party.

Last edited:
Fox News.com, Wednesday March 18th

Glen Walken performs about turn on Presidential Bid

Reversing his statement of January 21st former acting President Glenalen Walken declared yesterday that he is running for president in a video posted on his website.
"My friends and fellow Americans, I come to you today to tell you that I have been convinced to run for President," Walken said. "After much consultation with my family, friends and supporters I feel I am making the right decision. I love my country and I am concerned about its future."
Walken sought to reinforce his conservative credentials pointing to his record on national security and government spending. He sounded more conciliatory when talking of Washington talking of the need to reach across the aisle to work together to solve America's problems.
"All of our leaders must come together, and try to seek solutions that solve not only the immediate crises but leave a lasting legacy for our children and our children’s children," Walken said. "It’s time for a change of direction, an end to the constant partisanship of the past twelve years, of which I myself have been a part and work towards a better future. Good ideas will never be the domain of one political party and we must find common ground to go forward”.
He said his time away from Washington had sharpened his focus and allowed him to develop a new and radical agenda for reducing the size of government and tackling the major issues that face the country today.

Hope nobdy minds the reappearance of Walken, my thinking is that he would have emerged as one of the leading voices of the GOP post 2006 and that in light of the Republicans tendancy to nominate candidates running for the second time that it would be interesting to see someone with his likely profile in the race.

Last edited:
Disputed, I have no problem with Walken coming back in, but in terms of posting, can you please date the articles and from what source they come from please (eg CNN.Com, etc)
Thanks

MSNBC.COM Wednesday March 25th 2009
Wendt drunk again, this time at a campaign rally
Congressman Sam Wendt appeared drunk at a campaign rally in Palm Bay, Florida, yesterday.
He appeared to slur his words, before falling over on stage. He was pulled of the stage by campaign aids. Later his campaign denied he had been drunk claiming he was "suffering from exhusation, brought on by the campaign and a heavy dose of flu".
Last week Wendt turned up the worse for wear at a meeting with the American Christian Assembly.

CNN.COM Wednesday March 25th 2009
Swain- I will not seek Republican nomination
Rhode Island Senator Michael Swain issued a statement earlier today, announcing that he would not be entering the already crowded race for the 2010 Republican nomination.
A moderate Republican from a solid blue state but with a strong Foreign and Defense Policy back ground, he was rumoured to be looking at a run, but has decided to against it. "I have to be a full-time Senator for the people of my state, and can't do that if I am running for President".
Swain's name is bound to be near the top of any vice-presidential short-list of any GOP nominee next year.

Last edited:
New York Times, Wednesday March 25th
Alexander at a rally of over 35,000
General Nicholas Alexander who entered the race for the GOP nomination just under two weeks ago has been racing around the country like a high school track star, yesterday he spoke at a rally of over 35,000 in Portland, Oregon.
It was his third large scale rally in just four days following large rallies in Des Moines Iowa, and Baltimore Maryland, where he had similar crowds.
"I am here because I want to serve as your Commander in Chief, and I know you want me to serve you".
"We need change in this country, and to do that we need a real Commander in Chief back in the White House, a man who knows how to lead, a man who can get things done".

Politico.com, Thursday March 26th

Walken Picks Up High Profile Endorsements

Glenalen Walken’s campaign for President collected further steam yesterday with two high profile endorsements.

Firstly, Missouri Governor Henry Shallick announced that he will not seek the nomination this year and that he was throwing his support behind Walken for whom he will serve as Co-chairman on his national campaign. Shallick re-iterated the importance of Missouri, won by President Santos in 2006, then added that “he (Walken) is an outstanding leader, he has shown his ability to cope in a crisis and has the vision to lead this country through both the economic and foreign policy challenges that we face”.

Shallick was joined later in the day by former Florida Governor and 2002 Presidential candidate Robert Ritchie, who stood beside Walken two months ago when they both ruled out running in this year’s race.

“I fully support the decision of my friend and colleague, to get into the race. I know he has thought long and hard about it, and I’m proud to say that I will be supporting him in his bid for the nomination” Ritchie told a packed press conference.

MSNBC.com, Thursday March 26th

Republican Candidates Line Up To Attack Santos’ Budget

Three of the prospective Republican nominees for President yesterday took shots at the budget presented by President Santos that is currently working it’s way through congress.

The budget that President Santos introduced as “absolutely necessary to see us through the current economic crisis” was attacked by Governor Ray Sullivan of West Virginia as “more of the same tax and spend policies of the last twelve years”, he was joined by former acting President Glen Walken who said the budget represented “the same fantasy economics that have led the country into the biggest deficit in history.”

Later, Congressman Jeff Haffley, who was famously involved in the 2004 government shutdown, added his voice to the growing opposition stating that “the last two Presidents have fundamentally failed to protect the public finances during the years of growth and left us in a position where the only way he can stimulate the economy is to dramatically increase the deficit. It’s yet another example of why we need a change of direction in this country”

Last edited:
CNN.COM Thursday March 26th 2009
Hobuck- "I can't go on without my Jenna"
Senator Jimmy Hobuck has announced that he has decided to withdraw from the Republican nomination race. Hobuck, 59, said he "couldn't go on without my beloved Jenna". Jenna Hobuck passed away on March 15th from overian cancer. They had been childhood sweethearts and had married at the age of 18 in 1968, they had celebrated their 40th wedding annisevery last May.
"After long talks with my five children, I have decided that I am pulling out of the race". Asked if he would be supporting another candidate "No not at the moment".

Last edited:
CNN.COM, Thursday March 26th
Ritchie urges Wendt to pull out of the GOP race
The Republican 2002 nominee Robert Ritchie met with Congressman Sam Wendt for three hours earlier today urging him to withdraw from the 2010 presidential race.
Wendt's behaviour has become very eratic of late, appearing drunk twice in recent weeks, first at a meeting with the ACA, and then at a campaign rally in Florida. Ritchie who is running for the vacant Florida senate seat next year is said to have been sent by the RNC to urge Wendt to withdraw from the race.

Last edited:
Not sure about this, would welcome any suggestions if it contradicts any one else's thinking, or there is anything else that could be edited or added.

The Economist, Friday March 27th 2009

Leader: Troubled Times, Matthew Santos must act and act decisively to save his presidency

With an economy worsening by the day, ambitious healthcare and education plans in ruins and a death count mounting in what was originally planned to be a peace keeping mission, President Santos does not have his troubles to seek. With the Republican field for the next year’s election clarifying by the day are we watching the final throws of twelve years of democratic rule in the White House?

Not quite yet. Whilst there have been big set backs and there are major challenges ahead, Santos can still turn some to his advantage.

The economy remains a major problem. Santos has been painted by a number of Republicans as a far left liberal who is bankrupting the country in an attempt to push through the massive spending increases that he was unable to pass in the first two years of his Presidency. This is somewhat unfair.

He had little choice but to attempt some sort of stimulous plan last year, however, his inability to control his chief of staff, Josh Lyman, and the Speaker of the House Mark Sellner allowed the bill to be attacked as a Democratic wish list – largely ignoring some of the sensible stimulative policies contained in the bill. The fact that he had to eventually sign into law a bill that was initially proposed by Republican Senator Bill Armstrong Jr. turned potential victory to embarrassing defeat in spite of the fact that the basic elements of the Santos plan remained.

It’s clear that Santos must grab the initiative on the economy, the failure of his Treasury Secretary Christopher Parker to articulate a plan to deal with the banking crisis needs to be rectified immediately. If Parker doesn’t have a plan he must be replaced.

He must also find a way to work with the Republican majority in the senate. Lyman has constantly been attacked as overly partisan, but recent moves by his Deputy Chief of Staff Sam Seabourne on banking regulation reform appear to have won favor with majority leader Robert Royce and there is at last some suggestion that a form of bi-partisanship may be possible. If he can, there may still be a chance of saving at least part of his budget.

Kazakhstan must also be dealt with. When then President Bartlett sent American troops into the country it was to act as a wall between Chinese and Russian troops, however, the locals objected to their prolonged presence and early last year they found themselves fighting off terrorists attacks mainly attributed to the local population. The coup that followed overthrowing the elected government plunged the region into chaos.

With two major powers objecting to American presence in such an oil rich country and with a rogue regime in power the options available have always been narrow, but it’s Santos’ inability to decide upon and execute a clear strategy that it causing problems. Rumours of a widening rift with Secretary of State Arnold Vinick over Santos’ refusal to follow the much vaunted Antwerp Plan are another cause for concern.

This newspaper has already said that it is in the Antwerp Plan that the solution lies, and as a first step Santos must immediately commit more troops to the region, no matter how unpopular it is with his own party. This would send a clear sign that he has no intention of cutting and running and will most likely bring the key players back to the table laying the ground work for new elections that could be held by the end of the year.

Lastly he must address the failures of his healthcare and education reforms. In the midst of the economic problems introducing new and expensive reforms is unwise, but it would make sense to offer some indication of where the administration stands on the two areas that were so badly defeated in the Senate last year.

Santos will do well to note the increasing strength of the field of Republican candidates for next year’s election. The entry of Glenalen Walken who rates higher than just about any US politician in polls on strength and decisiveness may show him where the end game lies.

Very good, a mention of the Gaza peacekeeping mission could have been used... but it sums up much how I see the Santos Presidency.

Sorry about all of the delays, but I'm going to try to get a One Nation '10 PAC article up at sometime in the next few days. Still not sure how to use Gov. Wu, feel free to treat him as a Jindal analogue. Though this is the West Wing universe, everybody in politic is somewhat more telegenic and nicer and less slimy so make sure to adjust accordingly.

Okay, never mind. I've kind of run out of creative steam as far as what I was going to do with the ON10 group, so you guys can use them as you will. I was thinking of having them be a more competent version of Unity08 and eventually end up nominating Teddy Bridges and Mackenzie Allen for a third party presidential run. There would also be interference from Donald Sutherland's character, the Dixiecrat-turned-archconservative Southern Democrat Nathan Templeton, who wouldn't be Speaker of the House but still rather influential.

DistrictScene.com, Friday, March 27, 2009
One Nation '10 PAC Hosts a Bipartisan Luncheon

The political action committee One Nation '10 hosted a Bipartisan Luncheon Thursday at the Watergate Hotel. Hosted by former California Governor Teddy Bridges and political strategist Kelly Ludlow, the luncheon was well-attended and received coverage on C-SPAN 2.

Those in attendance included: Former Governor Marcus Blakemore of Michigan; Former Vice President Bob Russell; Sam Seaborn, Deputy White House Chief of Staff; Congressman Nathan Templeton; Governor Andrew Wu of North Carolina; and many others.

Templeton, who has called himself the "last conservative Democrat," has been under fire by many during the Bartlet and Santos administrations for caucusing with the Republicans since his return to Congress in 2004 after a six-year retirement. He had no Republican opposition in his 2006 and 2008 re-elections. Despite what some consider a "bipartisan" meeting, Templeton is highly critical of the PAC and its motives.

Seaborn, a liberal California Democrat, nearly won a traditionally conservative seat in Congress six years ago. Representing the Santos adminstration, Seaborn expressed interest in the ideas of a bipartisan or even nonpartisan future, but feels it is inconceivable in the short term.

Governors Blakemore and Wu failed to comment on the proceedings, being invited as potential presidential candidates and possibly expanding their power base should either decide to run. Wu, with support by some in the Republican establishment, will hold a press conference later on in the week to address some of the recent economic issues.

Vice President Russell, who spends most of his time at the recently opened Vice-Presidential Centre in Washington, attended on invitation from C.J. Cregg (who failed to attend, citing family issues). Russell considered the luncheon to be a "laugh-and-a-half," and stated that he "hadn't sat around doing nothing this much since the last time [he] held national office."

Although President Santos, and the eight declared Republican presidential candidates were all invited to attend but declined. Santos sent Seaborn in his stead, and while one candidate accepted (Congressman Sam Wendt), he later sent his apologies for not being able to attend.

Eh... I'll come up with some hard news about them soon. Here's some future *hard* news:

NBC.com, Sunday, March 29, 2009
Berryhill on Meet the Press: "I am accepting advice, contributions" On Presidential Run

Former Secretary of State Lewis Berryhill appeared on Meet the Press in an hour-long interview this morning, discussing the current state of foreign affairs in a much-needed break from the latest installments' focus on the economy and finance.

Berryhill, for the first time, confirmed that he has begun an exploratory committee and plans on giving at least a "West Point try" for the Democratic presidential nomination, a feat even the Secretary stated would be a longshot. Berryhill said that longshots weren't out of the question, "and Presidents Polk, Carter, Bartlet, and Santos would agree."

When asked about his disagreements with Santos, Berryhill stated that he "never met the man," but would only run "for the good of the nation, the world, and the people."

When asked about the Republican candidates, Berryhill brushed off the question, stating that, at this point, he would only worry about Democratic opponents.

Berryhill entering the race could be a severe blow to the Santos campaign, which expected to face no opposition for the 2010 nomination. Rumors have been circulating that White House Chief of Staff Josh Lyman may attempt to smear or otherwise discredit Secretary Berryhill.

What was that? He was supposed to be on last Sunday? It appears the good Secretary postponed the interview for undisclosed reasons. Back to the present day:

Washington Examiner, Friday, March 27, 2009
Wendt Campaign Derails

Dan Franks, Campaign Manager for "Wendt for 2010," Congressman Sam Wendt's Presidential Campaign, has resigned in protest and accepted a position as Deputy Campaign Manager for Strategy in the Ray Sullivan campaign.

Franks has publicly refused interviews, but it is assumed he is leaving over Wendt's rumored "drunken escapades." Franks took most of the campaign staff with him, and the Republican National Committee officially froze Wendt's funding earlier in the week.

Although he has not withdrawn from the race, top Republicans have considered Wendt a "nonentity" in the pre-primary season and he has tentatively cancelled all future scheduled appearances.

Dan Franks and Wiliam Russ (of Boy Meets World fame) look very similar, and that means Franks is intended to have (briefly at least) worked on the Vinick/Sullivan '06 campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.