¡Viva La Revolución! A Mexican TL Where Porfirio Diaz Allows Free and Fair Elections in 1910

Hello there. This is a timeline with a POD right before the elections of 1910 in Mexico, the POD is Diaz for reasons that crazy old mustached villain only knows decided to allow Madero to run for office which led to his victory. In the OTL, Diaz was worried about Madero's chances so this is a plausible POD. In the OTL, Diaz decided to jail Madero and then win a rigged election afterwards only to be overthrown by a revolt initiated by Madero and those who sympathized with him putting Mexico on the road to the glorious revolution of Mustached men and gun wielding women. I have been waiting till I finished another timeline to start posting this one, however I have run into a writer's block of sorts and don't wish to hold off on this one any longer.

A fair warning, I am not writing this timeline with a "professional" tone. My writing will be a bit dynamic as I see fit. I am not looking to make people laugh, as I am no good with jokes. I just felt like being a bit...snarky in this timeline. Not sure if "snark" is the right word. You decide.

Viva la revolución resize.jpg

Chapter 1: Porfirio Diaz Sets the Monarch Butterflies Free
¡Viva La Revolución! A Mexican TL Where Porfirio Diaz Allows Free and Fair Elections in 1910.

¡Viva la Revolución!

Chapter 1: Porfirio Diaz Sets the Monarch Butterflies Free

Porfirio’s Choice

D4fHB6HVUAI5xry.jpg

Translation
Host: "What are you doing here Porfirio Diaz?"
Diaz: "I heard there are elections here"
(image link)​

History is marked by a series of crossroads. A choice, an event, or even something as small as the change of the wind can set an entire nation into ruin or a golden age. Some choices are made without warning defying every odd baffling historian in the days to come who would vainly struggle to comprehend that which in the end cannot be comprehended. One such choice belonged to Porfirio Diaz and the storm of change he had unleashed. He sat behind his desk in his office in the national palace. It was within his power to swing the pendulum to favor him in the upcoming elections. He knew that the nation has grown tired with his endless rule. He also knew that if not for him Mexico would descend into anarchy. He had plenty of followers vying to take over after he leaves, be it via retirement or a body bag. The economic depression of 1907 hit his network of patronage hard. Ungrateful elites began grumbling about their misfortune. Restless peasants who lost land to the large landowners through state appropriation, predatory loans, hostile buy outs, and forced eviction were demanding change. Urban working class chaffed under the harsh working conditions and pitiful pay sought alleviation from political movements that promised to upend the social order. And then, the annoying little middle class always wanting to grab what didn’t belong to them in the vain hopes of escaping their impoverished beginnings.

Maybe it was foresight or ego, but whatever it was, he felt it in his bones, he smelled it in the air. It left a taste in his mouth hard to identify. But Mexico was a powder keg and he was tired, he was just simply tired in his old age. The opposition and his followers were children with matches and he was the only one standing between the flame and the gunpowder. Then again, he was a sick man. No, not just in morals but in health too. He knew that he couldn’t stay in power for long. Sooner or later it would all blow up. Diaz wasn’t going to let history pin the blame on him, he did everything he could for the ungrateful country. He stabilized the politics once pull tither and hither by conservatives and liberals. He finally brought the modern world to Mexico, and under his reign Mexico’s GDP growth multiplied many times finally attracting immigrants to the country long ignored by them and a wealth of unprecedented investment. He ushered in the 20th century, the world was now within reach, but even now the miscreant Madero clan was gnawing at his ankles upset at being left out of the loop. They were resentful that despite their vast wealth and influence they had little say in government. It wasn’t his fault, they only needed to play ball, but they wanted to live by their own rules and their precious little son now had delusions of grandeur in politics. Worst of all, the ungrateful people have taken a liking to Paquito, as that little brat Francisco I. Madero ought to be called.

He made his choice. He would choose to end it all on his terms. So, he made the order and made sure that all necessary personnel would know of it. The elections of 1910 would be free and fair elections. The best man will win, though deep down he knew that Madero would be that “best man” he still held hope that Mexicans will come their senses, and remember all the good he did for them. During his rule, no foreign navy showed up at Veracruz, no one came in demanding debt payments, no coups, no wars, no uprisings…well except for those pesky indigenous people who held some notion of having some sort of special claim to the land, since when was being first justification for anything? The Spaniards ruled Mexico before that crazy priest started a riot, that didn’t prevent Iturbide or Victoria from claiming ot be its rightful ruler and a lot of good that did. Surely the Mexican people would know better? He laughed thinking about that poor boy once he realizes how ridiculous his claims were.[1]

On December 1st, 1910 Francisco I Madero became the president of the United Mexican States, the first democratically elected one since 1872, or 1876 depending on who you ask, after having defeated Bernardo Reyes who ran as Diaz’s successor. Since late 1908 Madero backed by his powerful family began building a coalition making use of discontent moderates and desperate, and disparate, urban and rural working people with promises of reform and justice. Each state had elected a respectable number of reformist legislators. Congress also saw a great deal of victories for Madero. Porfirio Diaz was firm in keeping his people inline, he was clear that this was what was going to happen. The most cynical might think that Diaz did this so that people would always say “Mexico was better with Diaz in charge”, that it would secure his legacy as the best president Mexico ever had for no other Mexican leader could claim over 30 years of consistent stable rule. Considering what kind of man he was, this is actually a pretty sound theory. The truth would be a mystery to historians, but in truth…Diaz wanted Mexico to yearn for him, to demand for his return, to show him the love that they so unwisely withheld.

-----

“They’ll realize that I was the reason they enjoyed peace and prosperity,” Diaz said as he finished signing his final orders, “I was the best thing that ever happened to Mexico. This Paquito is inept and will see the country torn. They’ll be back! Soon come crying to me asking for me to fix it, and do you know what I will say?”

A young Maderista clerk stood across the desk from him with his mouth open and a question in his eyes.

“Señor Presidente?” He finally uttered.

“I’ll say too bad! They had their chance! Ungrateful people, that’s what Mexico is. UNGRATEFUL!” Diaz shouted “Imbeciles! What comes next? Don’t you know it is hard to rule? Do you even have a clue what happens now?” The Clerk unsure stood like a deer in the headlights. The poor full had no way of knowing what was going on, has he finally snapped?. Diaz walked around his desk, or rather Francisco Madero’s desk, murmuring under his breath and then spoke out loud, “Just wait and see, you’ll come back. When your people say they hate you, don’t come crawling back to me.”

“Are…are you talking to me sir?” the nervous Clerk spoke. Diaz just stood there, his eyes still as water in a pond with no wind nor waves.

“You say you want me gone, you’ll be the one complaining when I am gone. What comes next?”

Diaz turned and found his way towards the door without looking back and left. The Clerk stood there for a moment after Diaz closed the door behind him. “Hombre loco” he uttered and committed himself to not give the old fart’s rant any further thought. President Madero was going to arrive within the hour and he needed to make sure everything would be ready for him.

------

Madero’s Presidential “Honeymoon”

He was a rich man, endowed by a family of rich landowners. A reformer, who wanted to end the single-handed rule of Porfirio. He took power on December 1st as the duly elected president of Mexico. This upset many in Washington DC and many elites in Mexico too. Madero didn’t waste time in setting up his cabinet, and his policy. His goal was to address the many abuses of the Porfiriato, the appellation of Diaz’s iron fisted rule. However, he wasn’t about to upend the social order. He was in no rush.

----

“Make sure to meet with the congressmen too,” Madero told Manuel Calero y Seirra, “Remember, unlike my predecessor’s government, their Congress is the one that really calls all the shots and they answer to the very companies that control our natural resources. We need their cooperation in order to pass some of our reforms.”

“And the Chamizal?” Calero asked, “Should we still press them on that?”

Madero waited for a moment and nodded, “Yes, we can’t go to them as children asking for permission to play with a toy. We must show them that Mexico commands the respect of her sovereignty”

“On that note,” said Abraham Gonzalez Casavantes, Secretary of the Interior “we need to discuss the issue of Diaz’s loyalists. They represent a real threat to your administration, we should start by focusing on the military leadership.”

“There’s no need, they will adhere to the will of the people,” Madero responded in his typical naïve way, “It’s not like one of the generals will side with a ten-day coup against me in the streets of Mexico City orchestrated by an American ambassador”.

It is said that at that moment a Henry Lane Wilson, US Ambassador to Mexico, sneezed as he shared a cop of hot cocao with Mexican General Victoriano Huerta who apparently also sneezed at the same time.

“Someone must be speaking about us,” Wilson allegedly said to a perplexed Huerta who was not too familiar with that particular colloquialism.

-----

Madero’s first act was to order an investigation on the Yaqui people and to negotiate their release from any form of bondage as they had been sadly enslaved in a nation where slavery was illegal. His second act was to propose union friendly legislation to solve the many issues workers found in Mexico’s few factories and many fields. This legislation was divided into several parts, but one monster of a proposed law also entered the sanctity of Mexico’s Congress. The beast went by the name of land reform. And finally, constitutional amendments prohibiting re-elections. Mexico was set on the path to democracy, stability, growth, freedom, the fulfilment of Hidalgo’s dream with no more barriers in sight…or so everyone thought, and by everyone that means Madero really.

During Madero’s first few months these propositions caused trouble. For starters, many “owners” of Yaqui “not slaves but let’s be real, they are slaves” refused to recognize any federal action that would deprive them of their cheap labor. This forced Madero to send in the dreaded federal police which proceeded to drag its feet considering that the very same landowners they were to force also happened to be their patrons. Then the proposed union laws met stiff resistance from both elites in Mexico and the government of the United States in the form of foreign pressure and challenges to the legality of the laws. While the fair and free elections ousted many of Diaz’s henchmen in the different levels of government, some still remained and constantly acted as barriers against any new government policy.

Many conservatives who favored the Porfiriato opposed Madero’s reforms. But luckily for Madero, the fair elections of 1910 offered him many supporters in Congress. Madero was able to bypass most of the above-board resistance in order to effectively govern the country, but there was still too much resistance for many of his reforms, especially in the state and local levels that saw large swaths of Diaz aficionados. The Yaqui restitution bills did pass by May 1911. He lost the battle to amend the constitution and decided to wait for the next congressional elections to get a more favorable congress to pursue further reforms. [2]

The situation in the local state governments weren’t that different and best exemplified by the state of Puebla.

Some union friendly legislation did manage to pass congress, but it was gutted. This however made American investors nervous and Mexican Diaz fans angry. Several of Diaz’s supporters and the US Ambassador to Spain approached Diaz in his self-imposed exile in Spain asking him to return and lead a coup or at least bless a coup to restore order. Diaz, being the old stubborn man that he was, remained resolute in his choice much to everyone’s consternation, his mustache would not budge. That was the only good thing he did for Mexico…other than some industrialization and stability, it’s basically a “What has the Porfiriato ever done for us” type of situation. The trains did sort of run on time during his rule after all…even though few Mexicans rode in them.

“Las Dificultades de México” The Mexican Troubles Begin

Things were going as well as they could be expected, that is until Madero betrayed his supporters in failing to pass meaningful land reform. In July of 1911 “The Troubles”, as they were called, began. They were a series of attempted and short-lived military engagements with disaffected groups on both sides of the political spectrum. Madero was too revolutionary for some, too radical and he had to be stopped. For others, he was too conciliatory with the Porfiriato Elite, too conservative and he betrayed those who placed him in power, the people and thus something had to be done.

Emiliano Zapata came from a small hacienda family sympathetic to the plight of the indigenous people who lived in his home town of Anenecuilco in the state of Morelos. He was a Mestizo of Nahua and Spanish ancestry and a man of vision, and the bottle. Little known fact, the guy really loved the devil’s juice but don’t say that to a patriotic Mexican because that there are fighting words. Having experienced and witnessed the abuses against workers and the destructive expansion of haciendas on lower class family properties under the Porfiriato, Zapata became a staunch Madero supporter. After the elections Zapata lobbied Madero for land reform, to return land stolen from the locals by impersonal uncaring cold hacienda owners. All he got for his efforts was a T-Shirt with gutted union laws on it and he most certainly was not amused.

The straw that brook the revolutionary camel’s back was the appointment of a Porfirio type governor in Morelos, a concession Madero made to conservatives in exchange for a budget aimed to modernize the navy. To his credit, Madero wasted most of his political capital on virtually useless pro union laws (they were passed with little to no “teeth” in the way of enforcement) so he had no choice but to give into a few demands to continue to whip up enough support in Congress to pass as many things as he could in order to lay in the “ground work for change”.

In June of 1911 Zapata began campaigning hard for an opposition against Madero and the conservatives. He established his political manifesto in what became known as the “Plan de Alaya” and began building a small band of men willing to fight for it not just politically, but militarily if needed. It was around this time that General Felix Diaz, the nephew to that creped old man Porfirio Diaz, took a detachment of his most loyal soldiers and rebelled against Madero. [3]

Felix Diaz feared that Zapata would be a bit too competent when compared to Madero and rose against him in July 14th, 1911 in the State of Veracruz and achieved the support of several military commanders. Madero mobilized the federal army still loyal to him in Veracruz with reinforcements from the first Mexican Marine battalion (A concession to the navy for its support) and defeated Diaz on August 4th Diaz surrendered and was imprisoned in Mexico City, as were several of his co-conspirators. Bernado Reyes launched his own Pro-Porfiriato revolt in November of the same year in the state of Nuevo Leon, but found that too few were willing to join due to Diaz’s quick and sudden defeat and he too was imprisoned. His rebellion lasted no longer than a week.

Then in December of 1911 another revolt broke out, this time in the anti-Porfirio camp led by Emiliano Vazquez Gomez in the state of Oaxaca. Much like Diaz, that too was quickly put down after a month of fighting but Vazquez managed to escape into exile.

These revolts gave Madero and the Progressive Constitutionalist Party (PCP) leverage to declare a soft “purge” of Porfirato malcontents, a move pushed by Madero’s Secretary of the Interior, Abraham Gonzalez Casavantes, many would go only when persuaded with bullets causing weeks of reports of gun fights and street battles. Throughout the first few months of 1912 Maduro finally yielded results and managed to gain the loyalty of the “Cientificos”, technocrats that made up the apparatus of Porfirio Diaz’s regime, as well as bring about an influx of new immigrants and recent native graduates from Mexican schools to fill the ranks of the Cientificos. [4] These changes were not popular among the elite or Washington DC, especially a one Henry Lane Wilson, Ambassador of the United States to Mexico and meddler extraordinaire. Fun fact, Henry Lane Wilson’s favorite pass time was the violent overthrow of democratically elected governments…Rumor has it that he, on occasion, engages in of talking peace and making a rare trade deal or two. But no self-respecting American Ambassador to Latin America would ever be caught dead dabbling in diplomacy.

------------------------------------

[1] My POD, what if Porfirio Diaz decided not to cheat and accept losing? Madero did meet Diaz in April to taco-bout it (sorry, okay not sorry). According to Madero’s account Diaz offered a deal involving Madero stepping down for this election. But let’s say that Diaz actually assured Madero that the election would be fair and did so with enough time for Madero to form a political movement behind him for the elections?

[2] Since there was no Diaz transitional government, that means Diaz’s supporters couldn’t organize quick enough and Madero was able to feel a little less compelled to be as reconciliatory with them ITTL as he was in the OTL. However, Madero is still going to be Madero.

[3] ITTL Zapata didn’t go directly for military confrontation hoping that at least Madero would allow for the fair political process to work. However, he was keenly aware of the possibility that Madero was not truly in control anymore. OTL Felix Diaz started his revolt at a different time. It’s one of those Monarch Butterflies.

[4] IOTL this happened with Madero’s rebellion, but ITTL there was no initial rebellion so they managed to hold on to power. I had to catch a few Monarch Butterflies, I hope it’s not too much of an issue.

Chapter 2: The Road to The Ten Patriotic Days
Author's Notes: Two things to keep in mind that are drastically different ITTL than the OTL. In the OTL Madero was placed in power by a rebel uprising against Porfirio Diaz, which meant that Mexico had two armies (and almost two governments). A Federal Army built by Diaz, and a loosely connected series of rebel armies which refused to disband until they saw reforms. This led to a lot of skirmishes between rebels who backed the president and federal soldiers (yeah, it was a bit confusing). Rebel leaders were routinely frozen out of government positions by conservatives, and Madero allowed it to happen because he preferred to be conciliatory and "unite" people. Keep in mind that Madero comes from a stupidly rich family and is more keen to sympathize with middle class moderates than the more liberal masses of the common people. This just allowed conservatives to push out liberals and rebel leaders and then continue the abuses of Diaz's regime since middle class moderates feared the chaos more than the reactionaries' plans. ITTL, there was no rebel up rising, however pro-Madero militias did form. The militias have more political power and influence because their leaders got elected into many local, state, and federal positions so Madero doesn't need to be nearly as conciliatory as he was in the OTL and those rebels have constitutional authority of their own. This actually prevents and/or minimizes a lot of the chaos, and suspicion that rebel leaders such as Emilio Zapata had regarding Madero and allows for a relatively more stable Mexico that can enact some minimal reforms. The problems described below are a much more manageable version of what Madero faced in the OTL (relatively). Imagine the situation I described above and how much more messy each issue would be. I say this because this justifies...future events after this update.

Chapter 2: The Road to The Ten Patriotic Days

Madero Annoys a Gringo

3Nz16Fe_Qvii8v06sqcFodJOyGCLDkzaLgXp6fMTuUSq5hYikUASVx0QvrlvgcUTWYXgCLJe8fs6XlEYL3Wtlsnbn60pUQgTosUO1lQ

Henry Lane Wilson, US ambassador to Mexico distrusted Madero and really didn't care much for Mexico or its people.
His aim was to ensure that Mexico would continue to act as it had under Diaz, as an unfettered cash cow for American companies.

Despite the events during the year 1911, Madero worked hard to continue to govern Mexico which felt like it could blow up any moment, it was a taste in Madero’s mouth that he quite didn’t understand. However, one of his successful reforms was freedom of speech. The press began attacking Madero left and right. He was no Goldilocks, he couldn’t find that elusive middle ground and no matter what he did, someone got offended and sometimes grabbed a few men and guns to show exactly how offended they got.

But first, some of Madero’s actions in the period between June 1911-March 1912, the year of the troubles, merit a mention or two. Madero managed to win some minor railroad expansion bills, built a few new schools, and created the Department of Labor and began using his executive powers and pressuring several states to enforce labor and union laws passed earlier on in his administration. It certainly helped that he got the Cientificos on his side in early 1912. Also worthy of a mention was a law that barred English speaking workers from working the railroads, especially the new ones Madero was making all over Mexico. The ban itself was designed to force foreign companies to hire Mexican supervisors and train Mexicans for any specialized work that is required. The Porfiriato had managed to modernize Mexico’s transportation infrastructure, however it was designed to favor foreigners and their foreign investments, this also meant that skilled labor came from foreigners as well as managers and supervisors. By forcing these companies to hire Mexican labor, the hope was that this would lead to Mexicans gaining important skills and lifting up their families from poverty.

Education, medical care, jobs in the industrial sector, all of the benefits of modernity were for the benefit of foreign investers. The only Mexicans who stood to benefit were the small elite whose wealth was traced long before Porfirio’s regime. The US controlled vast majorities of Mexico’s natural resources and railroads, and American companies were rather paranoid about anything that approximated a threat to their power and control. Forcing these companies to hire Mexicans was taken as a sign of things to come, as a form of latent Marxism. This captured the attention of lobbyists in the Goliath to the North.

Henry Lane Wilson, the US ambassador to Mexico, was most certainly not amused by Madero’s administration, and neither were the American investors he represented. Henry became a thorn to Madero’s side constantly chatting up conservatives and providing comments to the press that not only walked the line between representing his nation’s interests and meddling but crossing it in the most egregious manner. He also began sounding the alarmist bells back home in the US about communists and fascists and bandits and leprechauns (okay, maybe not leprechauns but he might as well have). This brought down pressure on Madero from the United States to walk back his reformist attitude. But for now, the US remained on the sidelines and avoided any overt actions to pressure the Mexican government.

Madero Annoys a Mexican

Pascual Orozco of Chihuahua took up arms against Madero’s government establishing his own plan, the “Plan de Empacadora” on January 21st 1913. Orozco’s grievances included ineffective legislation, too much compromise, and the appointment of conservative governors. During the first two years of his administration, Madero found himself in the position of supporting federalist reforms while at the same time trying to find a way to get the state governments controlled by Porfiristas to toe the line. Several govenerships and other state positions were given Porfiristas whom Madero felt were moderate, however they ended up betraying his trust by pushing out Constitutionalists from positions of power and influence in local politics.

The political turmoil in Puebla can be seen as a good example of Madero’s short sightedness when dealing with such a volatile political landscape. Madero had managed to replace the Porfirista governor with Jose Rafael Isunza. He was unable to deal effectively with Porfiristas who still made up a sizable portion of the state’s government. Jose Rafael Isunza attempted to placate both sides and erred on the side of moderation. Madero was approached by a committee of his more moderate supporters, largely connected middle class politicians and businessmen, to replace Puebla’s interim governor with Felipe T Contreras or Rafael Cañete. Madero nominated both men to the state’s congress which began deliberations. Cañete was favored by Porfiristas while constitutionalists favored Contreras. Contreras wasn’t really liked by the masses. A Camerino Z Mendoza, who had raised a pro-constitutionalist militia during the 1910 elections, was the more popular option for the working class and rural poor. With the state congress split between equal sized Constitutionalists and Porfiristas with a small swing vote of moderates, the debates became contentious. Cañete promised to push through reforms, however he held a largely conciliatory message for the elites. Contreras, on the other hand, failed to seek Mendoza’s support leading to Cañete being selected for the governorship. A similar scene played out in various others states as well as in many cities. While Constitutionalists did win as often as Porfiristas, each Porfirista victory was another set back for the Constitutionalist cause, and it further radicalized some elements among the common classes.

Overshadowed by setbacks and the failure to meet the expectations of the common people were several positive reforms and victories over Porfiristas by Cañete. Moderates largely formed by the middle class, sought law and order as the primary prerequisite for any reforms. Madero managed to convince Mendoza to cooperate with Cañete whom, along with Contreras, became advisors to the governor. To placate Mendoza and win concessions from him, Cañete managed to leverage the Constitutionalists in Congress and the moderates to fund new schools in the rural country side as well as clinics, infrastructure, and drafted a state law adding ways to enforce the federal government’s labor laws passed earlier on. In exchange, militia leaders agreed to prevent any use of the militiamen, weapons, and war supplies from leaving the state especially after a small group of militiamen began attacking state authorities in neighboring Tlaxcala whose Porfirista governor had taken steps to block out constitutionalists from any position of power. The action to prevent aid to neighboring rebels was seen as a betrayal and blamed on the governor paralyzing any further reforms. [1]

Some progressives began to think that Madero was planning on setting up his own “Maderato” to replace the Porfiriato, and thus why Madero seemed to inept to counter Porfirista victories. This would explain why no anti-reelection legislation or amendments had been passed, or significant land reforms. Much like the Plan de Alaya, the Plan de Empacadora featured both issues regarding reelection and land reform as the main focus of their respective revolts. It also contained the promise of positions for its supporters such militia leaders.

Orozco’s uprising followed a similar pattern as the one in Tlaxacala, however it was larger and more organized. Madero brought in Victoriano Huerta, a Porfirio Diaz loyalist, out of retirement to fight Orozco. Victoriano took his troops and began a campaign against Orozco in Chihuahua, managing to contain the fighting within that state. By May, Huerta secured several victories in gunfights mostly held near militia compounds frustrating Orozco’s attempts to form an organized army. The fighting would progress well into August when Emiliano Zapata, who was angered by the events in Puebla and Tlaxcala, began gathering an army planning to act should Madero not follow through his plans. This caused tension between the federal government and the state government of Morelos which mostly backed Zapata. [2]

Madero’s Modernization or rather Maderonization 😊[3]​

Madero took some of Bernado Reyes’ plans for a naval build up drafted earlier in the late 1890’s to heart. During the beginning of the troubles in 1911, Madero received funds to build up the Mexican fleet. [4] Mexico’s navy consisted of 4 gunships of more or less 500 tons (The Democrata and Independencia class) from the 1890’s, two Tampico Class armed transports of 900 and 1400 tons each, and 3 light cruisers between 1000 and 1800 tons plus several auxiliary and coastal support ships whose operations are limited to a few miles from the coast. Most of those ships were built no later than the early 1890s, which left Mexico with a small and outdated navy Madero had Commodore Manuel Azueta, whose naval forces helped defeat Felix Diaz, organize the modernization of the Gulf Fleet.

Azueta worked on upgrading the gulf fleet from 1911-1913. Mexico acquired 2 new 2,000 ton armed transport ships using an upgraded design to that of the Independencia class, one 4,000 ton protected cruiser and 4 torpedo ships of about 1,000 tons each mostly from Spanish and American Shipyards and four 1,000 ton gunship. A similar order was also placed for the Pacific Fleet to follow. It was hopped that Mexico would be able to have aquire heavier ships in the following decade along with more light vessels. Madero initially was reluctant to invest so heavily in the navy, but Azueta insisted on the investment[5]

Image (link for image credit)Size, main armament etc
Aquired by 1913/Planned by 1920​
Protected Cruiser
Protected Cruiser Tenochtitlan.png
2,000 Tons, 2 100pdr guns, 4x20cm guns,2/4
Torpedo Ship
Torpedo Gunboat Ruiz Estrada.png
1,000 Tons, 4x20cm guns, 2 torpedo launchers4/8
Gunboat
Gunboat Oaxaca.png
1,000 tons4/8
Troop Transport
Sloop Chapultepec.png
2,000 Tons, 4x20CM guns, 400 troops2/

Diagrama-caoners-3-y-4_thumb.jpg

Plans drawn up by Bernado Reyes during Diaz' administration. He planned to build 4 1000 ton gunships as depicted in this image, two torpedo destroyers, and half a dozen other steam powered vessels for each coast. His enemies and Diaz's paranoia led to him being reassigned elsewhere and plans ignored by 1902. During Madero's administration, his plans were revived.​

Along with the navy, Madero also sought modernization elsewhere such as investing into airplanes and their potential military applications via the creation of the TNCA, the National Aeronautic Construction Workshop (Talleres Nacionales de Construcciones Aeronauticas in Spanish) which was to be led by early aviation Mexican innovators, the Aldasoro brothers, who built their own plane and flew it some five years after the Wright Brothers. They gathered a team of inventers, engineers and pilots in Mexico to develop native aviation technology. One of their early inventions was a new engine for which TNCA would use to power its early prototypes and eventually paired with the indigenously designed Anahuac propeller and also pushed for the creation of aviation schools and programs by 1913. Madero became the first sitting world leader to take to the skies in November 30, 1911 due to his fascination on the subject and his belief in its importance, although his infatuation with flight was the fuel of much mockery by his opponents. These investments would pay off as Mexico would begin to catch up with other aviation leaders of that era. [6]

General Mondragon was given the task of advancing ground based military technology. This included domestic production of the world’s first semi-automatic rifle to be used by a standing army, the M1908 Mondragon rifle, an earlier deal with the Swiss company SIG signed under Diaz’s administration was renegotiated to allow for both joint Swiss/Mexican production of the weapon and munitions. He also continued to develop his 75mm artillery designed by Émile Rimailho and produced with the aid of a the French Saint-Chamond manufacturer , and the modification of several naval guns with projects investigating a new set of indigenously designed ship borne artillery. To further these technological innovations, general Mondragon was reassigned from military command into a government-based company, Armamex, early in Madero’s administration. [6] During this time, rising star General Pancho Villa also convinced his home state, Durango, to help his friend Rafael Mendoza Blanco to start his own manufacturing concerns, Productos Mendoza, which would also focus on weapons tech and serve as domestic competition for Armamex. [7]

On the civilian side, Madero began working with Mexican investors and establishing government firms to incentivize the development of civil engineering. He continued railroad expansion and began investigating options for developing domestic industries to end reliance on foreign companies. He also worked to attract foreign intellectuals and incentivize them to immigrate to Mexico to help replace some of the Cientificos. He also pushed back against foreign investors which did cause problems as Mexico’s economic growth began to slow, the Mexican Troubles certainly didn’t help matters either.

Madero and The Church

Madero did enjoy support from various factions within the Catholic Church in Mexico, and these came in handy with dealing with the unending skirmishes with Zapatisas and Orozco’s revolt in Chihuahua. Tensions between Native Mexicans in the Yucatan Peninsula and landowner descendants of the old colonial landowning criollo families and well to do mestizos began erupting into open conflict around November 1912. Madero managed to find allies among bishops and priests in the area as well as a youth movement, the ACJM (Asociación Catolica de la Juventud Méxicana, the Catholic Association of the Mexican Youth). Together he managed to work some minor sales of church land to the hacienda owners in the Yucatan which then transferred their own lands to many locals. [8] This plan worked for a few months at first.

This land transfer scheme in the Yucatan made many throughout Mexico, as the word spread, demand a similar approach given that the church held large tracts of land that was often times unused. Madero began attempting to push through similar deals which did bring about some results until cooperation started to evaporate before him. It turns out, that much of the land given by the Hacienda owners ended up being of the least quality and it was not traded acre for acre. The Church stopped dealing with Madero fearing that its reputation would be tainted by what turned out to be a farce.

Madero reacted harshly against the church, being a Catholic in name only, which then in turn lost him the support of many Catholics, some of which turned towards Zapata and Orozco and others joined anti-Madero bandits that began forming much to the Church’s consternation. The Yucatan descended once again into violence forcing Madero to send in the troops to pacify the area.

Madero messed up, and he messed up badly. His attempts would be the seeds for Carranza’s anti-clerical designs which complicated the coming constitutional convention. But Madero, for his part, worked hard to reconcile with the Church and walk back his criticisms, another act of conciliatory vanity in the eyes of some. It seems at this point that nothing that Madero did worked out for him. Someone was always offended.

Madero and Whispers in the Dark

By the end of 1912, conservatives saw the inability of Madero to put down the revolts and his blunder in the Yucatan as a sign that he was inept. It became apparent that they couldn’t simply frustrate his efforts and then wait until he gave up or the next elections. Mondragon, Huerta, Wilson, and others began conspiring against El Presidente. Huerta pushed for a long game, hoping to act as soon as he dispatched Orozco’s forces.

The initial plan to act in February was delayed by about a month as the other conspirators attempted to convince Huerta that the time to act was at hand. By the ides of March, the conspiracy could not wait for Brutus. This led to “La Decena Patriotica” or the Ten Patriotic Days that changed Mexico’s fate ushering in a sociopolitical and cultural revolution that would define the beginning of the 20th century for Mexico [9]. Once again, it was in Puebla that exemplifies this issue, several Porfiristas began conspiring to have Madero killed. Madero interfered with an investigation after several individuals were arrested, fearing that this would exacerbate tensions between the different factions in the state. It was during the same time that several labor disputes in the cities in Tlaxcala erupted and soon spread to Mexico City and Puebla. While the labor reforms did help out rural workers, especially with the requirements aimed at reducing foreign supervisors, these did not apply to factory workers. The Puebla state government attempted to expand those protections to the factories, however they were blocked by the courts upon constitutional challenges. Unlike the legislature, the judicial system in Puebla was largely populated by Porfiristas. Madero frustrated efforts from reformers to change the constitution fearing that it would cause an outbreak of hostilities, and he favored order over reform. Despite his many attempts to be conciliatory towards Porfiristas, they still sought his removal and the reversal of his limited reforms.[10]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the ship images: I got the images from this thread. I recommend reading the posts as it has an interesting Mexican Empire alternate history and to also give support to such a cool poster who made an amazing series of fleets for their Althist Mexican navy.

[1] In the OTL, Cañete was chosen by a largely Porfirista legislature preventing any purge of Porfiristas. Here the issue isn’t that Puebla is controlled by Porfiristas, but that it is paralyzed by both blocks fighting for supremacy while a small swing vote gives the Porfiristas some concessions. It’s very similar, though a bit different, for example ITTL he did pass some reforms targeting rural populations and was able to allow OTL rebel leaders into some positions of power, especially locally. Something that didn’t take place in the OTL. These was much the same throughout the country and led to violence by rebels making Madero’s job even harder allowing for his eventual overthrow and the chaos of the revolution.

[2] The timing ITTL is very different than IOTL. Zapata’s delayed action here was based on hope in the political process, but Madero seems to have done everything he could to take away his faith. However he’s not fighting, he wants to see what Madero does next.

[3] I regret nothing!...please don’t stop reading this ☹

[4] OTL he was concerned with modernization but Mexico just came out of a conflict to get him into power so things were more unstable OTL than TTL…relatively speaking.

[5] This is based on the plans drawn up IOTL on 1917 as well as actual plans drawn by Bernado Reyes under Diaz which were abandoned for political reasons.

[6] The only difference here is how this is all playing out and its intensity. The Aldasoro brothers, the Anahuac propellers, the TNCA, Madero’s flight and interest…all of it is OTL.

[7] OTL Mondragon did oversee the development of the first bolt action repeating rifle, and the new canon described here. Armamex is TTL’s invention, but not Productos Mendoza, Mendoza did work with Villa but as a revolutionary and not a Durango State backed company by a Pancho Villa who works with the sitting president.

[8] Everything but the land swap is OTL.

[9] This is TTL’s version of the Ten Tragic Days, La Decena Tragica, in which Madero was couped and killed ushering in over a decade of fighting and instability.

[10] In the OTL, factories were staffed by foreign supervisors who were even more harsh than their counterparts in countries like the US. Physical punishment against workers who didn’t live up to their unrealistic expectations was not uncommon. Workers attempted to strike only to be crushed by soldiers then followed by armed reprisals against the factories themselves. This added to similar hostilities in the countryside. ITTL, the Rural population is much more placated due to greater concessions and even political positions, a later update will discuss how this impacts the urban workers.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: La Decena Patriótica, The Ten Patriotic Days
Chapter 3: La Decena Patriótica, The Ten Patriotic Days

Revolucio%CC%81n-Mexicana_01.jpg

Artistic Depiction of the March of Loyalty. Mexicans joining Madero to defend democracy in Mexico.
(Image Credit C)

The Not So Patriotic Conspiracy and Background
In 1912 Mondragon was busy establishing his government backed arms company when he got an invitation to Cuba to meet some shady figures for fishy business and some cigars. There were already rumors of embezzling funds and his anti-Madero views were not a secret. However, he found himself with Porfirio Diaz aficionados such as General Gregorio Ruiz and Mexican capitalist Cecilio Ocon in Habana, Cuba. The conspiracy also would involve Henry Lane Wilson, the US ambassador to Mexico though he was not present at that meeting for he was too busy trying to convince business men and well to do lawmakers in Mexico City to jump on the Anti-Madero bandwagon. Some unsubstantiated rumors also claimed that he on occasion engaged in some diplomatic work, apparently people expected him to do that stuff for some reason.

The conspiracy’s goals were to free generals Felix Diaz and Bernado Reyes, capture the national palace, force Madero to resign and place General Victoriano Huerta in charge as a sort of “Porfirio Diaz 2.0”. Manuel Mondragon for his part, was reluctant to participate as he has found interests that temporarily aligned with Madero. Before being appointed by Madero to head Armamex, he was already conspiring to place his name on his inventions, skim a less than honest profit out of them, and continue his corrupt ways. Fascinatingly enough, Madero gave him a more legitimate way to achieve most of those goals through Armamex. He gave his co-conspirators support but claimed he would be better off assisting from a distance, in reality he wanted to see which way the wind would blow before setting sail to join the conspirators in what could be either a successful coup or a disastrous act of high treason. [1]

Victoriano Huerta, for his part, felt that it was too soon to act given that each rebellion was put down rather rapidly except for Orosco’s rebellion which he was assigned to fight. By January, with the aid of General Villa, Huerta was able to defeat the last of Orosco’s forces and began making his way with his most loyal men to Mexico City to “celibrate” the victory. Pancho Villa’s mustache must have sensed his true intentions for he wired Madero a message that he felt that “General Huerta’s motivations for defeating Orosco have less to do with loyalty to El Presidente and more to do with his distaste of the new path our nation is taking for the better. It would be best to view him with great suspicion”. Villa’s mustache was not alone, as many in Mexico picked up on the coming coup attempt and sent their own warnings to Madero, who immediately did nothing.

Madero didn’t simply just do nothing, but rather he did everything he could to stall any investigations into suspected plots against his government. Once again, Puebla serves as an excellent case study on Madero’s inexplicable naiveté. Several rumors and chatter were intercepted by various Madero loyalists since 1911, however it wasn’t till 1912 that a more clear conspiracy was discovered. Murcio Martinez and his two sons, Mariano and Marco Antonio, were suspected ring leaders in a plot to overthrow the state government. Murcio Martinez was a general, and Puebla’s former governor, that nearly got caught up in the aftermath of Felix Diaz’s rebellion. He managed to distance himself from Diaz just enough to avoid being accused of aiding that general in his rebellion. Martinez was aware of the plot being hatched against Maduro, and him along with others in other states were preparing to move against Madero’s people.

Emiliano Zapata, much like Pancho Villa, was aware of the dangers and sent one of his men, Abraham Martinez, to Puebla to deal with the conspiracy there. Once he found sufficient evidence he had several former and current state officials, the former governor and his sons arrested. Governor Cañete was caught of guard, while he did authorize an inquiry to the conspiracy he was not aware of Abraham Martinez’s mission and feared that such brazen actions would ignite tensions leading violence had several of those arrested released on house arrest. There was considerable confusion and a breakdown of communication that prevented Cañete from receiving the authorization from Mexico City by way of Emilio Vazquez Gomez. After several meetings, and contentious public arguments, an official state investiagation was launched which resulted in the arrest of Murcio Martinez. Murcio Martinez had friends, Porfirista holdouts, in the Judiciary which managed to get him and his sons released on technicalities.

Prior to his second arrest, renewed strikes in the neighbooring state fueled further tensions between workers and managers in Puebla as well as frustrated rural workers in the country side. A skirmish between federal troops of the 29th battalion led by Aureliano Blanquet and local state militia over what Blanquet claimed was a “mistake”. According to his report, Blanquet received tips on the presence of a rural bandit gang and proceeded to apprehend them. It turns out that this gang was actually a group of revolutionaries moving weapons out of state in violation of the ban of providing support to any movement outside of the state. At this point Madero had to intervene before the situation got out of hand. Considering that Blanquet did have cause to at least detain the revolutionaires for contraband, he sided with Blanquet and called for reconciliation between both sides. He also had Murcio Martinez rereleased as a show of good faith. Problem is, that the good faith favored the conservatives leaving Madero with a negative image among his supporters. In an attempt to salvage his popularity with his base, Madero had Cañete appoint Camerino Z Mendoza, the local militia leader, as the head of the State’s forces and gave him a rank within the federal army.

In other states, liberals had better luck at taking down conspirators however Puebla was not the only state where the conservatives managed to slip away. Murcio Martinez ended up working with Blanquet in the aftermath of the Ten Patriotic Days to launch a coup against Cañete engulfing the state into conflict.

The First Patriotic Day
1200px-MaderoArrivesDecenaTragica.JPG

Madero and his supporters marching to the National Palace to deal with the Coup Attempt.
(image credit A)
In February 9, 1913 very early in the morning led by several anti-Madero instructors and officers, a force of military cadets stormed the prison holding General Diaz and then moved on to free Reyes. By 7:30 AM the force began making its way towards the national palace. General Lauro Villar saw their approach and sounded the alarm. The ensuing battle injured over a dozen people including General Diaz and the Secretary of War Angel Garcia Peña. As the fighting dwindled down, Madero was alerted to the attack and that this was part of a plot to overthrow his government. He began the March of Loyalty (La Marcha de Leatad), the name of his trek on foot from his residence in Chapultepec Castle to the National Palace. During his march he was joined, ironically if one thinks of the march’s name, by Victoriano Huerta. [2]

Upon arriving to the National Palace Madero found that several military and paramilitary units have also taken up arms against him including some units stationed near Mexico City. He immediately made a call to nearby bases still loyal to the president for reinforcements and had Lauro Villar take command of the conflict with aid from general Huerta and his men. As for the conspirators, they took a large weapons depot in the city called the Ciudadela and for the moment beyond a few skirmishes the fighting did not continue for the rest of that day or February 10th.

The Second Patriotic Day

During the second Patriotic Day on February 10th Huerta wanted General Gregorio Ruiz, who was captured after being left behind by retreating anti-Madero forces during the fighting, executed out fear that he would mention Huerta’s treason. Villar refused the order so Huerta went over Villar’s head and spoke directly to Madero which lead to a confrontation between Villar and Huerta in Madero’s office that led nowhere. The point was moot as Ruiz ended up dying before he could either be questioned or executed.

Later that day, general Auriliano Blanquet arrived from Toluca with reinforcements of over 1200 men who quickly turned on Madero tying down the president’s forces in the city spreading the violence beyond the Ciudadela. Emiliano Zapata also wired offering his own men to support Madero, but Huerta managed to convince Madero that Zapata couldn’t be trusted claiming that Zapata would just as soon join Reyes. Villar wasn’t keen on arguing that point, but he felt that Huerta had other motives in mind so he decided to contact Villa who shared with him his concerns regarding Huerta’s loyalties which fell on death ears when brought to Madero who was also hearing claims from others in his administration that Huerta was less than honest and potentially involved in the coup.

In the Meantime, Huerta was busy chatting up ambassador Wilson who agreed to help him establish a line of communication with Reyes in order to coordinate their treasonous efforts. They hatched a plan to make Madero look inept, which would give Wilson ammo to use in order to delegitimize Madero before the other ambassadors, the legislature, the Mexican press, and the US.

The Third Patriotic Day

In the morning of February 11th, Villar began a counter attack in an attempt to dislodge the rebels from the Ciudadela. Huerta had some of his men turn sides and attack Villar’s forces at key positions while sending loyal troops down prearranged areas to be blown up by artillery fire from the Ciudadela. The blood bath forced Villar to stop the attack and retreat. The rebels took the opportunity to venture out of the Ciudadela and gain control of the neighboring areas under the cover of rebel artillery allowing Blanquet’s troops to link up with them. Wilson wasted no time in using the disaster against Madero’s image painting him as an inept leader and claiming that Mexico would be better off without him. He also contacted Washington requesting a naval presence near Veracruz to “insure American citizens’ property and their safety”. That same day, he met up with several other ambassador, mainly those from Spain, Germany, and the UK and began stating that the US was ready to intervene and that Mexico would be better off without Madero in power. Wilson managed to convince the other ambassadors of this using the fears of the fighting spreading and damaging the property of their citizens and putting their citizens in danger.

Madero was approached by several officers who pointed out how the failure had to be the result of a mole, and many believed it to be Huerta himself. Madero failed to trust his people, much to Villar’s annoyance. Villar, for his part, placed Huerta out of field command and tried to put him somewhere where he would not be able to interfere, but Huerta just appealed to Madero who managed to settle a compromise. Huerta would not command his own men but take one of the units from a different command, Villar made sure to pick units staffed by Militiamen from Mexico State that had arrived earlier in the day. The colonels in charge of the militiamen were reluctant to follow many of Huerta’s orders, which led him to complain to Madero whose patience was running thin at the time.

What caused Madero’s impatience was word from the US ambassador who assured him that the US was ready to send in its home fleet with a detachment of Marines to take hold of Mexico’s ports. Wilson was not authorized to provide that sort of information nor was the US government considering any such information, however that didn’t stop Wilson from threatening Madero and assuring his European colleagues that this was the case. [3] Madero had advised Wilson to move to a safer area outside of the city, however fearing that that would place him far from the action he refused. Wilson had set up a small private army in the foreign district of the city which was largely populated by foreigners and he had no intention to be separated from such a group of men.

Wilson sent the following message to DC “There is, however, no doubt in my mind as to the immediate necessity in anticipation of sympathetic outbreaks in Mexican ports that formidable warships supplied with marines should be dispatched to points on the Atlantic and Pacific and that visible activity and alertness should be displayed on the boundary” and in addition requested permission to activity his armed men, which was denied him. However, US warships were dispatched to Mexico’s primary ports which gave credence to his claims of eminent US intervention.

The Fourth Patriotic Day

The rebels managed to make further advances in the city including freeing prisoners form a national prison in the capital forcing Madero to reassign some troops to help bring order. Villar didn’t waste time informing Madero how the enemy seemed to have an unnatural ability to predict the movement of his forces. Madero ordered an investigation to find the mole in his administration and in Villar’s forces. However, Madero would not hear any further theories as to whether or not Huerta was the mole. Emiliano Zapata, upon hearing of the fighting, had ordered Abraham Martinez to link up some of his men with Puebla State Militia and march them to the capital to defend Madero. They arrived around noon providing much needed reinforcements of over 900 men. Zapata had also begun mobilizing his troops and wired other militia leaders such as Pancho Villa, and Victoriano Carranza to do so fearing that the fighting would not be limited to Mexico City.

Wilson had a meeting with several conservative legislators and proposed the destitution of Francisco I. Madero from power. They expressed their willingness to pressure their moderate counterparts in Congress. Soon after these talks, word reached back to Madero of Wilson’s repeated threats. One of these such talks took place between Wilson and Mexico’s Foreign Minister, Pedro Lascurain whom Wilson sought to convince that the best option for both Mexico and Madero was for the president to resign.

The Fifth Patriotic Day

After the rebels captured another key position, a church tower, leading to fierce fighting in that flank. Wilson in the meantime hosted Huerta in his embassy and got in communication with Reyes to develop a plan to finally overthrow Madero. The need for legitimacy was key and the men felt that despite Madero’s support in Congress they could use his setbacks to etch away his support and get the congress to ratify a forced resignation. Wilson wanted to use the threat of intervention as leverage to get reluctant congressmen to fall in line.

However, Villar caught wind of Huerta’s visit with Wilson whose many machinations against Madero were somewhat well known to him. He had Huerta trailed and confronted him. Both men drew weapons and exchanged fire injuring Villar. Huerta quickly made his getaway towards rebel-controlled territory. He was able to go through federal forces as word of his betrayal spread slowly enough for him to make it to the safety of Reyes’ forces.

Madero was shocked and appalled at Huerta’s betrayal, and he was really the only one. Word spread of his “Et Tu Brutus?” moment which was further used to criticize his inability to deal with the situation by his good “friend”, Ambassador Wilson. Unsurprisingly, with the lack of a mole, government forces were finally able to put up a more effective fight and even gained some ground in a few blocks.

The Sixth Patriotic Day
emiliano_zapata.jpg

Revolutionaries often relied on the train for quick transportation in the absence of motorized equipment. Depicted here is Emiliano Zapata and his revolutionaries.
(image credit B)
On February 14th, Madero sent Lascurain to meet with the Senate and inform them of Wilson’s threat. Several senators began voicing concerns of Madero’s leadership, causing liberal senators to fire back with accusations of treason. The entire meeting devolved into a shouting match between the different senators. In any event, there was a lack of a quorum, so not much would have accomplished had the Senators been more well behaved. Madero had decided at this point on having a direct communiqué with the US president. In the cable he informed the President of Wilson’s remarks and that “this will cause a conflagration with consequences inconceivably more vast than that which it is desired”.

At this point, Emiliano Zapata had enough, upon hearing of Blanquet’s betrayal and sending word to Puebla to send men to Mexico City he sent orders to mobilize. Zapata had a train commandeered, and loaded it with over one thousand men including state militia, and federal troops still loyal to Madero and headed off to Mexico City. His arrival was fortuitous. Federal troops began loosing ground once again until Zapata’s men arrived. The infusion of fresh troops helped turn the tide pushing the rebels back city block by city block. Zapata was also joined by some cavalrymen courtesy of General Villa who had also just arrived on a similarly commandeered train. Villa decided to go rogue and head to Mexico City after speaking with General Villar. Thanks to the intervention of the two men, the rebels were forced to retreat and abandon the city under the cover of darkness that night.

The Seventh Patriotic Day

After Midnight on February 15th Reyes and Blanquet made their retreat as the fighting died down in the city with plans to head to Puebla and gather support and move on to Veracruz to meet the American reinforcements promised by Ambassador Wilson. The plans however already hit a snag unbeknownst to Reyes and Blanquet. Taft refused to intervene in Mexico primarily because at this point as his presidency was beginning to wind down, he was a lame duck president who didn’t want to get involved in a conflict next door and secondly because he did not see a point to sparking an international conflict over this attempted coup. Wilson failed to get the marines to intervene and Madero had received word from Taft himself of the fact which prompted Madero to send Lascurain to the Senate once more. During the second meeting, Lascurain presented the facts. The coupist rebels were on the retreat, the US intervention was never going to happen, and throughout Mexico militias were being raised proclaiming the defense of Madero’s government securing constitutionalist control of several state capitals.

While Reyes and Blanquet escaped with over 2000 rebels, there were still pockets of resistance in the city. Pancho Villa agreed to move back north to join his main forces which were assembling and waiting for orders in Zacatecas and Chihuahua. Word reached Mexico City that several mid-level military commanders and units from the rurales (Rural local paramilitary forces) in the region were mobilizing against the president. This was a result of Mondragon’s communications during the first few days of the coup attempt. However once Villa and Zapata arrived to Mexico City, Mondragon quickly dropped contact and sent word to Mexico City that he had “reliable sources” that identified the threat throughout the country. He only backed the coup if it meant an easy removal of the president, but feared a protracted conflict that could end in his execution.

The Eighth Patriotic Day
Protected Cruiser Tenochtitlan Picture.png

The Mexican Protected Cruiser Tenochtitlan off the coast of Veracruz
(Image Credit E)
Reyes and Blanquet managed to build a strong force in Puebla after skirmishing with government forces but decided to move on to Veracruz in light of a larger armed force coalescing around the city. They had hoped that by taking such a vital port, the US would have to intervene. But Commodore Azueta had prepared his Marines and several hundred-armed sailors and naval cadets for the defense of Veracruz. Azueta also had the support of the army in the area in addition to several bands of militiamen. Based at the port was the protected cruiser ARM Tenochtitlan which was capable of providing moderate artillery support thanks to its 2 prototype Mondragon 8 Inch naval guns which had recently been installed representing the potential might of the Mexican Navy. Though it is important to note that much like the Chamond-Mondragon 75mm canon, the naval gun was designed with the help of an Italian manufacturer.

With Zapata behind Reyes and Blanquet and Azueta Infront of him, Reyes had Blanquet take some of his troops north with aims to make it to Tampico while he would proceed to Veracruz hoping to get Zapata to follow Blanquet. However, Zapata continued to pursue Reyes which led to his defeat later that night. Upon surrendering, Reyes found himself heading back to Mexico City to stand trial for high treason.

The Ninth and Tenth Patriotic Days
Web53-1024x680.png

Zapata's Calvary Men who helped chase down Reyes and Blanquet
(Image credit D)

Blanquet, upon hearing of Reyes’ defeat and capture, surrendered at around 5AM on February 18th. Zapata had him arrested and transported to Mexico City. For nearly the entire day both Blanquet and Reyes were interrogated to find out how far the conspiracy led. There were still several armed units left in the city but they were quickly being neutralized. While the fighting stopped during the 18th, victory wasn’t declared until the 19th when the President made a public speech before a large crowd at the Zocalo (the central square plaza in front of the national palace). In it he declared that the coup attempt had failed, most conspirators were killed and the others arrested. He also announced the arrest of Cecilio Ocon and had decreed the disarmament of those who opposed his democratically elected government. He also had deputized Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata as well as other independent militia leaders and gave them the task to bring to heel all military units that refused to stand down.

Mondragon managed to avoid accusations of treason, though at this point he was suspected. Reyes had not given him up and Blanquet was mostly ignorant of his involvement. Mondragon pulled out of any further involvement in the conspiracy and decided to keep his head down and count his blessings. However Huerta was still on the loose and had sent him a message stating that if Mondragon was to chicken out, then his involvement would become public knowledge. With that, Mondragon decided to flee Mexico in the coming days but now without calling on all left over Porfiristas to rise against Madero’s government.

The Patriotic Aftermath

The following weeks from late February until mid-April were categorized by outbreaks of countless skirmishes as Zapata, Villar, and Villa began rounding up those who answered Mondragon’s call to arms. The rumors of American intervention leaked and public ire against the US began to boil over. Madero formally labeled Ambassador Wilson a persona non grata and in March the newly inaugurated president Woodrow Wilson complied removing Wilson from Mexico and from his service with the State department all together.

The Navy’s status grew considerably due to their roll in in the Patriotic Ten Days in capturing coupist leaders affording Madero an easy win when requesting a budget increase for the navy and Manuel Azueta was given the rank of Admiral. Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata became rock stars, their popularity rivaled that of Miguel Hidalgo and Ignacio Allende as they were labeled by the people as the saviors of democracy. The two men agreed to work with Madero in reorganizing the Rurales and the federal Army, and putting down units that refused to comply. Several generals and colonels of the federal army who sat on the sidelines throughout the coup attempt began picking sides. Many of them sided with Huerta. The most violent phase of the revolution had begun, and Mexicans everywhere were picking sides. The fiercest battles would last for nearly two years leading to the suspension of presidential elections in favor of electing a constituent congress to write a new constitution in 1915.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[1] The US ambassador in the OTL was actively aware of and supportive of the plot to overthrow Madero. In the OTL Villar was injured during the march which means he wasn’t in command. Butterflies prevented that which, along with the stronger position Madero finds himself in, will prevent his OTL’s fate…execution.

[2] In the OTL, the 29th Battalion was involved in open fighting with a rebel force during a small uprising in Tlaxcala. This happened around the same time that the legal business with Murcio Martinez took place. Madero’s conciliatory actions were much stupider than in TTL. He basically gave all the conservatives a “get out of jail” card and honored the 29th Battalion.

[3] Wilson literally threatened Madero with intervention, a threat he made up.

Image Credits
A: Wikipedia https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MaderoArrivesDecenaTragica.JPG
B: El Universal https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/cult...ran-documentos-ineditos-sobre-emiliano-zapata
C: Newsweek Mexico https://newsweekespanol.com/2019/11/la-revolucion-mexicana-que-no-lo-fue/
D: https://sanquentinnews.com/el-legado-de-la-revolucion-mexicana/
E: Original Image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...Bild-23-61-10,_Schulschiff_"SMS_Hansa_II".jpg (I added the Mexican flag)

So defeating the Coup only results in even greater rebellion? Why didn't does soldiers and generals who'll fight the government do so when it looked like the Rebels were triumphing?

Is Mexico going to avoid all the damage caused by otl coup that remove Madero and civil want for nearly ten years
A lot of what Mexico went through is based on the Mexico that Diaz built. Simply winning the elections vs being installed by a rebellion isn't going to change things enough to avoid war, but it will change the course of the war.
How large is the Mexican rebels force ?
My next update will deal with this. For now, OTL numbers for Huerta's forces were around 40,000 give or take before he began a massive drive to recruit, if I remember correctly. The problem that the revolution faced after the coup against Madero was that the different factions didn't always see eye to eye. Orosco, for example, was a Madero supporter until he stopped being and when Madero got couped he ended up joining Huerta. Villa had a falling out with Carranza who became president after Huerta was ousted.
So defeating the Coup only results in even greater rebellion? Why didn't does soldiers and generals who'll fight the government do so when it looked like the Rebels were triumphing?
I can't see Porfiristas just giving up with a failed coup. However a failed coup means that the revolutionaries have a central authority with legitimacy and a mandate via a constitutional democratic election to rally around, and the POD means that revolutionaires have more control over Mexico than in the OTL. This revolution is not going to be to the scale of the OTL one. The big part of the revolution was the existence of competing factions, revolutionaries weren't just shooting at federales but also at each other. In this situation, Madero and his government are still calling the shots and now his more warhawk/radical supporters have leverage to force Madero to stop acting the fool. Let's just say, Madero tried to be nice to the Porfiristas, and they tried to coup him and even had a US Ambassador bating for them. Everyone has a breaking point, he tried playing nice.

As for the generals, some did fight the government, like Blanquet. Others were waiting for the outcome of the coup. And the update was mostly focused on Mexico City. The entire army in the OTL didn't go all in on the coup, they acted only after Huerta took charge and began directing what would happen. The revolutionaries didn't really take action until the end of the Decena Tragica. There was fighting just that it wasn't the focus for this update.