Zhirinovsky's Russian Empire

Your family wasn't ashamed, was they? That your an Alt-Historian I mean.

:p

LOL, not at all. it is just that they don't understand why I've become so addicted to it. My friends are always wondering why I'm bringing books about Russia to the UFC PPV's and football games on Sunday afternoon, and why I spend so much time working on this. And my family wonders why I am writing "a novel" online for free and not working on a Harry Potter type book that could make me rich. But I love being immersed in this TL and I'm really enjoying the ride!

Thanks for mentioning me as one of the contributors to your TL. Would a Russian Arkan actually emerge from among Pamyat or its two successor groups?

If I am correct, main population of European Bison lives in eastern Poland.

Apparently not: This 2004 IUCN report counts 5 free-ranging herds in Poland vs 8 in Belarus alone. The bison, however has 2 advantages going its way: 1) it has a big zoo stock from which new herds can be formed any time and 2) even within the former USSR most wild populations seem to be far from TTL war-striken areas, in Belarus, NW Ukraine and West Russia. The couple near the Abkhazian border might be at risk, though. It's also worth mentioning some of the herds that did go extinct IOTL in the 90s, like the one in Chechnya and another in Kyrgyzstan.

Last edited:
Apparently not: This 2004 IUCN report counts 5 free-ranging herds in Poland vs 8 in Belarus alone. The bison, however has 2 advantages going its way: 1) it has a big zoo stock from which new herds can be formed any time and 2) even within the former USSR most wild populations seem to be far from TTL war-striken areas, in Belarus, NW Ukraine and West Russia. The couple near the Abkhazian border might be at risk, though. It's also worth mentioning some of the herds that did go extinct IOTL in the 90s, like the one in Chechnya and another in Kyrgyzstan.

Check page 18. Bialowieza Forest on Polish-Belarusian borderland in 2000 were largest European population of European Bison. And as you write, Its far away from war theaters. Besides, in 2000's there was a reintroduction programes in many western countries like Spain, Germany and Denmark. I think this kind of mammals is safe.

PART FIFTY FOUR: THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA

One of the new names here, General Vladimir Kosylev, is referred to in Alexander Lebed’s autobiography. Unfortunately I can’t find anything on him online. But for more information about General Kosylev check out General Lebed’s autobiography here: http://www.amazon.com/General-Alexander-Lebed-Life-Country/dp/0895264226/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360031204&sr=8-1&keywords=alexander+Lebed

Also, information about Eduard Shevardnadze joining forces with the Russians when it looked like the Zviadists were about to capture the country from him in OTL (and by agreeing to allow Georgia to be part of the CIS in exchange for Russian support) can be found at footnote 84 here: http://cria-online.org/5_3.html#_ftn84.

“When Eagles Soared: A Modern History of the Republic of Georgia”

(Routledge Series on Russian and East European Studies) – By Timothy Burnside
Routledge Press, (2005)

CHAPTER SEVEN

With the success of operation Ice Storm, Colonel Akaki Eliava soon turned his attention to the breakaway province of Abkhazia. His grip on the military had been seen as tenuous prior to Operation Ice Storm and the success of his operation in South Ossetia failed to secure his control over the country or the military.

“After the Israeli Sea Stallions emerged unscathed during the brief occupation of Nar, a town nearly twenty miles north of the Georgian-Russian border, Colonel Eliava became obsessed with the attack helicopters,” commented a Georgian politician who worked closely with Eliava. “He planned a similar operation to capture Sukhumi, the capital of Abkhazia. However his generals were very, very concerned with the plan and refused to sign onto it.”

Colonel Eliava was starting to alienate his core support with his unilateral proclamations and his growing recklessness in conducting military operations. Several Georgian generals, still irritated over the fact that they had to take orders from a mere colonel, began to even openly ridicule the Georgian head of state.

“He planned to call the operation to capture Sukhumi Operation Sea Stallion,” commented the Georgian politician, “after the helicopters he was going to use in the operation. But his generals thought the plan was suicide. The element of surprise was gone and the constitutional crisis in Russia was over. To send a dozen attack helicopters deep into UIS controlled Abkhazia was nothing short of a suicide mission. As a result they began to mock the plan, sarcastically referring to the planned mission as Operation Sea Lion after the implausible German invasion of Great Britain during World War II. When Colonel Eliava found out he became outraged, banning the mention of the phrase ‘Sea Lion’ from any military installation in Georgia.”

Many Georgian soldiers found the proclamation offensive, and to get around the unilateral order, began to refer to the planned operation as Operation Sea Mammal, still refusing to utter the phrase ‘Sea Stallion’ out of contempt for the poorly thought out plan.

“He was losing the ordinary Georgian solider,” added the politician, “just three months earlier these men thought Colonel Eliava could literally walk on water, but he had managed to turn these loyal troops against him.”

Even more troubling for Colonel Eliava was the growing opposition from Tbilisi itself. Politicians who supported former president Zviad Gamsakhurdia became concerned with the lack of progress in regards to the democratic elections promised within six months after seizing control of the country in late October of 1993.

“We were in early March of 1994 and it was clear that Colonel Eliava was not interested in having elections anytime soon,” added the Georgian politician, “he claimed that he wanted to ‘liberate Abkhazia’ before holding an election so ‘all Georgians’ could vote. Needless to say, this didn’t go over well with Gamsakhurdia.”

The status of Georgia as a military dictatorship worried many in Tbilisi, and also threatened what was widely considered the single most important long term goal of Georgia: independence.

“We received word that a unilateral declaration of independence from an Eliava controlled Georgia would all but guarantee that the United Nations would not recognize the country’s independence,” the politician added, “even the United States wanted a democratically elected government before they would recognize that it was an independent country, especially considering Russia had what was widely seen as a fair election just last year. To declare independence would have not only brought the thunder of Moscow down upon us, but also threaten to allow Moscow to sever Abkhazia and allow it to be admitted into the UIS as a full fledged republic. As a result Colonel Eliava was determined to capture Abkhazia as soon as possible and ignored the inherent risks involved in an attack on the well defended breakaway republic. ”

It was with this unrealistic timetable in place that Colonel Eliava decided to launch a lightning attack on Abkhazia on March 5th, 1994, despite the fact that his fragile coalition over the Georgian government and military was collapsing under his feet. As pro- Gamsakhurdia troops (referred to as Zviadists) and supporters of ousted President Eduard Shevardnadze (referred to as Shevardists) began to openly revolt against his rule, he mistakenly believed an attack on Abkhazia would rally all sides behind his assault. Instead, it gave Russian President Vladimir Zhirinovsky something that he, and the entire UIS, badly needed: a decisive victory for Russian troops.

“My Russia- An Autobiography by former Russian Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis”

Published by Interbook, © 1998

CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN

I sat quietly as ousted Georgian President Eduard Shevardnadze continued to go on about how he could never side with Vladimir Zhirinovsky, that such a move would be political suicide. I couldn’t argue with his logic, he was correct, but I was getting irritated. We both knew that he couldn’t regain control of Georgia without help of some sort from Moscow, and he already burned us by trying to hide his double dealings with the Americans from us. But although we didn’t trust each other, we knew that we needed each other. Without Shevardnadze on board, regaining control of Georgia would be next to impossible; especially considering Colonel Eliava successfully destroyed the Roki Tunnel.

“I am sorry Gennady,” he said with a sigh, “but I simply cannot agree to membership in the UIS. Not as long as Vladimir Zhirinovsky is still in control.”

“Mr. President,” I said as I rubbed my eyes in frustration, “we all have to find a way to live with Vladimir Zhirinovsky right now. I have to and you have to. But you are asking us to turn over Abkhazia to you, give up any guarantees to our allies in South Ossetia, and to allow you to declare independence with nothing in return. How is that different than what Eliava is demanding? Putting you back in power under your terms would only rob us of the one thing that is keeping the UN from recognizing Georgian independence right now: the military dictatorship of Colonel Akaki Eliava.”

“I am sorry Gennady,” Shevardnadze replied, “If I agree to turn over the country to Vladimir Zhirinovsky I wouldn’t be able to walk the streets of Tbilisi without looking over my shoulder. I would be considered a traitor.”

“Fine,” I said as I got up, “I have an appointment with Zviad Gamsakhurdia tomorrow, we will see if he is willing to be reasonable.”

“Gamsakhurdia agreed to meet with you?” Shevardnadze asked nervously.

“He’s agreed to take my call,” I replied.

“Perhaps he just wants to hang up on you personally;” Shevardnadze said with a laugh, “there is no way he would be willing to do business with you.”

“Is that a chance you are willing to take?” I replied forcefully.

I watched as the ousted Georgian president stared intently in my eyes, perhaps seeing if I was bluffing. I knew that sooner or later he would have to come around, and if that meant remaining part of the UIS, then so be it. At least UIS membership gave him a pathway to eventual independence, all he had to do was to wait for Vladimir Zhirinovsky to be out of the picture. It might take an extra few years, but the UIS was still a very loose confederation and he was not giving up everything by agreeing to our terms. Besides, even though the Chechens were giving us hell in their war for independence, he could see where that road ended. All over Chechnya Russian forces were leveling every town and village in sight. He certainly didn’t want a war like that in Georgia, although I had to admit, I didn’t either. I was tired of war and bloodshed, but I couldn’t let him know that. I couldn’t show my cards. Besides, we still had a major advantage: we both knew that a unilateral declaration of independence from Eliava meant that Abkhazia was gone forever. If he played ball with us we would be willing to work something out. Although we were unwilling to give the Georgians free reign over Abkhazia, I was not opposed to an autonomous republic of Abkhazia within Georgia.

“I can’t take this offer back to Tbilisi,” Shevardnadze replied, “I need more.”

“You mean South Ossetia?” I asked sarcastically.

“Let’s be honest Gennady,” Shevardnadze said, “you have no bargaining chips when it comes to South Ossetia. Georgia won the war with South Ossetia, and the UIS is just going to have to live with that. That is not even a point of negotiation. South Ossetia is Georgia from this day forward.”

“I don’t think I can do that.” I said curtly.

“You want me to accept Vladimir Zhirinovsky, well, I want you to accept Georgian rule over South Ossetia.”

I glared at Shevardnadze for several seconds, unable to hide my anger. What was happening in the UIS? Was the madness that infected Vladimir Zhirinovsky contagious?

“Fine,” I growled back at him, “but if we receive reports of human rights violations we reserve the right to move in and send peacekeepers.”

“No,” Shevardnadze said with a smirk, “You won’t. But I will personally guarantee the safety of all Georgian citizens living in South Ossetia. Russia will have no authority over the province.”

I started to storm out of the office. I was done dealing with this man.

“One more thing,” he said as I reached for the door. I stopped and turned towards him.

“I still need more to sell this to my countrymen. If I am to have Georgia remain part of the UIS and give up our legal claim to Abkhazia then I need something else.”

“What?” I replied.

“I want Georgia to have a seat in the United Nations.”

“That is impossible!” I shot back, “if you are a member of the UIS then you forfeit membership in the UN, you know that!”

“I understand, but I’m not asking for a seat as a member state. I know that is more than you can give me right now. What I want is a seat as a non-member observer state.”

“That is absurd!” I fired back, “even Palestine doesn’t hold that status! And that is a status reserved for occupied nations! By agreeing to such a thing we are basically telling the world that you’re under occupation!”

Shevardnadze smiled as he shrugged his shoulders.

“I can’t agree to that,” I said as I turned around and grabbed the door handle, “I’m sorry. I wanted to avoid a war just as much as you did. But I can’t go to President Zhirinovsky with that proposal. It is just not acceptable.”

“Mr. Prime Minister,” Shevardnadze said with a just a hint of desperation, “I can promise you the one more thing, something that Vladimir Zhirinovsky needs desperately.”

“And what might that be,” I fired back, “what can you possibly promise the President of Russia?”

“Total victory.”

Rebel Georgian troops routed by UIS forces as Moscow moves to restore federal control of breakaway Republic

By Jeff Coleman
The Detroit Free Press
March 13, 1994

(Sukhumi, UIS) – The rebellious UIS republic of Georgia saw its dreams of independence shattered yesterday as Russian and UIS federal troops repelled an attack on the “pro union stronghold” of Sukhumi yesterday. Nearly 5,000 Georgian troops were dealt the demoralizing defeat just five days after they crossed into the pro-UIS province of Abkhazia on March 5th. Although meeting little resistance at first, the Georgians badly overplayed their hand when a raid on the city of Sukhumi left them exposed to UIS artillery and air power. After a nearly 24-hour bombardment, most of the 5,000 troops loyal to Georgian head of state Colonel Akaki Eliava surrendered after rival Georgian troops, loyal to ousted President Eduard Shevardnadze, cut off their supply line to Tbilisi.

“This is nothing short of treason,” one Georgian officer said as he fled Abkhazia after the capitulation of the Georgian army, “we were ready to fight the Russians, yes, but we never in a thousand years expected Shevardnadze to turn on his countrymen like he did! He sold out his country and in the process he open the gates of hell! The devil went down to Georgia, and he was invited in by Eduard Shevardnadze!”

UIS Presidential Candidate Vladimir Putin in an interview with the BBC on August 1, 2011.

Discussing the Battle of Sukhumi in March of 1994.

BBC: Vladimir Zhirinovsky was widely seen as a national hero after he stopped the Communist takeover of the UIS in February of 1994. He followed that up with a stunning victory over the Georgians at the battle of Sukhumi in March of 1994. However you repeatedly claimed that the victory in Georgia belonged to Prime Minister Gennady Burbulis and General Vladimir N. Kostylev. Would you care to expand?

Putin: Yes. After the constitutional crisis the 16-man Committee for State Security and Defense was split into three autonomous branches. General Lebed went to Moldova to prepare military operations there, General Vyacheslav Tikhomirov continued to oversee operations in Chechnya, and a third General, General Vladimir Kosylev, moved into Abkhazia. General Kosylev was a close aide of General Lebed and served as his supervisor in Azerbaijan during the final years of the Soviet Union. He knew that Abkhazians were terrified about being taken over by the Georgians, and he heard several disturbing tales of war crimes committed by Georgian forces in control of the southern parts of Abkhazia and South Ossetia. As a result General Kosylev worked hard to build a strong local militia as well as prepare for the siege of Sukhumi which he was certain would come. But it was Prime Minister Burbulis that gave him the final piece of the puzzle: he made a deal with Eduard Shevardnadze, allowing Shevardist forces of the Georgian military to assist in the operation to defeat Colonel Eliava.

BBC: Did Vladimir Zhirinovsky have any role in the operation?

Putin: He wanted to have a say. He served for two years in Georgia when he was in the Soviet military, and as a result he considered himself an expert on all things Georgian. But he really had little say in the operation. General Kostylev operated independently of Vladimir Zhirinovsky, and it showed at the end of the day. Had Vladimir Zhirinovsky had his way that conflict would have been Chechnya times a hundred.

Last edited:
Alas, this likely deprived me of seeing my favorite stamp.

Not necessarily. Although Abkhazia is technically part of Georgia right now we know that there are still future conflicts between the UIS and Georgia. Look for an "inter-entity" border to emerge , like we see in OTL Bosnia or TTL Estonia. Georgia is going to start to look like a dual republic here in the near future, with Abkhazia acting autonomous of Georgia. The thing is, Although Russia will take great pains to see that Georgia cannot restore authority over Abkhazia, it also will take great pains to see to it that Abkhazia doesn't leave Georgia. Why? Because as we see in the last post, Georgia knows that a deceleration of independence means Abkhazia leaves Georgia as well. Therefore they will be waiting for the perfect moment to try and bolt, but in the short term they will sit tight. Russia and the UIS know this and will exploit this to their advantage. This bizarre status quo will work for the short term, but sooner or later someone or something will upend the apple cart. We have not heard the last from Abkhazia or Georgia.

However, South Osettia is pretty screwed right now and will probably remain so for the near future.

I'm also wondering if one of the updates that you will do will cover the May Day PR disaster, or even what's happening in the Balkans.

Pelegrino, may you consider making some uptade about espionage scandals ITTL?

I have been kicking around something on that, including something on how the UIS tries to even the score with the USA over the Dragons and Sea Stallions in Georgia and Chechnya. But I have not yet decided what the best angle would be. But after the next update, which will deal with Romania and Moldova, followed by an update on Latvia, I am hoping to have an update on UIS "agents" in action in the United States. These agents, needless to say, have a very unexpected and unique way of creating havoc.

If the USA wanted to mess around in the UIS, would the UIS respond by doing something that will hurt the USA economically and politically?

I'm also wondering if one of the updates that you will do will cover the May Day PR disaster, or even what's happening in the Balkans.

We are rapidly aprpoaching May 1st and I have not yet decided if the UIS (after this Communist purge) would still consider May Day a national holiday or not. It is possible that May Day is not celebrated for several years in the 1990s ITTL. But don't worry about the Balkans, we will be going back to Bosnia and Krajina soon. But right now so much is happening at once in the UIS that we have fires popping up all over the country. Things will start to normalize a bit in 1995 (Latvian and Estonian wars end and Georgia is under control), which allows the UIS to focus more on the former Yugoslavia again.

If the USA wanted to mess around in the UIS, would the UIS respond by doing something that will hurt the USA economically and politically?

There is no way that the UIS would try and flood weapons into the United States (as mentioned earleir, high risk, low reward). But the UIS is also not going to sit back and do nothing (especially since it appears that there is nothing they can do to end NATO sanctions short of ending the Union). Your question strongly hints at the eventual response: something political and economic in nature :eek:

Maybe perhaps Zhirinovsky tries to promote the idea of having the UIS intel to prod Michael Ignatieff in the path to become the PM of Canada? I'm sure there's something that both Zhirinovsky and Ignatieff have in common.