You are the Commander -- Civil War

You are the Commander of the Confederate Army, in charge of tactics and strategy. The Union Advance into Georgia was thrawted and Sherman was forced to turn back. What is your next move to gain ground on this South Victory?

(Map of the March to the Sea through Georgia)

unionstrat.gif

Try to inflict similar blows on the Federal army approaching Richmond-Petersburg (or, if Sherman was repulsed at Atlanta, the Army of the Potomac would be in the process of investing Petersburg) and convince Northern voters that a Democratic victory at the polls in November would be in their best interests.

That being said, there would also have to be a mechanism to get Jefferson Davis to select a general-in-chief (which in OTL wouldn't be made until 1865) so that I could actually be "commander of the Confederate Army," unless I become President Davis, in which case this would be an ASB thread.

You are the Commander of the Confederate Army, in charge of tactics and strategy. The Union Advance into Georgia was thrawted and Sherman was forced to turn back. What is your next move to gain ground on this South Victory?

(Map of the March to the Sea through Georgia)
Considering that the advance to Georgia of OTL was possible because there were no forces of note in the area...

Send back my army up north, to stop the Union army that is now marching into South Carolina unopposed?

When it says "advancing into Georgia," i.e. crossing the state line from Chattanooga, Tennessee, it really does mean advancing into Georgia, right? Ala the opening of Sherman's Atlanta campaign in May 1864? That's what I was basing my ideas from.

Would you need to do anything? With Grant grinding away at Petersburg, Sherman falling back into Tennessee and the disastrious Red River campaign on top I'd say the Democrats would win 1864; war's over folks.

Unless...just to make myself totally sure...I'd give all of the AoT's cavalry to Forrest to keep the Yankees jumping in Tennessee, fortify myself on Chattanoonga heights (properly this time, unlike Bragg who couldn't defend his own mother) and send a division or two to the Shanandoah to at least make the Valley campaign of '64 a stalemate then help relieve the ANV somehow.

Oh and somehow ban insane, massed infantry charges at fortified lines. The last thing we need is a Hood thrashing his troops around. Make it clearly a defensive war from here-on-out.

What a bunch of traitors. I surrender myself to the Union and ask President Lincoln for a amnesty and a command of a Union Army to beat the Confederates.

Just because we are using imagination makes us traitors?

The first sentence wasn't directed to the members, it was directed to the Confederates. If it was directed to the members I would have used it in a seperate paragraph with a :mad: face or a :p face.

But on the other hand yes it does, yes it does:D (joke)

How on earth did I accomplish these miracles? Miracle 1 is prying the position of Commander of the Army out of Jefferson Davis. Miracle 2 is beating Sherman in spite of having less men, less equipment, less food, a bunch of quarreling subordinates, and an Army whose morale was crushed (or at least seriously dented) at Chattanooga.

Gaining ground will require supplies unless I want to re-enact Hood's debacle. And that's going to take a 3rd miracle.

Gaining ground will require supplies unless I want to re-enact Hood's debacle. And that's going to take a 3rd miracle.

Just don't do what he did at Franklin and hurl the Army of Tennessee on a frontal assault that fucks up a good chunk of said army and kills several of your commanders.

I'm with Norrissippi - hang on to everything you can and hope that McClellan wins the election. And who says this is ASB? I crushed Sherman at Kennesaw Mountain - destroyed over half his army - in a tabletop wargame in a Junior High School history class (great teacher for that class!). :D

If I crush Sherman then I quickly go into Tennessee and finish the job capturing any remaining Federals, returning the state into the Confederacy and undoing years of work by the Union. With Tennssee back in the Confederacy so fast the Dem's will porbably win the elction but if not then theres a hard decision to be made.

1. Go North into Kentucky. Without a Union Western Army of any significance maybe the people of Kentucky, whose confederate sympathies were always high but were unwilling to act and be crushed by the Union, finally join the Confederacy bringing hundreds if not thousands of new fresh volunteers into the army along with new supplies and better rifles and equipment from Union resupply points and armories.

2. Go West and begin the liberation of the Mississippi River. Union gunboats and the navy makes things difficult but the Army of Tennessee riding high morale and without a true equal could probably reunite the Confederacy and maybe (emphasize the maybe) liberate New Orleans.

3. Go to Richmond and combine with Lee's army to attempt to drive out Grant. (Even with a combined army I'm not sure this is possible)

I'm with Norrissippi - hang on to everything you can and hope that McClellan wins the election. And who says this is ASB? I crushed Sherman at Kennesaw Mountain - destroyed over half his army - in a tabletop wargame in a Junior High School history class (great teacher for that class!). :D

Which tabletop war game did you play? My buddies and I usually play We The People.