WWII with USSR as an enemy of US

Just out of curiosity, what would have caused the US and the USSR to go to war in the Second World War, maybe even team up with Germany? I understand that FDR really wanted to have good terms with the Soviets. I’m thinking maybe Hitler is assassinated, Germany goes to war in the East but not the West. Would the US or England have sent funds or supplies, maybe eventually men to fight the USSR?

Short of carpet nuclear bombing, there's not much anyone can do against a 3rd Reich/USSR Axis. At least on land, anyway. Thrown in Japan as well and it becomes even more lopsided.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
U.S. wasn't going to team up with the Nazis, regardless.

An actual functional Soviet/Reich Alliance would be, on the European Peninsula, effectively invincible. The only real question is where on Eurasia it can be stopped, or if the Japanese are included, if it can be stopped across the landmass at all. Maybe the Allies could preserve India and Indonesia, depending on the circumstances. As far as reconquering any part of the European Peninsula? Not a chance, at least not until the "allies" revert to type and tear each other to shreds.

This is, of course, entirely hypothetical. Any actual link up, due to competing interests and mutual hatreds, simply isn't in the cards. Total ASB

Does this have to be Nazi Germany we're talking about? I think the OP specifically mentioned Hitler being assassinated, so obviously him being in power would be out of the question in this scenario. I don't think Germany allying with the USSR was impossible. How about have Goering get into power, who wasn't as big on invading the USSR as Hitler was, or maybe even the Strassers?

Last edited:
Is it really ASB, though? While the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was officially a non-aggression pact, they secretly plotted to split up Eastern Europe according to German and Soviet interests. This gave western Poland to Germany, while Finland, the Baltic States, part of Romania, and eastern Poland was given to the USSR. The Germans were the ones with the industry but needed raw resources, while the Soviets were the ones with raw resources but desperately needed industrial goods for development. As a result of this, the USSR and Nazi Germany also agreed to assist each other with trade, with the Germans sending goods to the Soviets, and the Soviets sending raw materials such as grain and oil back. Finally, the USSR even offered to join the Axis Powers on 25 November 1940. While the Nazis and the USSR obviously weren't on the best of terms, not everyone in the Nazi Party was necessarily opposed to the idea of it being an ally. Also, some of the terms that Stalin had given (Germans departing Finland in exchange for wood and nickel shipping and peace with Finland; a mutual assistance pact with Bulgaria be signed in the next few months after Soviet bases have been permitted; south of Baku and Batumi (ports in modern Azerbaijan and Georgia) being the centre of Soviet territorial domination; affirm that the Soviet-Bulgaria mutual assistance treaty was a political necessity) weren't necessarily deal breakers for Germany. Perhaps Germany could be convinced to wait it out in his war against the USSR, and then lead it once the Western Allies have been defeated by this unholy alliance. And who says that Hitler needed to be leader of this? Goering wasn't the biggest fan of invading the USSR, and it's also important to remember that the "type" of Nazism under Hitler's regime wasn't the only form of Nazism; Strasserism was a form of Nazism that was more worker-based—hostile to Jews not from a racial, cultural or religious perspective, rather from an economic basis—to achieve a national rebirth. Maybe the alliance wouldn't be stable, but Nazi Germany as we know it allying with the USSR is not impossible in my opinion.

With Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler and the rest of that merry band, yeah, it's ASB. With someone like Goering? Could work. The man put himself above and beyond any petty ideological trappings. Assuming he doesn't decide to suicidally backstab the USSR in morphine-induced haze, that is.

With Hitler, Goebbels, Himmler and the rest of that merry band, yeah, it's ASB. With someone like Goering? Could work. The man put himself above and beyond any petty ideological trappings. Assuming he doesn't decide to suicidally backstab the USSR in morphine-induced haze, that is.
That was such a stupid post of mine (the one quoted) and I realised that so quickly holy shit. I basically just copied and pasted something really dumb I said from, like, two years ago there. Guess I wasn't quick enough lol

(funnily enough, I actually saw someone on DeviantArt write like almost the exact same thing as I did. I actually wrote down something like that on a dead website when I was in my early teens, so either that person must have copied that post or it was an incredible coincidence. Still cringe lol.)

Last edited:
In the long run a German-USSR alliance becomes a tail wagging the dog with Russia in the driver's seat. This is a big part of why Hitler invaded when he did- he did not want to become economically dependent on the USSR.

The best way to do this is to keep Weimar Republic tottering along, eventually shifting into revolution. There was considerable rapproachment between Interwar Germany and the USSR; absent the Nazis that trend might continue.

Slams hands on the desk

We are in 2020 and there is no Strasserist Germany-Soviet alliance timeline yet, that is completely sad!

Deleted member 140587

If the KPD rises to power in 1933 instead of the NSDAP then I suppose it's plausible. Also if OTL's German-Soviet Axis Talks are taken more seriously and which could result in the USSR joining the Axis Powers and entering the war against Britain.

Here's an idea: what if World War II was a three-way conflict between the Axis Powers, the USSR and whatever allies it may have, and an alliance including the USA?

In the long run a German-USSR alliance becomes a tail wagging the dog with Russia in the driver's seat. This is a big part of why Hitler invaded when he did- he did not want to become economically dependent on the USSR.

The best way to do this is to keep Weimar Republic tottering along, eventually shifting into revolution. There was considerable rapproachment between Interwar Germany and the USSR; absent the Nazis that trend might continue.
So maybe have Hitler die in WWII or thereabout?

marathag

Banned
clint.gif

marktaha

Banned
One scenario-Trotsky comes to power,pursues a policy of fermenting revolution.30s featuring Communist rather than Fascist aggression followed by an alliance between democracy and Fascism against Communism rather than the other way round.

A USSR-Reich alliance probably produces a second world war war with a trashed eurasia and europe being mostly radioactive rubble. I guess it'd be like the coming war in Well's "the shape of things to come" or the WWIII Heinlein kept assuming in his puppet masters/future histtory.