WW2 interceptor with 4 engines ?

Wouldn't the exhaust be a Problem for the linked tail section?
In similar pics I've seen the tail section is raised high to avoid the exhaust.
I'll be honest, I didn't think of that when I did the pic but I can change it later.

marathag

Banned
Wouldn't the exhaust be a Problem for the linked tail section?

Not if you raise it a bit
p2.jpg

I was thinking for some time, a fighter like Ta-154 or Me 410, but with 4 DB 603 or Jumo 213 engines back to back, one push, one pull instead of just 2. But I have no idea how feasible this is.

How about B-24 as a Condor-killer - or He-177 as LRMP aircraft killer in some scenario?

not Just Condors, on at least one occasion a Sunderland was attacked by multiple JU 88's and drove them off, apparently shooting down 6 off the JU88's. That makes the Sunderland crew "an Ace in a Day".
The Sunderland was known as the flying Porcupine due to the number of defensive guns.

Only 4 engine fighter I'm familiar with is the F-87...was an interceptor directly competitive with the F-89, which it lost to. Well post WW2, but "rfp" was from that era.

Back in the immediate postwar days, Westinghouse, employing some methodology beyond my comprehension, believed axial flow turbojets could be simply scaled in diameter. Possibly RPM was the derivative variable. Anyway, the aircraft that finally became the F9F was originally conceived as having multiple small diameter engines buried in the wing centersection. I forget the maximum number proposed...possibly 12?

Excluding various German British and US Vertical takeoff jets, this may be a record.

Dynasoar

Last edited:
What all of these proposals miss is an actual driver to make it happen .

For example ;

Just as the Bristol Beaufighter reached squadron service the Factory making the Hercules engine was hit by a raid and all production drawings and much of the factory was destroyed .
In desperation the Bristol Engineers built a franken engine with 2 Bristol Pegasus radials in one cowling . Initially the single propeller was seen as the easiest option however reality was it developed vibration . In an effort to fix this problem a contra rotating propeller was fitted to each engine assembly . The new franken engine was 40% longer and resulted in a change in nacelle design to bring the CG back to an appropriate point . The new engine produced 1800 hp at sea level and 1600 hp on a continuous climb setting . The new contra rotating propeller also improved engine out performance . The extra 400 hp improved all aspects of flight performance .

Could we imagine a “bomber B” project with a push-pull ju-288.
The driver is quite easily the Extreme risk of having all medium bomber development relying on a non-existing engine.
If this goes through you would presumably see a Night fighter version as well (and what a beast it would be).

I'm cheating a bit, but how about a bomber converted to a night fighter powered by the Aichi Ha-70? Like the German DB-606, it was an experiment to couple a pair of engines to a single driveshaft for more power. I have no idea how plausible it is, but if you could somehow stuff the thing into a twin-engine bomber, you could try to turn the aircraft into an anti-bomber night fighter. They experimented with turning the P1Y into such a night fighter, so the concept isn't unknown. Then you'd have something with four engines, even if it only has two propellers. The specs given by Wikipedia say 3,350 HP at take-off per pair of engines...

Db610a.jpg

There was a serious proposal for the Heinkel 177 to be equipped with a battery of upward firing rockets to attack US bomber formations.

9535873_orig.jpg

Before some to object "hey that contraption has only two engines" the Heinkel 177 had two propellors, but got four engines !
Thanks to Udet insanity "Ever bomber must be a Dive Bomber" let to this crank Design
it never work well, flying was more Hell for crew, for those who survive the He 177

Ar234-24.jpg

There was plans for advance four engine combat aircraft Arado Ar 234 C-3
Planned with four Jet-engine Junkers Jumo 004B-1
Armed with two MG 151 and two MK 108 firing upward.
Arado Ar 234 P-5 Version would had additional Radar system FuG 240-4 Bremen install on top of aircraft.
arado-234p-5-modell.jpg

What all of these proposals miss is an actual driver to make it happen .

For example ;

Just as the Bristol Beaufighter reached squadron service the Factory making the Hercules engine was hit by a raid and all production drawings and much of the factory was destroyed .
In desperation the Bristol Engineers built a franken engine with 2 Bristol Pegasus radials in one cowling . Initially the single propeller was seen as the easiest option however reality was it developed vibration . In an effort to fix this problem a contra rotating propeller was fitted to each engine assembly . The new franken engine was 40% longer and resulted in a change in nacelle design to bring the CG back to an appropriate point . The new engine produced 1800 hp at sea level and 1600 hp on a continuous climb setting . The new contra rotating propeller also improved engine out performance . The extra 400 hp improved all aspects of flight performance .
——————————————————————————————-

This can be done with almost stock Pegasus engines.

Three possible configurations come to mind: two versions of oaxial or the rear engine displaced above the front engine.
You “only” need to design two new sets of reduction gearbox Bell housings and a shaft to transmit power from the rear engine forward.

A variation of coaxial raises the front propeller shaft above its crankcase and allows installation of a motorcannon.

For coaxial, the two crankshafts share a common centreline, but rear power is routed up over the front crankcase and back down to the front engine’s centreline. The rear Bell housing offsets the output shaft high enough to route the drive shaft between two cylinders of the forward engine. Then it plugs into the perimeter of the forward reduction gear housing. The rear propeller hub is larger (in diameter) and rotates around the forward propeller shaft. This keeps engine diameter the same as a Single row Pegasus.

Offsetting the rear crankshaft above the front crankshaft simplifies the rear gearbox but increases frontal area.

Holy Mackrel, Rigger,

If a parade of radials (each with its own crankshaft) can be considered a separate engine, then aircraft powered by the Wright Aeronautical Corporation R-2160 Tornado could be considered trimotored. This device consisted of three fourteen cylinder radial modules (seven cylinders per row displacing only 360 cubic inches). Each 720 cubic inch module transferred power forward via seven layshafts passing between the in-line cylinders ahead, like some BMW project. Some components were shared between modules and up to five modules per engines were considered.

An airplane powered by two of the proposed 70 cylinder R-3600 engine might be considered 10 engined?

Dynasoar

Last edited:
What you need for this is not a bunch of machine gun turrets but instead a flying flak gun or a crapload of fragmentation rockets tilted slightly apart to make a "sphere of death" for a bomber stream.