Would the Jews have been persecuted if Huey Long was elected in 1936?

That I should've gotten more sleep when I wrote that.

Long was authoritarian and he used violence to further his goals but he was populist and not strictly ideological, more pragmatic. So he's more akin to postwar Latin American dictators, than the European equivalents during the interwar and, war.

I feel that FDR was a caudillo-lite in his way, as the country was undergoing immense crises at the time and he exercised and expanded great amounts of executive power for a president. I picked Vargas because idk, he seems less militaristic than Perón I guess and he also died while in office. Maybe there's a better analogous leader.

As a 7th generation Louisianian, my initial read was "what in the world is this guy talking about?" .... what sort of violence do you mean? and please come up with some incidents supporting your position? Huey was bombastic, loved Ramos Gin Fizzes, LSU football (and the university) and could be authoritarian, but using violence to attain his goals....hmm

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 10.41.39 AM.png

Very well, change violence to "threats of violence." How else do you suppress dissent with a state police?

I think that in political arenas similar to Long‘s, you are an ally until you’re not. In other words, you are not an obstacle/problem until times change. For example Jews were important integral parts of the Soviet leadership under Lenin. Not so much under Stalin.

As for antisemitism in America, it was greatly overshadowed by racism against blacks, as Jews were usually white. However I remember a story my uncle (Irish) told me once. He worked on the NYC docks in the late 30s when it was controlled by the mob. He said Irish and Jews who showed up for work were usually let on the docks, but when their names were called, were often turned away at the the boats as “not needed today”. However blacks rarely got on the docks at all.

ric350

Given how some people's knee jerk response nowadays to any criticism of banks is "that's antisemitic", I'm surprised Long being an "...implacable enemy...of Eastern banks..." doesn't fit the bill.
Long was talking primarily about J. P. Morgan, and claimed that Parker Gilbert https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Parker_Gilbert and Russell Cornell Leffingwell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Cornell_Leffingwell were still "running the thing" under Roosevelt. https://books.google.com/books?id=mGtYEAAAQBAJ&pg=PA219 Not a Jew among them!

RuneGloves

Banned
Wait, what?

I said least - not, not Anti-Semitic
My understanding was that it was the American Midwest that was the worst in this regard
Leo Frank was a case of a man abusing and murdering a little girl, even tried to blame it on an innocent black janitor.

It was not anti-Semitism. A white man, who wasn't Jewish would've just been as likely to get lynched for such an horrific act.

Last edited:
Leo Frank was a case of a man abusing and murdering a little girl, even tried to blame it on an innocent black janitor.

In his case, he was lynched like any other white man who would've commited that crime, in those rural communities prone to lynching.
It is foolish and inaccurate, to simply pretend Frank being Jewish had nothing to do with the fact he was lynched.

Long was absolutely not an anti-Semite. Period.

"Although often denounced as a fascist, Long was not anti-Semitic, nor any more anti-Communist than most politicians at the time. When asked about common comparisons between him and Adolf Hitler, Long replied "Don't compare with that so-and-so. Anybody that lets his public policies be mixed up with religious prejudice is a plain God-damned fool." and later commented "I don't know much about Hitler. Except that last thing, about the Jews. There has never been a country that put its heel down on the Jews that ever lived afterwards."[16] Several of Long's political and personal friends were Jews, such as Abraham Shushan and Seymour Weiss. Additionally, Long's hostile attitude to corporations was not compatible with fascism. Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. noted that "Long's political fantasies had no tensions, no conflicts, except of the most banal kind, no heroism or sacrifice, no compelling myths of class or race or nation."[17]" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_of_Huey_Long

(Yes, Gerald L. K. Smith, a Long supporter, made a name for himself as an anti-Semite, but that was after Long's death.)

More generally, the whole idea of Long as a "fascist" is IMO misguided. It may be useful here to quote the judgment of James Weinstein: "Of all the 1930s radical politicians, Louisiana Governor Huey Pierce Long Jr. was by far the most successful. A charismatic figure, he is often mistakenly remembered as the first American dictator or the first great native fascist. As his biographer T. Harry Williams wrote, Long was in fact a uniquely democratic politician who had nothing in common with the dictators except their popularity. As a consistent champion of working people and an implacable enemy of the corporate monopolies and Eastern banks, he commanded one of the largest mass followings in the country. " https://books.google.com/books?id=pYHeUBZzCDYC&pg=PT105
You could make a reasonable comparison at least in style and program between Long and, say, Juan Peron, another figure often accuser (erroneously IMO) of being a fascist. Long himself was most certainly as you lay out not one himself

Long was a populist but not a fascist, and not an anti-semite. In fact he was something of an enemy to Klan type organizations in the south though not because of racial issues to be fair.
His problem with the Klan was more that they were a power base independent of his own, no?

His horrific crime had everything to do with the lynching.
Things can be two things.

A historian commented-
"Stating that it is impossible to determine the extent to which antisemitism affected his image, he concluded that "[Frank was seen as] a representative of Yankee capitalism in a southern city, with row upon row of southern women, often the daughters and wives of ruined farmers, 'at his mercy' – a rich, punctilious, northern Jew lording it over vulnerable and impoverished working women."

Another-
"Historian John Higham writes that "economic resentment, frustrated progressivism, and race consciousness combined to produce a classic case of lynch law. ... Hatred of organized wealth reaching into Georgia from outside became a hatred of Jewish wealth."

Tom Watson editor of the Jeffersonian, said this- "Watson also questioned whether Frank expected "extraordinary favors and immunities because of his race"[192] and questioned the wisdom of Jews to "risk the good name ... of the whole race" to save "the decadent offshoot of a great people."

RuneGloves

Banned
Things can be two things.

A historian commented-
"Stating that it is impossible to determine the extent to which antisemitism affected his image, he concluded that "[Frank was seen as] a representative of Yankee capitalism in a southern city, with row upon row of southern women, often the daughters and wives of ruined farmers, 'at his mercy' – a rich, punctilious, northern Jew lording it over vulnerable and impoverished working women."

Another-
"Historian John Higham writes that "economic resentment, frustrated progressivism, and race consciousness combined to produce a classic case of lynch law. ... Hatred of organized wealth reaching into Georgia from outside became a hatred of Jewish wealth."

Tom Watson editor of the Jeffersonian, said this- "Watson also questioned whether Frank expected "extraordinary favors and immunities because of his race"[192] and questioned the wisdom of Jews to "risk the good name ... of the whole race" to save "the decadent offshoot of a great people."
Do you think a non-jewish white man would've avoided being lynched for what Frank did?

If Frank wasn't Jewish, we wouldn't even know his name. Historians, nor the ADL would have cared in the slightest.

Last edited:
Do you think a non-jewish white man would've avoided being lynched for what Frank did?

If Frank wasn't Jewish, we wouldn't even know his name. Historians, nor the ADL would have cared in the slightest.
I can't prove a negative but if you don't think him being Jewish had anything to do with it, I have a bridge to sell you.

RuneGloves

Banned
I can't prove a negative but if you don't think him being Jewish had anything to do with it, I have a bridge to sell you.
Regardless of faith, in that community, if a man did such horrific actions, a lynching (vigilantism) would have happened.

Last edited: