Would it be possible for minor royals/nobles to become a leader of a political party?

What I have in mind is a quasi-federal monarchy such as the German Empire, where you had the Emperor and many kings and dukes throughout Germany. Were they all banned from being active in the politics at all? And if they were, would it be possible, in Germany or any other country, for royals to take an active role in their country's politics?

I ask all of this for this hypothetical scenario I had in mind, where, after more inconclusive WW1, with German monarchy not abolished, a non ruling dynasty royal becomes TTL equivalent of our favourite Austrian. But it doesn't necessairly need to be Germany at all, I'm just wondering if it ever happened and if it would be potentially possible?

I am not sure about Germany specifically, but you have the example of Seretse Khama, whose royalty was anulled by the British but then went on to be very popular and elected president of Botswana

What I have in mind is a quasi-federal monarchy such as the German Empire, where you had the Emperor and many kings and dukes throughout Germany. Were they all banned from being active in the politics at all? And if they were, would it be possible, in Germany or any other country, for royals to take an active role in their country's politics?

I ask all of this for this hypothetical scenario I had in mind, where, after more inconclusive WW1, with German monarchy not abolished, a non ruling dynasty royal becomes TTL equivalent of our favourite Austrian. But it doesn't necessairly need to be Germany at all, I'm just wondering if it ever happened and if it would be potentially possible?
yes as long as they have a political base

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Also:

This guy held so many different positions of government over his life in the various incarnations of the Cambodian state (which included high positions in the guise of kingdom and republic for starters) he might still hold the record for the number of them (according to the Guinness Book of Records he did, but that was a while back).

Sargon

Last edited:
So from what I see here, is that it didn't happen that often. Those are largely exceptions, not the norm. And in cases where it happened, in most cases the person in question had already abandoned (or was force to abandon) their rights for the throne, and only later became a non-monarchical politician.

So, why is that? Why weren't more nobles trying to form/control their own political parties? Were there any laws in specific countries which prevented it from happening?