Would have the IRA teamed up with Argentina during the Falkland wars?

Given the political situations at the time would have Argentina allowed a terrorist group to assist them against Britain?
Even leaving aside the issues of them being in contact and organising anything, given how penetrated the Provos were by security forces, this a) wouldn’t have achieved anything and b) most likely pissed Maggie off more than she already was.

Suicide by article 5 in 3, 2, 1.....?
The U.K. is not invoking Article 5 against the IRA for this, no more than they did for any other attack they launched. At most Maggie uses it as an excuse to be more hardline in the Anglo-Irish talks and to push back against the Irish lobby in the states.

The U.K. is not invoking Article 5 against the IRA
No but if they are working for Argentina attacking UK mainland and UK/USA has the coms intercept to prove it then UK might be willing to ask NATO for token help in South Atlantic just to make Argentina fold early?

No but if they are working for Argentina attacking UK mainland and UK/USA has the coms intercept to prove it then UK might be willing to ask NATO for token help in South Atlantic just to make Argentina fold early?
I doubt it, with the US logistical support they don’t really need much more (besides the only other major force would be the French), like I said this is not much different than the Provo connection with Libya.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
How would the ideological clash between right-wing military dictators and left-wing independence movement be sold to the IRA foot soldiers?

I think given the speed at which events unfolded and the incompetence of the Junta with regards to thinking such things through I suspect that any such plan to involved PIRA would not deliver anything before the war was over

I mean it was what - Mid April when the main talks failed and the UK advised the Argentines via the Swiss Embassy's that the gloves were coming off - and by that time the fleet was at sea.

How quickly could the PIRA - utterly compromised as it was by British Intelligence - pull off any meaningful attack or act of surveillance?

I seriously doubt it would be before the whole thing was over.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Money, guns…
you think the average Provo foot soldier gave a moniker about the ideology of who was supplying them?
As the split between the Official & the Provisional IRA showed, they did worry about the most unusual political points, such as whether to vote or not in election in Norn Iron.

Sinn Fein might have a hard time expaining the contradiction.

As the split between the Official & the Provisional IRA showed, they did worry about the most unusual political points, such as whether to vote or not in election in Norn Iron.

Sinn Fein might have a hard time expaining the contradiction.
There was more to that split that ideology though. SF has the ready made answer, “England’s difficult is Ireland’s opportunity”, or just “the enemy of my enemy”.

I think a lot depends on how big and successful the IRA operations are. If Argentina somehow upped the IRAs level with troops and equipment and or planning then I am not sure that article 5 doesn’t get invoked. It could be invoked a few different ways. The first and foremost is to get a US carrier proving air cover the the task force. That would not be a huge issue. Or radically change what GB does but would radically cut down on the damage/casualties the task for e took. Even just the Hawkeyes would radically change that.
The other options are i think less likly but…. If the support was such that the IRA did a long running string if very successful attacks obviously backed with military equipment from Argentina then they have a slight chance of happening.
A Joint USN/USMC/RN/RM liberate the Falklands.
Another option (but very, very very unlikely) is that a joint task force goes in after the IRA. The advantage of NATO troops going after the IRA vs troops from only GB is that it does not look as obviously GB vs Ireland. Once again this is not even remotely possible.. but it is not impossible.

I think a lot depends on how big and successful the IRA operations are. If Argentina somehow upped the IRAs level with troops and equipment and or planning then I am not sure that article 5 doesn’t get invoked. It could be invoked a few different ways. The first and foremost is to get a US carrier proving air cover the the task force. That would not be a huge issue. Or radically change what GB does but would radically cut down on the damage/casualties the task for e took. Even just the Hawkeyes would radically change that.
The other options are i think less likly but…. If the support was such that the IRA did a long running string if very successful attacks obviously backed with military equipment from Argentina then they have a slight chance of happening.
A Joint USN/USMC/RN/RM liberate the Falklands.
Another option (but very, very very unlikely) is that a joint task force goes in after the IRA. The advantage of NATO troops going after the IRA vs troops from only GB is that it does not look as obviously GB vs Ireland. Once again this is not even remotely possible.. but it is not impossible.
All of that however would depend on Argentina making a long plan for aiding PIRA which automatically fails the core mission of taking the Falklands. British and Irish intelligence have multiple assets within the command structure of the group, a foreign power starts making plans with PIRA for military action in NI/GB/Europe and it’s going to be known, so you piss off London first off and blow any chance of hiding the hostile intent as well. It’s far too late post invasion to try and arrange anything.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
ww2 is the perfect example of this divide being bridged
Would that be the WW2 that ended up in the Cold War?

The IRA would lose support from other left-wing groups - terrorist & political. Supporters like Castro's Cuba would certainly have qualms. Gaddafi probably wouldn't care either way.

When you see the number of splits the Irish Republican cause suffered over the decades, some on the lines of number of angels dancing on pins, you will see that for some it was the class struggle, not the war for independence, that was the most important cause.

Would that be the WW2 that ended up in the Cold War?

The IRA would lose support from other left-wing groups - terrorist & political. Supporters like Castro's Cuba would certainly have qualms. Gaddafi probably wouldn't care either way.

When you see the number of splits the Irish Republican cause suffered over the decades, some on the lines of number of angels dancing on pins, you will see that for some it was the class struggle, not the war for independence, that was the most important cause.
If IRA sabotaged some British naval base causing them major embarrassment I doubt any leftist radicals will care
Although can they actually pull it off is highly doubtful

If IRA sabotaged some British naval base causing them major embarrassment I doubt any leftist radicals will care
Although can they actually pull it off is highly doubtful
It’s not in doubt, any attempt to increase the IRA capabilities to that level will get noticed and acted on.