Would Germany had betrayed Italy in a Post-Axis Victory?

Would’ve Germany betrayed Italy in a Post-Axis Victory?

• Yes, the Germans would’ve betrayed Italy later on

Votes: 85 71.4%
  • No, the Germans wouldn’t betray Italy even later

Votes: 34 28.6%

• Total voters
Libyan oil might be an exception there, if either Axis power last long enough to need it.
The Germans would have plenty of oil from Azerbaijan. No need to antagonize Italy.
Plus a lot of natural gases in the Russian areas annexed, though it depends on how much land is annexed precisely and how much is a buffer state or something. I expect the Nazis would threaten any Soviet rump state and have it be part of the reparations they pay the Germans, with an extremely deflated price. There is also the Middle Eastern oil or that of the North Sea, but those are all a bit outnof the way and would partially depend on if the Germans are looking for it in the North Sea and Norwegian Sea and if they have the push and money to get the Arabs selling them oil.

I would imagine at some point a NSDAP gvt would start raising questions about South Tyrol, and would try to ameliorate Italy by offering it concessions elsewhere. I see no reason why this couldn't work - and it's not as if Hitler was dogmatic on the question, as he changed his opinion several times
Already settled with the South Tyrol Option Agreement.

Already settled with the South Tyrol Option Agreement.
Exactly. This only changed because of Italy’s surrender IOTL. If Italy never surrenders and the Axis win the war then I doubt Hitler would change his mind since from my research there were no plans to annex parts of Italy in the event of a Nazi victory. They were genocidal fanatics and their system wasn’t the most orderly but for the most part Hitler and his inner circle had a clear, detailed vision of what they wanted to do with Europe and they discussed it constantly as fanatics often do.

Hitler, Himmler and Goebbels weren’t exactly ambiguous leaders unsure of what they wanted their society and world to look like. Generalplan Ost is an example of this and there are countless more both detailed and broad. Two random examples are that Himmler described exactly how many acres of land the Aryan settlements in Eastern Europe would consist of and how many layers of stone should be used for the houses and Hitler personally designed a six person bunker complete with machine guns and flamethrowers for use on the border between the Reich and the “Slavic hordes.”

Last edited: