World War Z: Filling In The Gaps

• Thread starter Deleted member 87099
  • Start date
Or maybe Truman. But yeah, he's that kind of figure.

Nader's no whackjob. I would say that it's someone in some sort of "wait for the zombies to rot" party. Some member of the fringe left, probably.

Since the elections occur while the safe zone is still being established, I could also see a "Revenge for Yonkers!" candidate who wants to abandon the Redeker plan and go full conventional warfare on Zack. Also, a "This is God's Punishment for Our Sins!" candidate (probably a rightist televangelist-sort) and a "We Must Make Peace With the Dead" candidate who spreads the early nuttiness that the zombies can be reasoned with / worked into society.

John McCain is still a contender for the 2008 presidency, IMO. He was born in 1936, so would have been 72 when elected, the oldest president upon inauguration. Even for someone in excellent health, the stress of the events would have taken a massive toll. As for Carlson's "propped-up patsy" remark, part of it may have been Carlson's contempt for pretty much everyone, part of it the political machine feeding everyone the party line, and part of it just being in a completely unseen and frankly unimaginable situation, and relying on 'expert advisors' for a plan to follow.

Also, I'm pretty sure the election they talk about is 2012. So, Alt!Powell is President from 2012 to within one year of Victory in America day. It took three years for the U.S. military to reclaim all the lost territory after an unspecified number of years in the safe zones, according to Waino's narration. Also, it would be another two years from VA day until Victory in China day, considered the 'end' of WWZ.

Also, I'm pretty sure the election they talk about is 2012. So, Alt!Powell is President from 2012 to within one year of Victory in America day. It took three years for the U.S. military to reclaim all the lost territory after an unspecified number of years in the safe zones, according to Waino's narration. Also, it would be another two years from VA day until Victory in China day, considered the 'end' of WWZ.

Are you sure it's 2012? It just says "election year", meaning it could be the midterms.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

Are you sure it's 2012? It just says "election year", meaning it could be the midterms.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

I think two interviews mention elections. The first is Grover Carlson, who states they got the Warmbrunn-Knight report but didn't want to start a panic in an election year, especially since they were the 'cleanup crew' for the past administration's eight years. Second is the Wacko's first segment, when he's arguing with the vice president to suspend elections, even though he's been chosen as running mate. This is definitely a presidential election.

I've been taking this to mean that the first mention was for midterm elections in that administration's first term. There's no mention of re-election, either going in or having won a second term. If both mentions are presidential elections, that would mean a gap of four years between the Warmbrunn-Knight report, which only happened after the plague went public in South Africa, and the Great Panic/Great Retreat. That seems like a long time for the American populace to be caught so far off guard. Two years seems about right for the report, the Alpha Teams, Phalanx, a winter in which cases dropped (for a different reason than Phalanx) and the Great Panic and Yonkers. So, assuming the cleanup crew came in 2008, I'm concluding 2012 for Alt!Powell's election.

I think two interviews mention elections. The first is Grover Carlson, who states they got the Warmbrunn-Knight report but didn't want to start a panic in an election year, especially since they were the 'cleanup crew' for the past administration's eight years. Second is the Wacko's first segment, when he's arguing with the vice president to suspend elections, even though he's been chosen as running mate. This is definitely a presidential election.

I've been taking this to mean that the first mention was for midterm elections in that administration's first term. There's no mention of re-election, either going in or having won a second term. If both mentions are presidential elections, that would mean a gap of four years between the Warmbrunn-Knight report, which only happened after the plague went public in South Africa, and the Great Panic/Great Retreat. That seems like a long time for the American populace to be caught so far off guard. Two years seems about right for the report, the Alpha Teams, Phalanx, a winter in which cases dropped (for a different reason than Phalanx) and the Great Panic and Yonkers. So, assuming the cleanup crew came in 2008, I'm concluding 2012 for Alt!Powell's election.

Would Edwards be a good choice for a cleanup crew? Followed by *Republican* who dies, paving the way for Powell.

I posted a map on the first page of safe zones in the book.

I don´t think this map make any sense. I mean what should the Russians do in a Blue Zone in the North Polar circle? Starve? A blue Zone would also have to contain the resources to Keep the armies fighting and the population alive. Okay, we have Schleswig and Denmark (at least Jutland), Catalonia and Bavaria are mentioned as Areas were People were saved after a couple of days or even hours out of a siege-situation.

I don´t think this map make any sense. I mean what should the Russians do in a Blue Zone in the North Polar circle? Starve? A blue Zone would also have to contain the resources to Keep the armies fighting and the population alive. Okay, we have Schleswig and Denmark (at least Jutland), Catalonia and Bavaria are mentioned as Areas were People were saved after a couple of days or even hours out of a siege-situation.

It's mentioned late, by the Merc dude, about 500 Maori warriors vs Half of Zombified Auckland. So I'm guessing large parts of North Island are Safe Zones for New Zealand.

It's mentioned late, by the Merc dude, about 500 Maori warriors vs Half of Zombified Auckland. So I'm guessing large parts of North Island are Safe Zones for New Zealand.
perhaps the point will be to create a map (before the the human counterattack against the zombies), using all the available information
I remember some parts in Central Chile were overrun by the Zombies

Sorry if I'm repeating what has already been said, but...

Many of the characters of "World War Z" are thinly-veiled copies of real people, as follows:

• Inhabitants of the celebrity mansion: Ruben Studdard Paris Hilton Bill Maher Ann Coulter
  • Reporter who died at Yonkers: Geraldo Rivera
  • Former President's Chief of Staff "Grover Karlson": Karl Rove
  • New President, black with Jamaican relatives: Colin Powell
  • New Vice-President, the "Whacko": Howard Dean
  • Rejected candidate for Vice President: Barack Obama
  • South African "Rolihlahla": Nelson Mandela
  • "Marty", the director of "Battle of Hope": Martin Scorsese
  • Roy Elliot: Steven Spielberg

See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/WorldWarZ

I always wondered about that... One Tree Hill would be... Interesting, it's right in the middle of the central suburbs. It's mostly cleared of trees (it's basically a park) with waist high stone walls around parts of it. It also has farm fences going around it for the sheep and cows which I guess could be obstacles. The slops aren't that steep however (people frequently walk up it for exercise), the dead might be unable to walk up parts of the crater, but there are roads going to the summit and it's a pretty shallow incline on one of the slopes.

In regards to the Maori warriors... That's kinda hard to imagine who that actually might be. Ngati Whatua is the largest tribe in Auckland I believe but they don't really have warriors. Kapa haka groups sure, but no-one I think really trains with tiahas or anything. Weapons are mainly ceremonial and made of polish wood and greenstone.

Last edited:
I always wondered about that... One Tree Hill would be... Interesting, it's right in the middle of the central suburbs. It's mostly cleared of trees (it's basically a park) with waist high stone walls around parts of it. It also has farm fences going around it for the sheep and cows which I guess could be obstacles. The slops aren't that steep however (people frequently walk up it for exercise), the dead might be unable to walk up parts of the crater, but there are roads going to the summit and it's a pretty shallow incline on one of the slopes.

In regards to the Maori warriors... That's kinda hard to imagine who that actually might be. Ngati Whatua is the largest tribe in Auckland I believe but they don't really have warriors. Kapa haka groups sure, but no-one I think really trains with tiahas or anything. Weapons are mainly ceremonial and made of polish wood and greenstone.

My thinking is a desperate holding action/noble sacrifice that turned out WAY better then expected.

My thinking is a desperate holding action/noble sacrifice that turned out WAY better then expected.

It's just hard to pin who would be doing this. Maori tribes are more something that Maori identify with culturally and via their family. Tribes are more interested in protecting/developing land owned by the tribe and protecting/promoting Maori cultural and commercial interests. Maori in Auckland just live in the suburbs like everyone else.

This might sound weird but hear me out, if you want more militant groups, Maori gangs could be the defenders. Groups like the Mongrel Mob and Black Power are often involved within their communities (especially in Northland where a lot of Maori live) and have access to illegal weapons. I stress to note that these gangs don't define Maori, but gang tattoos and affiliations to Maori culture are intrinsic to these gang identities. Black Power especially aggressively promotes Maori interests. Up North seeing gang patches on Maraes are common (unfortunately Maori in NZ are over-represented in crime and live in the poorer areas of the country as such gang affiliation for a lot of Maori families is not unknown, all my own Maori family know someone in the gangs...). As order came apart, I can see these gangs being the first and last line of defense for a lot of rural Northland communities.

http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/gangs/page-3

Last edited:
It's just hard to pin who would be doing this. Maori tribes are more something that Maori identify with culturally and via their family. Tribes are more interested in protecting/developing land owned by the tribe and protecting/promoting Maori cultural and commercial interests. Maori in Auckland just live in the suburbs like everyone else.

It's possible they were from elsewhere.