WIP Map Thread

Inspired by a recent Youtube video by AlternateHistoryHub, I present my current work in progress, the United Arab Caliphate (still very very very much a work in progress).

Attachments

• ME.png
    ME.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 330
Inspired by a recent Youtube video by AlternateHistoryHub, I present my current work in progress, the United Arab Caliphate (still very very very much a work in progress).
A united Arabia? What a truly unique idea that has never been done before. You random Caliphates just sort of shoved into the Middle East by people whop have no idea what to do there by lazy people making maps. Revolutionary, good sir, revolutionary.

Post russia (please send critisisims):

upload_2018-5-12_10-46-1.png

No one really expected the Scandenavian Union (Orange) to expand into Russia and no one expected Russia itself (red) to go into exile. America (Green) and China's (purple) colonisation was expected and Japan's (Olive) small bit of colonisation was the logical result of the Japan and Russia's border conflict. The space between the four powers was created as a buffer state.

Isaac Beach

Banned
A united Arabia? What a truly unique idea that has never been done before. You random Caliphates just sort of shoved into the Middle East by people whop have no idea what to do there by lazy people making maps. Revolutionary, good sir, revolutionary.

Hey that's really unnecessary. Don't disparage people showing off their progress. It's a well made map and we don't know if there's a timeline or not, so to assume it's a 'random caliphate' born from laziness and ignorance is unfair and uncalled for.

13r14O2.png

this took a week and im nowhere near done painting the map in :oops: im making it using the Europa Universalis 4 projection, i suppose this could count as an ideal world map of mine, (even tho my actual ideal world would be a map of democratic federated municipalities spanning the globe :openedeyewink: but that's difficult..) no idea what im going to do with the americas and oceania yet, id like to have them be purely native but im not sure how to justify that in timeline, maybe i might make each ingame area in the americas a colonial nation??? this whole timeline sprung from messing about in paint.net making a pretty near east and north africa and just kind spiraled outwards

Thank you! :winkytongue:
And the timeline is very much being worked on. It's generally based on the idea that the Sykes-Picot Agreement never occurred, Britain throwing all of it's weight behind a unified Arab state (with spheres of influences for the British and a few 99-year leases on naval bases and such). As time goes on the Caliphate will fall into a civil war but reemerge as constitutional monarchy (with a lot of power coming from the military as well).

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Every time someone is a jerk on AH.com a baby sealion cries.

Please don't make baby sealions cry.

Yeah, sorry, I was being a bit of an ass there. I meant to add in a paragraph in the end about how it actually did look good so far, but I couldn't find a way to make it work so I just shrugged and let the joke go on as its own thing. Guess I shouldn't have...

Last edited:

Deleted member 108228

2 Races, 1 Planet.png

I need help with these borders. The main idea for these borders is that there is no modern ethnicity and the borders should be rational

View attachment 386745

I need help with these borders. The main idea for these borders is that there is no modern ethnicity and the borders should be rational

Straight ≠ Rational.

If it's not on ethnic lines then geography with the occasional straight line in flat areas (Great Plains, Eurasian Steppe, Sahara Desert etc.) should make sense. Also due to the projection of the WorldA map, vertical straight lines wouldn't be straight in real life, they've got to be on an angle dependent on where you're drawing it. The closer to the centre of the map the more vertical the line, as you get to the ends of the map they've got to be more diagonal.

Deleted member 108228

Straight ≠ Rational.

If it's not on ethnic lines then geography with the occasional straight line in flat areas (Great Plains, Eurasian Steppe, Sahara Desert etc.) should make sense. Also due to the projection of the WorldA map, vertical straight lines wouldn't be straight in real life, they've got to be on an angle dependent on where you're drawing it. The closer to the centre of the map the more vertical the line, as you get to the ends of the map they've got to be more diagonal.

Oh, I see, could you show me some rational borders. Also is there a grid for this map?

Oh, I see, could you show me some rational borders. Also is there a grid for this map?

In addition to what I said earlier, if it isn't based on ethnicity, it'll probably be based on the population of certain areas. So administrative divisions will be divided based on that. If you're using software that can handle layers and selections like GIMP, then you can set up a workspace for your WorldA to compare things.

MCfZcmH.png

Latitude and Longitude

Terrain, Rivers and Mountains etc.

Borders, use the straight internal borders to take a guess at the angle of the diagonal to represent an approximate 'straight' border.

As a general rule for me a 2:1 pixel ratio usually works. So that's 2 pixels up and 1 pixel across.

Is there a guide?

For GIMP WorldAs or Inkscape?

I don't know if there are any GIMP WorldA tutorials out there as I kind of just picked it up and figured it out myself.

If you mean for Inkscape, UpvoteAnthology's tutorial is about as comprehensive as anyone needs - once you master that you can pretty much figure everything else out yourself.

EDIT: Before we derail the thread further, go and check out this thread for further advice or just PM me :)