WIP Map Thread

Isaac Beach

Banned
LAKES. And the Yangtze was a right bitch. Now to do all the rivers, and then the cities. And then I might add a height map, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

Yangtze river republic.png

Last edited:

Isaac Beach

Banned
I see you are still sticking on the Gengxin name lol

Yah, though this time as the government regime rather than the dynasty itself. I adopted your Luo proposal for that one. The 'Rejuvenation Regime' operates a bit like the many fascist policies bandied about in OTL; Lebensraum in Germany or Italy's Quarta Sponda. Rejuvenate the Chinese Empire, annex and purge the Catholics in the south and the republicans on the Yangtze, eject foreign influence (except for other fascists anyhow), restore former glory and all that business.

Yah, though this time as the government regime rather than the dynasty itself. I adopted your Luo proposal for that one. The 'Rejuvenation Regime' operates a bit like the many fascist policies bandied about in OTL; Lebensraum in Germany or Italy's Quarta Sponda. Rejuvenate the Chinese Empire, annex and purge the Catholics in the south and the republicans on the Yangtze, eject foreign influence (except for other fascists anyhow), restore former glory and all that business.

No I Proposed it to be called Xin because it sounded more local and classic and it can refer to the much older Xin dynasty, but well maybe people may have different taste in names in this universe.

Also by using it the dynasty may refer her lineage of legitimacy (fa-tong 法統) back to that aforementioned Xin dynasty, which would boost her legitimacy greatly in a classical context.

Isaac Beach

Banned
No I Proposed it to be called Xin because it sounded more local and classic and it can refer to the much older Xin dynasty, but well maybe people may have different taste in names in this universe.

Also by using it the dynasty may refer her lineage of legitimacy (fa-tong 法統) back to that aforementioned Xin dynasty, which would boost her legitimacy greatly in a classical context.

Still great map though, will you do the other states in China also?

Didn't you? Oh, wait, no you're right. Sorry, I mixed up your suggestion with Obergruppenführer Smith's, who is now banned incidentally. I didn't particularly like him to be frank, so I might just take up your suggestion instead, although that might seem a bit petty, but you've convinced me it's a better choice. I'm being very careful with my Chinese here, because it's helping me understand the basics of the language and I don't want to misrepresent the Chinese language or people. Just so I don't have to Yabla it, you wouldn't happen to know the traditional symbol for Xin?

Thanks! I'm hoping it'll end up being one of my nicer maps. I kinda want to try giving it a patterned or pictured border, thought at the moment I don't know what that will be. I'm unsure, I'd certainly like to do Genxin/Luo/Xin/Whatever, because I like the shape on the Worlda, I'm just unsure if I'd be able to find a useful map to trace over and I'm still very new to Chinese language and history. But we'll see. I definitely want to do more Chinese maps, they're a lot of fun(if a nightmare because of all the rivers and lakes and whatnot).

Didn't you? Oh, wait, no you're right. Sorry, I mixed up your suggestion with Obergruppenführer Smith's, who is now banned incidentally. I didn't particularly like him to be frank, so I might just take up your suggestion instead, although that might seem a bit petty, but you've convinced me it's a better choice. I'm being very careful with my Chinese here, because it's helping me understand the basics of the language and I don't want to misrepresent the Chinese language or people. Just so I don't have to Yabla it, you wouldn't happen to know the traditional symbol for Xin?

Thanks! I'm hoping it'll end up being one of my nicer maps. I kinda want to try giving it a patterned or pictured border, thought at the moment I don't know what that will be. I'm unsure, I'd certainly like to do Genxin/Luo/Xin/Whatever, because I like the shape on the Worlda, I'm just unsure if I'd be able to find a useful map to trace over and I'm still very new to Chinese language and history. But we'll see. I definitely want to do more Chinese maps, they're a lot of fun(if a nightmare because of all the rivers and lakes and whatnot).

There was not much innovation in terms of imperial symbols and icons for the short-lived Xin dynasty, rather she was being remembered for attempting to radically reform the economy and social hierarchy of the post-Han dynasty China, and since she was also being viewed as the usurper of the more orthodox Han dynasty, she was not having much fame in the rest of Chinese history in the Confucian lens.

By the way, if you need some advice on Chinese language and culture for your future works, I am glad to help! I also suggest you can find Xianfeng Emperor as he/she is more knowledgable in the history department.

Here is a wiki page for the Xin dynasty:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xin_dynasty

Isaac Beach

Banned
There was not much innovation in terms of imperial symbols and icons for the short-lived Xin dynasty, rather she was being remembered for attempting to radically reform the economy and social hierarchy of the post-Han dynasty China, and since she was also being viewed as the usurper of the more orthodox Han dynasty, she was not having much fame in the rest of Chinese history in the Confucian lens.

By the way, if you need some advice on Chinese language and culture for your future works, I am glad to help! I also suggest you can find Xianfeng Emperor as he/she is more knowledgable in the history department.

Here is a wiki page for the Xin dynasty:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xin_dynasty

Oh, aha, I actually meant the characters, but I found them I think(新朝). Sounds about right, works for my purposes anyway.

Absolutely! I would appreciate that immensely and I'll be sure to do so next I'm working on something to do with China. :biggrin: Thanks.

Woohoo, I haven't made a proper map in ages-I personally blame having a job. And I haven't made a full map of Europe yet. So here's something else I probably won't finish, but might as well show what I've done the last few days.

1aA3gop.png

Can I get some opinions on this?

- How does the American control color on Mars look? It seems a bit washed out and kind of ugly to me.
- Should I label every lunar locale? Or should I have a key and only have the major settlements labelled?

upload6.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
Here's another preview. What do you guys think?

YVifoai.png

Looks great. Is it a surviving Acadia maybe?

Can I get some opinions on this?

- How does the American control color on Mars look? It seems a bit washed out and kind of ugly to me.
- Should I label every lunar locale? Or should I have a key and only have the major settlements labelled?

View attachment 360471

It's a bit ugly tbh. Maybe try a dim blue?
If you can, I'd label them. People love those sorts of minute details. If it looks to crowded, backtrack.