So I know the title is a little out there but bare with me. It is known that Basil II was a very cautious leader and tried to lessen the power of nobility around him. It is for this reason, (regarding many others) that he didn’t marry a woman from the Byzantine nobility in order to not empower the Byzantine aristocratic families. For instance, if he got married to the daughter of high ranking court official, his "father-in-law" so to speak would definitely be very eager to get an extra grab at power. So of course, Basil decided to stay unmarried. He obviously didn't have much reason to because 1) his brother Constantine VIII had children already 2) his empire seemed secure enough to survive without him. But of course, after his death, it became clear of how detrimental that was.

So I thought, What If Basil II did end up marrying, but he married a woman of a peasant/commoner background with little to no familial connections.

To begin, marrying outside of the Aristocracy was rare but it did happen. Even Emperor Basil’s mother Theophano was the daughter of a poor tavern-keeper. Yes, the marriage was unpopular but still.

I can picture Basil II getting married to a (possibly orphaned) commoner or a peasant-woman [I know orphan sounds harsh].
To explain, it rids of the two issues at hand. Marrying an orphaned/commoner woman with little to no paternal connections would lessen the risk of nepotism from his father-in-law. As he won't have to worry about the father of his bride pestering him for power. And if his wife was a commoner/peasant, it might be even better (correct me if i'm wrong).

I'm not sure how they would go about meeting though. I know bride shows were popular in the Byzantine Era, but knowing Basil II disdain for marriage, he probably would've never accepted one. It could be that he either meets her in a humble city-occupation like an innkeeper or something, OR that she was serving in his palace or something as a servant/secretary/ lady-in-waiting to a woman close to Basil/ and someway, somehow, they married and had a child that had already grew to adult age at the time of his death.

I believe if Basil had a strong , stable heir, (by a commoner) preferably one that had reached adulthood and had been made co-ruler next to his father, history afterwards would've gone about much better.

kholieken

Banned
Eh, dont think its matter much.

One child, One Emperor. Byzantine had many emperors, good or bad. One Emperor is not that important.

Rise of dynatoi is because of climate, peace, and international trends. Large farm is more profitable in Anatolia while smaller farm fail in bad weather. Larger farm also able to supportcavalry soldier which become more important. Its not about Emperor marriage or policy decisions.

One child, One Emperor. Byzantine had many emperors, good or bad. One Emperor is not that important.

Rise of dynatoi is because of climate, peace, and international trends. Large farm is more profitable in Anatolia while smaller farm fail in bad weather. Larger farm also able to supportcavalry soldier which become more important. Its not about Emperor marriage or policy decisions.
But ultimately these farms did not end up supporting cavalry soldiers. They became centers for dodging taxes.

Thats a very flawed way of thinking, it is often because of a single emperor that an empire can rise or fall, or that an empire can reach critical condition and be ready to collapse. Look at any bad emperors an example Honorius. His reign had it been replaced by a competent or even great emperors and western rome may have continued past another 50 years, instead he put it in critical condition and we seen the western empire collapse within half a decade of his reign.

Climate peace and international trends have some impact but do not have as big an impact as you think

Let's say Basil's son is born in 1000 and dies at roughly the same age his father did, so in 1066.

Climate, peace and international trends aren't things that he can just reverse by sheer force of imperial will. But nor are they inevitable doom of the empire no matter what, as much as something that Basilsson has to come to terms with instead of assuming he can or should freeze things in place like they were in some golden era.

There is also the question of how he handles any number of other things that came up OTL - Armenia could have been handled better, for example. But would a son of an Emperor like Basil necessarily be the sensitive diplomat that situation calls for? I'm not at all sure. It's not like Basil being "a good emperor" means his children, if any, would obviously make the "right choices".

Last edited:
I swear there was a TL done on the idea of Basil II marrying a commoner...... I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it. https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...r-basil-iis-guide-to-raising-a-family.323796/. Very wish fulfillment and seemed to take the Byzantine stereotypes at face value, but not awful.
8 years? God, that feels like a lifetime ago. If I were to do a TL like that again, I'd have probably gone with a noblewoman, maybe from one of the lesser families, or maybe even a foreign noblewoman.

I believe if Basil had a strong , stable heir, (by a commoner) preferably one that had reached adulthood and had been made co-ruler next to his father, history afterwards would've gone about much better.
Said heir also has to be a competent ruler. The years after the death of Basil were wasted away by the civil nobility, but it at least managed to reap the fruits of Basil's conquest and did not rock the boat too much; that has some value in and of itself.
If the child ends up strangled by the monumental legacy of his father, he could well become an absolute waste; spending lavishly on useless projects, overextending even more, further isolating Byzantium from Christian and Muslim nations alike, or maybe going the way of Andronikos I Komnenos. Either way, plenty of ways for a son of Basil's to royally screw up.

Said heir also has to be a competent ruler. The years after the death of Basil were wasted away by the civil nobility, but it at least managed to reap the fruits of Basil's conquest and did not rock the boat too much; that has some value in and of itself.
If the child ends up strangled by the monumental legacy of his father, he could well become an absolute waste; spending lavishly on useless projects, overextending even more, further isolating Byzantium from Christian and Muslim nations alike, or maybe going the way of Andronikos I Komnenos. Either way, plenty of ways for a son of Basil's to royally screw up.

There might be room for some additional imperial conquests, but it would take a careful emperor knowing what would actually be worth it to finish up what his father started, and not someone trying to surpass his father to not end up with trouble - trying to take Egypt, say, would potentially be spectacularly bad instead of how not gaining Sicily was at worst a missed opportunity OTL but not a blow to the state.

IMO the best thing would probably be someone more like his great-grandfather Constantine VII than his father, but good luck getting that as the son of Basil II. Even if Basil doesn't intentionally try to stop that from happening.

Last edited: