WI: the Enola Gay malfunctioned and bombed Honolulu instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. How would this impact the war? Would the government blame Japan for the attack?
2. If it was found out, what would become of Truman?
3. How would this effect the development of Hawaii?

That’s why I said malfunctioned. Imagine if the compass broke and he made a wrong turn and got to Hawaii.

If the pilot flew the wrong direction it would noticed at once and he would be told to come back. In the event that he somehow was unaware of this blunder and could not be contacted, he would be able to recognize that the waters and terrains don't match the distances and maps he received and proceed to fly back.

If the pilot flew the wrong direction it would noticed at once and he would be told to come back. In the event that he somehow was unaware of this blunder and could not be contacted, he would be able to recognize that the waters and terrains don't match the distances and maps he received and proceed to fly back.

How would he notice?

I came up with this thread when I took a wrong turn on the way to the gas station today.

Ahh, we’ve all done that.
But there’s a heck of a lot more equipment and training that goes into flying a B-29. Not to mention they other crew members would be asking why they’re flying in the wrong direction.

Ahh, we’ve all done that.
But there’s a heck of a lot more equipment and training that goes into flying a B-29. Not to mention they other crew members would be asking why they’re flying in the wrong direction.
Thanks. For some reason I was under the impression Tibbets did it alone.

No, I took a wrong turn on the way to the gas station today, which got me thinking about wrong turns, so I made this thread.
But if they makes a wrong turn they have an extra 3453 Km to get to target I doubt they have the fuel even for a one way trip?

Thanks. For some reason I was under the impression Tibbets did it alone.
Enola Gay's crew on 6 August 1945, consisted of 12 men.[29][30] The crew was:

Source: Campbell, 2005, p. 30. Asterisks denote regular crewmen of the Enola Gay.(from wiki)

So at least 5 people would need to get it wrong?

But if they makes a wrong turn they have an extra 3453 Km to get to target I doubt they have the fuel even for a one way trip?

Enola Gay's crew on 6 August 1945, consisted of 12 men.[29][30] The crew was:

Source: Campbell, 2005, p. 30. Asterisks denote regular crewmen of the Enola Gay.(from wiki)

So at least 5 people would need to get it wrong?
I didn’t know there were more people. I learned something today. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.